The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 13 April 2015, 11:15 AM   #181
warrior
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer
Granted, Im not a watchmaker. But, I own and have owned many Rolexes ( GMTS, Subs, DJs, Milgauss, Explorers) and they're certainly reliable. All I know I is that my Omega coaxial 8500s ( Planet Oceans and Aqua Terras past and present) have greater power reserves and generally keep better time and are no less reliable. I realize that every watch is different. Do you care to elaborate as to why the 3135 is better than the 8500? Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shef View Post
As a watchmaker who has experience working on both brands, quite frankly, you pay for what you get with Rolex. Their movements are designed so well and the quality of a 3135 vs 8500, as a whole, is apparent. As a sidenote, I own both a Speedmaster and Datejust. The Speedmaster will always have a place in my rotation because of it's history and timelessness, but Rolex is the better watchmaking brand. Dollar for dollar, since you can usually get an Omega cheaper, they are pretty equal IMHO so buy what you like.
warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2015, 04:35 AM   #182
Shef
"TRF" Member

Watch: Datejust/Speedy
Quote:
Originally Posted by warrior View Post
Granted, Im not a watchmaker. But, I own and have owned many Rolexes ( GMTS, Subs, DJs, Milgauss, Explorers) and they're certainly reliable. All I know I is that my Omega coaxial 8500s ( Planet Oceans and Aqua Terras past and present) have greater power reserves and generally keep better time and are no less reliable. I realize that every watch is different. Do you care to elaborate as to why the 3135 is better than the 8500? Thanks
The quality of finishing on wheels and pivots and the setting mechanism mostly. 8500 caliber uses what looks like stamped metal components for the setting mechanism and they feel and look cheap. I'm sure it's not a huge deal functionality wise and maybe a good area to cut costs to keep prices competitive but Rolex doesn't skimp on anything.
Keep in mind the 3135 is almost 30 years old. The 3255 specs are improved as far as power reserve(with only one barrel) and tolerances for timing are tighter as well in comparison to the 3135. Can't wait to see one.
Again, I have no disregard for Omega. The 8500 is an excellent time keeper. No one tries to innovate as much as they do, but personally I'd rather own a Rolex long term.
Shef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2015, 11:11 AM   #183
SUPERDOC
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The quality of finishing on wheels and pivots and the setting mechanism mostly. 8500 caliber uses what looks like stamped metal components for the setting mechanism and they feel and look cheap. I'm sure it's not a huge deal functionality wise and maybe a good area to cut costs to keep prices competitive but Rolex doesn't skimp on anything.
Keep in mind the 3135 is almost 30 years old. The 3255 specs are improved as far as power reserve(with only one barrel) and tolerances for timing are tighter as well in comparison to the 3135. Can't wait to see one.
Again, I have no disregard for Omega. The 8500 is an excellent time keeper. No one tries to innovate as much as they do, but personally I'd rather own a Rolex long term.

I can't argue with the Guy who sized my Speedy Aventurine...

It is actually really nice to have you on the forum... this post alone has stopped me in my tracks... I was thinking of flipping most of my Rolex over, but have been concerned about maybe drinking a little too much of the Omega Kool-Aid...

I love Omega dearly as you know, but when all of your information comes from one source, its hard to have it free of Bias...

I will continue to collect Omega...but I think my Rolexes (rolexi?) will be staying where they are...
Old 15 April 2015, 02:19 PM   #184
Shef
"TRF" Member

Watch: Datejust/Speedy
Good to be here RJ! Yes, both brands have their strengths and weaknesses.. buy what you like for sure. I'd rather own a Speedmaster than Daytona so one can easily go either way. Not to steer you away from Omega haha because I don't want to be on you know who's crap list.
Shef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2015, 11:02 AM   #185
BLACKHORSE 6
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex SS Daytona
Quote:
Have you had a chance to work with the Omega 9300 movement, and if so how does it compare to Rolex movements?

I own both brands, and each has its place. The one thing that turned me off to Omega was their sudden price increase several years ago, around the time that they were introducing their in house movements and opening all of their boutiques. It's one thing to have a gradual increase, but not a huge jump just because you've decided that your brand is as exclusive as Rolex.
BLACKHORSE 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2015, 11:44 AM   #186
Cuts33
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKHORSE 6 View Post
Have you had a chance to work with the Omega 9300 movement, and if so how does it compare to Rolex movements?

I own both brands, and each has its place. The one thing that turned me off to Omega was their sudden price increase several years ago, around the time that they were introducing their in house movements and opening all of their boutiques. It's one thing to have a gradual increase, but not a huge jump just because you've decided that your brand is as exclusive as Rolex.
To be fair, there is nothing exclusive about Rolex. They sell around 1M watches per year.

