The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 3 September 2012, 06:45 AM   #31
gaopa
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Explorer II
Count me in with the 2500 group. My 42mm 2500D PO is just right! Cheers, Bill P.

gaopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2012, 07:02 AM   #32
InTime
Banned

^ love the wet pics
InTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2012, 07:03 AM   #33
InTime
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by karmatp View Post
Call me over cautious, but I would never own a watch with the 2500, especially the early models. The 8500 is the only way to go if you ask me, a much better movement.

This is the same as the Panerai P9000 movement. I had one for a few months and every day I was thankful it was still running. Yes the failures were with the early models, but the movement had flaws, just like the 2500.

There are way to many watches out there with solid movements to buy one with a history of failing. I am not going to risk my hard earned money on a watch with a history like that, especially when Omega has now fixed all the problems with the 8500.

2500 C - D are insanely accurate
InTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2012, 07:19 AM   #34
A.I.
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LV
Quote:
Call me over cautious, but I would never own a watch with the 2500, especially the early models. The 8500 is the only way to go if you ask me, a much better movement.

This is the same as the Panerai P9000 movement. I had one for a few months and every day I was thankful it was still running. Yes the failures were with the early models, but the movement had flaws, just like the 2500.

There are way to many watches out there with solid movements to buy one with a history of failing. I am not going to risk my hard earned money on a watch with a history like that, especially when Omega has now fixed all the problems with the 8500.
My PO LM LE 2500 is running -2s over the last 30+ days.

I would like to see ANY other movement beat that accuracy.
A.I. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2012, 08:49 AM   #35
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
Quote:

Huh!
Sooo because Panerai made crappy movements you attribute the same to Omega. Not sure if serious.
Didn't here you mention personal experience so I can only assume you generalize based on a very small minority(a/b models), rumors and hearsay.
My D-PO keeps amazing time, don't know exactly, but looses about two seconds a week. And mine isn't a desk diver, since I bought it in '09 it has been used daily while teaching mountaineering in freezing and sweltering N Georgia and on to two summers in the middle east bearing 100-130 degree temperatures....I've become real confident in this watch.
If I had to choose between the two today I'd go with the 85 but not at all because of quality issues with my 25....and the decision would be reeeeal close.

I do have some faith that the 85 is indeed an improvement but in all honesty it really hasn't proved that yet since it is a new movement, I would say that at this point the 25 proved it's worth especially at it's price point. So the 85 may be an improvement but to say the 25 has a history of failing is just ludicrously preposterous.
Rashid.bk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2012, 09:00 AM   #36
jmsrolls
Banned

Quote:

Trevor,

I've owned seven 2500 movements (A, B, & C) since 2003 without experiencing any problems. All seven were as accurate (if not more so) as any of my three 8500 watches.

Admittedly, the 8500 design is awesome but I suspect Omega will have to come up with an alternative when the pendulum swings back toward smaller watches. The solution may very well be a 2500*.
jmsrolls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2012, 10:15 AM   #37
improviz
"TRF" Member

Watch: your step
2500 x2 for moi, both are exceptionally accurate.

New arrival:
116520 white; 16613 black; 116710; 16570 polar; 16600. AP 15400; 15703. Blancpain Fifty Fathoms. Glashutte Sport Evo GMT. Omega Planet Ocean 2907.50.91; Planet Ocean Liquidmetal LE 222.30.42.20.01.001; Seamaster 2255.80.00. Breitling Crosswind, white. Panerai PAM 005. VC Overseas Chrono, black.
improviz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2012, 10:19 AM   #38
warrior
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer
Like FR. John, I have/had many 2500 powered watches ( 7-8) and they all are/were fantastic timekeepers. No problems whatsoever...that said, imo, the 8500 will prove to be a great movement.
warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2012, 10:30 AM   #39
warrior
"TRF" Member

With the exception of perhaps the JLC Polaris with python hands, I think the Planet Ocean is the absolute best looking diver in the watch world.

Classic with timeless lines, stylish, not too blingy/ fashion like. Has just the right amount of flair. I'm a Rolex fan but I think the PO is so much more distinctive and stylish in design than the Sub.

Quote:
Originally Posted by improviz View Post
2500 x2 for moi, both are exceptionally accurate.

New arrival:
Old 3 September 2012, 02:44 PM   #40
Ed Rooney
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea-Dweller 16600
3135 all the way.
Ed Rooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2012, 04:50 PM   #41
improviz
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Rooney View Post
3135 all the way.
116520 white; 16613 black; 116710; 16570 polar; 16600. AP 15400; 15703. Blancpain Fifty Fathoms. Glashutte Sport Evo GMT. Omega Planet Ocean 2907.50.91; Planet Ocean Liquidmetal LE 222.30.42.20.01.001; Seamaster 2255.80.00. Breitling Crosswind, white. Panerai PAM 005. VC Overseas Chrono, black.
Old 4 September 2012, 03:06 AM   #42
karmatp
"TRF" Member

You guys crack me up, please don't take offence to my personal opinion. I wish you all the best of accuracy and reliability with your 2500, but my hard earned money will not be spent on a watch that has had a history of movement failures. I am completely turned off by any movement that if there is a issue, it has to be shipped to another continent for a service, I want to keep my watches close to home. This is the reason I sold my Panerai with the p9000 movement, my local Panerai AD could not work on it. Different strokes for different folks, but these days, I only buy watches that my local AD's can service.

