The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 24 February 2016, 04:14 PM   #31
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Huge bummer,

That is a ridiculous cost to replace the case. I wouldn't take that as my final answer, seek out upper management and press for some good will and fairness, don't be shy in sharing that you would prefer to share a happy ending rather than a sad one but in ever event are prepared to spread the word.

If all else fails, There must be a way to fuse or repair?
Old 24 February 2016, 08:11 PM   #32
john_s4
"TRF" Member

Quote:
That is a ridiculous cost to replace the case. I wouldn't take that as my final answer, seek out upper management and press for some good will and fairness, don't be shy in sharing that you would prefer to share a happy ending rather than a sad one but in ever event are prepared to spread the word.
Could you write to BMW for me, I crashed my car, wrote it off and lost a lot of money. They wanted a fortune to repair it and I think they are liable because if they hadn't sold me it I wouldn't have crashed it.

Just a shame the lugs chipped, I'm curious how it landed on, what and the angle. Hopefully you'll find a way to sort it.
john_s4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2016, 09:55 PM   #33
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I am sorry that this happened and it is a shame that the replacement case is so much. With that said, this is why all of my watches are insured with a zero deductible. That does not help on the back end but unless you want too or can afford too why not have insurance. If the owner had coverage in place this would not be as big of a deal. Off to Omega, new case and returned. A good situation for others to learn from. A bad situation if it is your watch. Good luck and let us know what happens.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2016, 12:12 AM   #34
R.J.
"TRF" Member

Watch: milgaus gv
Quote:
Originally Posted by chirojared View Post
Hey R.J. i have never used a NATO strap on a watch before. How would it help to save my watch if the springbar came off? I actually wore the watch today and it felt very stable on my wrist. it definitely wasn't a total loss for me since the watch is still wearable. Maybe I should consider myself lucky.

As a WIS of course my eyes are drawn to the chip but most people that I have shown said that it is hardly noticeable. Maybe they were being kind to make me feel better.

I'm still holding out for someone that might have a suggestion on how to possibly fill in the chip and smooth it out. I know the watch will never be perfect again but what in the world is. As of now I'm trying to stay positive and hopefully one day I will wear the watch and call it my imperfect perfect watch!
The watch would still be attached by the second spring bar. The NATO strap may also hide the chip.
Old 25 February 2016, 01:08 AM   #35
chirojared
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Sub-C
Just wanted to give everyone an update. I spoke to the Omega corporate office in New Jersey and they are sending me a prepaid box to ship my watch to them in. I told them about all of the feedback that I received on the forums regarding the damage sustained to my watch. They need to have the watch in hand to inspect it. They will then be able to advise me on where to proceed from there. They told me that they will see what they can do for me. I will keep everyone updated on what happens.
chirojared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2016, 01:24 AM   #36
chirojared
"TRF" Member

Thanks R.J.! I just looked up how a NATO strap works and I understand now. I'm going to see what the Omega corporate office can do for me.
Old 25 February 2016, 06:30 AM   #37
stockae92
"TRF" Member

Best of luck, please keep us posted on the result.

I can't really argue with Omega's pricing on the case replacement. They make the case, they set the price. That's just the price of luxury item and using the latest advanced case material.
stockae92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2016, 09:28 PM   #38
Fiery
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub-C 116610LN
$7000 sounds shockingly overpriced to me. Are you sure about that quote? I've heard of cca. $3000 to replace a ceramic AP Royal Oak Offshore Diver case. And that watch is cca. 3 times more expensive (MSRP) than the GSOTM. So if we go by AP's pricing, I'd expect Omega's ceramic case replacement to cost no more than $1000-$1500.
Old 25 February 2016, 09:59 PM   #39
chirojared
"TRF" Member

Well actually the price I was quoted for the case is $6700 but with sales tax added it is actually more than $7000.
Old 26 February 2016, 12:06 AM   #40
Fiery
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Well actually the price I was quoted for the case is $6700 but with sales tax added it is actually more than $7000.
Thank you. It's quite simply outrageous :(
Old 26 February 2016, 02:03 AM   #41
WyoWatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1675 GMT and Sub C
Quote:
That is outrageous. You can have an extremely nice brand new watch for that or less. This is one of the main reasons I dumped my Panerai. Really liked the watch but kept seeing horror stories about how people had the "quick change" strap button pop out and Panerai could (or would) do nothing but offer a case replacement for some stupid amount of money. Hope they step up and it doesn't cost you 7k.
WyoWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2016, 02:53 AM   #42
Friedl41
"TRF" Member

Watch: Changes
for the moment definitely wear it on a nato ,,, looks great on the watch ,,, even a 15 USD one, it is a great look - i wear my moon watch always on a nato, grey or black.

don´t talk to the people at the service center ,,, i am sorry to say but ofther they have no clue about watches (or not much, and at least no passion) ... better try higher managment. this is not good PR for Omega and 7000 USD to replace the case ,,, this means the case is more expensive than the movment ,,, really?

