The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 7 February 2017, 11:27 AM   #61
JacksonStone
Banned

What sensui said. Just keep winding until the crown stops. You'll definitely know when it's fully wound.
JacksonStone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2017, 01:41 PM   #62
vladi123456
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensui View Post
On the speedmaster .... The crown stops turning when it's completely wound. In normal mechanical automatic pieces, there is over winding protection usually with a slipping clutch system but manual wind pieces like the speedmaster simply stops..... Would take significant force to wind past this point on a speedmaster and it would certainly break stuff.
Thank you for taking the time to respond - much appreciated as always!
vladi123456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2017, 01:42 PM   #63
vladi123456
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonStone View Post
What sensui said. Just keep winding until the crown stops. You'll definitely know when it's fully wound.
Thank you!!
Old 7 February 2017, 04:03 PM   #64
JPizzzle
"TRF" Member

Congrats!!!

Where did you locate the Soyuz? I tried tracking down a NIB but couldn't find a US one.
JPizzzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2017, 08:39 AM   #65
vladi123456
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPizzzle View Post
Congrats!!!

Where did you locate the Soyuz? I tried tracking down a NIB but couldn't find a US one.
Thank you!
Well, it's definitely not NIB anymore - I just managed to scratch the bracelet pretty badly at the gym - which makes it my second Omega in a row that had a close encounter with a dumbbell. You could say I'm not a quick learner

But to answer your question - I actually found two, one in Italy and one in France. The French seller responded first - so I got mine from him. Amusing fact - it cost less than the US MSRP. Even after shipping and custom fees. The watch is amazing - just like everyone says. Very happy with it!!
Old 8 February 2017, 08:44 AM   #66
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladi123456 View Post
Thank you!
Well, it's definitely not NIB anymore - I just managed to scratch the bracelet pretty badly at the gym - which makes it my second Omega in a row that had a close encounter with a dumbbell. You could say I'm not a quick learner
No offense, but I've never understood the rationale of wearing luxury watches at the gym. For one, accidents are bound to happen; if you have any interest in keeping your watches nice, a gym isn't the place for them. Also, at least for me, digital watches beat analog for timing purposes hands down. I time my set breaks, so having a timer with an alarm works much better than eyeing the clock or chronograph. I use either a Timex Ironman or Casio G-Shock. They're durable, relatively inexpensive, and work great. The G-Shock I just got has a vibrating alarm, so I can feel it when wearing earbuds, and others won't have to hear it.
Old 8 February 2017, 10:05 AM   #67
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
No offense, but I've never understood the rationale of wearing luxury watches at the gym. For one, accidents are bound to happen; if you have any interest in keeping your watches nice, a gym isn't the place for them. Also, at least for me, digital watches beat analog for timing purposes hands down. I time my set breaks, so having a timer with an alarm works much better than eyeing the clock or chronograph. I use either a Timex Ironman or Casio G-Shock. They're durable, relatively inexpensive, and work great. The G-Shock I just got has a vibrating alarm, so I can feel it when wearing earbuds, and others won't have to hear it.
I second this.....I never wear my watches to gym....and this is since starting weight training in my college days 20 years ago.....

1) There are clocks @ every gym I go to, and I can just glance @ it here and there to keep track.

2) I know my own routines on different days well enough to know when to start back up/rest time is over etc.

There just seems to be too much going on @ gym and too many things/people that may bump into you with different equipment to cause damage....and no real reason to wear one.

Gotta protect that beauty, but to each their own on how they like to enjoy their timepiece of course.
sensui is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2017, 01:24 PM   #68
vladi123456
"TRF" Member

Ugh, about a year ago I even bought a $10 watch for these purposes - and I always forget to wear it, really disappointed with myself today....
Old 8 February 2017, 02:07 PM   #69
JacksonStone
Banned

Remind me never to buy a pre-owned watch from you.
Old 8 February 2017, 03:12 PM   #70
Rolextellstime
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 116610LV
Thanks for the post

Quote:
Not my pics, but plenty of shots available....like every speedy on leather straps, it looks exquisite:

https://omegaforums.net/threads/new-...rite-le.48671/
I just bought this watch and asked the AD to have it serviced since it was 6 years at Omega / AD and it's time to change the oils. I can't wait to receive my Speediorite. As soon as I get the watch I will post some pics.

