The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 2 August 2016, 05:30 AM   #1
rollyp
"TRF" Member

Watch: where your hand is
Vintage Rolex Chronograph input appreciated

Mods, feel free to move this to the Watch Out section if you think that's more appropriate.

So I'm very interested in purchasing my first vintage Rolex chronograph and have been scouring the internet looking for interesting pieces. This one came up not too long ago, a reference 3330 from the 1930s or 40s, depending on what serial number chart you use. It's not functioning and would need a major overhaul, and it doesn't include an original bracelet.

The 38mm case and dial look legit to me, but I'm no expert. The crown looks to be a replacement but I could be wrong. The movement appears to be a very early Valjoux 71 type and the stamped Rolex bridge is a bit suspect but I've seen other early Rolexes with similar ones so not sure. The inside case back has engravings which show reference and serial number but again, not sure on authenticity. The outside of the case back has an engraved Rolex crown which is consistent with the era.

I would very much appreciate opinions by those who have knowledge of this period of Rolex chronos. It's priced reasonably and I think it would make a cool project watch to bring back to life. Thanks in advance.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dial and case.jpg (71.1 KB, 323 views)
File Type: jpg 38mm.jpg (74.0 KB, 316 views)
File Type: jpg movement.jpg (79.1 KB, 323 views)
File Type: jpg engraving.jpg (63.7 KB, 315 views)
File Type: jpg caseback.jpg (58.6 KB, 319 views)
rollyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2016, 11:49 AM   #2
vintagewaferthin
"TRF" Member

Watch: Air-King 5500
Im 99% sure that watch is a fake. Hopefully those with more knowledge than me will soon come along.
vintagewaferthin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2016, 01:22 PM   #3
rollyp
"TRF" Member

Thanks, if you have any input as to why you believe it's fake, please do elaborate.

I forgot to mention the subdial hands are all different. The main hands do look like they could be original though.
Old 2 August 2016, 03:10 PM   #4
MILGAUSS88
"TRF" Member

Dial looks good to me.
Markings on inside of case look good to me.
Want bothers me, compared to a gold ref 3330 that can be found through google,
Coronet on back of case is not signed, gold model has serial and ref on back of case, not inside.
The bridge is just signed Rolex, no jewels listed.
Gears are not gold colored.

I cannot find photos of this caliber in my reference books, so no help there.

Just tried looking up ref 3335, since it is very similar. And whammy.
Ref 3335 for sale at $266. With same movement as yours.

Wow, can't believe they can get the movement and redo everthing for that amount.
Looked futher and it looks like they are using photos of real watches to represent at least some of there fakes. So, back to the beginning.

Looks like they stole the image of the movement from Alessandro Ciani, who appears to be a legit dealer.

That case is signed on back as well. Question is, is this just from variation over time or attempts to replace parts, or fraud.

I thought I would leave my train of thought in completely.

Last edited by MILGAUSS88; 2 August 2016 at 03:10 PM.. Reason: ....
MILGAUSS88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2016, 05:31 AM   #5
rollyp
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MILGAUSS88 View Post

Just tried looking up ref 3335, since it is very similar. And whammy.
Ref 3335 for sale at $266. With same movement as yours.

Wow, can't believe they can get the movement and redo everthing for that amount.
Looked futher and it looks like they are using photos of real watches to represent at least some of there fakes. So, back to the beginning.

Looks like they stole the image of the movement from Alessandro Ciani, who appears to be a legit dealer.

That case is signed on back as well. Question is, is this just from variation over time or attempts to replace parts, or fraud.

I thought I would leave my train of thought in completely.
Hi Milguass, thanks for the detailed response. Very helpful and very much appreciated. I did find the 3335 in Google images which you mentioned. And yes, they definitely stole the images from Ciani's site. Somehow I doubt the replica they send you would look much like the one in his photos, but you never know.

As you wrote, on this 3330 the dial itself does look authentic and the case looks real to me as well. After seeing the Ciani pics, it seems the movement is genuine also. If anyone else with knowledge of this era chronograph would like to chime in, please do. Thanks!
Old 3 August 2016, 06:27 AM   #6
watch-guy.com
Banned

I'm with vintage waferthin- don't like what I see

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagewaferthin View Post
Im 99% sure that watch is a fake. Hopefully those with more knowledge than me will soon come along.
watch-guy.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2016, 07:04 AM   #7
rollyp
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watch-guy.com View Post
Any specific red flags other than what was mentioned?
Old 3 August 2016, 07:15 AM   #8
shawnmarz
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollyp View Post
Any specific red flags other than what was mentioned?
I got Ciani's opinion on this one. He recommends to just stay away, the vibe is pretty off for him. Without seeing it in person he thinks the bezel is funky (should be fatter), dial might be refinished (cant confirm unless it's in person), valjoux 22 is a very common movement.

Is it the photos or does that case look like iron?
Old 3 August 2016, 03:43 PM   #9
rollyp
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnmarz View Post
I got Ciani's opinion on this one. He recommends to just stay away, the vibe is pretty off for him. Without seeing it in person he thinks the bezel is funky (should be fatter), dial might be refinished (cant confirm unless it's in person), valjoux 22 is a very common movement.

Is it the photos or does that case look like iron?
Thanks for asking him

I personally can't tell from the pics if it's iron or steel. Looks like steel that's got some city miles on it though...
Old 17 October 2016, 06:05 AM   #10
Koolio
"TRF" Member

Bezel and case seem correct. Different makers existed for Rolex 3330 case (as for 2508). The version with the thinner bezel was recently sold at antiquorum. The shockprotection seems weird though. Parts of the movement have probably been exchanged at some point in time (like eg the shockprotection). Valjoux 71 is not "very" common. A lot of parts from Valjoux 22 might fit. The Rolex 3330 case has a small channel which is lower than the lugs (stamped in the case so to say) in which the bezel has to fit. Different bezels are therefore not easily interchangeable as the distances have to match. Stampings on the caseback and inside seem correct. The Rolex word can ne seen in the crown if zoomed in, although it seems to be worn off a lot.
Koolio is offline   Reply With Quote