The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 9 October 2016, 02:58 AM   #1
30more
"TRF" Member

Opinions on faded insert

I'm looking for a faded insert for my 16750. I'm realizing how expensive they are. I found a really nice one with blue Iris coloring. But my question is how much is too much. This one is damn near a grand! And they go way up!!! Opinions and advice are always welcome and appreciated. Thanks in advance
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20161005-190021.jpg (41.6 KB, 410 views)
30more is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2016, 03:53 AM   #2
Boaters
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV 16710 SD
The Fushia inserts for the 1675's are 3 to 4 grand
Boaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2016, 04:08 AM   #3
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
Yup. They're expensive, and in many cases overpriced. You could do better than the one in the photo with a $1K budget, IMHO. Good luck!
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2016, 05:27 AM   #4
theflywrist
"TRF" Member

Yeah they are pretty expensive, and only getting worse.
Still remember when I thought my fuchsias at 2K and 2.5K. It was considered alot(and it is). Now it seems like a bargain.
Mint faded submariner inserts seem to be impossible to get at pretty much any price.
I think now people are willing to spend the money but there aren't any good ones in the market.

If you like it, get it.
GMT inserts are a little easier. Good luck!

I do think they are worth the buck personally.
The watch Looks substantially better with the right insert.
theflywrist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2016, 06:33 AM   #5
fizz
"TRF" Member

I second what has been said. They are pricey but what you are looking at isn't worth that price. I got mine very recently for about 800 USD or so. Not very faded, but just enough. And I also agree with Adel, with the right insert (not completely faded, but also depending on the patina of your watch) the GMT is transformed into something that looks a lot better. Here was my transformation:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1675.jpg (117.9 KB, 358 views)
File Type: jpg 1675_new_insert.jpg (177.5 KB, 366 views)
fizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2016, 07:26 AM   #6
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
Prices vary substantially, between the blue back and red back GMT inserts. GMT 16750 red backs sell at a considerable premium compared to the 16750 blue backs.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2016, 07:42 AM   #7
JohnAcosta
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMTII/Panda Speedy
Maybe I'm in the minority but I don't understand buying a faded insert. Like I understand that the vintage look of a faded insert fitting the patina of a dial/hands, I get that. I just feel that you can get so much more satisfaction by wearing your watch and fading your own over the years. That way you know every little scratch and imperfection.

Buying a faded bezel, to me, would make me sort of lose interest in my watch.
JohnAcosta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2016, 11:21 AM   #8
30more
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
Prices vary substantially, between the blue back and red back GMT inserts. GMT 16750 red backs sell at a considerable premium compared to the 16750 blue backs.
Which one do you prefer the Red back or Black back?
Old 10 October 2016, 11:27 AM   #9
30more
"TRF" Member

This one just surface today for $1G. I guess it's in alright shape. What do you guys think? The only websites I know to look for stuff like this is ebay, watch rekon and this one Of course! Am I missing any good sourcing sites?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20161009-211643.jpg (26.0 KB, 299 views)
Old 10 October 2016, 12:24 PM   #10
Paul
"TRF" Member

Euro not dollars ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30more View Post
This one just surface today for $1G. I guess it's in alright shape. What do you guys think? The only websites I know to look for stuff like this is ebay, watch rekon and this one Of course! Am I missing any good sourcing sites?
This one you have linked to is priced at euro 1000 ... which I get to be US $1120. Good seller too. Lots of dealings with him - always most a good experience.

I think most of us would agree that when a vintage watch part that cost perhaps $1 to produce is trading 40 years later at $1000 plus, things have got a bit out of whack. That said, achieving a perfect mix of patina across your dial, hands and insert can add some serious value to a nice old sports Rolex. And in the 20 years I've hung around vintage Rolex, the price of parts has only gone in one direction. That suggests we should buy now .... or (probably) pay more next year

And pity the fella who needs an insert for his 6542 .....

http://m.ebay.com/itm/AUTHENTIC-ROLE...225?nav=SEARCH
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2016, 12:30 PM   #11
tjjma
"TRF" Member

Put any bezel insert out in the sun for a week or two and you'll get the vintage fade.
tjjma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2016, 01:06 PM   #12
30more
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
This one you have linked to is priced at euro 1000 ... which I get to be US $1120. Good seller too. Lots of dealings with him - always most a good experience.

I think most of us would agree that when a vintage watch part that cost perhaps $1 to produce is trading 40 years later at $1000 plus, things have got a bit out of whack. That said, achieving a perfect mix of patina across your dial, hands and insert can add some serious value to a nice old sports Rolex. And in the 20 years I've hung around vintage Rolex, the price of parts has only gone in one direction. That suggests we should buy now .... or (probably) pay more next year

Damn.... Speechless
Old 10 October 2016, 01:53 PM   #13
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30more View Post
Which one do you prefer the Red back or Black back?
I prefer the correct insert on my watches. There are different variations of the red backs and different variations of the blue backs. You should know the different variations of each so one can make an educated purchase if looking to add a correct insert to a vintage GMT 1675 or 16750.

Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
Old 10 October 2016, 01:58 PM   #14
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post

Everything is out of whack from 40-years-ago. 40-years-ago a candy bar was 5 cents.

Old 10 October 2016, 02:27 PM   #15
JP Chestnut
Banned

Watch: Rolex Ref 16600
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjjma View Post
Put any bezel insert out in the sun for a week or two and you'll get the vintage fade.
Maybe if you live on the sun. On earth, the Pepsi on my 16710 did fade a bit after a summer of pretty frequent wear in the Michigan sun. I think you could get a pretty good, but not like what people on here prefer, amount of fading over a spring/summer/fall of constant daily exposure.

If I had a green house, I'd definitely stick an insert in there for a year and see what happens.
JP Chestnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2016, 02:28 PM   #16
okthenor
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizz View Post
I second what has been said. They are pricey but what you are looking at isn't worth that price. I got mine very recently for about 800 USD or so. Not very faded, but just enough. And I also agree with Adel, with the right insert (not completely faded, but also depending on the patina of your watch) the GMT is transformed into something that looks a lot better. Here was my transformation:
I actually liked your original insert more
okthenor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2016, 03:05 AM   #17
fizz
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by okthenor View Post
I actually liked your original insert more
I like it too and still have it, but the blue fading to grey made it look too similar to my 5513, so I wanted something that differentiated between the two pieces.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1675_5513.jpg (129.1 KB, 218 views)
fizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2016, 03:18 PM   #18
okthenor
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizz View Post
I like it too and still have it, but the blue fading to grey made it look too similar to my 5513, so I wanted something that differentiated between the two pieces.
I guess I'm partial to the faded insert
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7166.jpg (93.2 KB, 189 views)
okthenor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2016, 05:58 PM   #19
bayerische
"TRF" Member

Watch: Smurf
Chlorine (bleach) also does wonders.
Old 16 October 2016, 10:22 PM   #20
TimeToGo
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjjma View Post
Yeap..
..and if you expose it to water, the numbers swell up to fat fonts...
TimeToGo is offline   Reply With Quote