The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 11 April 2010, 01:27 AM   #31
SG 1550

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairn1980 View Post
Maybe Omega forums is the place for you then? (lol)
I think you will find he did post his opinion within the Omega forum...
SG 1550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2010, 01:54 AM   #32
warrior
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer
I currently own both Rolexes and Omegas and love them both. Personally, I prefer any SMP ( PO, Bond, or 2254) over the Sub. I sold my Sub and currently have the PO and Bond.

There is no doubt that Rolex carries with it greater prestige amongst the masses and has great quality. But, what I love about Omega
( and by extension the Seamasters) are that they have the cool factor. Now, what is that? For me, the cool factor is they

1) have great quality without the "high society status" effect vs. Rolex
2) have better overall presence and heft.
3) are more of a " those in the know" brand for watch enthusiasts vs. Rolex
warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2010, 02:10 AM   #33
iwantagmt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega Seamaster PO
Quote:
Originally Posted by warrior View Post
I currently own both Rolexes and Omegas and love them both. Personally, I prefer any SMP ( PO, Bond, or 2254) over the Sub. I sold my Sub and currently have the PO and Bond.

There is no doubt that Rolex carries with it greater prestige amongst the masses and has great quality. But, what I love about Omega
( and by extension the Seamasters) are that they have the cool factor. Now, what is that? For me, the cool factor is they

Old 11 April 2010, 03:12 AM   #34
JBat
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16610, DJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tylden Reed View Post
Why? because it is! The long answer is that they are now not in the same league. Both the design and quality of movement and case are better, IMHO. Tylden.
For which?
JBat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2010, 03:15 AM   #35
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by SG 1550 View Post
I think you will find he did post his opinion within the Omega forum...
Yeh but its still a Rolex Forum....if people love Omega so much more than Rolex, then why even be on this forum.....

Again.....just my opinion.....dont want to upset anyone. I'm just passionate about Rolex. Really like Omegas too, but im on Rolex Forums because I love Rolex.
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2010, 03:30 AM   #36
spuds
"TRF" Member

Watch: West Ham! COYI!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBat View Post
Here we go again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalip View Post
Yup
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike B View Post
I agree...

With genuine respect I'm kinda surprised (& to be honest.... a tad disappointed) guys.....

the OP & many of the responents are relatively new to the forum & some topics will always be up for discussion.

(A bit like 'greatest pitcher', 'best goal', etc).

So anyway here's my two penn'orth......

I've owned both & absolutely agree the sheer 'heft' & 'wrist presence' of Omega's cannot be denied: especially, IMO, the 45.5mm Planet Ocaen range.

But all the time I was wearing my Seamaster's I still missed my Rolex.

Now that I have my GMTIIc I can'y honestly say that I give my Omega's a second thought.

Clever marketing or just that indefinable (& I personally believe almost unjustifiable) 'Rolex feel good factor'.......??

Either way I voted with my wallet & went back to wearing a Rolex as soon as I could afford to do so.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg disappointed.jpg (21.0 KB, 229 views)

Life is not about how fast you can run or how high you can climb...........
It's about how well you can bounce!!

TRF HALL OF FAME JANUARY 2010
spuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2010, 04:03 AM   #37
warrior
"TRF" Member

HI spuds, Congrats on your GMTIIc. I have a regular gmtII. When I was talking about the greater heft and presence on Omegas, I wasn't only talking about size and feel. I was also talking about A/R coating.

To me, the lack of A/R coating is the absolute bane of Rolex. And this subject gets very little mention whenever Rolex weaknesses are discussed. Whenever I look at my Omegas and Rolexes side to side, the Omega dials always pop more. The lack of A/R coating shows itself in a glare at various angles and lighting situations where sometimes, one can't even see the Rolex dial!!!! This does not happen with my Omegas.

Even looking at an Omega and Rolex head on without any glare, the Omega dial always looks clearer. There's a certain relative "cloudiness" in Rolex dials that you see in many many pictures on the internet. I'd love to see your GMTIIc dial with the A/R coating on the underside of the entire crystal. The dial would be SO much more crisp. I can tell simply by looking at the pics of the GMTIIc date with has the coating ( or by looking at any Rolex, for that matter) underneath the cyclops. NOW, THAT is how crisp the dial should look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spuds View Post
With genuine respect I'm kinda surprised (& to be honest.... a tad disappointed) guys.....
the OP & many of the responents are relatively new to the forum & some topics will always be up for discussion.