i always wonder if ceramic watches are meant to be worn or kept in the safe ,,, a simple knock on the doorhandle can destroy them ,,, i never worry about my old beaten rolex sead dweller and i was always worried when i wore my gmt master thanks to its ceramic bezel ...
PP 5065a
Friedl41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2016, 03:27 AM   #43
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Glad you were able to get ahold of someone higher up the ladder. Fingers crossed for you.
GB-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2016, 05:14 AM   #44
Fiery
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friedl41 View Post
i was always worried when i wore my gmt master thanks to its ceramic bezel ...
Fortunately a Rolex ceramic bezel insert is not that expensive. Should be under $1000 to get it replaced. Also, it is much less prone to damage than when the whole watch case is crafted from ceramics.
Old 26 February 2016, 08:39 AM   #45
chirojared
"TRF" Member

Thanks for all the good thoughts. The watch is on the way there so hopefully in a couple of days I will see what they have to say. The NATO strap does sound like a good idea going forward. As some have noted it is pretty crazy that this watch comes with a tang buckle and not a deployment clasp especially considering the idea that the ceramic is somewhat fragile. i alwayd considered Rolex and omega watches to be tool watches and as as everyday type of watch you shouldn't have to worry about things like this happening.

I really hope that Omega values their customers and maybe uses my experience to either toughen up the watch somehow or put out a warning to potential customers. The area of my watch that got chipped might be a point of weakness as shown by someone on another forum.

Upon examining my Gsotm watch it does seem that the corner of the lug is very exposed on the leather band. I also own on omega planet ocean on the rubber strap and looking at that watch the lugs are protected by the way the rubber strap lies against the lug. It is almost like a smooth surface between the band and the lug.
Old 26 February 2016, 09:15 AM   #46
ocwatching
"TRF" Member

ouch...hopefully you are offered a better solution from Omega corporate.
I had a DSOTM..love everything about it except I find myself constantly fearing a drop or a chip...which reduced my enjoyment...

good luck
Old 26 February 2016, 10:57 AM   #47
Mastergreenhand
"TRF" Member

Watch: Starbucks
Good luck. I hope Omega gives you a decent resolution.
Old 26 February 2016, 08:04 PM   #48
Friedl41
"TRF" Member

Watch: Changes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiery View Post
Fortunately a Rolex ceramic bezel insert is not that expensive. Should be under $1000 to get it replaced. Also, it is much less prone to damage than when the whole watch case is crafted from ceramics.
true but 1000 USD is also some money ... just saying i was not as relaxed as i am with my others i.e. sea dweller
PP 5065a
Friedl41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2016, 08:25 PM   #49
xman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I spoke to the Omega corporate office in New Jersey and they are sending me a prepaid box to ship my watch to them in... They need to have the watch in hand to inspect it.
This is actually what I was going to propose - best to send it in and let inspect the damage. Cross fingers they are able to assist.
xman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2016, 12:58 AM   #50
Baco Noir
"TRF" Member

Watch: this ya'll
Quote:
Just wanted to give everyone an update. I spoke to the Omega corporate office in New Jersey and they are sending me a prepaid box to ship my watch to them in. I told them about all of the feedback that I received on the forums regarding the damage sustained to my watch. They need to have the watch in hand to inspect it. They will then be able to advise me on where to proceed from there. They told me that they will see what they can do for me. I will keep everyone updated on what happens.

Very interested in the response. The chip location seems a bit sketchy being that it is on the inside of the lug. Ceramics usually fail at the point of impact and it is hard to imagine how that could have been a point of impact.

As others have said, Omega needs to re-evaluate their pricing on these ceramic cases if they want them to be successful in the long run. Damage will occur and at these replacement costs, they become a throw away watch rather than worthy of a repair - real shame IMHO.
Current Collection: Rolex 116710BLNR & 216570 polar Explorer II; Omega Apollo 8 Speedmaster; Tudor BB Bronze Bucherer Blue Edition; Heuer Heritage Autavia; Nomos Club Sport Neomatik 42; Breitling Aerospace, Avenger Blackbird, & Superocean 44; Seiko Black Monster; Mickey Mouse Timex Electric; and dare I say it...an Apple Watch too
Baco Noir is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2016, 01:39 AM   #51
GoingPlaces
"TRF" Member

So sorry to hear of your misfortune. I hope there is a swift and not too painful resolution. I was seriously considering this piece but after reading this and other similar stories I will pass.

For me, the issue is not the fragility of ceramic, but 7k to replace the case? Seriously? That's way too much. Absurd amount for just a case, even if it is ceramic. Omega can charge what they want, it's their product but what a deterring factor for most. I expect we will start to hear more and more of these issues arising.

Good Luck.
GoingPlaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2016, 03:33 AM   #52
SearChart
TechXpert

Ceramic just isn't the greatest material for a watch case, yes it's very good looking and scratch resistant but one unlucky hug with a doorknob and it's over.
And to make things even worse they charge 7k for a new case?! Ridiculous.
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2016, 07:00 PM   #53
Rocket_Man
"TRF" Member

That really sucks. That little chip essentially 'totaled' your watch. If you watch were a car like an earlier poster compared it to a BMW.... BMW would have totaled your car for a dent in the door.

