The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 22 January 2019, 12:56 PM   #1
syahriltaher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, Omega
Price-wise, Rolex has Notched Down Vacheron Constantin from Holy Trinity of Horology?

Guys,

Price-wisely, Has Rolex notched down Vacheron Constantin in Holy Trinity?

Rolex's price is increasing very fast during the last 3-5 years...and easily we can say that their price is more expensive now than the price of VC....

And in the next 5 years, maybe their price will beat Audemars Piguet as well....

What do you think about this?
- Rolex RG Daytona 116505 - Rolex SS Submariner "Hulk" - Rolex SS Sky Dweller "Black Dial" - Rolex SS GMT Master II 16710 "Coke" - Rolex GMT Master II CHNR "Rootbeer" TT - Rolex SS Daytona Ceramic 116500LN "Black Dial" - Rolex 126710 "New Batman" 2022 - Rolex SS/WG Datejust 41 126334 "Blue Roman" - Panerai "PAM 88" GMT - Omega New Moonwatch 3861
syahriltaher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 01:00 PM   #2
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV
Secondary market? Yeah the price for Rolex is high, but MSRP still has VC higher pretty much across the board.

Not that it really matters, the price point will never knock a holy trinity brand out of the group. There are plenty of brands more expensive than AP, VC and PP. you think Richard Mille could work it’s way in cause it sells $200k watches that look like cotton candy? That’s not what it’s about.
Chadridv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 01:02 PM   #3
marc12
Banned

Watch: Blue Steel SD
I think VC is making a great comeback. If PP gets bought out by a big name and AP keeps focusing on their code 11.59 nonsense, VC could be in pole position to make a big splash
marc12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 01:02 PM   #4
blacke90
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP||Panerai||Rolex
Any particular models that you’re referring to? Want to understand the basis of your analysis.
blacke90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 01:02 PM   #5
myporsche
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex♠Lange
I think your post doesn't make sense. Rolex hasn't really increased prices in the last 5 years and Rolex doesn't come close to the finishing and horological craftsmanship of Vacheron.

Rolex IS more popular, durable, made and sold in larger quantities, better resale value, higher secondary prices, and in demand than Vacheron.
myporsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 01:05 PM   #6
blacke90
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP||Panerai||Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by myporsche View Post
I think your post doesn't make sense. Rolex hasn't really increased prices in the last 5 years and Rolex doesn't come close to the finishing and horological craftsmanship of Vacheron.

Rolex IS more popular, durable, made and sold in larger quantities, better resale value, higher secondary prices, and in demand than Vacheron.

+1
Rolex is one of the best (quality) mass produced products out there money can buy.
blacke90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 01:08 PM   #7
myporsche
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex♠Lange
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacke90 View Post
+1
Rolex is one of the best (quality) mass produced products out there money can buy.
It sure is. Rules dictate that more you produce the lesser the quality will be, Rolex is one of the very rare brands that defies this.
myporsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 01:08 PM   #8
Roger Lococco
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126719BLRO Pepsi
Rolex and Vacheron are two completely different watchmakers. Even at the individual watch level, there really isn’t very much overlap - the closest being the Overseas Chrono and the Daytona. But even there the watches are entirely different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Roger Lococco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 01:31 PM   #9
Anthonyw
"TRF" Member

I don’t think you can only use price to determine which brands should be considered the holy trinity. The holy trinity is considered the best Swiss brands due to the complications they produce and the quality of the finishing of the watch and movement. Like the previous posters mentioned...Rolex makes the best luxury workhorse bulletproof watches you can find but it isn’t “haute horology” and is in a whole different category compared to the holy trinity.

Anthonyw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 01:43 PM   #10
MILGAUSS88
"TRF" Member

SS Datejust II MSRP $6,300
SS VC Overseas MSRP $19,900

I don't understand this post at all.
MILGAUSS88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 01:46 PM   #11
carlhaluss
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Explorer 1
Well, I was just saying the other day, at my Rolex AD, that I think a Rolex is still one of the best values of any brand. Not by any means the cheapest. Yes, they do have price increases now and then, but do not price their increases at a ridiculous high level, as I have seen at least one other brand do.

I have just ordered an SD43 from my AD, and I think it is one of the best values of any diver watch. There are cheaper and there are more expensive, but best value.

And I don't really understand the comparison with VC either. I don't have a VC. But I have a Patek and an H. Moser. For this type of high end watch, I also thought each one I got was very good value, although they are different watches.

For years, I have felt this way about the company, and will likely continue to do so for a long, long time.

Cheers,
Carl
Old 22 January 2019, 01:48 PM   #12
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
Yeah the holy trinity never clicked with me. Awesome watches great history but not the type of time pieces I enjoy. I do like the ss nautilus but it isnt worth 50k to me. And ap divers are absurdly heavy and large.

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 01:49 PM   #13
MILGAUSS88
"TRF" Member

I believe the "Holy Trinity" was based on who made complications, any way. ie repeaters, tourbillons or perpetual calendars.
Which Rolex still does not make.

I like Rolex but it is no VC, and it has nothing that puts it in the realm of the big three.
MILGAUSS88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 01:56 PM   #14
TJMike
Banned

Ranking watch brands is just arbitrary. Based on total sales Rolex is way ahead. Price per watch, VC is way ahead. Finishing? VC. Popularity? Rolex. And we can keep listing different criteria that favors one or the other.