I've owned both & absolutely agree the sheer 'heft' & 'wrist presence' of Omega's cannot be denied: especially, IMO, the 45.5mm Planet Ocaen range.

Now that I have my GMTIIc I can'y honestly say that I give my Omega's a second thought.

Clever marketing or just that indefinable (& I personally believe almost unjustifiable) 'Rolex feel good factor'.......??

Either way I voted with my wallet & went back to wearing a Rolex as soon as I could afford to do so.

Last edited by warrior; 11 April 2010 at 04:40 AM.. Reason: clarification
Old 11 April 2010, 05:00 AM   #38
spuds
"TRF" Member

Quote:
HI spuds, Congrats on your GMTIIc. I have a regular gmtII. When I was talking about the greater heft and presence on Omegas, I wasn't only talking about size and feel. I was also talking about A/R coating....
Absolutely agreed Warrior mate.

Even my wife... who's about as 'NON-WIS' as you can get...

said "Isn't that clever how you can't see the glass on that one" last time we were at the AD's.

If it wasn't for the whole "I'll have a Rolex one day/heirloom thing" thing that I've had in my head for years, I would be perfectly happy with an Omega & more probably than not: a Planet Ocean.

They're a beautiful watch & certainly of comparable & similar quality to the equivalent Rolex models.

IMO... anyone who says different is simply an ignorant 'Watch-Snob' & has been lured by marketing & brand-imagery alone.

Old 11 April 2010, 05:03 AM   #39
warrior
"TRF" Member

Spuds, sounds like your my kind of dude. Have a good weekend
Quote:
Absolutely agreed Warrior mate.

Even my wife... who's about as 'NON-WIS' as you can get...

said "Isn't that clever how you can't see the glass on that one" last time we were at the AD's.

If it wasn't for the whole "I'll have a Rolex one day/heirloom thing" thing that I've had in my head for years, I would be perfectly happy with an Omega & more probably than not: a Planet Ocean.

They're a beautiful watch & certainly of comparable & similar quality to the equivalent Rolex models.

IMO... anyone who says different is simply an ignorant 'Watch-Snob' & has been lured by marketing & brand-imagery alone.
Old 11 April 2010, 05:09 AM   #40
spuds
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Spuds, sounds like your my kind of dude. Have a good weekend
You too mate.... You too.

Old 11 April 2010, 06:18 AM   #41
SG 1550

Quote:
Yeh but its still a Rolex Forum....if people love Omega so much more than Rolex, then why even be on this forum.....

Again.....just my opinion.....dont want to upset anyone. I'm just passionate about Rolex. Really like Omegas too, but im on Rolex Forums because I love Rolex.
Quote:
yeh but as you will see, loads of things are discussed on TRF. Most based around watches, but variety is still good! If a topic offends you or you dont like it, you can simply move onto the next topic...

Freedom of speech to a degree mate.
These are your words From another thread you posted on today, not mine. You are not upsetting anyone..Just accept others may have different views. I enjoy both brands and am interested in this thread as I want read others viewpoint on this particular subject.
SG 1550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2010, 07:10 AM   #42
JBat
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Dan, with respect to participating in this or any other online forum, it is also proper etiquette to do a search before posting a thread about a particular topic. I believe there is already a thread about the same thing on the first or second page.

That said, my main beef with this topic is that it invariably deteriorates into a bash-fest.
Old 11 April 2010, 07:14 AM   #43
JBat
"TRF" Member

Quote:
HI spuds, Congrats on your GMTIIc. I have a regular gmtII. When I was talking about the greater heft and presence on Omegas, I wasn't only talking about size and feel. I was also talking about A/R coating.