These cases are made using a sintered. Ceramic powder is formed in a mould under some compression and then heated to make the powered stick together. It doesn't really melt together. As everyone knows, it can be very hard, but not very strong. Like a diamond can be shattered if you hit it with a hammer. From the look of where the chip is, and given that you couldn't really hit the case directly at that point because the strap would have protected it, there could have been a weak point in that part of the mould if it did not get compressed properly. A little nudge from the fall and maybe a little torque from the strap twisting the springbar cause it to break out at this weak point. You would think that polishing would have found any weak point in the watch but you never know.

Hopefully Omega takes a little responsibility for making such a fragile watch and repairs it at a reasonable price. With this policy they certainly aren't encouraging people pay a premium to buy such a fragile piece that can be totaled if you bump it the wrong way.

If they don't and you can't get it economically repaired then you might as well try some repair perhaps with epoxy. once cured it could be sanded and painted to cover it up. It may sound crude and only cosmetic but who is going to buy the watch from you if it takes 7-grand to fix. Or just wear it with the chip. Either way you don't have to worry any more about chipping it.

Best of luck.
Rocket_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2016, 03:12 PM   #54
Alford78
"TRF" Member

I told him on the omega forum that since the spring bar came out when the watch fell but didn't chip the actual spring bar hole that the actual pressure of the spring bar hitting the inside of the case right there is what did it. He mentioned the strap coming off during the fall and it kinda just made sense. That's one of the weakest places on the watch that shouldn't ever really have any pressure put on it but when the tip of the bar hit it that could have caused the damage. Point load of that spring plus the force from the fall all directed the impact in a very small place that was vulnerable. That's just my theory from an engineer's aspect. I could be totally wrong but worth mentioning in case that's what happened.

I love my GSOTM and keep calling the boutique every week to see if the Ti/ceramic deployant is available yet. They told me to start calling at first of year and have been for 8 weeks now. Crazy how they can't get them out to us.
Alford78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2016, 03:05 PM   #55
chirojared
"TRF" Member

Hi Al,
Just to give you an update I spoke to Omega today about what you mentioned and they are going to look into it for me. They seem like they are going to work with me though in the replacement of the case. They told me that there is no way to repair the watch at this time. I will also discuss the possibility of fitting a deployment clasp on the watch as well. I'm waiting to hear back hopefully soon from Omega and I will see what they can do for me. Thanks again for your help.
Old 2 March 2016, 03:28 PM   #56
Rookie52
"TRF" Member

Hopefully you get some good news from them. Good luck!
Rookie52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2016, 06:18 PM   #57
maxtor71
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega Apollo Soyuz
Quote:
Hi Al,
Just to give you an update I spoke to Omega today about what you mentioned and they are going to look into it for me. They seem like they are going to work with me though in the replacement of the case. They told me that there is no way to repair the watch at this time. I will also discuss the possibility of fitting a deployment clasp on the watch as well. I'm waiting to hear back hopefully soon from Omega and I will see what they can do for me. Thanks again for your help.
I'm sure there are solutions to deal with chips like this on ceramic but, being a business, they don't want to take the risk of putting a fix in place that they can't guarantee in the long term. I can see where they are coming from.

My DSOtM has taken a few knocks in the two years I've owned it but it has been incredibly resilient - not a chip or scratch in sight. Ceramic is quite strong but I think in your situation, it was a few things that conspired to cause actual damage. Hope it all works out.

Max
maxtor71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2016, 01:13 AM   #58
Baco Noir
"TRF" Member

Watch: this ya'll
Omega Speedmaster GSOTM chipped lug

If they put the case under a microscope and have someone familiar with failure analysis at the facility or can send them a photo, they will easily be able to tell if it was a point defect (failure from a weak spot in the ceramic) vs an impact failure. Like Rocket_Man said above, based on the location inside the lug, my instinct says point defect.
Current Collection: Rolex 116710BLNR & 216570 polar Explorer II; Omega Apollo 8 Speedmaster; Tudor BB Bronze Bucherer Blue Edition; Heuer Heritage Autavia; Nomos Club Sport Neomatik 42; Breitling Aerospace, Avenger Blackbird, & Superocean 44; Seiko Black Monster; Mickey Mouse Timex Electric; and dare I say it...an Apple Watch too
Baco Noir is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2016, 03:57 AM   #59
richard371
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN White
Hope all works out. Please insure it when you get it back. Not just for a freak accident but for theft, loss etc which are just as likely. Glad you will go with the deployment I love mine. Wish omega had gone that route in the first place and we may have never seen these 2 cases. Do you feel you dropped it due to the non deployment clasp?
richard371 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2016, 09:22 AM   #60
chirojared
"TRF" Member

I think that if I had a deployment clasp this may never have happened. I'm still in discussion with Omega regarding replacing the case. I have brought the idea of the point defect to their attention and they are looking into that for me. I have told them that I have spoken to a couple of engineers who have shared that concern. I am now expecting a call back from a service director to discuss the case further.