The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 21 January 2019, 10:21 PM   #1
Pondboy
"TRF" Member

Grandfather's Rolex

Please accept my apologies for for asking numpty questions, but.

When my father died a few years ago I was luckily able to persuade my mother to pass on his Rolex Oyster Perpetual to me rather than to the auction house that was taking other stuff from the house.

I'm not able to post pictures today, but would describe it as a gold, 30mm (ish) across the glass, with the words Rolex Oyster Perpetual under the Rolex crown, Officially Certified Chronometer above the 6 o'clock and Swiss under the ticks.

After looking carefully with a loupe, I spotted the number 11350 (I think) and Modele Depose between the bottom lugs and Brevete (the Swiss cross) and 6284 between the top lugs. As far as I can see there are no markings on the back of the watch. The strap is gold with no visible marking, but has always been on the watch.

The history I know of is that it was bought by my mother's eldest brother in Hong Kong shortly after the Second World War and given to their father (my grandfather) and was passed to my father on his death. I believe that my uncle bought it from his boss who had been gifted it and didn't want to keep it.

I'm not a watch person, and despite trawling Google etc. am finding very difficult to identify it properly. Also living in rural Spain makes it difficult to take to a reputable watch shop.

If anyone has any input on what it is or what else I need to find out, I would seriously appreciate the input.

Thank you and I apologise if I am just not reading the right posts on the forum that would help me find the answers.
Pondboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2019, 11:54 PM   #2
Mark020
"TRF" Member

Pictures will certainly help.. The reference of your watch is most likely 6284.
Mark020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 12:26 AM   #3
TimeToGo
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Welcome to the forum!

It appears you have the model number, 6284, to begin some research. Look forward to seeing some pictures.

Here are some quick reference 6284 models:

http://rolexpassionmarket.com/watche...ref-6284-1953/

https://www.timeline.watch/watch/195...tual-ref-6284/

https://wannabuyawatch.com/product/r...4-circa-1950s/

https://shop.analogshift.com/product...petual-as02223
TimeToGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 12:49 AM   #4
77T

It probably needs to be serviced. Based on your rural location, mail it to a Rolex Service Center.

Your closest one is in Madrid
https://m.rolex.com/rolex-dealers/se...lexdealers.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 01:10 AM   #5
Pondboy
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the quick replies.

I know it will need a service if I plan to wind it, as it has not been used since the mid '90s when my father became to inactive to keep it wound.

I am going to have to spam 9 more posts before I can post image links , so please ignore the next nine posts in this thread. Hopefully the 10th will have some pictures in it.
Old 22 January 2019, 01:20 AM   #6
Pondboy
"TRF" Member

https://flic.kr/p/2ekXSip

https://flic.kr/p/2ekXRYB

https://flic.kr/p/2deTaC1

Sorry, you will have to click the links until I work out how to embed the images directly.
Old 22 January 2019, 01:37 AM   #7
Pondboy
"TRF" Member

[QUOTE=TimeToGo;9281202]Welcome to the forum!

It appears you have the model number, 6284, to begin some research. Look forward to seeing some pictures.

Here are some quick reference 6284 models:

https://www.timeline.watch/watch/195...tual-ref-6284/

TimeToGo,

Thanks,

That looks like the one I have and 1954 ties in with my understanding of it's history.
Old 22 January 2019, 12:32 PM   #8
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

There are probably six digits in the serial number, not five. Look closely.
Old 22 January 2019, 06:18 PM   #9
Pondboy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan S View Post
There are probably six digits in the serial number, not five. Look closely.
Dan,

I have had another close look and it is definitely 11350. This seems to date it much earlier than I thought, which is a bit of a shock. Some lookup sites say 1920's some 1937?