To me, the lack of A/R coating is the absolute bane of Rolex. And this subject gets very little mention whenever Rolex weaknesses are discussed. Whenever I look at my Omegas and Rolexes side to side, the Omega dials always pop more. The lack of A/R coating shows itself in a glare at various angles and lighting situations where sometimes, one can't even see the Rolex dial!!!! This does not happen with my Omegas.

Even looking at an Omega and Rolex head on without any glare, the Omega dial always looks clearer. There's a certain relative "cloudiness" in Rolex dials that you see in many many pictures on the internet. I'd love to see your GMTIIc dial with the A/R coating on the underside of the entire crystal. The dial would be SO much more crisp. I can tell simply by looking at the pics of the GMTIIc date with has the coating ( or by looking at any Rolex, for that matter) underneath the cyclops. NOW, THAT is how crisp the dial should look.
Well, I own both brands, and the lack of AR on my Rolexes is absolutely not an issue. I think calling it "the bane of Rolex" is overstating it a bit.
Old 11 April 2010, 07:25 AM   #44
Goodwatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: the sunrise...
Interesting observation. Lets step back. Both watches are supposed to be diving watches, catering for a specific audience. There are watch makers that produce watches that are much more up to the task and cost way less. And are more accurate as well. Citizen Aqualand Pro springs to mind.

Professional divers use dive computers and a Citizen for back-up. Both Rolex and Omega are an utter waste of money. There, I've said it
It's all up to personal taste. After all that is said and done, both brands sport the infamous COSC certification so then whole in-house discussion seems moot. The final result counts. Does it?
Old 11 April 2010, 07:30 AM   #45
Denver Dick
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT DateJust 16013
Do I think that Rolex is better than Omega? All things being equal, yes.

Okay, that said, all things are rarely equal. Let's take the Explorer and Railmaster for a moment and compare. I personally like the look of the Railmaster a little better, but we'll assume that I like them equally and that the new 39mm Explorer will be the same price as the current 36mm model.

Rolex Explorer: The MSRP is $5,050. Now, assume I got very lucky and found a 20% discount from an AD, the price would be $4,040.

Omega Railmaster: The MSRP is $3250. Now, I know I can get a 30% discount from an AD and the price is $2,275.

I very much respect Rolex, and in my heart I think it might be a little better than the Omega, but the question is this: Is the Explorer really $1,765 better? I think not.

Just my

Denver Dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2010, 07:44 AM   #46
AAMD11
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega Worldtimer
Quote:

Amen, that is what I like about Omega.

Quote:

Dont worry, it takes a lot to upset me, so no worries here you are just stating an opinion as I am mine. True this called a Rolex forum, however, there is an Omega, Breitling, Panerai, and other watch sections areas of the forums. Basically this is a "Watch Enthusiast" forum.
AAMD11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2010, 07:48 AM   #47
AAMD11
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega Worldtimer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denver Dick View Post

Okay, that said, all things are rarely equal. Let's take the Explorer and Railmaster for a moment and compare. I personally like the look of the Railmaster a little better, but we'll assume that I like them equally and that the new 39mm Explorer will be the same price as the current 36mm model.

Rolex Explorer: The MSRP is $5,050. Now, assume I got very lucky and found a 20% discount from an AD, the price would be $4,040.

Omega Railmaster: The MSRP is $3250. Now, I know I can get a 30% discount from an AD and the price is $2,275.

I very much respect Rolex, and in my heart I think it might be a little better than the Omega, but the question is this: Is the Explorer really $1,765 better? I think not.

Just my
That is very true, that is how I feel about Breitling as well, I would rather buy a Breitling with the same quality and effectiveness of a Rolex for almost 2k or more less. As mentioned before with Omega you get the bang for the buck. I do respect Rolex and appreciate them as well as I LOVE the new GMTIIc, however I find that Rolex is an overrated watch for thousands more than excellent watch brands out there including Omega, Breitling, Rado, Panerai, etc.
AAMD11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2010, 08:16 AM   #48
warrior
"TRF" Member

To me, it's not overstating it. Our perceptions are different, but I stand by what I said.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBat View Post
Well, I own both brands, and the lack of AR on my Rolexes is absolutely not an issue. I think calling it "the bane of Rolex" is overstating it a bit.
Old 11 April 2010, 10:20 AM   #49
DWdrummer
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denver Dick View Post

Just my

This is an interesting viewpoint and worth expanding on to me.

