The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 11 March 2024, 04:25 AM   #1
gamingdoctor
"TRF" Member

Unfortuante repair situation

https://imgur.com/a/boEjvuy

Wanted to get your thoughts on how I should proceed with an unfortunate repair situation. I bought a used Omega PO ceramic black 39.5 (beautiful watch!) last year. Being a clumsy fool I dropped it, probably less than 2 feet, from my hand to the bathroom floor and the ceramic chipped – can see the picture – near the lug hole. I sent it in to my watch dealer who stated if they were the ones to send it to Omega, they could perhaps get a discount on the repair.

I do just that – last month I get an email from the watch dealer saying that Omega, in an effort to take out the strap, worsened the damage on the watch. They stated it now cost $4800 to fix (a used watch value at around $8500, mind you). Omega offered 25% off due to the damage they caused, now at around $3600. My dealership offered another $600 off.

On one hand, I am happy that they offered the discount, acknowledging the damage they caused. On the other, despite my clumsiness, I’m furious that the cost of repair is so high for a seemingly small drop for the watch! I had been tempted to ask the dealership to allow me pay for the repair and then return the watch for the full value it was sold to me; I’m certainly aware they’re under no obligation to do this for me.

Curious to your thoughts on this.
gamingdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2024, 04:39 AM   #2
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
So you broke/damaged your watch, want it repaired, then want the Dealer to buy it back for what you bought it for?

The break requires a new mid-case, and they seem to be willing to cut you a pretty good deal on a replacement.

I doubt that the Dealer would be willing to take that kind of loss
Old 11 March 2024, 04:43 AM   #3
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamingdoctor View Post
https://imgur.com/a/boEjvuy

Wanted to get your thoughts on how I should proceed with an unfortunate repair situation. I bought a used Omega PO ceramic black 39.5 (beautiful watch!) last year. Being a clumsy fool I dropped it, probably less than 2 feet, from my hand to the bathroom floor and the ceramic chipped – can see the picture – near the lug hole. I sent it in to my watch dealer who stated if they were the ones to send it to Omega, they could perhaps get a discount on the repair.

I do just that – last month I get an email from the watch dealer saying that Omega, in an effort to take out the strap, worsened the damage on the watch. They stated it now cost $4800 to fix (a used watch value at around $8500, mind you). Omega offered 25% off due to the damage they caused, now at around $3600. My dealership offered another $600 off.

On one hand, I am happy that they offered the discount, acknowledging the damage they caused. On the other, despite my clumsiness, I’m furious that the cost of repair is so high for a seemingly small drop for the watch! I had been tempted to ask the dealership to allow me pay for the repair and then return the watch for the full value it was sold to me; I’m certainly aware they’re under no obligation to do this for me.

Curious to your thoughts on this.
Why?
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2024, 05:39 AM   #4
gamingdoctor
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
So you broke/damaged your watch, want it repaired, then want the Dealer to buy it back for what you bought it for?

The break requires a new mid-case, and they seem to be willing to cut you a pretty good deal on a replacement.

I doubt that the Dealer would be willing to take that kind of loss
I'd cover the cost of repair. A detail I missed out on is that I only had the watch for about a month before it happened, essentially the AD is getting their watch back in freshly repaired condition with an Omega warranty.
Old 11 March 2024, 05:53 AM   #5
AEC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Idiot Savant
Stuff is expensive. I think you should have it repaired and enjoy wearing it.
AEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2024, 05:56 AM   #6
rushca01
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT BLRO
I don’t understand asking the AD to take the watch back? Do you have buyers remorse now, that’s on you not the dealer. Sounds like your option is to get a new mid case and sell it.
rushca01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2024, 05:58 AM   #7
2001jesper
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116234
The time you had the watch is irrelevant and ultimately you are the one who dropped it. The dealer is for profit, and they will not take the deal (you can of course always ask) - They will max offer you a wholesale price, assuming they buy pre-loved watches. Think both Omega and the dealer are already going beyond in trying to find a good solution for you. Bite the apple and move on
2001jesper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2024, 06:16 AM   #8
gamingdoctor
"TRF" Member

