The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 4 October 2016, 02:19 AM   #1
Bwaco
"TRF" Member

The GMT Master (1675) I've had since new in 1974 needs service/repair: seeking advice

Hi, Everybody:

In 1974, for my 16th birthday, my Dad gave me this GMT Master, and it has been the only watch I've worn since then, excepting only times when it was back at Rolex for service.

It has had one hell of a life. I wore it while interviewing a drug lord called "the most eveil man in the world," by the State Dept. in the Golden Triangle who was wearing the same Rolex; it's flown unlimited-category aerobatics, routinely pulling +/- 10gs and spent thousands of hours in dicey bush planes and biplanes; it's been all over the world, in a couple of wars, up to Everest, on a 6000-mile motorcycle trek in India, in more oceans and seas than I can remember and in at least 40 countries. In the past year alone, it's been in 42 American states.

Over the years, it was only serviced at Rolex in New York. I seem to remember that when it was closer to new, it required service more frequently than it has after the last servicing, which was at least 15 years ago. At that time, The original riveted bracelet, which had been stretched and eventually broke, was replaced with a newer version. Oh, well (I still have the old one in my desk, in the hopes that maybe one day I'll hit a lottery and get it refurbished). Since that last service, the watch worked perfectly....

... Until today. When I woke up this morning, the hands had stopped. I unscrewed the crown to wind it, but meeting an unfamiliar resistance that made the second hand jump backwards erratically, I stopped immediately. I moved the watch to get the autowind weight to move, and it did, and the watch starts and stops. When it's running, it seems still to keep good time.

But, it's clearly time for an intervention. I got away with it for a long time.

I called Rolex in New York and the service rep told me that an overhaul would start at $800. He also casually said that they'd probably go ahead and replace the dial. Whoa. The last time they had it, they gussied up the tritium dots, and even though it looks fine, it seemed to change the watch. He said to make sure not replacing the original Tiffany dial was specified in writing with the watch.

The reason I'm posting is because I am wondering if it is absolutely necessary to send it to Rolex, or if there is a less expensive—but completely reliable—alternative. Is there a repair service that will match the service that would be performed at Rolex and which can be counted on only to use the absolutely proper parts for the movement?

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 161003-0001.jpg (96.1 KB, 550 views)
Bwaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 October 2016, 11:35 PM   #2
datejust24
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolexssss
Very cool story and beautiful 1675 you have there....to answer your question yes, there are plenty of very reputable independents that will do exceptional work on your watch for a fraction of what a RSC will charge you....Rik at Time Care Inc. will take good care of your watch and have it returned to you looking like new...LA Watchwerks...among others ..
datejust24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 October 2016, 11:49 PM   #3
themast
"TRF" Member

People more expert than me will comment regarding servicing, but I suspect they will advise you to not alter the dial in any way.

All I can say: what a cool story you have there! Hope you get it back in working conditions soon.
themast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2016, 12:24 AM   #4
TimeToGo
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Welcome to the Forum!

Where do you reside to determine if a forum member can recommend a local watchmaker?
TimeToGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2016, 12:29 AM   #5
Bwaco
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeToGo View Post
Welcome to the Forum!

Where do you reside to determine if a forum member can recommend a local watchmaker?
At the moment I'm in Vermont....
Old 5 October 2016, 02:55 AM   #6
brandonwahl
"TRF" Member

I would not send to Rolex as they will likely change the insert and the dial, and your watch will lose some of its charm.

If you are used to sending it to NY then might I suggest doing some research on Central Watch. You can watch a Hodinkee video on them here:

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/video-central-watch

Seems you would have complete control over the service.
brandonwahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2016, 11:12 AM   #7
Rebel
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Sub 75090
What a watch! Hope all goes well.
Old 6 October 2016, 12:57 PM   #8
ryanpatrick
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwaco View Post
At the moment I'm in Vermont....

