The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 10 January 2019, 08:54 AM   #1
sixers
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513, 6424, 16800
Serif 5513

Hello all,

I am considering to purchase this serif 5513, serial number 3.4. What do you think about it? The case looks quite good, the hands and dial are matching (and the hands seems to have a slight corrosion which make sense for its age) I am just a bit worry if the dial or hands are relumed. (Which the store owner assured it isn’t) It also comes with a 9315 bracelet with 380 end links.

Many thanks in advance! Attaching some photos, price is 15k cash.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sixers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2019, 09:00 AM   #2
sixers
"TRF" Member

Old 10 January 2019, 09:04 AM   #3
sixers
"TRF" Member

Old 10 January 2019, 09:10 AM   #4
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Looks very nice from what I can see. It would be nice to check the case-back engraving just to make sure it lines up with the serial.
Old 10 January 2019, 10:10 AM   #5
exador
Banned

Are they going to insist on removing the stickers?
exador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2019, 10:31 AM   #6
sixers
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by exador View Post
Are they going to insist on removing the stickers?
lol, I just didn't bother to as I was mostly focusing on the dial/hands/case
Old 10 January 2019, 10:35 AM   #7
Beelzy
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Doesn't look like a Serif dial to me...and I owned one.
Beelzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2019, 11:02 AM   #8
Dino2000
"TRF" Member

Watch: Heuer Autavia GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beelzy View Post
Doesn't look like a Serif dial to me...and I owned one.
In my humble opinion, looks like a serif dial in fact, please see this reputable source: http://www.5513mattedial.com/Serifs.html

Everything looks right in my view, proper fat font uneven discoloured insert, bracelet looks right, no thumb recess, fliplock clasp smooth, 380 links. 3.4M serial should be a serif.

I just would insist in removing bracelet and check engravings.

Regards,

Dino
Dino2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2019, 11:08 AM   #9
Dino2000
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixers View Post
I am just a bit worry if the dial or hands are relumed
I would say is not been relumed, is quite perfect by Factory period standards. It's a pretty beautiful dial and hands set. It's lovely!

You can see if is still tritium, it should not glow at all in the dark, and it reacts by a while under a black light.

Regards,

Dino
Old 10 January 2019, 11:15 AM   #10
sixers
"TRF" Member

Thanks Dino2000! Should be a serif. Here’s a few more photos if it helps!

Old 10 January 2019, 02:53 PM   #11
Dino2000
"TRF" Member

For me everything looks good. One concern could be rust under the bezel, as an orange mark appears in one of the pictures under the bezel 10 area. I would insist on the caseback to be opened just to see what a hidden underneath and a bezel removal (it's quite easy just with the watchsmith Swiss Knife).
Old 10 January 2019, 03:12 PM   #12
sixers
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino2000 View Post
For me everything looks good. One concern could be rust under the bezel, as an orange mark appears in one of the pictures under the bezel 10 area. I would insist on the caseback to be opened just to see what a hidden underneath and a bezel removal (it's quite easy just with the watchsmith Swiss Knife).

Thanks for your careful eyes! I will do that tomorrow. I think the rust under the bezel might be the case as the bezel is a bit harder to turn then other 5513 I had my hands on. Is that a big problem?

Old 10 January 2019, 03:19 PM   #13
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Thanks for your careful eyes! I will do that tomorrow. I think the rust under the bezel might be the case as the bezel is a bit harder to turn then other 5513 I had my hands on. Is that a big problem?

That should be addressed in a service without much trouble. The last 5513 I purchased had a bezel that was totally stuck due to dirt, etc. Usually it just need to be disassembled and thoroughly cleaned. Rust in the movement can also be addressed, but at a more significant cost.
Old 10 January 2019, 03:20 PM   #14
sixers
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan S View Post
That should be addressed in a service without much trouble. The last 5513 I purchased had a bezel that was totally stuck due to dirt, etc. Usually it just need to be disassembled and thoroughly cleaned. Rust in the movement can also be addressed, but at a more significant cost.

Noted! Thank you so much for your time and valuable knowledge!

Old 11 January 2019, 10:31 AM   #15
sixers
"TRF" Member

Here’s some photos of the case back and movement

Old 11 January 2019, 10:27 PM   #16
J!m
"TRF" Member

Watch: this! Hold my beer
It looks exceptional overall. I look carefully at the details as we all do but also the overall presentation to see that the example is consistent in wear and condition across the entire watch.

Two things I see that raise an eyebrow.

1) no corrosion. We all desire a clean case but no corrosion but this has zero and also very little bracelet end link wear. Odd with a sticky bezel but not impossible of course.