In the end, they are both great watch brands.
TJMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 01:57 PM   #15
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by MILGAUSS88 View Post
I believe the "Holy Trinity" was based on who made complications, any way. ie repeaters, tourbillons or perpetual calendars.

I like Rolex but it is no VC, and it has nothing that puts it in the realm of the big three.
Idk waterproof case seems more important to me.

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 05:10 PM   #16
steve099
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116619LB
Rolex is far more accessible than VC. thus much higher sales.

Quality wise, VC is way ahead. Value wise Rolex wins.
steve099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 05:16 PM   #17
Token74
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
It’s not about price for me, it’s about complications. If Rolex knock out a grand complication then it can be considered for HT status.

Patek Philippe Nautilus 5990 - AP Royal Oak 15300 - AP Royal Oak 15450 Blue - AP Royal Oak 15450 Silver - AP Royal Oak Offshore 26480 - Royal Oak Offshore 15710 - Rolex Sea Dweller 116600 - Rolex Daytona 116519 - Rolex GMT 126710 BLRO - Omega Speedmaster Reduced - JLC Reverso GMT Moonphase - TAG Microtimer - Dent Pocket Watch - JLC Atmos Phases de lune
Token74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 05:27 PM   #18
peterpl
Banned

Nothing to do with price. Its to do with horology and complications. Look at the new RM "bon bon" series of watches. Utterly vulgar pieces not worth anywhere near what they are asking. Thats a true micky mouse watch.
peterpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 06:08 PM   #19
ChrisMy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek & Rolex
VC will always be another level when compared to rolex imho
ChrisMy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 07:09 PM   #20
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by syahriltaher View Post
Guys,

Price-wisely, Has Rolex notched down Vacheron Constantin in Holy Trinity?

Rolex's price is increasing very fast during the last 3-5 years...and easily we can say that their price is more expensive now than the price of VC....

And in the next 5 years, maybe their price will beat Audemars Piguet as well....

What do you think about this?
Rolex isnt now and never will be HH.

They dont make a HH list in any way shape or form. A best overall brand list fine... judging multiple criteria like popularity, usefulness, value for money, value retention, etc but you are implying HH so no. Its apples and oranges

An overseas chronograph retails for 30k and a daytona retails for 12.5(?) k. Rolex doesnt make grand complications, tourbillons, perpetual calendars, or highly finish their movements. Rolex has not had a US price increase since 2012 AFAIK
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 08:04 PM   #21
Flying Doctor
"TRF" Member

VC are better made and I agree with others they are poised I think to make a bit of a comeback....

FD.
Flying Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 08:43 PM   #22
mangoseed
Banned

I think not:

Screenshot 2019-01-22 at 10.42.49.png
mangoseed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 09:53 PM   #23
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by MILGAUSS88 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
Rolex isnt now and never will be HH.

They dont make a HH list in any way shape or form. A best overall brand list fine... judging multiple criteria like popularity, usefulness, value for money, value retention, etc but you are implying HH so no. Its apples and oranges

An overseas chronograph retails for 30k and a daytona retails for 12.5(?) k. Rolex doesnt make grand complications, tourbillons, perpetual calendars, or highly finish their movements. Rolex has not had a US price increase since 2012 AFAIK
Completely agree with both posts.

Rolex is not even close to HH and I do not think they would ever want to be.
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 09:58 PM   #24
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by myporsche View Post

Exactly that and Rolex receives a lot more internet generated hype than the other Swiss brands like VC.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 10:01 PM   #25
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadridv View Post
Secondary market? Yeah the price for Rolex is high, but MSRP still has VC higher pretty much across the board.

Not that it really matters, the price point will never knock a holy trinity brand out of the group. There are plenty of brands more expensive than AP, VC and PP. you think Richard Mille could work it’s way in cause it sells $200k watches that look like cotton candy? That’s not what it’s about.
I have to admit the cotton candy RM caught me off guard. I have respect for what they do, but these releases are pretty out there

Sorry guys I know that’s not what the thread is about ... carry on.
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 10:03 PM   #26
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by beshannon View Post
Completely agree with both posts.

Rolex is not even close to HH and I do not think they would ever want to be.
Exactly Rolex is perfectly positioned where they want to be.
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 10:15 PM   #27
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Secondary prices are never a measure of anything, other than hype, and can easily be manipulated by squeezing supply, if Omega were to slash production their models would be selling like hot Rolex cakes too. The better measure is the retail price that ensures the business is still turning a good profit and is healthily operational, if Rolex were to make the used prices their retail prices the business would be in serious trouble... altho then it would probably be more like VC with full displays and crumbling resales.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 10:16 PM   #28
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
No, just no.
codecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2019, 02:18 AM   #29
WaxedElvis
"TRF" Member

It's not about price from an AD or on the secondary market; as others have said, it's about complications and finish. Each brand has their place and Rolex, IMO, dominates their space for good reason. Rolex does what it does very well, as do PP, AP, VC and others. I have a VC and PP and Rolex just doesn't compete on many levels. At the same time, I have Rolex and VC and PP just don't compete on other/different levels. Many brands, many strengths, many reasons to appreciate each - Rolex isn't HH, and I like that.
WaxedElvis is offline   Reply With Quote