The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 10 October 2016, 11:20 PM   #1
danny t
"TRF" Member

Watch: Ball Mad Cow
Joined the Tudor club - vintage content

I have finally joined the Tudor club. Went the old school route though. I popped my Tudor cherry with not one, but two beautiful and very much Rolex parts inspired pieces from the 70's.

First off is one I got from a fellow WUS member. I was a bit weary due to the size but when it arrived, first impressions was that I REALLY REALLY liked it! It is small but wears beautifully and like a true classic. Unlike most watches (which appear larger in photos) this one actually is the opposite and appears smaller in photos than in the metal. It's a great suit/formal/business watch and easily would fit under a shirt cuff when the time to dress up is required.

The watch is a 1979 Tudor Ranger II Ref: 9111/0S2 Oyster Prince.

Make: Tudor
Dial: Original champagne dial
Hands: Original hands
Case: 36mm without crown, 38mm crown included. Oyster style case with screw down back and screw down Rolex crown
Serial number: 920,xxx
Model number: 9111/0S
Bracelet: Rolex 9585 (stamped)

It's a beautiful, classy watch and oozes Rolex pretty much throughout. The fluted bezel really adds a vintage pop and the elegant champagne dial is subtle yet formal. The smooth sweep of the ETA 2784 Movement is excellent and holds time superbly and is bang on to my iPhone since wearing it which is amazing considering its almost 40 years old. The lume on the hands does show patina and I will be leaving it that way. Watch was serviced Sept 2015.

Now the second one is even sweeter. I jumped on this one because it's a 1973 and why not add a second birth year watch to the mix (my other birth year watch is a 1973 Omeag Speedmaster Mark 3). Found this one here in Canada on the west coast. The thing is pristine. All orig. I'm super happy with this one. From what I understand this blue dial is pretty rare to find.

The watch is a 1973 Tudor Prince Oysterdate Ranger II - Blue fancy

Ref. No. 9101/1
Case material - Steel
Bracelet material - Steel
Year - 1973
Movement/Caliber - ETA2784
Base Caliber - 2776
Power reserve - 40 h
Number of jewels - 26
Frequency - 28800 A/h
Case material - Steel
Case diameter - 38 mm
Thickness - 12 mm
Material beze - lSteel
Glass - Plexiglass
Dia - lBlue
Bracelet material - Steel
Bracelet color - Steel
Clasp - Fold clasp
Clasp material - Steel
Center Seconds, Screw-Down Crown, orignal parts

Tudor Prince Oysterdate from 1973 - this was one of the very first years that the ETA 2784 was initiated into Production, and Tudor used these fabulous movements on their Submariners and Oyster Prince models. The blue dial on this watch is superb and simply exquisite! The Prince Oysterdate has a fabulous rapid date advance system, synonymous with the many advances that the ETA company was making, they also made this a hacking grade mechanism. The stainless steel Ranger II case was made in fairly limited numbers, and must note the fact too that the Rolex bracelet on this time piece is virtually indestructible. The bracelet bears the numbers # 9585 and is a stainless steel version with the trademark Tudor logo on the clasp. The serial # beginning with 806, XXX dates the watch precisely to 1973 - it is a matter of fact that the ETA 2784 also made it's appearance on the production dates at the same time, so the serial # is both logically the same and in it's time line.

So not a bad way to pop the Tudor cherry I think. A welcome addition to my modern 216570 Exp 2 polar.

Cheers,
Danny

Excuse the dust on the crystal in these photos.

danny t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2016, 11:53 PM   #2
harry in montreal
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Habs pick 1st!
These integrated link Tudors are heavy, eh? I loved my 9121
harry in montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2016, 12:48 PM   #3
janice&fred
Banned

Watch: all of them!
oh yea the ranger II model really has that '60's to '70's snazz factor going on!

the deep-dish dial style is off the scale cool and they do indeed wear big on the wrist. here in the tropics we have found a few with the philippine airlines logo on the dials as well. tudor played some fun stylistic stuff with the fat bezels and integrated bracelets and as you illustrate that model came both with and without ranger script on the dial.
janice&fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2016, 12:55 PM   #4
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
An absolute beauty
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2016, 03:58 PM   #5
zapokee
"TRF" Member

Absolutely fantastic. What a treat to see both of these together! Hadn't seen the smooth bezel one before.
zapokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2016, 04:30 PM   #6
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Really great pair of watches. Strange that the 9111 doesn't say Ranger II on the dial, though.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1563.jpg (97.6 KB, 272 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1564.jpg (90.6 KB, 269 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1565.jpg (101.2 KB, 269 views)
Old Expat Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2016, 10:48 PM   #7
offrdmania
2024 Pledge Member

Thats so weird that those clasps are half Rolex and half Tudor. Ive seen all Rolex or all Tudor before but these bracelets are a first for me.
Old 15 October 2016, 07:57 AM   #8
forgedblades
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610LV/CokeGMT II
If we are to believe that the blue is a "ranger II" should not the hands, etc match those from the ad that Adam provided? Appears it is a 9101/0 s and not the 9111/0 which would be the Ranger II. The aforementioned reference is an exact match to the OP's blue dialed watch. A case of wanting it to be something it is not I believe. None the less, 2 beautiful tudors!
forgedblades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2016, 09:01 AM   #9
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Quote:
Originally Posted by forgedblades View Post
If we are to believe that the blue is a "ranger II" should not the hands, etc match those from the ad that Adam provided? Appears it is a 9101/0 s and not the 9111/0 which would be the Ranger II. The aforementioned reference is an exact match to the OP's blue dialed watch. A case of wanting it to be something it is not I believe. None the less, 2 beautiful tudors!
OP already states the blue one is a 9101/0 in his description over those pics
Old Expat Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2016, 11:38 AM   #10
sea-dweller
"TRF" Member

Very nice!
TRF Member #6699 (since September 2007)
sea-dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2016, 04:30 PM   #11
danny t
"TRF" Member

Watch: Ball Mad Cow
Thx folks.
danny t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2016, 12:47 AM   #12
Rebel
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Sub 75090
Nice!
Old 16 October 2016, 09:48 AM   #13
janice&fred
Banned

Watch: all of them!
Quote:
Originally Posted by forgedblades View Post
it's common in the watch collecting arena to refer to that particular tudor case/bracelet style as a ranger II. here in the south pacific we have seen that model with stick hands and ranger II script on the dial along with the first series philippine airlines logo. there are even entirely gold plated versions. i think rolex was very bold and creative during that time period with their tudor line.
janice&fred is offline   Reply With Quote