Yeah I agree, I might just eat the cost, expensive life lesson, move along.
Old 11 March 2024, 06:28 AM   #9
rushca01
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT BLRO
No worries op. You just made the case against ceramic mid cases. Were that SS it would have probably survived the fall or at worst been dented and someone like Rolliworks could have fixed it for a very reasonable cost.
rushca01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2024, 06:38 AM   #10
Tricolore66
"TRF" Member

If you crash your new car on the way home from the dealership they don't give you a new one! Do you have watch insurance or does your homeowner's insurance have a watch/jewlelry rider?

The issues with ceramic cases are well-documented. Ceramic is great, until it isn't, and then you're faced with the situation you're in.

I'd say if you can get this fixed for a net of $3k then you should consider that a win, fix the watch, and be more careful with it.
Tricolore66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2024, 08:47 AM   #11
Trogster
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me
$hit happens.

Get it repaired and enjoy your watch for years to come.
Trogster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2024, 09:02 AM   #12
Tools

Quote:
I'd cover the cost of repair. A detail I missed out on is that I only had the watch for about a month before it happened, essentially the AD is getting their watch back in freshly repaired condition with an Omega warranty.
Lol...

The repair cost goes to the Service Center, the Dealer is a courtesy pass-through. The Dealer doesn't get "their" watch back, it's yours and it is not only now a used watch, but it has also been repaired after damage.

There is no upside for a Dealer to take in this watch and pay out MSRP to you. If you are not satisfied after getting it back after repair, sell it yourself then buy another new one, but don't really expect anybody to give you MSRP.

The question remains if this damage voids the original Manufacturers Defect Warranty, although likely a service repair warranty may be issued.
Old 11 March 2024, 09:31 AM   #13
gamingdoctor
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
Lol...

The repair cost goes to the Service Center, the Dealer is a courtesy pass-through. The Dealer doesn't get "their" watch back, it's yours and it is not only now a used watch, but it has also been repaired after damage.

There is no upside for a Dealer to take in this watch and pay out MSRP to you. If you are not satisfied after getting it back after repair, sell it yourself then buy another new one, but don't really expect anybody to give you MSRP.

The question remains if this damage voids the original Manufacturers Defect Warranty, although likely a service repair warranty may be issued.
Definitely was not looking for MSRP, but rather the used price I bought it for.

My beef isn't really even with the dealer, it's with Omega. They were the ones that added substantial damage to the watch requiring this level of repair.
Old 11 March 2024, 09:57 AM   #14
Watchman001
"TRF" Member

What damage did they add? Seems to me the case needed to be replaced with or without their damage, but maybe I’m wrong.
Watchman001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2024, 10:04 AM   #15
gamingdoctor
"TRF" Member

The case was cracked further by the service center. I was told the case cracking further was inevitable, which may or may not be true; how would I ever know.
Old 11 March 2024, 10:36 AM   #16
Tools

Quote:
The case was cracked further by the service center. I was told the case cracking further was inevitable, which may or may not be true; how would I ever know.
Based on your pic, the repair would require a new case. The huge chunk and impact point could easily have cracked in a spider, or even just a straight, fracture that would have fallen apart after taking the supporting peripherals out. A replacement would have been the only repair possible in any case.

Of course, some Dealers do strange things in the name of customer-service, good luck!
Old 11 March 2024, 10:38 AM   #17
Fourthirteen
"TRF" Member

The case was already trashed and required replacement. Not sure why anything Omega may have done to it would matter.
Fourthirteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2024, 10:45 AM   #18
ExplorerI
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer I
It’s too bad but sounds like Omega breaking it a bit worse came out in your favor. That mid case was going to need to be replaced anyway and you’d have been on the hook for 4800 instead of 3k. Insurance for the future?
ExplorerI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2024, 03:04 PM   #19
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Posts 16 & 18 have give you the answer.

That original damage could not be repaired only replaced.

A diamond can be split if hit at a critical angle.