It would be nice to have a definitive answer, but my plan is to put it in a glass display case, rather than get it functioning, I suppose that I can live with the mystery.
Old 22 January 2019, 08:38 PM   #10
TimeToGo

See below. After 1953, Rolex reused case numbers between 10,000 and 300,000. Thus your watch falls in the 1953-57 category. I cut and pasted the section below from here: https://www.qualitytyme.net/pages/numbers.html

900000 ...........................1953

10000 to 300000 .........1953 to 1957
(At this time Rolex started the numbering system back at 10000. This time period also saw the start of the "Roman Numeral" dating system explained above.)

350000 .............................1958
Old 22 January 2019, 08:49 PM   #11
Pondboy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeToGo View Post
See below. After 1953, Rolex reused case numbers between 10,000 and 300,000. Thus your watch falls in the 1953-57 category. I cut and pasted the section below from here:

900000 ...........................1953

10000 to 300000 .........1953 to 1957
(At this time Rolex started the numbering system back at 10000. This time period also saw the start of the "Roman Numeral" dating system explained above.)

350000 .............................1958
Thanks,

That date range seems more likely than the ones I had found. I'm going to speak to my mother and see if she remembers when her brother came back from from Hong Kong with the watch. I would assume that it would have been in the mid to late 50's as he would not have been able to afford the return trip before then.

This is quite nice as it puts the watch in roughly the same age as me (1955).
Old 22 January 2019, 09:14 PM   #12
TimeToGo

I took a look at your pictures and will post one below. Maybe other members have personal knowledge of this model.
A beautiful watch and I have posted a link to one that looks like yours. Is your watch gold or stainless?
https://www.vintagegoldwatches.com/p...ble-back-1953/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 46827243231_b84e690fa6_z.jpg (249.2 KB, 303 views)
Old 22 January 2019, 09:28 PM   #13
Pondboy
"TRF" Member

TimeToGo

It's gold.
Old 22 January 2019, 09:30 PM   #14
TimeToGo

Ahh...
You have a little treasure there, congrats!
You should do your homework of available watchmakers in your area and have that puppy brought back to life. I am sure you will wear very proud...
Old 22 January 2019, 10:00 PM   #15
Pondboy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeToGo View Post
Ahh...
You have a little treasure there, congrats!
You should do your homework of available watchmakers in your area and have that puppy brought back to life. I am sure you will wear very proud...
Thanks,

I was thinking of taking it with me on my next trip to the UK and have Rolex service it, but I am not sure if it's worth the effort, as I have no intention of wearing it. I think a nice display case that would let me see it on a daily basis might be the right solution. The one thing I would like is to remove the scuffs on the glass, but I can live with it as is and just treasure the family history it represents.

Thanks again for your valuable input.
PB
Old 23 January 2019, 12:34 AM   #16
Toronto Soup King
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1016.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pondboy View Post
The one thing I would like is to remove the scuffs on the glass
PB
You don't need anyone to do that for you. Order some Polywatch online or just use a dab of toothpaste! Be careful not to get it all over the case though or you'll have to spend some time with a toothpick and Q-tip cleaning it. Easy peasy.

If I were you I'd get it serviced and wear it occasionally, though. I still wear my old 6694 from time to time when I'm in a suit, the smaller references look fine under cuffs. This is a special watch in your family, if you had a family wedding or something it'd be an ideal occasion for it. Anyway what a nice story and best of luck to you.
Toronto Soup King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2019, 03:34 AM   #17
rumjungl
"TRF" Member

Very cool dial! You may want to get a new strap/band and wear it for special occasions.
rumjungl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2019, 12:43 AM   #18
Woody
"TRF" Member

That is a very nice watch - I think it is certainly worth the investment required in time and money to get it up and running again. You would then have the option to occasionally wear and enjoy it, which I think would be a great thing to be able to do. Thanks for sharing.
Woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2019, 02:05 AM   #19
Pondboy
"TRF" Member

Thanks again for the comments.

What kind of money (range) would I be looking at for the internals to be serviced? I certainly would not want the face, hands changed or the case polished and as Toronto Soup King points out I could buff up the glass myself.

I know the bracelet is not a Rolex one, but it has always been on the watch and is gold marked as 18 carat, so it's staying on it.