The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 10 October 2016, 08:54 PM   #1
Mickey138
"TRF" Member

Rolex 1603 circa 1973 Bracelet request

Hi all,

New to the forum, so nice to meet you all! I recently got hold of a Rolex Datejust 1603, however, it did not come with an original bracelet. Does anyone on here sell them or know anyone that sells them, as i got a quote from Rolex for £900! There are a few on eBay but worried about the authenticy of these. I've attached my watch with a bracelet I got as a temporary and also on a leather strap.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4170.jpg (36.5 KB, 194 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4169.jpg (47.4 KB, 197 views)
Mickey138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2016, 10:55 PM   #2
zapokee
"TRF" Member

Beautiful piece!

I'd splash out on the 900 for the original Rolex bracelet. The peace of mind in knowing that it's the real thing will pay massive dividends over the years.

Second-hand bracelets are a minefield of getting stretch repaired, finding one that will fit you, and worrying about authenticity. They also often aren't much cheaper than buying a new one.

Do yourself a favor.
zapokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2016, 01:28 AM   #3
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
I'd get a used, period-correct Jubilee. Yes, it can be challenging finding the right one with minimal stretch and making sure it's authentic, but it's doable, especially if you're buying from a respected dealer here or over on VRF. Good luck!
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2016, 01:59 AM   #4
lpestre
2024 Pledge Member

You can find a nice jubilee, you just have to be patient. Once I bought an old 1603 to have a period correct jubilee for my GMT 1675.
lpestre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2016, 12:09 PM   #5
janice&fred
Banned

Watch: all of them!
Quote:
Originally Posted by swish77 View Post
I'd get a used, period-correct Jubilee. Yes, it can be challenging finding the right one with minimal stretch and making sure it's authentic, but it's doable, especially if you're buying from a respected dealer here or over on VRF. Good luck!
i agree. i can't imagine paying the price for a factory new jubilee that is almost approaching the value of the entire vintage watch INCLUDING the second hand bracelet. most watch collector sites such as this one and VRF have plenty of members selling quite nice second hand bracelets for very affordable prices.

would only take an hour or two to find quite a few examples to choose from
janice&fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2016, 12:25 PM   #6
janice&fred
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by zapokee View Post
Beautiful piece!

I'd splash out on the 900 for the original Rolex bracelet. The peace of mind in knowing that it's the real thing will pay massive dividends over the years.

Second-hand bracelets are a minefield of getting stretch repaired, finding one that will fit you, and worrying about authenticity. They also often aren't much cheaper than buying a new one.

Do yourself a favor.
1) stretch repair is not a minefield at all. quite easily done by MK and relatively cheap.

2) finding one that will fit you? links are easily sourced and installed.

3) authenticity and they aren't much cheaper than buying a new one? stick to watch forums as authenticity is guaranteed by known forum members selling their items. 900 British pounds vs $450 to $700 for a good used SS jubilee? even if a high priced $700 example was misrepresented and needed to be tightened by MK it's still considerably cheaper than 900 British pounds.

the OP is asking for advice on a '73 era vintage watch in the vintage section of the forum. best advice would be to keep it as close to original configuration as possible and of course economically. slapping on expensive factory new bracelets would be advice more likely read the general rolex section of this forum no?
Old 11 October 2016, 07:23 PM   #7
Mickey138
"TRF" Member

Hi all, thanks to everyone's reply! I think I agree with you Janice, I want to keep the originality of the watch as much as possible, so ideally a used SS Jubilee would be perfect. You mentioned that there are few people on this forum that sell them, would it be possible to let me know who these people are? Or does anyone here know anyone that could sell me a used bracelet?
Old 11 October 2016, 07:43 PM   #8
Mickey138
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swish77 View Post
Thanks for the reply swish. It would be great if I can find one that's period correct. Is anyone on here particularly known for sourcing/selling bracelets?
Old 11 October 2016, 08:12 PM   #9
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

I'm guessing you have a mid-to-high 3 million serial number on your 1603. Finding a period correct jubilee is a longer shot than finding another 1603 with its jubilee intact in the same general serial number range. You could harvest the bracelet for your current 1603 head and resell the new one on a strap.

