The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 8 January 2019, 06:12 PM   #1
TrustMeIAmA
"TRF" Member

16013 Datejust 36 w/ Houndstooth Dial Authenticating and Service Recommendations

Was recently gifted a 16013 Datejust 36 TT with a houndsooth dial, that i believe to have been made in the 1980's. Would like more information as to the original value of the watch and it's authenticity.

As part of that I'd like to service the watch and hopefully return it to a "like new" condition. I'm located in Edmonton, Canada and it is my understanding that RSCs refuse to service vintage watches. If anyone has any local or Canadian recommendations for servicing it would be a great help.

Also, as i have no frame of reference, would this jubilee bracelet be considered stretched? It is a hollow link design and it currently fits my wrist just right, but I may consider sending it to Michael Young in Honk Kong.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rolex10.jpg (146.5 KB, 291 views)
File Type: jpg Rolex8.jpg (93.5 KB, 289 views)
File Type: jpg Rolex7.jpg (143.6 KB, 291 views)
File Type: jpg Rolex5.jpg (98.6 KB, 288 views)
File Type: jpg Rolex6.jpg (160.1 KB, 291 views)
TrustMeIAmA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2019, 09:28 PM   #2
Vlad
"TRF" Member

I believe RSC still services cal 3035, and thus should take your watch and perform a COA on it. The bracelet does show some stretch, but not bad, and I would not worry about it now.
Vlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2019, 11:40 PM   #3
circles
"TRF" Member

VERY interesting dial. I've never seen one like that. It is pretty cool.
circles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2019, 11:41 PM   #4
circles
"TRF" Member

….and I certainly would not send it to RSC. I'd find an independent.
circles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2019, 03:08 AM   #5
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

16013 Datejust 36 w/ Houndstooth Dial Authenticating and Service Recommendations

Not a dial that looks original to me but so few are around. Never saw a discussion here on the dial but one sold here years ago.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=428624

If your dial is refinished or aftermarket, RSC would require you to replace the dial for them to service it.

But there are some pictures in that listing (despite it being a diamond houndstooth) to help you determine if yours is legit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2019, 04:26 AM   #6
Vlad
"TRF" Member

I'm not sure I can agree with your statement. The dial looks original to me.

Vlad

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
Not a dial that looks original to me but so few are around. Never saw a discussion here on the dial but one sold here years ago.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=428624

If your dial is refinished or aftermarket, RSC would require you to replace the dial for them to service it.

But there are some pictures in that listing (despite it being a diamond houndstooth) to help you determine if yours is legit.

Old 9 January 2019, 05:03 AM   #7
77T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad View Post
I'm not sure I can agree with your statement. The dial looks original to me.

Vlad

The double rail chapter ring is throwing get me off. The subscript also looked different. But if you’ve vetted these houndstooth dials before, I defer to your experience.

Old 9 January 2019, 07:38 AM   #8
TrustMeIAmA
"TRF" Member

I'm hoping to get it authenticated today at my local AD. I'm hesitant to send it to an RSC now as I've become quite fond of the dial and would rather not be strong armed by Rolex to replace it.
Old 9 January 2019, 08:14 AM   #9
77T

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrustMeIAmA View Post
I'm hoping to get it authenticated today at my local AD. I'm hesitant to send it to an RSC now as I've become quite fond of the dial and would rather not be strong armed by Rolex to replace it.

Let us know. It is a dial I’d want to keep, too.

Old 9 January 2019, 10:47 AM   #10
TrustMeIAmA
"TRF" Member

I just brought the watch to 2 seperate independents in my local and both were confident that the watch is authentic. Which frankly is good enough before me, I plan to keep the watch and don't need authentication papers, but I didn't want to be that guy wearing a fake "Rolex".

The only problem now is servicing. Both watchmakers are very well recommended in my area but I got 2 very different quotes.

The first guy works out of his home but he and his family used to own the first Rolex AD in my city. He offered an overhaul including a new crown and tube and gaskets for $890 CAD. $690 without crown and tube but he insisted it should be done.