I ask myself all the time if Rolex is better. Now "better" is a subjective term for sure. Many people who are fellow WIS have said Rolex is better just because its Rolex. Period. Some point to the Rolex "in house" movements, which alone is reason enough to make them "better."

Again to ME, I know that Omega does not just take and ETA and slap an "Omega" rotor on it and call it a day. They appear to use the base plate only supplied by ETA, I believe its called an Ebouche if Im getting that right, Im not a watchmaker of course, but this is what I gathered from searching around. Then they add a couple of extra jewels and every other piece of that movement is from Omega themselves. They finish it to their standards and there we have an Omega Cal. 1120 movement as found in my Seamaster for instance.

I love all my watches but I enjoy this Omega more than any other I have owned. Including my Rolex watches. Everyone is different of course.

It would seem to be that Omega is held in even higher esteem outside of America. My friends in the UK and other parts of Europe and Japan have told me that Omega is viewed as an equal to Rolex in many of their respective countries. Omega is supposed to have a higher brand recognition in Europe and Asia than they do here in the America. I found this to be interesting myself as I have not traveled outside America very much up to now.

At the end of the day is what makes YOU happy, or in this case makes, me happy. Both my Omega and Rolex watches put a smile on my face when I look down 200 times per day to look at the watch, not so much to tell the time, I think that is what its all about at the end of each day.
DWdrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2010, 10:55 AM   #50
warrior
"TRF" Member

DW, you hit this right on the head. I've said this in some of my previous posts. In Asia, for example, watches are a much bigger deal to a higher percentage of people-- in comparison to the U.S.

Omega is marketed very heavily in Asia and very little ( in comparison to Rolex) in the States. Omega corporate considers the U.S. a secondary market. This is why most Asians have heard of Omega, whereas many in the U.S. haven't.

Tag and Rolex are the most heavily marketed in the U.S. Hence, the brand name recognition for these brands are higher here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWdrummer View Post
This is an interesting viewpoint and worth expanding on to me.

I ask myself all the time if Rolex is better. Now "better" is a subjective term for sure. Many people who are fellow WIS have said Rolex is better just because its Rolex. Period. Some point to the Rolex "in house" movements, which alone is reason enough to make them "better."

Again to ME, I know that Omega does not just take and ETA and slap an "Omega" rotor on it and call it a day. They appear to use the base plate only supplied by ETA, I believe its called an Ebouche if Im getting that right, Im not a watchmaker of course, but this is what I gathered from searching around. Then they add a couple of extra jewels and every other piece of that movement is from Omega themselves. They finish it to their standards and there we have an Omega Cal. 1120 movement as found in my Seamaster for instance.

I love all my watches but I enjoy this Omega more than any other I have owned. Including my Rolex watches. Everyone is different of course.

It would seem to be that Omega is held in even higher esteem outside of America. My friends in the UK and other parts of Europe and Japan have told me that Omega is viewed as an equal to Rolex in many of their respective countries. Omega is supposed to have a higher brand recognition in Europe and Asia than they do here in the America. I found this to be interesting myself as I have not traveled outside America very much up to now.

At the end of the day is what makes YOU happy, or in this case makes, me happy. Both my Omega and Rolex watches put a smile on my face when I look down 200 times per day to look at the watch, not so much to tell the time, I think that is what its all about at the end of each day.
Old 11 April 2010, 11:35 PM   #51
vh_bu98
"TRF" Member

Watch: Platinum YM
How much do you think service plays a role? I hear time after time that they find Omega's service lacking compare to Rolex's service. This is from owners and ADs.
vh_bu98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2010, 12:06 AM   #52
chriseskew24
"TRF" Member

Watch: Bunches
Quote:
Originally Posted by vh_bu98 View Post
How much do you think service plays a role? I hear time after time that they find Omega's service lacking compare to Rolex's service. This is from owners and ADs.
It dosent play a part at all. When you have a good local watch maker
chriseskew24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2010, 12:24 AM   #53
DWdrummer
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriseskew24 View Post
THIS

I would rather have my watch serviced locally and not have to ship it off and worry.

