The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 27 May 2013, 11:48 AM   #31
Nycturbovr6
"TRF" Member

Don't worry about the scratches!
Nycturbovr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2013, 11:56 AM   #32
T. Ferguson
"TRF" Member

Then you get it serviced, it comes back polished looking brand new, and the cycle of the agony and the ecstasy starts all over again.
Old 27 May 2013, 11:59 AM   #33
Shade
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of 'em..
Thats why I love buying preowned. Let someone else experience the pain before me LOL.

http://rolexforums.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=33241&dateline=128831  6747

Plus PAM 233, 232, 249 & PAM 417.
Shade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2013, 12:01 PM   #34
busytimmy
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the detectives
Tool watches are meant to be worn when other, more delicate, watches are not - ergo, scratches are a kind of 'evidence' that the watch is being used for the intended purposes.
busytimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2013, 12:04 PM   #35
fespo276
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
I have the same exact attitude as the OP. Great post!!
fespo276 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2013, 12:11 PM   #36
Sean-f
"TRF" Member

Watch: two tone sub
I too was very upset when I first noticed a scratch on my sub but am now resigned to the fact that as a everyday watch its going to happen I try to be carful but sometimes it happens I mean I wear it on the beach in the pool in the office everyday, I am not sure how I will cope when it goes for a service I feel naked without my sub
Sean-f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2013, 12:12 PM   #37
Sherwooddavid
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by capote View Post
I try to avoid scratches. Sometimes I'm successful, sometimes not. I want my watch to look as fresh as possible.
I'm the same way Daniel and agree 100 % !
Sherwooddavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2013, 02:04 PM   #38
Chaching
"TRF" Member

Watch: Many! 116718 GOLD
Scratches happen PERIOD! After awhile....who cares. It's a Rolex! Look forward to service time!!! R E L A X and enjoy your ROLEX!! Sheeesh!
Chaching is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2013, 02:55 PM   #39
ecsub44
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glidelock View Post
When my watches are not on my wrist, they are wrapped in a micro fiber cloth, then neatly placed in 3 ziplock freezer bags (in case the first 2 fail), followed by a large Oakley watch vault, next of course it goes into the safe.

In the event I choose to wear however, I start off with a thin layer of anti moisture wrapping. Yes, I am aware that it is water resistant to 1000 ft., but what kinda of fool would chance this with sweat on the wrist. Next, I put the watch on and immediately wrap it up in an Ace Bandage, followed by industrial sized bubble wrap in case I go to the mall or something. Somehow after all that, I find that multiple people bump into my over sized, bubble wrapped hand. It's like some kind of bump and scratch magnet I tell you!

Seems reasonable.

Commissioner of WEIRD POLICE , Badge # ecsub44
ecsub44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2013, 02:58 PM   #40
mruhland31
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaching View Post
Scratches happen PERIOD! After awhile....who cares. It's a Rolex! Look forward to service time!!! R E L A X and enjoy your ROLEX!! Sheeesh!

That's all I was trying to say...I have a friend who let me drive his Porsche...when I got into the drivers seat he told me to drive like I was mad at it..." It's a race car for gods sake" is what he told me...I will never abuse my watch...I love it way too much for that...I just refuse to get upset about something that's just going to happen over time whether I like it or not..
mruhland31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2013, 03:40 PM   #41
versatile1
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ2 Blue Romans
Quote:
Originally Posted by WML View Post
Scratches and nicks give a watch character as mentioned above. Brings it to life so to speak..imho
I leave the character to the watch designer and the " life " to the winder it sits in when not on my wrist
versatile1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2013, 03:54 PM   #42
DreambreaX
Banned

lot of scratches reduce selling price
DreambreaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2013, 03:57 PM   #43
Baran
"TRF" Member

I dont worry about the straches,my watch must have kinds of adventures.
Baran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2013, 04:51 PM   #44
Magic-Matt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Exp 216570 Polar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic-Matt View Post
Ive got the perfect solution for you my friends!

When I wear short sleeves I put a sports wrist-band over mind until Im sitting somewhere safe! Yep, call me a NUTTER!

