The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 20 December 2018, 02:05 AM   #31
Xantiagib
"TRF" Member

was going to comment - 'some inserts must come up now and again on ebay or gumtree like places for a steal' then it actually happened....
Xantiagib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2018, 03:40 AM   #32
2024 Pledge Member

Unbelievable find. Absolute congrats to the buyer. Sounds like the proceeds will go toward a start on his home and family.
037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2018, 03:46 AM   #33
uncleluck
"TRF" Member

What I don’t really understand about the eBay find is why a watchmaker would have them in such nice condition? Wouldn’t they only have inserts that have been replaced due to damage?

I wonder if he had a load of ex military watches, surplus. Maybe from many years ago when they were ‘worthless’ and serviced them and fitted normal sub inserts to sell them on? There must have been a time years ago when joe bloggs wouldn’t have wanted them with a ‘weird insert and funny looking hands’

People worship this stuff now but it wouldn’t surprise me if the thinking years ago was they’d need to be returned to a more normal look to shift them.
uncleluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2018, 03:53 AM   #34
southtexas
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncleluck View Post
What I don’t really understand about the eBay find is why a watchmaker would have them in such nice condition? Wouldn’t they only have inserts that have been replaced due to damage?

I wonder if he had a load of ex military watches, surplus. Maybe from many years ago when they were ‘worthless’ and serviced them and fitted normal sub inserts to sell them on? There must have been a time years ago when joe bloggs wouldn’t have wanted them with a ‘weird insert and funny looking hands’

People worship this stuff now but it wouldn’t surprise me if the thinking years ago was they’d need to be returned to a more normal look to shift them.

I’ve talked about this in the past with my watchmaker. He said in years past, someone would crack their pearl, get a hairline scratch, or it would start to fade. The customer wanted a shiny new one and they cost next to nothing to replace from factory. Watchmaker pops our the “old” one, throws it in a coffee cup, and pops in the new one. Just so happened this watchmaker from eBay probably had a MoD account.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Follow me on Instagram @ccrolex
southtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2018, 04:04 AM   #35
loupe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 037 View Post
Unbelievable find. Absolute congrats to the buyer. Sounds like the proceeds will go toward a start on his home and family.
Great find indeed.
He’ll able to access his wine cellar from the East Wing if he sells them for his asking price.
loupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2018, 05:13 AM   #36
cardiel
"TRF" Member

Now the right thing to do would be to share any profit with the original vendor.....any body else agree?

A few years ago some valuable artworks were discovered in the basement of my local book shop - they were from a house clearance and the shop owner didn't know what they were until another dealer appeared......one thing led to another - there was a dispute over ownership and when the courts got involved the profits were split 3 ways between the original estate, the shop owner and the art dealer who correctly identified them. Thats my 2 cents worth.......
cardiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2018, 06:02 AM   #37
1675-David
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardiel View Post
Now the right thing to do would be to share any profit with the original vendor.....any body else agree?
No!
1675-David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2018, 06:18 AM   #38
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardiel View Post
No. It's business. History is full of people buying things for a fraction of their value. (Manhattan Island?) That's just how it goes, and the buyer should be rewarded for taking the risk, and having the knowledge.

Also, for every one of these stories of Ebay success, there's 10,000 stories of people getting ripped off.
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2018, 04:33 AM   #39
Johny
"TRF" Member

Watch: sub 16610Lv
Quote:
Originally Posted by highcotton View Post
Every time I see you post it reminds me of this old thread for some reason.https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=186035
Thanks for the link. A very interesting read.
Old 8 January 2019, 12:49 AM   #40
watchronnie
"TRF" Member

m Well I guess it's time to respond to all the guys that have commented on the find of the century ..yes it's true .I had just had major surgery and just out of hospital with Christmas looming single dad in his 60s with young daughter had these in box not thinking .listed as omega .Thanks for all the sympathy and info .....this would have been life changing as partially disabled but not to be ..Happy New year to all
watchronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2019, 08:09 AM   #41
1904 Submariner
"TRF" Member

Watch: MF 5513
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchronnie View Post
m Well I guess it's time to respond to all the guys that have commented on the find of the century ..yes it's true .I had just had major surgery and just out of hospital with Christmas looming single dad in his 60s with young daughter had these in box not thinking .listed as omega .Thanks for all the sympathy and info .....this would have been life changing as partially disabled but not to be ..Happy New year to all
So you are the eBay seller that sold the 5517 bezel inserts? Can you shed some light as to where they came from originally?
1904 Submariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2019, 10:29 AM   #42
Xeramic
"TRF" Member

viewpoint

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchronnie View Post
Honestly, I've had lots of thoughts about the situation right from the beginning... and hoped against one's better knowledge you will never find out. But while it might appear as a disaster at first glance, your safe return from a surgery is the one event that really counts - if you think of luck as a limited amount, it got surely invested here in the right place.

I take my hat off to you for your open handling of all this. Best luck to you in the future and a HAPPY NEW YEAR!
Xeramic
Xeramic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2019, 11:40 AM   #43
southtexas
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

^^^Well said.^^^

Follow me on Instagram @ccrolex
southtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2019, 12:12 PM   #44
Gina Marie
"TRF" Member

I think the guy that won the bid should take care of the seller. My 2 cents. There is enough to around.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Gina Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2019, 12:18 PM   #45
Gina Marie
"TRF" Member

I actually contacted the seller after the auction......I asked him if he had mailed the packet yet and he responded that he had. At that point I decided against telling him what I thought happened since I thought what good would it have done. I felt it would have been crushing to him, so I let a sleeping dog lie. It makes me sad to read his story. Really sad.

Old 11 January 2019, 03:13 PM   #46
Mansell92
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gina Marie View Post
I actually contacted the seller after the auction......I asked him if he had mailed the packet yet and he responded that he had. At that point I decided against telling him what I thought happened since I thought what good would it have done. I felt it would have been crushing to him, so I let a sleeping dog lie. It makes me sad to read his story. Really sad.

Were you aware of the value that soon after the auction ended? It seemed to take a while to determine the legitimacy and value of these parts.

I feel sorry for the OP, but how many of us sold watches ten years ago that a worth heaps now.
Mansell92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2019, 03:34 PM   #47
Gina Marie
"TRF" Member

I saw mark 3s and a mark 2. I was optimistic but cautious.

Old 22 October 2019, 02:16 AM   #48
Bellachioma
"TRF" Member

original or fake?

Hi everyone,

I've recently found this 5517 on a bankruptcy auction...
The Bezel does not seem original. I would really appreciate if you could share your opinions on the originality (or lack thereof) of the watch.

Apologies for the bad quality of the images...
pic 1.jpg

pic 2.jpg

pic 3.jpg
Thanks
Bellachioma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2019, 07:23 AM   #49
SubKing
"TRF" Member

Watch: where do i start??
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellachioma View Post
Hi everyone,

I've recently found this 5517 on a bankruptcy auction...
The Bezel does not seem original. I would really appreciate if you could share your opinions on the originality (or lack thereof) of the watch.

Apologies for the bad quality of the images...
Attachment 1080015

Attachment 1080016

Attachment 1080017
Thanks
Can you guys tell me what you think about this watch below before you get to his milsub question?
SubKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2019, 07:24 AM   #50
armybuck041
"TRF" Member

Watch: Easy Come, Easy Go
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubKing View Post
Can you guys tell me what you think about this watch below before you get to his milsub question?

Hahahahhahahaha!
Old 22 October 2019, 11:10 AM   #51
RC2
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 1675
What is going on here

Member of Nylon Nation
Red Sox Nation
Instagram watchguy97
RC2 is offline   Reply With Quote