Its just how I am.
DWdrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2010, 12:26 AM   #54
Ed Rooney
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea-Dweller 16600
James Bond and Steve McQueen wore Subs, so I trust their judgement.
Ed Rooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2010, 05:06 AM   #55
JBat
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriseskew24 View Post
A lot of people feel more comfortable sending their watch to an authorized repair center. So, yes, it does play a part.
Old 12 April 2010, 05:46 AM   #56
improviz
"TRF" Member

Watch: your step
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Rooney View Post
James Bond and Steve McQueen wore Subs, so I trust their judgement.
:) Well, James Bond has been wearing Omegas for quite some time now, and Steve McQueen also wore a Tag Heuer, as did Jason Bourne, so even there it's a tough call; I personally think Bourne would kick Bond's ass with those moves of his.

Seriously, though: both are fantastic watches, both have pros and cons, and both keep great time (compared to the Sub or the Daytona, the coax Planet Ocean holds its own, and the Seamaster could if I cared enough to adjust it down from 3 sec/day to 1/sec, but I don't)....it really boils down to personal preference. I just happen to prefer both (and others), and make the selection based upon what I'm wearing.

Omega is definitely a superior value for the money, but Rolex is Rolex, and you pay a bit extra for the brand recognition, and as has been noted Rolex servicing is definitely more consistently better than Omega's. Maybe now that Omega Corporate is trying to move the brand upscale they will (finally) address this; I certainly hope so, as from what I've read it is spotty.
116520 white; 16613 black; 116710; 16570 polar; 16600. AP 15400; 15703. Blancpain Fifty Fathoms. Glashutte Sport Evo GMT. Omega Planet Ocean 2907.50.91; Planet Ocean Liquidmetal LE 222.30.42.20.01.001; Seamaster 2255.80.00. Breitling Crosswind, white. Panerai PAM 005. VC Overseas Chrono, black.
improviz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2010, 06:48 AM   #57
warrior
"TRF" Member

I, too, have read this. Overall, Rolex certainly appears to have better customer service from what I've read.

But, here's the key and operative thing from a practical perspective...there are a few Omega service centers in the U.S. that have excellent reputations. From what I've read, Nesbit's in the state of Washington, Precision Watch Repair in Philly, and Womble Watch Works in Atlanta apparently do consistently very good work. (I've read rave reviews of all three, but it seems that Nesbit's garners alot of glowing remarks on other Omega forums on the internet) After all, you only need one service center ( if you don't want to go the independent watchmaker route) to trust.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vh_bu98 View Post
Old 12 April 2010, 11:10 AM   #58
WJGESQ
Banned

By those who know, the Sub is certainly not viewed as superior.
WJGESQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2010, 12:53 PM   #59
mpkRolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLRO Jubilee
Because it is a Rolex..thats all. No other reason.
mpkRolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2010, 12:56 PM   #60
Ed Rooney
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea-Dweller 16600
Quote:
Originally Posted by improviz View Post
:) Well, James Bond has been wearing Omegas for quite some time now, and Steve McQueen also wore a Tag Heuer, as did Jason Bourne, so even there it's a tough call; I personally think Bourne would kick Bond's ass with those moves of his.

Seriously, though: both are fantastic watches, both have pros and cons, and both keep great time (compared to the Sub or the Daytona, the coax Planet Ocean holds its own, and the Seamaster could if I cared enough to adjust it down from 3 sec/day to 1/sec, but I don't)....it really boils down to personal preference. I just happen to prefer both (and others), and make the selection based upon what I'm wearing.

Omega is definitely a superior value for the money, but Rolex is Rolex, and you pay a bit extra for the brand recognition, and as has been noted Rolex servicing is definitely more consistently better than Omega's. Maybe now that Omega Corporate is trying to move the brand upscale they will (finally) address this; I certainly hope so, as from what I've read it is spotty.
Bond's Omega is a paid product placement. Ditto for Bourne. Both of those characters might as well be sewing the logos on their sleeves like golfers or Nascar drivers.
Ed Rooney is offline   Reply With Quote