I originally developed that idea for wearing while riding, but now also use it when Im in potentially hostile territory... such as a shopping mall on a Saturday afternoon! Where everyone walks into you!
I knew what would be a magnet for some of you guys on the other team! Love it!
Magic-Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2013, 05:16 PM   #45
ecsub44
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub
Quote:

Commissioner of WEIRD POLICE , Badge # ecsub44
ecsub44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2013, 05:19 PM   #46
DreambreaX
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by capote View Post
I try to avoid scratches. Sometimes I'm successful, sometimes not. I want my watch to look as fresh as possible.
same here
Old 27 May 2013, 05:23 PM   #47
DreambreaX
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mruhland31 View Post
and I realized....one or two scratches is a disaster...300 scratches is awesome...
one or two scraches is awesome, while 300 scratches are disaster. LOL
Old 6 June 2013, 02:40 AM   #48
Broker Boy
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610
Quote:
Originally Posted by RolexDivers View Post
...The AD asked me for my sub and I handed it to him.... he said "you don't mind if I clean it up a little?"... I said no ...he comes back 20mins later and hands me what Ithought was a brand new watch ... it was my sub...I coud not believe how beautiful it looked and I said to myself that never again am I going to abuse my watches and I love the feeling of brand new watches... so for the last5 yrs,
I have been making extra effort to keep m watches new looking...

Knowing it could be restored so quickly and easily would have just the opposite effect on me!!
Broker Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2013, 02:57 AM   #49
Daytona-Dan
Banned

Watch: 116528
I'm ok with scratches on my sub, the first one was indeed the hardest to take but I can't say I was overly upset about it. It's a Sub, it can take it. I'm more concerned about my gold Daytona, denting or deeply scratching that one for the first time is going to really hurt...
Daytona-Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2013, 03:00 AM   #50
Joey_V
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Sub 16610 M
I wouldn't say I look forward to scratches but they happen. Good rationalization though.

Current Rotation: Rolex Submariner Date (M) - 1/08, Rolex Milgauss GV (V) - 2/10, Rolex SS Black Daytona (V) - 6/10, Rolex GMTIIC (G) - 5/11, TAG Heuer Silverstone (286/1860) - 1/2015
Former-watches: Omega PO/2535.80/2254, TAG Carrera/F1x2/Monaco, Panerai 312K/292L
Wish List: Panerai 270/505, Rolex SMURF, Rolex RG Daytona, Rolex DSSD
Joey_V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2013, 03:24 AM   #51
tedscott3
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LV
Good to see a post like this. Too many posts about people babying their sports Rolex's too much.
tedscott3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2013, 03:33 AM   #52
darwin1992
"TRF" Member

I think a few of the different views here tend to depend upon whether you are planning on flipping your watch in the future and the re-sale value if it gets too battered. I for one love the memories my scratches bring. I know my explorer II has been surfing and snorkeling in Hawaii, Maui, Barbados, Mexico as well as climbing up Mount Sinai in Egypt. I love the history those marks bring me and the smiles I get when I look at it.

My local AD saw my wearing my Speedy 3570 and asked if I wanted some cleaner to buff out the scratches on the hesalite. I told him no way, I love the scratches. If you worried about the hesalite getting scratched, get a Chrystal glass instead. These things are for wearing :)

Last edited by darwin1992; 6 June 2013 at 03:35 AM.. Reason: spelling
darwin1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2013, 04:32 AM   #53
T. Ferguson
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I'd believe you were just joking about the sweat band thing if you hadn't already posted this:

Quote:
Think Id pass on the blender part! Gotta say Im impressed with your self-fullfilling psychological U-turn on this issue! Ive never managed to get that far in all the years ive owned luxury watches! As soon as I get a scratch out comes the restoration kit! Having said that, Im veryyyyyyy careful and each top puppy only gets about 2 days wrist-rotor time per month!