2) incorrect movement screws. That was an eye opener because otherwise it looks like an original untouched and virtually unworn example.

And I also see stress cracking on the crystal, which are not consistent with how little wear this seems to have had. No bracelet stretch, no end link wear (which takes weeks only) and wrong movement screws.

That’s all I can glean from the photos.
J!m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2019, 12:25 AM   #17
Kingface66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1966 Rolex 5513
Quote:
Originally Posted by J!m View Post
It looks exceptional overall. I look carefully at the details as we all do but also the overall presentation to see that the example is consistent in wear and condition across the entire watch.

1) no corrosion. We all desire a clean case but no corrosion but this has zero and also very little bracelet end link wear. Odd with a sticky bezel but not impossible of course.

2) incorrect movement screws. That was an eye opener because otherwise it looks like an original untouched and virtually unworn example.

And I also see stress cracking on the crystal, which are not consistent with how little wear this seems to have had. No bracelet stretch, no end link wear (which takes weeks only) and wrong movement screws.

Agree with Jim. Though I’m wondering if, judging by the brush marks on top of the lugs, it wasn’t recently polished, and revived some polishing on the underside of the lugs, too, which would explain the absence of endlink marks. Also, it’s conceivable that any corrosion (which is odd there isn’t any) was removed during this cleaning/service. Dial looks very good though.
Kingface66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2019, 12:46 AM   #18
sixers
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J!m View Post

Thank you so much Jim for your careful eyes! I’ve attached some more photos of the end link and the case.

What does the incorrect moment screws mean? And bracelet and end link does look a bit too clean. Seems period correct from the research I have done but again, I am very new to this.

Old 12 January 2019, 12:52 AM   #19
sixers
"TRF" Member

Old 12 January 2019, 01:16 AM   #20
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
Very nice example with great patina.

I'll respectfully (slightly) disagree with a couple of suggestions that there might be some minor inconsistencies. I see a well-maintained but definitely worn Sub with some marks from the end links and a bracelet with stretch consistent with age but careful use.

There is some minor corrosion on the hands (makes sense), some minor dirt/rust where the crystal meets the case (makes sense, common and easily removed), and a case that has been polished but still looks pretty good. The crystal seems to have the age marks and wear/tear you'd expect. Great insert.

The watch has been serviced at some point, of course, based on the case-back marking, so perhaps the wrong movement screws were used. Seems minor and very correctable.

The dial/hands are fabulous and matching. That photo under the UV light is the most telling. Good stuff.

The one thing that's missing in all these photos is one showing the engravings of the reference and serial number. If we're going to go to this extent with detective work, we might as well go all the way!
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2019, 01:24 AM   #21
sixers
"TRF" Member

Here’s a photo for the serial number, thanks again everyone for your help!

Old 12 January 2019, 01:47 AM   #22
southtexas
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Do you have a better pic of the serial? Put the case down onto the counter at the ledge, then kneel next to it and tilt your camera until you’ve knocked out any glare and can see them nice and clear. Do the same for the model side.

Follow me on Instagram @ccrolex
southtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2019, 01:55 AM   #23
sixers
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swish77 View Post
Very nice example with great patina.

I'll respectfully (slightly) disagree with a couple of suggestions that there might be some minor inconsistencies. I see a well-maintained but definitely worn Sub with some marks from the end links and a bracelet with stretch consistent with age but careful use.

There is some minor corrosion on the hands (makes sense), some minor dirt/rust where the crystal meets the case (makes sense, common and easily removed), and a case that has been polished but still looks pretty good. The crystal seems to have the age marks and wear/tear you'd expect. Great insert.

The watch has been serviced at some point, of course, based on the case-back marking, so perhaps the wrong movement screws were used. Seems minor and very correctable.

The dial/hands are fabulous and matching. That photo under the UV light is the most telling. Good stuff.

The one thing that's missing in all these photos is one showing the engravings of the reference and serial number. If we're going to go to this extent with detective work, we might as well go all the way!

Thanks Swish77 for the very detailed break down, I can’t express how grateful I am for that. I just shared an engraving for the serial number side. I forgot to take a picture on the reference number side, let me try to get it tonight.

Thanks again!

Old 12 January 2019, 02:58 AM   #24
The_Walrus
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513
Quote:
Thanks Swish77 for the very detailed break down, I can’t express how grateful I am for that. I just shared an engraving for the serial number side. I forgot to take a picture on the reference number side, let me try to get it tonight.

Thanks again!

The font of the stamping would be the last piece of the puzzle
The_Walrus is offline   Reply With Quote