Rolex and Omega are both in the business of mass producing consumer goods. Relatively expensive goods, but mass produced nonetheless.
Cuts33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2015, 07:40 PM   #187
Marine1981
"TRF" Member

Yep, I was out recently in one of our local watering holes when I noticed a gentlemen wearing his date just 2 two tone with stick dial. I complimented him on his watch and we got to talking. He told me how rare his watch was being that it is made with precious metal, and the use of a rare steel that only Rolex knows how to make. I laughed hard inside, smiled and told him he was lucky to have found such a piece.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Marine1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2015, 10:34 PM   #188
jjnd08
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine1981 View Post
Yep, I was out recently in one of our local watering holes when I noticed a gentlemen wearing his date just 2 two tone with stick dial. I complimented him on his watch and we got to talking. He told me how rare his watch was being that it is made with precious metal, and the use of a rare steel that only Rolex knows how to make. I laughed hard inside, smiled and told him he was lucky to have found such a piece.

jjnd08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2015, 08:34 AM   #189
yannis
"TRF" Member

Watch: maniac
After having owned several Rolexes over time (16710, 116710, 16610LV, 116660) and having tried a few watches at various ADs in the past few weeks, POC 9300 ended up being my companion. What a lovely all-rounder: Good size (cannot wear 40mm watches anymore thanks to the DSSD), an amazing and beautiful marvel of a movement that you can actually see in action, a beautiful ceramic bezel, 600m depth rating, good combination of straps an the list goes on.
After a couple of years with Omega watches (previous one was a Seamaster Professional Chronograph), i have found my grail Omega.
After all it all boils down to personal preference and like other friends said you have to try them all on in order to know which one is the one for you.
Omega, however have diversified their collection and can cater for any taste.
Also contrary to what some friends have said, they hold their value very well.

yannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2015, 05:18 PM   #190
pfg1
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116622 YM Blue
Why buy Omega if you can afford a Rolex?

Why buy a Rolex if you can afford a Patek?

Answer: Personal choice! Buy all three brands.
2019 DEEPSEA Giveaway
2018 Rolex Red SD43 Giveaway
2018 Bond Submariner Giveaway
2020 Rolex + Tudor GMT Giveaway
2020 Rolex Submariner Giveaway
pfg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2015, 07:07 AM   #191
CGMcCormick
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega 300m Diver
Just remind him that James Bond traded the Rolex for an Omega. That should do the trick nicely!
CGMcCormick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2015, 02:40 AM   #192
Steve36Efc
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126603
I would always buy what ever floats my boat within reason. (No PM pieces for me just yet) I got this last year and as I haven't seen any others on here I guess its not everyone's cup of tea, but I just thought it was different.

Opinions may be divided but there is no denying its a solid lump of a watch and IMO looks quality through and through.
IMG_1453.jpg
Steve36Efc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2015, 03:21 AM   #193
guelerct
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega Grey Side
I like it

guelerct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2015, 03:24 AM   #194
guelerct
"TRF" Member

And the reason I haven't bought Rolex is because of two things:
I like stealth wealth and I can wear my GSOTM in front of a customer and they don't know what it is. Try that with a TT sub. Same price point.
I see a lot of people that wear a Rolex just to say "I'm special". Luckily I'm not that insecure.

Old 3 May 2015, 04:19 AM   #195
T. Ferguson
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by guelerct View Post
And the reason I haven't bought Rolex is because of two things:
I like stealth wealth and I can wear my GSOTM in front of a customer and they don't know what it is. Try that with a TT sub. Same price point.
I see a lot of people that wear a Rolex just to say "I'm special". Luckily I'm not that insecure.
While I understand what you are saying, not wearing a Rolex just because people might think you're a "Hey, look at me" type is, in a way, a form of insecurity.
Old 3 May 2015, 04:55 AM   #196
Bobby T
Banned

Snoopy.......of course!!!!
Bobby T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2015, 07:31 AM   #197
69mach351
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116900
Because if you used this logic throughout your life, you would be broke. Why buy an Acura if you can afford an aston martin? Why eat a burger if you can afford steak? Why live in a 4 bedroom house if you can afford 6 or 7? Just because you can, does not mean it is right, necessary, or a good choice for you. If you buy something that you don't like, just to impress or please someone else, you will not be 100% happy.

To me, that is kind of the downside with the brand. A lot of people buy them not because they appreciate them, but because they want to show others what they can buy. If someone recognizes a tudor, omega, breitling, pp, etc., then they generally have some basic knowledge and/or interest of the watch world.
69mach351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2015, 02:16 AM   #198
Syed117
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69mach351 View Post

To me, that is kind of the downside with the brand. A lot of people buy them not because they appreciate them, but because they want to show others what they can buy. If someone recognizes a tudor, omega, breitling, pp, etc., then they generally have some basic knowledge and/or interest of the watch world.
Absolutely.

Rolex is not my favorite brand. I came from a family and extended family that have been Omega fans for half a century. That doesn't mean that I don't love some of their models. The Sub will always be an icon that every watch lover should have at some point.

They may not see it this way, but Rolex is a victim of their own success. When you are as popular as they are, people are willing to buy their watches simply because of that brand power. As with any popular mass produced item.