Anyway, well done you for looking at things the sensible/logical way, wish I could manage to do that same, but Im a sucker for OCD!
My point is, why back pedal? Personally I see nothing wrong with taking care of your stuff. For me I just wear my watches and not worry too much about them, but I am careful. And I don't wear them in situations that are bound to cause nicks and scrapes where some others don't seem to mind. My watch stays in bed if I go to the beach (it's the tan line and the sand that worries me, not the water), tinkering under the hood of the car, working out at the gym, etc. I'd rather it look nice longer than risk damage by wearing it in those kinds of situations when it's likely to get in the way and incur damage. Maybe you're a little more cautious than me in what you perceive as a threat (like the shopping mall). But other than that the only difference between us is I'd just leave it at home.

That's just me. I simply don't wear a watch all the time without exception like some do. It usually doesn't go on the wrist unless I'm leaving the house and it comes off when I get home. I don't wear one to bed or in the shower either. So it doesn't bother me to leave it at home if I'm going somewhere it is likely to encounter abuse. To each his own.
Old 6 June 2013, 08:19 AM   #54
drjfc62

Watch: DSSD, TT sub
I prefer to think of my watches as aging along with me. Both of us acquire dings here and there, but hopefully they just reflect added character. Nothing to stress about.
drjfc62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2013, 08:33 AM   #55
threemonkeys
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMTIIc, AK, LVc
Off topic - but my wife put a nice dent into our otherwise pristine Honda Odyssey the other day. I congratulated her on the wonderful character mark and said I look forward to many, many more.

You kids see what I just did?
threemonkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2013, 08:34 AM   #56
FeelingTheBlues
"TRF" Member

Watch: If you wish...
Quote:
Originally Posted by threemonkeys View Post
Off topic - but my wife put a nice dent into our otherwise pristine Honda Odyssey the other day. I congratulated her on the wonderful character mark and said I look forward to many, many more.

You kids see what I just did?
I saw it indeed, you tried to make us believe that your wife is the one responsible for the dent...
On va hisser le drapeau blanc un point c'est tout.

- André Fortin
FeelingTheBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2013, 08:35 AM   #57
threemonkeys
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMTIIc, AK, LVc
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelingTheBlues View Post
I saw it indeed, you tried to make us believe that your wife is the one responsible for the dent...
Chris?
threemonkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2013, 11:16 AM   #58
tobmis01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610 LN
My first "nice" watch was an Omega SMP. I babied it, polished it, etc, then accidentally scratched the bezel on a concrete column. I stopped caring as much and over the years acquired quite a few more scratches and scuffs. Each one had a story and you don't realize it until it is gone. I sold it, regret it, and I wish I could tell the new owner the history.
My grandfather passed his old Elgin down to me. Lots of scratches and not outwardly valuable, but if it could talk it would have stories about the old tractor or chevy that would be priceless.
Don't worry about the scratches if you plan to keep it. I have a few watches that I like to keep pristine in the safe but I have my daily sub that I'm pretty sure will (hopefully) be passed down - scratches, stories and all.
tobmis01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2013, 12:33 PM   #59
Brenngun
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex & Tudor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolex-10 View Post
Would you be happy having another personal item scratched more because as it adds character.
No.
au contraire mon ami. My dining room harvest table has been in our family for 4 generations. It's virtually a scratches, nicks & dents magnate. Each and every one tells a story of my family history. Every new one makes me smile and definitely adds character. Every time we sit down for a family meal I can look around and see marks I left as a child, scratches my father made while fixing a toaster, dents and dings both my grandfather and great grandfather made when they were alive. Every past and present member of my family have left their marks. It keeps me linked to my past and reminds me of where I came from. There's something comforting about that.
Brenngun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2013, 01:12 PM   #60
mruhland31
"TRF" Member

I think some people missed the point of why I made the original post..I take very good care of my watch..I'm not trying to get scratches...my point was that if you're going to wear your watch every day like me they are just going to happen...it's like this...after twenty years the watch is going to have some patina...right?? Lume won't be the same brightness...right??? I love how those vintage watches look and would never have a dial reprinted...I'm just going to let it age...part of that aging will be scratches...I'm not out looking for them but they are going to happen...
mruhland31 is offline   Reply With Quote