It was an unlucky fall.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2024, 09:19 PM   #20
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
Sorry this happened. Pay the 3k, get the watch repaired and basically have a new watch. If you do not want it anymore, ask the dealer if they will take it as a trade against something else you want. If not, enjoy your new watch.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2024, 11:18 PM   #21
-dustin

What was the repair cost before "They stated it now cost $4800 to fix"?
-dustin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2024, 11:31 PM   #22
Tricolore66
"TRF" Member

If the case was cracked after you dropped it, anything that happened afterwards is irrelevant. Ceramic is either broken or it isn’t, and if it crumbled when the tried to remove the strap are you suggesting that it was usable at all after you dropped it?

The tone from the first post is one of blaming everyone else for the situation you caused with your watch. Omega has given you a gift in offering to fix it for $3k, but obviously you still feel you’re a victim here.

Quote:
Tricolore66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2024, 12:31 AM   #23
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
Ouch! Just looked at the photo. Yeah that's really unfortunate, but since this requires completely replacing the case I see why it's so expensive. I learned the hard way not to put on or remove watches in the bathroom or anywhere else where the floor is tiled. Not much you can do here. I would just pay the repair and move on - lesson learned. FYI the same thing happened with my Tudor BB GMT, but they just had to replace the bezel and aluminum bezel insert. Your damage is much more serious. Good luck!

Sent from my SM-X710 using Tapatalk

...and for $3K I would definitely get it done. I could be a lot worse. Good that Omega and the dealer are helping you out a little.

Sent from my SM-X710 using Tapatalk

Last edited by Tools; 12 March 2024 at 03:55 AM..
samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2024, 12:43 AM   #24
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Yeah I agree, I might just eat the cost, expensive life lesson, move along.
That would be a good decision
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2024, 10:17 PM   #25
GTS Dean
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3570.50
That fracture is pretty hard to believe. It must have a lot to do with the ceramic coating process leading to embrittlement of the steel grain structure. My lifestyle would not be compatible with that at all. You should take the deal and be more careful.
Old 12 March 2024, 10:43 PM   #26
rich-96db
"TRF" Member

You may want to consider watch insurance in the future for your more expensive pieces. The Hodinkee watch insurance covers damages.
rich-96db is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2024, 02:06 AM   #27
orangeguy

Watch: Rolex 16710
Quote:
Originally Posted by rushca01 View Post
No worries op. You just made the case against ceramic mid cases. Were that SS it would have probably survived the fall or at worst been dented and someone like Rolliworks could have fixed it for a very reasonable cost.
Well said. Given that I'm a klutz, I think I'll be staying away from ceramic watch cases.
orangeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2024, 03:48 AM   #28
gamingdoctor
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTS Dean View Post
That fracture is pretty hard to believe. It must have a lot to do with the ceramic coating process leading to embrittlement of the steel grain structure. My lifestyle would not be compatible with that at all. You should take the deal and be more careful.
Trust me, I still find it hard to believe. I know people say it "hit just the right spot," but I don't find much solace in knowing a relatively pricey Omega Planet Ocean will break after such a short fall.

I will pay to get it repaired, but I'm still debating on whether to sell or keep it. If it breaks again, what kind of fool does that make me?

This isn't my first Omega ceramic either; I own an OG 2014 DSOTM which still looks great to this day (also has not been dropped though lol).
Old 13 March 2024, 10:01 AM   #29
toolr
2024 Pledge Member

Take advantage of the reduced cost offered for the new case and enjoy the watch, just be careful in the future. Ceramic is very scratch resistant and relatively tough, but doesn't take kindly to knocks on hard surfaces.
toolr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2024, 06:26 AM   #30
rmwill
2024 Pledge Member

This.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich-96db View Post
You may want to consider watch insurance in the future for your more expensive pieces. The Hodinkee watch insurance covers damages.
Rolex Explorer II 226570 Polar
Omega Moonwatch Sapphire Sandwich
Panerai PAM00111

2 Factor Authentication
rmwill is offline   Reply With Quote