I have had a few friends that have had stoppage issues with their 2500, that is enough to keep me away from a watch with that particular movement, especially with the new fantastic 8500 on the market.
Old 4 September 2012, 05:26 AM   #43
Alessi156
"TRF" Member

8500 for many reasons.
Alessi156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2012, 09:37 AM   #44
jmsrolls
Banned

Quote:
I am completely turned off by any movement that if there is a issue, it has to be shipped to another continent for a service, I want to keep my watches close to home. This is the reason I sold my Panerai with the p9000 movement, my local Panerai AD could not work on it. Different strokes for different folks, but these days, I only buy watches that my local AD's can service.
Trevor,

I agree with those statements 100%.

My local master watchmaker is Omega/Rolex trained and certified. No way am I shipping any of my watches off to a nameless, faceless "technician" for service or repair.
jmsrolls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2012, 11:02 AM   #45
Americandave
"TRF" Member

I made the decision for the 8500 recently (bought on the forum) - the rave reviews for accuracy and reliability swayed me.
Americandave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2012, 12:21 PM   #46
improviz
"TRF" Member

Quote:
You guys crack me up, please don't take offence to my personal opinion. I wish you all the best of accuracy and reliability with your 2500, but my hard earned money will not be spent on a watch that has had a history of movement failures. I am completely turned off by any movement that if there is a issue, it has to be shipped to another continent for a service, I want to keep my watches close to home. This is the reason I sold my Panerai with the p9000 movement, my local Panerai AD could not work on it. Different strokes for different folks, but these days, I only buy watches that my local AD's can service.

I have had a few friends that have had stoppage issues with their 2500, that is enough to keep me away from a watch with that particular movement, especially with the new fantastic 8500 on the market.
Well, the fact that some, mostly very early examples of the movement had some issues certainly wasn't enough to dissuade me from getting my first 2500-equipped PO, which I've had the for five years now without a hiccup and is still keeping time within a second a day (usually better than that)...after this experience and spending years frequenting this and other forums, I had absolutely no qualms whatsoever about purchasing the the PO LM LE I picked up a week and half ago, which over that time has gained less than two seconds. If movement problems were anywhere near as frequent as some people seem to think with the 2500, this watch would have faded out ages ago, but it's going strong, and many people, myself and others included, swear by 'em.

The Internet has a way of blowing things out of proportion. The E46 BMW M3 had an issue with blown engines when it was first released, which the manufacturer figured out, fixed, and alleviated the problem. Same thing with the early 2500, which really doesn't seem to have a plethora of failures these days, as thousands of happy owners will attest on forums like this, WUS, and others. Perfect? No, but what movement is?

Even the vaunted Rolex movements have their occasional issues, as a quick search of this site will reveal, but I don't let outliers dictate my purchasing decisions. Clearly, any issues with the 2500 were sporadic at best, seem to have been confined mostly to the early releases, and are clearly not commonplace with the overwhelming majority of them; otherwise we would be inundated with reports of failures here (and elsewhere).

As to accuracy, I own five Rolexes, and the only one that can match my PO's level of accuracy is the Daytona. The GMT comes close, but top three are the two Omegas with the 2500 and the Daytona. And this after the first PO had a good five foot drop onto the floor early on (carpeted, but not exactly shag, so it took a good lick), and the second is still a young pup which isn't finished breaking in yet, so it should improve over time.

It also holds its own quite nicely against my GMTIIc in the looks dept:
Old 4 September 2012, 12:48 PM   #47
vinte77
"TRF" Member

Watch: Speedmaster 9300
can't lose with either the 2500 or the 8500
vinte77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2012, 03:27 PM   #48
Survivor
Banned

Watch: DSSD
Quote:

And you crack the rest of us up with your silly stories of 2500 failures when you've actually had zero personal experience with the watch. No one, and I mean no one, has had these problems you speak about........you might try posting in the Panerai Forum to see if you can illicit any responses on the failures of the movement in the particular Pam model you keep harping about.

Don't buy it, don't like it, stay away, save your hard earned money.........no one cares. Your apocryphal, second hand stories might be the best entertainment on these forums. They are so filled with conviction and indignation without the benefit or pleasure of owning a 2500 PO like the rest of us have. A tremendous amount of emotion for something that you are not interested in. You need to direct all that energy to something you like.

