The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 13 September 2016, 05:38 PM   #1
boring_sandwich
"TRF" Member

Thoughts on this 1680

I'm thinking of buying a 1680 and have come across the following watch from a dealer not far from me. As I'm no expert I would appreciate any thoughts:

http://www.watches.co.uk/watch/17489...ch_string=1680
boring_sandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2016, 08:38 PM   #2
sfc rick
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1680 Sub in white
I'm no expert either, but it looks very nice, much like my own 1680 manufactured in 1977.
sfc rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2016, 10:55 PM   #3
idle spectre
Banned

Watch: sub 114060
I think you should go fo it
idle spectre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2016, 01:39 AM   #4
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
Looks nice, but I'd ask for better and more photos. The hands look odd in the wrist shot, but maybe it's just the lighting.

I hate these sites that take "studio" photos of watches against a stark white background. Much better to take simple, natural-light photos that are being held in someone's palm. That way you can gauge patina against the person's flesh color, if that makes sense. Otherwise you never know how much someone has played with the photo and the saturation setting. These watches are expensive, people! Can we please have numerous and good photos of them?!
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2016, 07:23 AM   #5
dbhak22
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ♛
Quote:
Originally Posted by swish77 View Post
Looks nice, but I'd ask for better and more photos. The hands look odd in the wrist shot, but maybe it's just the lighting.

I hate these sites that take "studio" photos of watches against a stark white background. Much better to take simple, natural-light photos that are being held in someone's palm. That way you can gauge patina against the person's flesh color, if that makes sense. Otherwise you never know how much someone has played with the photo and the saturation setting. These watches are expensive, people! Can we please have numerous and good photos of them?!
COMPLETELY AGREE. Keystone (thekeystone.com) has a wide selection of pre-owned/pre-loved pieces but they do the same with their pics which is a turn off for me. HQMilton does a great job at photographing.

As for the watch, is the clasp really original? Looks newer than what is on the 1680 for '78? (the flip lock should be flat without the 2 vertical lines) I am no expert though, :)
Old 14 September 2016, 09:41 AM   #6
adam78
"TRF" Member

It looks pretty good to me (I agree about the lighting in the photos), but I think it's priced a little high (but I hear that prices in the UK are higher than in the US). The box is not original to the watch.
Old 14 September 2016, 08:12 PM   #7
boring_sandwich
"TRF" Member

Thanks everyone, I'm going to give it a miss.
boring_sandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2016, 08:53 AM   #8
moabbott
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolx 5513, PP 2526
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbhak22 View Post
COMPLETELY AGREE. Keystone (thekeystone.com) has a wide selection of pre-owned/pre-loved pieces but they do the same with their pics which is a turn off for me. HQMilton does a great job at photographing.

As for the watch, is the clasp really original? Looks newer than what is on the 1680 for '78? (the flip lock should be flat without the 2 vertical lines) I am no expert though, :)
We hear you; we initially did the white background to keep things consistent with the aesthetic of the site, but it's always better to have natural photos. All of our new listings now have a big, hi-res natural-light photo as the main image on their listing page. The product images in the category page will still be the "white background" type, but just click into the listing to see more natural ones. We're also always happy to provide additional photos if someone inquires.

I also have to point out that dealers that offer inspection periods and free returns have a major disincentive to "trick" people with photos. If we make a watch look nicer than it is, we end up paying insured shipping both ways and losing a sale. So it in our best interest to represent the watch as truthfully as possible.

Always open to feedback/criticism/input/great ideas!

Max
moabbott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2016, 04:34 PM   #9
dbhak22
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ♛
Quote:
Originally Posted by moabbott View Post
We hear you; we initially did the white background to keep things consistent with the aesthetic of the site, but it's always better to have natural photos. All of our new listings now have a big, hi-res natural-light photo as the main image on their listing page. The product images in the category page will still be the "white background" type, but just click into the listing to see more natural ones. We're also always happy to provide additional photos if someone inquires.

I also have to point out that dealers that offer inspection periods and free returns have a major disincentive to "trick" people with photos. If we make a watch look nicer than it is, we end up paying insured shipping both ways and losing a sale. So it in our best interest to represent the watch as truthfully as possible.

Always open to feedback/criticism/input/great ideas!

Max
Thanks for chiming in Max! I completely understand about keeping consistency with the aesthetic of the site. You guys have a beautiful site btw. Also, I was not implying that the style of photography was/is to trick buyers. It just doesn't "feel" right...it's hard to explain. Bobswatches is the same way...although their picture quality has improved...but having the pictures bright and washed out (ie. overexposed against a white background) made it hard to "feel" the watch. I know I must sound like a bit of an idiot here but it's hard to explain...thanks for chiming in either way!