The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex Watch Reviews

Old 2 July 2016, 03:33 AM   #31
skydriver
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Pepsi
Very nice review. But when it comes down to it, I am a Black Bay with a blue bezel guy.
skydriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2016, 08:51 AM   #32
BigAl72
"TRF" Member

Watch: D-Blue, GS SBGE001
Thank you for your review.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
BigAl72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2016, 07:22 PM   #33
TG3N
"TRF" Member

Thanks, this is one of the best comparative reviews I've ever read, from someone who has actually lived with both watches. The photos are excellent also.

I think both watches are amongst the best releases, anywhere, by any brand, in the last few years, Tudor is really nailing their designs these days. For versatility & overall looks, I would also choose the BBB, although the Pelagos is a stunningly well-crafted watch.

Thanks.
TG3N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2018, 05:53 AM   #34
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
Just stumbled across this comparison review from several years ago and had to comment. First of all, a fantastic review! Every time I consider myself to be a good writer I read something like this and realize I still have some distance to go. The pictures are terrific too. Well done all around!

I recently had the same decision to make - Black Bay or Pelagos. Love many things about both but for me there were a few things that stand out:

Thickness - probably the biggest factor personally which took me to the Black Bay camp. My Black Bay Blue ETA is I think over 3mm thinner than the Pelagos. In terms of wearability that goes a LONG way. I was looking for something to slot between my SD43 and DJII in terms of diameter, weight and thickness and the BB really did that. For me the BB is just the perfect size, lug-to-lug, diameter, and thickness!

Bracelet - I prefer SS over Titanium. Other than the weight savings I really couldn't come up with any other advantages of getting a titanium bracelet. And although I appreciate the engineering and technical achievement of the Pelagos clasp, in terms of daily wearing I have little use for it. If you get the BB sized correctly you really won't find yourself in need of the Pelagos clasp and will appreciate the less bulky clasp.

Bezel - I love the ceramic bezel on the Pelagos and especially that they chose to have the lume on the bezel itself rather than just on the watch face like the BB. However, two things bother me about the Pelagos bezel; It's a little thicker than I would like and gives it sort of a bloated appearance. Also, and I haven't seen this mentioned yet, I hate hate HATE the little round faux pearl they have in the middle of the triangle. Either put a jewel there or don't, period! Just looks silly and serves not purpose. A solid triangle would have been perfect. Ugghhhh!

In terms of wearing as a daily the BB is just a little more classy and understated while still being a "fun" watch at the same time. The Pelagos I see as more of a true tool watch and if that's what someone is looking for, the Pelagos is the way to go. But for regular folks looking for a great daily diver I think the BB is hard to beat.

samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2018, 04:46 AM   #35
DanMdR
"TRF" Member

Watch: OP 36
Great comparison and review! Been debating myself which one to buy. I’m leaning Black Bay. The major factor in the Pelagos is the clasp, but I’ve actually never used the easy link on my Explorer so I’m thinking that the trick clasp won’t even be of use to me.

You have any other write ups and reviews?
DanMdR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2018, 04:41 PM   #36
joespeed29
"TRF" Member

what a great review thanks!
joespeed29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2018, 10:59 PM   #37
TVal07
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116600 (SD4K)
This is a great review and glad I found it. I won’t echo anything already said. I have both - used for different purposes - and love them both for different reasons.

That said, two of my absolute favorite elements of the Black Bay are the lack of crown guards and the non riveted bracelet. Tudor absolutely killed it with the first gen bracelet. It’s not only comfortable, but it works perfectly with the simple yet well executed clasp.
TVal07 is offline   Reply With Quote