The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 11 May 2018, 01:06 PM   #1
petehk
"TRF" Member

Watch: Just Rolex
Gilt Dial Lettering Questions

Seeking help from the forum, especially senior members,

I'm on the quest for a 1675 gilt chapter ring. Having looked at a few samples, I noticed that the gilt lettering on these lacquer dials can appear:

1. Surface of the gilt lettering resting slightly below the black lacquer surface. Giving the lettering an "indented" look.
2. Surface of the gilt lettering flush with the black lacquer. Looking like the lettering is printed on top of the black lacquer surface.

I've tried to find guidance from the Rolex Passion Report. In the article "The Importance of the Vintage Rolex Dial" on RPM there is the following extract -
"A gilt dial contains a galvanically applied layer which truly refines the dial. There is much behind the scenes chemistry going on, but what it comes down to is that a black layer is coated to the dial using a galvanic process. This coating covers everything, except the golden lettering which is printed in reverse under the coating to make it really stand out. A transparent varnish on top of the galvanic layer protects the dial against corrosion and aging and gives the dial the typical glossy finish."

Does that mean if I see a dial with the gilt or golden lettering looking flush or printed on the surface then it is a fake dial?
What confuses me is that there are many photos of authentic dials on RPM which appears to me to have flush printed gilt lettering. One such pic is shown attached (all credit goes to RPM, I hope copying the pic is allowable with TRF).

Any advice is appreciated. Apologises if this topic has been done already. Thanks.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Gilt Dial.zip (5.07 MB, 24 views)
petehk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2018, 09:43 PM   #2
linesiders
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: U Talkn Bout Wilis
It is harder to tell in photos sometimes and even in person the depth is not constant across all dials. But your basic premise is correct, the black layer is above the gilt layer
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bart-Coronet2.JPG (135.4 KB, 213 views)
Old 12 May 2018, 02:40 AM   #3
ahantel
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5512, 1016, 1675
Below is a good shot from Bulang that shows the depth of the writing. With the picture you have it's impossible to tell that aspect of it. For chapter rings the chapter ring should also be printed with the same depth.

I would be suspicious of a dial that doesn't have any depth - that would make me think it had been relacquered. Usually the chapter rings have fine cracks in the lacquer running out from the text, center post, unless the dial is immaculate. The later non-chapter ring examples (like the picture) have a heavier application of lacquer that makes the dials relatively more glossy. There are some instances of combination gilt text with printed text on top, like the Mark 1 dial 5512 where there is silver printed depth rating and gilt writing everywhere else.

ahantel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2018, 12:18 PM   #4
petehk
"TRF" Member

Watch: Just Rolex
Thanks to linesiders and ahantel for your comment and advice. Will continue to live and learn!
petehk is offline   Reply With Quote