The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 13 June 2013, 01:09 AM   #1
mike@ec
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Explorer II,
Watch winders

Hi fellow TRF members,

I would like to know do most of you guys use a watch winder ? because I have heard from several people that they can actually do harm.. is this true or just a myth

is this because of the cheaper ones on the market as compared to say an Orbita (spelling) ?

and if you don't use one, do you just wind them, or where them when brushing your teeth
mike@ec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2013, 01:14 AM   #2
Daytona-Dan
Banned

Watch: 116528
It's not going to harm anything but you're putting a lot of extra wear onto the movement for no reason. I use one but only when I know I'll be swapping back again in a few days, if not, I just let it run down.

Also remember to get a bi-directional winder (one that winds both ways). Repeated turning in the same direction is not ideal. Again, it's not bad for it, but if you're shopping for one, you may as well make sure it supports it. You also don't want one that constantly turns without a rest (aka the cheap ones). A good one will turn both ways for 15 minutes and rest for 15 minutes (for example).
Daytona-Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2013, 01:22 AM   #3
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@ec View Post
Hi fellow TRF members,

I would like to know do most of you guys use a watch winder ? because I have heard from several people that they can actually do harm.. is this true or just a myth

is this because of the cheaper ones on the market as compared to say an Orbita (spelling) ?

and if you don't use one, do you just wind them, or where them when brushing your teeth
The only winder I use or have ever needed and what Rolex watches were designed for and most have two they are called wrists,the finest watch winders in the world and completely free.And Rolex still puts a winding crown on there oyster watches that's what its for winding and setting the watch.If not needed to tell the time on the wrist then just let it stop and rest, then re-wind reset and off you go when its needed take less than 30 seconds.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2013, 01:27 AM   #4
Elusion
"TRF" Member

Watch: Speedy&Submariner
I don't use one. Even if I had a watch for every day of the week I probably wouldn't use one.
I didn't wear my Sub over the long weekend: by the time I picked it up, set it, and put it on my wrist it was running.
Elusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2013, 01:53 AM   #5
smallcandle
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610, Omega PO
Wear it, problem solved...

Things got out of control and I had to stab a clown...
smallcandle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2013, 02:53 AM   #6
petenyc
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
just wear it and wind as needed
petenyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2013, 03:00 AM   #7
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Winders are wonderful. My Sub ran nonstop on my wrist and winder for 15 years and after its first routine service after 15 years, the watch needed nothing.....