The second place is a small shop in The largest mall in North America. It is very well reviewed but as far as I know has never had official relations with Rolex. They quoted me $375 CAD for the overhaul. When I asked them about the crown and tube, they said it was not necessary to replace.

If possible I'd appreciate other TRF members opinions and advice on how I should proceed.
Old 9 January 2019, 11:30 AM   #11
Vlad
"TRF" Member

Crown and tube - if the crown screws down well (at least a couple of turns) then you should be OK. Crown and tube replacement is a very standard process, so I understand why the guy who is used to working on Rolexes insists on it.

The Rolex guy will most likely replace your crystal. Not a big deal, but will make the watch look a lot nicer (yes, you can polish yours, but a new one is nice). and he probably even included that into his price.

Thus, for additional $300 CAD I would go with experience. Yes it's expensive, but he probably seen many many cal 3035s and knows it inside and out - and, most importantly, might have a way of getting original Rolex parts (some of which can be hard to find).

Rolex movements are not super complicated, but to adjust them properly, experience is required.
Old 9 January 2019, 12:14 PM   #12
Bxtek
"TRF" Member

I love that dial! I've never seen one of these before. I want one now. Lol!
Bxtek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2019, 01:34 PM   #13
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

It's a very common movement that should be readily serviceable by an experienced watchmaker. I don't know why people make such a big deal about getting their Rolex serviced.

If both watchmakers are highly recommended, there's no reason to believe that the more expensive one is better, just because he's charging higher prices. The less expensive quote is more typically in line with the price of a standard service by an independent, in my experience.
Old 9 January 2019, 03:03 PM   #14
jvmartin
"TRF" Member

I have bought and sold a couple of Houndstooth dials... this one definitely looks genuine... I haven't seen an aftermarket but can definitely say it would be very difficult to replicate as its not a simple print on the dial... it kind of reminds me of carbon fiber when you see it up close...

The watchmaker who is recommending the crown and tube change is likely going to guarantee it waterproof, which is why he insists on it... however, if you don't plan on swimming or showering with it on you can probably go for the cheaper option as long as it screws down securely... a full twist would be nice... it's hard to tell from the pictures but the band doesn't look like a michael young rebuild... looks loose but still has plenty of life...
jvmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2019, 09:36 PM   #15
TrustMeIAmA
"TRF" Member

I honestly wouldn't mind paying more for the the crown and tube replacement just to be safe. The problem is that neither watchmakers are listed on Rolex as official service centers so I'm worried that the crown and tube will be replace with pre-owned or aftermarket parts.

Can independent watchmakers have Rolex parts accounts? If so I would feel much more comfortable going with the gentleman that was a AD for 30+ years.
Old 10 January 2019, 06:52 AM   #16
crowncollection
"TRF" Member

Watch looks good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10 January 2019, 12:53 PM   #17
TrustMeIAmA
"TRF" Member

So I took the watch to my local AD today and literally right after I dropped it off for the appraisal, the appraiser called me to tell me the watch was not functioning. This gave me quite a scare as for a week before that and right up until i dropped it off the movement was working just fine without losing a second.

The appraiser eventually decided to bring the watch to the watchmaker that i went to yesterday that was located in the same mall. The watchmaker was immediately able to figure out why the movement had stopped and explained it was because of the age of the lubrication. He temporarily got the movement going again and sent us off to finish the appraisal.

I have since sent the watch of to the RSC Canada to overhaul the watch but for future maintenance beyond that i highly suspect i will be returning to the independent watchmaker that was able to so quickly and effortlessly identify and fix the issue.

I'll will post new photos of the watch when it is done its servicing. Thanks everyone for their help and comments.
Old 10 January 2019, 01:36 PM   #18
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

An appraisal on a watch like this is generally a waste of time and money, since the appraised value will simply be the value of a modern replacement DJ - for insurance purposes. It won't actually give you any insight into the true market value of the watch.

Hopefully RSC won't devalue your watch with replacement parts. You were warned.
Old 15 January 2019, 03:20 AM   #19
mjarolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Datejust tt 16013
Nice Dial

Never saw a dial like that before. I have a Champagne Tapestry dial on my
16013 Datejust (1985).
mjarolex is offline   Reply With Quote