I'd recommend European Watch Company in Boston. Relatively close to you and they provide good service with a repair staff in house.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ryanpatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2016, 01:09 PM   #9
JP Chestnut
Banned

Watch: Rolex Ref 16600
LA watch works. It's a shame the RSC messed with your lume plots.
JP Chestnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2016, 02:29 PM   #10
Richard Carver
"TRF" Member

Our own Tommy Taylor (R.W.T.) does decidedly sympathetic restorations. There's a current thread "Barry's 5513" that shows his work. He's an exceedingly pleasant person to work with and you'll know far more when he's through than you do now. :) And it seems somehow fitting that a watch with that history would be serviced by a platinum record winning rock drummer. :)
Richard Carver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2016, 02:45 PM   #11
R.W.T.
"TRF" Member

Well that's a pretty unique dial there...you rode a motorcycle in INDIA??????? Man most watches would crater from a car ride through India lol...I know I've been many times. A friend of mine does motorcycle rentals and tours now out of Jaipur...but he used to be in New Delhi. He customizes Royal Enfields and exports them all over the world. He's told me harrowing tales of riding up north on treks as a guide.

If you don't find anyone nearby you are happy with you can hit me back if you like.

For me on that watch I would service the movement, change the gaskets, polish the crystal and take it on down the highway unless you want it to look new again. That is also possible but I would NEVER change that insert...unless you want to give it to me for mine :-) Sounds like...you have a screw that has loosened up or one that has come loose and is floating around in the case maybe.
R.W.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2016, 02:47 PM   #12
pettai
"TRF" Member

Absolutely a great recommendation Richard and

One more for Tommy ;-)) BTW, His Band in 1981 beat Pink Floyd.. BEAT Pink Floyd(and Billy Joel, Barbara Streisand and Frank Sinatra) to win the Grammys .... Sorry Tommy it is time people know, LOL

Cheers
Dilip
pettai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2016, 03:03 AM   #13
Boaters
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV 16710 SD
I would stay away from an RSC and use Ric Dietel or LA Watchworks
Boaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2016, 03:32 AM   #14
fizz
"TRF" Member

I don't visit these forums very often, but when I do it's stories like these that make me appreciate the delicate relationship between man and his wrist watch. Thanks for sharing!
fizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2016, 02:32 AM   #15
Bwaco
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the reply and email...

Re: India—yes, I did a 6000-mile Enfield trek there, Bombay to Ladakh and all over the place. Is your friend Lalli Singh, by any chance? He was in Delhi, but I imagine he still is.

And thanks for the email reply... the watch is working at the moment, though obviously in trouble. May I get back to you soon? Thanks!
Old 13 October 2016, 05:40 AM   #16
bmpregler
Banned

Watch: Sub Date/Tudor Chr
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Carver View Post
Our own Tommy Taylor (R.W.T.) does decidedly sympathetic restorations. There's a current thread "Barry's 5513" that shows his work. He's an exceedingly pleasant person to work with and you'll know far more when he's through than you do now. :) And it seems somehow fitting that a watch with that history would be serviced by a platinum record winning rock drummer. :)
Cool!! I just watched him in a video of Sailing. Christopher Cross racked up the awards at those Grammys.
bmpregler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2016, 06:04 AM   #17
R.W.T.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwaco View Post
Thanks for the reply and email...

Re: India—yes, I did a 6000-mile Enfield trek there, Bombay to Ladakh and all over the place. Is your friend Lalli Singh, by any chance? He was in Delhi, but I imagine he still is.

And thanks for the email reply... the watch is working at the moment, though obviously in trouble. May I get back to you soon? Thanks!
Sure! I would really think about having someone look at it. If it is indeed a loose screw it could get into the hairspring and muck things up. It may or may not be but there is a chance.

No Chris Harlen is my friend.

Here is his website.

http://www.bulletwallas.com/dynamic/
R.W.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2016, 04:53 PM   #18
John Condom
Banned

Watch: 16520
Take it to RSC. They won't change your dial, hands or insert unless you instruct them to do so. Full two year international guarantee and plenty of come back if anything goes wrong.
John Condom is offline   Reply With Quote