Living in NYC, you see a Sub somewhat regularly. It's the default luxury watch that everyone buys when they have the means. I don't know if it's a person that actually cares about watches or someone that just wears it as a status symbol. Like you said, when I see someone wearing an Omega, a JLC, or any other brand that is less well known, I'm more likely to assume that they care about watches. They may not, but they bought a different watch when they could most likely afford a Rolex.

There are many true watch lovers on this forum, but there are also plenty of people that dismiss all other brands. When you see someone doing that, it's clear they care more about the name on their wrist than what's inside.

There was a thread a few days ago by someone who had what seemed like a scratch on their datejust dial. Most people agreed that it should be replaced because it didn't seem normal, but it didn't take long for a comment like this to show up:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkshayArgade View Post
thats bs, rolex is supposed to be perfect. I can expect such a thing from a tag or omega
When I see comments like this, the thought always crosses my mind, "typical Rolex owner". Obviously that's not true of everyone who wears a Rolex, but we see these attitudes almost every day on this forum. A person is seeing a Rolex that has some kind issue and they immediately bring other brands into a situation that has nothing to do with them.
Syed117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2015, 04:29 AM   #199
Lemarp
"TRF" Member

Because they have more interesting models based on your personal preference?
Because you already have a Rolex and find that a lot of them look the same?
Because they're cheaper?
Because the quality is similar?
Because you don't want to have the same watch as the majority in a boardroom (or if in HK, the majority of everyone around you)?

Lots of reasons. I own both and if push came to shove, i'd rather be Rolex-less than Omega-less but seeing as how this is TRF, most would probably disagree - who really cares as long as you're happy?
Lemarp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2015, 12:15 PM   #200
wristy
"TRF" Member

The AT's a good looking watch..why NOT buy one? Your friend sees an AT and thinks "couldn't afford a Rolex" but a lot of others see one and just think "cool watch".
wristy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2015, 02:05 PM   #201
DCgator
"TRF" Member

Watch: DS,BLNR,SubLV,DJ2
Icon6 Re: Diver models....

I'm with the buy-what-you-like camp. I own both brands and consider them equal in quality. TBH I prefer Omega prices. I also own IWC, Zenith, Panerai, Breitling, Seiko, etc, because they sing to me and for no other reason.
DCgator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2015, 10:20 PM   #202
guelerct
"TRF" Member

What does 'couldn't afford' really mean anyway...
Does the person own a home?
Have kids?
Have a hefty retirement plan?
Cars paid off?
I know plenty of people with Rolex and Louis Vuitton who rent their lifestyle.
Luxury items are inclusive of brands like Omega and Rolex and are the icing on the cake once everything else in in order.
Buy what makes you happy and comfortable, pay cash, and be proud.

Old 13 May 2015, 12:11 PM   #203
Green Arrow
"TRF" Member

Have both, like both.
Green Arrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2015, 02:27 AM   #204
Rwchisholm
Banned

I love watches in general and own Rolex, Omega and Panerai currently... For my work as an ER doc, I wear divers for the water resistance. However, I make it a point not to wear my Rolex to work -- people recognize and make snap judgements over Rolex watches but nobody notices my Omegas or my Panerais. For that reason alone my only current Rolex is my Datejust that my father gave to me and I'm not really interested in buying another, although the new Sea dweller looks pretty nice.
Rwchisholm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2015, 04:50 AM   #205
cedargrove
"TRF" Member

Watch: Milgauss, GMT IIc
Quote:
Originally Posted by guelerct View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Ferguson View Post
While I understand what you are saying, not wearing a Rolex just because people might think you're a "Hey, look at me" type is, in a way, a form of insecurity.
I had the same reaction.
cedargrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2015, 04:22 AM   #206
douglasf13
"TRF" Member

I actually sold my DateJust to buy the first version Aqua Terra 2500. The Aqua Terra 2500 and Railmaster 2500 (share the same case) are two of the better looking watches to come from any brand in the last 20 years, IMO. My wife loves my black dial Aqua Terra so much that I bought her the ladies version, too.

I prefer most 5 digit Rolex sport models to the Omegas, and I know wear a Sub Dare 16610 24/7, but the Aqua Terra and Speedy are fantastic Omegas, IMO. That new Globemaster looks great, too.
douglasf13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2015, 07:06 AM   #207
themaninblack
"TRF" Member

There is a pretty simple reason. Omega watches are better looking. The current incarnation of Rolex watches are generally chunky, over adorned and verging on plain ugly in some cases. (Pardon the pun) Speedy is better looking than Daytona hands down and has a more interesting heritage. (Less than half the price?) current Seamaster 300 master co-axial far better looking than Sub and Omega casual and dress watches have always been better looking than Rolex. That said I own more Rolex watches than Omega but they are mostly vintage. Looks aren't the only reason to buy a watch but they are an important element in the equation.
themaninblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2015, 07:19 AM   #208
Rookie52
"TRF" Member

I own both brands and it's because I like certain models from each. These statements of "better" are solely personal opinions.
Rookie52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2015, 07:21 AM   #209
themaninblack
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie52 View Post
These statements of "better" are solely personal opinions.
Of course they are.
themaninblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2015, 09:37 PM   #210
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Because I wanted one
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote