The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 1 November 2019, 05:56 AM   #1
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Navi re-issue vs new Navi

Alright a question for the forum. Would you prefer the current Navitimer or the 806 navi reissue and why or why not?
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 November 2019, 08:36 AM   #2
arcadelt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chester01 View Post
Alright a question for the forum. Would you prefer the current Navitimer or the 806 navi reissue and why or why not?

On looks alone, I'm not sure they are comparable. The current catalogue Navitimer is a continuation of the reverse panda dial design that was introduced in the mid-1960s, while the 806 1959 is an almost 1:1 re-edition of the previous "all-black" version. So, while I think there is a place for both in a collection, looks aside, I prefer the re-edition because of the smaller diameter and thinness, lack of date window, and other heritage features such as a manual movement and plexiglass crystal.
arcadelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 November 2019, 10:12 AM   #3
sokoloka
"TRF" Member

Watch: Audemars Piguet
When you refer to the current Navitimer, I'm assuming you mean the 43mm with the B01 in house movement?
Old 1 November 2019, 10:53 AM   #4
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Quote:
Originally Posted by sokoloka View Post
When you refer to the current Navitimer, I'm assuming you mean the 43mm with the B01 in house movement?
Yes, for this comparison.
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2019, 07:55 AM   #5
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
I'd go with this one. Classic Navitimer look, in-house movement and a much cleaner look with this re-designed dial. Re-issues are cool, but sometimes they're a little gimmicky, if that's the right word. Ask Omega, which seems to have as many re-issues as regular watches.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2019-11-16 at 4.40.46 PM.jpg (182.6 KB, 230 views)
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2019, 12:02 PM   #6
Lew Archer
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Submariner
Well, I just bought the re-issue 806. It’s my third Navitimer. The first, an Old Navitimer II, with dark blue dial, is now 20 years old and going strong. At 41.5mm, supposedly, its size is very close to the new 806, which, at 41.5, has the identical dimensions of the original 806.

The second Navitimer that I purchased is the 2014 Scott Carpenter Aurora 7 limited edition—the Cosmonaute (oddly named, perhaps, since that’s the Russian term for astronaut, but that’s the name Breitling gave the production watch they first made at Mercury Astronaut Carpenter’s request for a Navitimer with a 24 hour dial). Mine has a black dial at measures in at 43mm.

The difference is very subtle. If I didn’t know otherwise, and I eyeballed all three, I’d think they were the same size. The new Navitimer is a 43. I think they’ve got a 41.5 too, but the difference seems, to me, nothing to quibble about.

They are all great watches, if you like Navitimers.

Since I owned the first two, I chose the 806. Frankly, I wasn’t in the market for a new watch at all. I’d first read about the 806 here, when it was first announced at Baselworld, was intrigued, but eventually forgot all about it.

Then, one afternoon a few weeks ago, I read several threads here and learned they were starting to show up at ADs. My interest re-kindled, I called an AD near me and learned they just gotten one. It was still in the original shipping packaging and hadn’t been on the floor. I stopped in later that day, took one look, and bought it.

Up to that point, I’d been toying with the idea of the Navitimer in 41.5 with a white dial, for variety. The 806, being an exact re-edition, really knocked me out.

If you prefer the contrast of subdials in a color different then the dial, the 806 may not be your favorite. The silver subdials on my first two Navitimers certainly aid legibility and I like that look.

But, if you are drawn to a watch that transports you to 1959, yet is a modern watch, with 30 meter water resistance and a warranty...and no surprises inside (as one might risk with a vintage piece), the 806 is smashing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg D12A7609-B404-4C68-B1C6-9DCDCBE7AC6C.jpeg (91.6 KB, 145 views)
Lew Archer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2019, 07:14 AM   #7
arcadelt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lew Archer View Post
The silver subdials on my first two Navitimers certainly aid legibility...

Funny, I find the exact opposited.
arcadelt is offline   Reply With Quote