Thanks for sharing this thread and the pictures, the photos and the watch is absolutely stunning.
Rolextellstime is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2017, 03:27 PM   #71
Rolextellstime
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thank you, sir! I must say - pictures don't do any justice to this watch. In real life it looks way nicer than any of the pictures I was able to take of it, or any I've seen of it!
Congrats and enjoy that beauty of a watch, best speedy in my opinion.
Old 9 February 2017, 10:26 AM   #72
vladi123456
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Remind me never to buy a pre-owned watch from you.
I'll do my best)) But I'm actually hoping my son would like to have it when he grows up - we'll see if watches are still cool a few years from now)
Old 9 February 2017, 10:27 AM   #73
vladi123456
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolextellstime View Post
Congrats and enjoy that beauty of a watch, best speedy in my opinion.
Likewise!
Where did you get yours?
Old 9 February 2017, 10:29 AM   #74
Rolextellstime
"TRF" Member

I was able to find one at the Canadian Omega AD in a smaller town. I was very surprised and happy that I found it and didn't think twice about buying it. I am waiting three weeks already for it to come back from service.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
Old 9 February 2017, 10:30 AM   #75
Rolextellstime
"TRF" Member

Will post some pictures as soon as I get it

Old 9 February 2017, 01:39 PM   #76
vladi123456
"TRF" Member

Cool, that sounds almost too easy how you found one! And at the same time amusing how long it takes to sell 1975 watches - Omega were selling less than 300 of these per year in average. The watch is so awesome I don't understand how it didn't sell out in the first week..
I decided not to service mine for now - and when I do, I'll take it to a local guy across the street. He mainly specializes in Rolex, but can service Omega as well.. My understanding is that turnaround time would be much quicker..
Old 9 February 2017, 08:44 PM   #77
vkd668
"TRF" Member

Watch: JLC TTDS European
Big congrats. Welcome to the exclusive 😜😜😜 Speedeorite Club. Enjoy! 😊

20170209_214220.jpg

20170209_214254.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
vkd668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2017, 06:15 AM   #78
Rolextellstime
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Cool, that sounds almost too easy how you found one! And at the same time amusing how long it takes to sell 1975 watches - Omega were selling less than 300 of these per year in average. The watch is so awesome I don't understand how it didn't sell out in the first week..
I decided not to service mine for now - and when I do, I'll take it to a local guy across the street. He mainly specializes in Rolex, but can service Omega as well.. My understanding is that turnaround time would be much quicker..
I think the reason that the watches weren't selling fast at the ADs is how the watch looks inside the store due to the bright light. Under that bright light the crystal looks all scratched up as the marks from the dial reflect on the crystal and it makes the watch look very vintage and scratched. Those who are not familiar with the watch, see the scratches and see the fairly high sticker price, can be forgiven for passing on this amazing watch.
I wonder if I bought the last one at the AD or if there are others perhaps new waiting to be picked up at the AD?
If really uncommon to at the same time have people chasing and trying to find this watch while in the meantime there might be a brand new one waiting lonely at the AD for an owner.

Old 10 February 2017, 12:58 PM   #79
WJGESQ
Banned

Quote:
I think you'd be on the right track...one of the most stunning speedmasters that no pictures do justice:

This dial is very dynamic in various lightning and the meteorite dial truly complements the rich space history behind speedmaster. You cannot go wrong with this watch.
Wow. Bet that one is expensive as it looks. Very nice
WJGESQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2017, 01:29 PM   #80
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJGESQ View Post
If I recall, it was a bit more expensive when new than a regular Speedy pro, but not much - if any - more expensive than a more complicated Speedy, such as one with moon phase and date register. I couldn't tell you what's happened to the prices on the pre-owned market, but Omega isn't known for holding its resale value particularly well. Maybe this one is an exception.