Long live our 2500 Planet Oceans......... We can buy two for the price of an 8500
Survivor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2012, 04:59 PM   #49
esm
"TRF" Member

Watch: this, bro...
Quote:

It is quite possible that any of your current collections has movement problem/issue/fault/failure sometime in its "life" via a world wide owner. Does that mean you will get rid of it too?
esm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2012, 06:20 PM   #50
dsio
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Sub 1680 '79
Quote:
3135 all the way.
Absolutely! Right up until your rotor post is shagged out
-- Rolex Submariner 1680 "Ghost" '79 --
-- Rolex SS Daytona 116520 '04 --
dsio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2012, 11:54 AM   #51
Justinsyndicate
Banned

The 2500 is an ETA 2892 with the co-axial escapement added. The 8500 is fully in-house as I understand it. As Dsio pointed out, the 8500 itself is only 5.5mm thick and thus is my vote, $6k worth of it actually:
Justinsyndicate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2012, 12:32 PM   #52
Ed Rooney
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsio View Post
Absolutely! Right up until your rotor post is shagged out
I'll let my great grandson deal with it.
Old 5 September 2012, 01:42 PM   #53
improviz
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Maybe he'll even grow up to grace our presence with OT trolling posts as well.
Old 5 September 2012, 01:57 PM   #54
Schwemmm
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega Planet Ocean
Both are winners, just so happens that the 8500 PO's don't fit well under a dress shirt. Resale value is great for both IF you plan on ever getting rid of it for some reason.

The same anecdotal "failures" can be found in car buying. You never hear from the 99% that has no problems with their car, watch, or whatever.
Schwemmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2012, 02:06 PM   #55
dsio
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Sub 1680 '79
Quote:
Well, my '79 was gone to the point of having disintegrated, and watchmakers have shown 3135s with severe wear inside of 5 years, nothing's been done to fix it. Then again some people breed faster than others
-- Rolex Submariner 1680 "Ghost" '79 --
-- Rolex SS Daytona 116520 '04 --
dsio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2012, 02:47 PM   #56
warrior
"TRF" Member

Classic!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsio View Post
Well, my '79 was gone to the point of having disintegrated, and watchmakers have shown 3135s with severe wear inside of 5 years, nothing's been done to fix it. Then again some people breed faster than others
Old 6 September 2012, 03:43 AM   #57
Ed Rooney
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Maybe he'll even grow up to grace our presence with OT trolling posts as well.
What's OT or trolling? The OP is considering trading in the Sub C. I think that's a mistake.

I own a SD and a PO2500D, so I have an opinion on both. To question the reliability or durability of the 3135 is laughable, especially based upon watchmaker hearsay. Some local watchmakers make a living from servicing and selling Omega. They will be biased.

Oh, and I've been here for 4000+ posts, 5 years, and I'm a published watch writer. I don't troll.
Old 6 September 2012, 04:03 AM   #58
improviz
"TRF" Member

Quote:
What's OT or trolling? The OP is considering trading in the Sub C. I think that's a mistake.
It's OT because he was not asking IF he should sell (not trade) it, but rather stating that he was thinking of selling it and getting a PO, in this thread entitled "Planet Ocean 42, are you a 2500 man or a 8500 man? ":

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunster View Post
I 'considering cashing in on my Sub C' and thinking about getting a PO to replace it as my dressy diver. Just wondering taking all factors of movement, dial, price and difference in height, which camp are you in?
(Unfortunately I've not seen a 8500 near me to try on)
I don't see anything along the lines of "should I keep the Sub?" in there...do you?

Quote:
I own a SD and a PO2500D, so I have an opinion on both. To question the reliability or durability of the 3135 is laughable, especially based upon watchmaker hearsay.
Well, you can see what I own by looking at my sig, and I would say that it's just as laughable to do it on the 2500 or the 8500, absent some worthwhile statistical data to the contrary, as opposed to, say, Internet hearsay...or do you have anything that conclusively proves that one movement is more or less reliable than the other?

Quote:
Some local watchmakers make a living from servicing and selling Omega. They will be biased.
Unlike, say, you?

Quote:
Oh, and I've been here for 4000+ posts, 5 years, and I'm a published watch writer. I don't troll.
So why not write something productive and contribute, rather than making snarky comments like "3135 all the way"?
Old 6 September 2012, 04:28 AM   #59
Ed Rooney
"TRF" Member

Quote:
It's OT because he was not asking IF he should sell (not trade) it, but rather stating that he was thinking of selling it and getting a PO, in this thread entitled "Planet Ocean 42, are you a 2500 man or a 8500 man? ":

I don't see anything along the lines of "should I keep the Sub?" in there...do you?

Well, you can see what I own by looking at my sig, and I would say that it's just as laughable to do it on the 2500 or the 8500, absent some worthwhile statistical data to the contrary, as opposed to, say, Internet hearsay...or do you have anything that conclusively proves that one movement is more or less reliable than the other?

Unlike, say, you?

So why not write something productive and contribute, rather than making snarky comments like "3135 all the way"?
You put a lot of time into separating all of the quotes and stuff. My compliments.

Old 6 September 2012, 04:38 AM   #60
improviz
"TRF" Member

Quote:
You put a lot of time into separating all of the quotes and stuff. My compliments.

Got one, thank you very much. 4130 kicks its ass.

It and the 3186 are the only Rolexes I've got that'll hang with my awful Omega 2500s in accuracy, and the 4130 is the only one with more power reserve.

Any more profound observations you'd care to share?