The price you get should not be much less than the $$$ you'd pay for an era correct jubilee alone. The other possibility is you find a dial combo you like better during your search - so it's essentially a flip when you're finished.

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2016, 09:20 PM   #10
themaninblack
"TRF" Member

A bit of 1603 talk at the moment on the forum so I decided to pull my rarely worn 1970 grey on jubilee out of hibernation. Hands lume a bit discoloured but not a bad looking watch! Im sure you will find a period jubilee.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3641.jpg (87.6 KB, 134 views)
themaninblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2016, 10:33 PM   #11
janice&fred
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by themaninblack View Post
A bit of 1603 talk at the moment on the forum so I decided to pull my rarely worn 1970 grey on jubilee out of hibernation. Hands lume a bit discoloured but not a bad looking watch! Im sure you will find a period jubilee.
damn nice lookin watch you got there and those hands are AOK

i'm loving all these datejust discussions lately and it's real nice to see so many fellow enthusiasts here
Old 12 October 2016, 08:29 PM   #12
Mickey138
"TRF" Member

Great looking watch! Very jealous with the black dial!!!
Old 12 October 2016, 09:09 PM   #13
RKTudor
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor 79090 blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpestre View Post
You can find a nice jubilee, you just have to be patient. Once I bought an old 1603 to have a period correct jubilee for my GMT 1675.
Reading this made me feel better ;) just bought a decrepit, not working, refinished dial Tudor sub strictly bc it's bracelet was perfect and full linked.
RKTudor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2016, 09:12 AM   #14
teb1013
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by janice&fred View Post
1) stretch repair is not a minefield at all. quite easily done by MK and relatively cheap.

2) finding one that will fit you? links are easily sourced and installed.

3) authenticity and they aren't much cheaper than buying a new one? stick to watch forums as authenticity is guaranteed by known forum members selling their items. 900 British pounds vs $450 to $700 for a good used SS jubilee? even if a high priced $700 example was misrepresented and needed to be tightened by MK it's still considerably cheaper than 900 British pounds.

the OP is asking for advice on a '73 era vintage watch in the vintage section of the forum. best advice would be to keep it as close to original configuration as possible and of course economically. slapping on expensive factory new bracelets would be advice more likely read the general rolex section of this forum no?

I went through the same thing, getting a used jubilee for my DJ. It has considerable stretch, however. I would like to get this fixed. Who and where is MK?
Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
teb1013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2016, 11:49 AM   #15
zapokee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
1)
All fair views.

I'd go for the new bracelet based on my (admittedly unlucky) experiences trying to source vintage bracelets and ship Rolex stuff internationally. The variables involved mean that solutions may differ.
zapokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2016, 11:52 AM   #16
janice&fred
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by teb1013 View Post
I went through the same thing, getting a used jubilee for my DJ. It has considerable stretch, however. I would like to get this fixed. Who and where is MK?
Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
hi and sorry that was my mistake and please excuse my poor typing. MK was meant to be MY... short for Michael Young. he runs a bracelet and watch resto biz in Hong Kong and a quick search here will turn up his contact info as well as an interesting thread by him on his talented bracelet resto process.

Old 13 October 2016, 11:54 AM   #17
janice&fred
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by zapokee View Post
All fair views.

I'd go for the new bracelet based on my (admittedly unlucky) experiences trying to source vintage bracelets and ship Rolex stuff internationally. The variables involved mean that solutions may differ.
yes true and i see your point.
Old 14 October 2016, 01:14 AM   #18
themaninblack
"TRF" Member

Quote:
damn nice lookin watch you got there and those hands are AOK

i'm loving all these datejust discussions lately and it's real nice to see so many fellow enthusiasts here
Thanks. Yes i like the sports models as much as anyone I suppose but there are other Rolex watches worthy of our attention.
themaninblack is offline   Reply With Quote