I'm rather sorry I didn't get it back in 2011, since a nearby AD just had one sitting in the case. Actually, I feel similarly regarding the original PO Liquidmetal. An AD had one ready to go, and I passed. Both would be welcome in my collection today.
Old 10 February 2017, 01:52 PM   #81
vladi123456
"TRF" Member

As far as I recall, in Europe initially it cost almost twice as much as a regular speedmaster - around €6k - which was in 2010. Now MSRP in US is around $10k on the few remaining ones from what I understand. Those who bought it in 2010 are probably not going to lose any money on it. Seems to be the case with a lot of LE Omegas..
Old 10 February 2017, 02:28 PM   #82
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJGESQ View Post
Original MSRP in the US from boutiques is $8800. After everything sold out and dust settled, somehow there were still watches around and they were re-distributed to boutiques and they marked up the watches to ~$10k due to the demand of meteorite. Aftermarket has cooled somewhat recently (that's why I decided to pick one up) for around $7.5k for a nice full set.....but they were up there for awhile and who knows where the value goes in the future...could care less really, enjoying the hell out of the watch:

Look at that picture I took today vs the one I posted previously...it's the same watch but the dial looks SO different on the meteorite striation patterns from different light angles. This watch is definitely the most dynamic one I own.
sensui is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2017, 03:32 PM   #83
ck1109
"TRF" Member

Watch: Many...
Now that your bracelet's scratched up, you can switch out to a nice leather strap.

I've been wearing mine on a nice leather strap and I like this combo.
ck1109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2017, 04:55 PM   #84
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
Original MSRP in the US from boutiques is $8800. After everything sold out and dust settled, somehow there were still watches around and they were re-distributed to boutiques and they marked up the watches to ~$10k due to the demand of meteorite.
Sheesh. Either my memory is off, or the AD near me was offering the watch for an exceptionally good price. I'm going to go with bad memory.
Old 11 February 2017, 07:31 AM   #85
vladi123456
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ck1109 View Post
Now that your bracelet's scratched up, you can switch out to a nice leather strap.

I've been wearing mine on a nice leather strap and I like this combo.

I kind of polished the scratch away mostly - now it's barely noticeable. Took me three days and three nights - and a lot of cursing in multiple languages at myself

I do like the strap. My wife voted in favor of a bracelet, but I think I like the strap better.. Where did you get yours? I saw quite a few on ebay that are in the $50 range or so. Just any 20mm strap will do?

Very cool photo, by the way!!!
Old 11 February 2017, 07:38 AM   #86
vladi123456
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Original MSRP in the US from boutiques is $8800. After everything sold out and dust settled, somehow there were still watches around and they were re-distributed to boutiques and they marked up the watches to ~$10k due to the demand of meteorite. Aftermarket has cooled somewhat recently (that's why I decided to pick one up) for around $7.5k for a nice full set.....but they were up there for awhile and who knows where the value goes in the future...could care less really, enjoying the hell out of the watch:

Look at that picture I took today vs the one I posted previously...it's the same watch but the dial looks SO different on the meteorite striation patterns from different light angles. This watch is definitely the most dynamic one I own.
I really like it how this watch looks different at different angles. Also, it's very cool to know that I have something on my wrist that is 4 billion years old and came from another world. I'm kind of surprised that meteorite dials aren't super popular..
Old 11 February 2017, 07:39 AM   #87
vladi123456
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Sheesh. Either my memory is off, or the AD near me was offering the watch for an exceptionally good price. I'm going to go with bad memory.
They probably were offering for an exceptional price - MSRP is one thing - selling off old stock is another :)
Old 11 February 2017, 08:58 AM   #88
ck1109
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I kind of polished the scratch away mostly - now it's barely noticeable. Took me three days and three nights - and a lot of cursing in multiple languages at myself

I do like the strap. My wife voted in favor of a bracelet, but I think I like the strap better.. Where did you get yours? I saw quite a few on ebay that are in the $50 range or so. Just any 20mm strap will do?

Very cool photo, by the way!!!
Mine's custom made by iyonk_strap on Instagram, in the ~$65 range.

I also like straps from bandrbands.com and basandlokes.com

Alternatively, Holben's Fine Watch Bands carries a good range of watch straps as well.
Old 11 February 2017, 09:00 AM   #89
ck1109
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I really like it how this watch looks different at different angles. Also, it's very cool to know that I have something on my wrist that is 4 billion years old and came from another world. I'm kind of surprised that meteorite dials aren't super popular..
Most people don't realize/don't care. They had these at a local boutique and one person asked what the discount would be for a "defective dial". It was hilarious watching the salesperson explain after that....
Old 11 February 2017, 10:52 AM   #90
vladi123456
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ck1109 View Post
Most people don't realize/don't care. They had these at a local boutique and one person asked what the discount would be for a "defective dial". It was hilarious watching the salesperson explain after that....
Defective dial?? Hilarious!
Thank you for the tip - I'll take a look