The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 20 December 2012, 12:54 PM   #1
bigwatchman
"TRF" Member

keep or flip Sub for PO?

I have been currently infatuated by the orange PO. I think it is the ultimate cool watch. It helps that I am a Clemson Tiger so orange is in my blood. Exactly a year ago I acquired a F series Rolex 14060. It was always a goal to own one. I have rarely worn it on a bracelet. I like it but don't love it. The wanting for years was way more than actually owning it. Part of me wants to flip it to put towards not one but two PO's, orange and a black. I think going pre-owned, I could be close in price. At the same time, I know the Sub is a timeless piece that will also hold its value. I probably would regret selling in time but I so want a PO in orange. I really don't know what to do. Its also time for a service on my Sub so there is another $700ish... Service or flip... quite a quandary...
bigwatchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2012, 12:57 PM   #2
Jase0851

Keep the sub and save for a pre owned PO, I have the 2500D PO and a 14060M and they both have different draws for different reasons. I wouldn't sell either. I have contemplated buying an orange bezel for a change on my PO though
Jase0851 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2012, 01:13 PM   #3
financeman
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner
I am probably a little bias but I would definitely keep the sub and save for the PO. Do what you think is best though

financeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2012, 01:17 PM   #4
Nsingh
"TRF" Member

Watch: SubC GMTII-C
Agree. Nothing compares to a sub. You can get a pre-owned 2500 PO for between 2,500 - 3,000. A used 8500 PO for around 4,000 - 4,600. Save for the PO.
Nsingh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2012, 01:21 PM   #5
flyinbrian
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
Save and purchase the PO, if you find after you have both that you don't wear the sub flip it. The sub will hold its value so you really have nothing to loose.
flyinbrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2012, 02:01 PM   #6
outlaw468
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Omega
I agree with the previous posts. Keep and save for a pre-owned PO. I've had a similar dilemma in the past which caused lots of flipping and lots of small gains and losses. I think you will be happier with both.
Old 20 December 2012, 02:29 PM   #7
joe100
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Explorer
I'd say save and get a pre-owned
Old 20 December 2012, 03:30 PM   #8
Submarino
"TRF" Member

Watch: them for me!
If you don't like the Sub anymore flip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk. Watches are the new currency!

Instagram @watchcollectinglifestyle

Submarino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2012, 03:53 PM   #9
Transient
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Omega
I thought many times about flipping my sub to fund other timepieces but I always go through phases, sometimes my Seamaster, owns my wrist, sometimes my Speedy, sometimes my Sub.
I would not flip, just save for it...
Transient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2012, 08:35 PM   #10
WJGESQ
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwatchman View Post
I have been currently infatuated by the orange PO. I think it is the ultimate cool watch. It helps that I am a Clemson Tiger so orange is in my blood. Exactly a year ago I acquired a F series Rolex 14060. It was always a goal to own one. I have rarely worn it on a bracelet. I like it but don't love it. The wanting for years was way more than actually owning it. Part of me wants to flip it to put towards not one but two PO's, orange and a black. I think going pre-owned, I could be close in price. At the same time, I know the Sub is a timeless piece that will also hold its value. I probably would regret selling in time but I so want a PO in orange. I really don't know what to do. Its also time for a service on my Sub so there is another $700ish... Service or flip... quite a quandary...
Let the sub go. Set it free.

Put it side by side with a PO and the choice will be very easy for you.

WJGESQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2012, 08:57 PM   #11
bjpk
"TRF" Member

keep the sub as your everyday diver and get the po in orange
bjpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2012, 09:12 PM   #12
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Sub for me but it sounds like you are craving that PO
Old 20 December 2012, 10:39 PM   #13
gnuyork
"TRF" Member

I've tried on the LV sub, and though I thought it was very nice, and I'm likely to be in the minority here, but I prefer the older PO 2500 to the sub...but... I think I would prefer the sub to the new PO. I've seen the newer PO in the 45 size in person, but not the 42... so I can only judge based on that.

Bottom line the PO 2500D is king dive watch for me.
gnuyork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2012, 11:05 PM   #14
Vincent65
"TRF" Member

flip - you don't love the sub
Vincent65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2012, 11:15 PM   #15
The GMT Master
"TRF" Member

Flip for the Planet Ocean, you won't look back
The GMT Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2012, 11:25 PM   #16
Bernie.H.
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJGESQ View Post
Let the sub go. Set it free.

Put it side by side with a PO and the choice will be very easy for you.

+1
Bernie.H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2012, 11:54 PM   #17
JB7
"TRF" Member

Amazing, I've been the other way round. But I've had good service from the POs so will probably keep both. And pine for the Sub
JB7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2012, 12:43 AM   #18
dconner2006

I saw the oragne PO yesterday. I say go for it, if you dont love the rollie why are you even debating?
dconner2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2012, 01:29 AM   #19
bigwatchman
"TRF" Member

Thanks for all of the replies. I like my Sub but not as much as I thought I would before I acquired it. I have owned a Seamaster 2264.50 prior to having the Sub. The only reason I parted with it was because it was a quartz model. It was purchased new at an AD. I wanted the sub as it would hold its value in the long run. In my opinion, having owned two Rolex watches and now two Omega watches, the fit and finish on the Omega's is superior to Rolex. Two problems with this are that the Rolex movement is superior to the ETA movement, although it is very reliable and solidly built. Second is that the Omega watches will depreciate in value while my Rolex will maintain its value or appreciate. The Sub is iconic and I do like it. It just hasn't had that... WOW... that I was hoping for when I purchased it. I will probably just save for the orange PO and keep the Sub. It may be the only Rolex I ever own in the future as I only see myself adding Omega watches to my collection. Again, thank you for all the input.
Old 21 December 2012, 01:51 AM   #20
Cuts33
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwatchman View Post
Thanks for all of the replies. I like my Sub but not as much as I thought I would before I acquired it. I have owned a Seamaster 2264.50 prior to having the Sub. The only reason I parted with it was because it was a quartz model. It was purchased new at an AD. I wanted the sub as it would hold its value in the long run. In my opinion, having owned two Rolex watches and now two Omega watches, the fit and finish on the Omega's is superior to Rolex. Two problems with this are that the Rolex movement is superior to the ETA movement, although it is very reliable and solidly built. Second is that the Omega watches will depreciate in value while my Rolex will maintain its value or appreciate. The Sub is iconic and I do like it. It just hasn't had that... WOW... that I was hoping for when I purchased it. I will probably just save for the orange PO and keep the Sub. It may be the only Rolex I ever own in the future as I only see myself adding Omega watches to my collection. Again, thank you for all the input.
A couple comments.

1. I don't think you've specified if it is the 2500 or the 8500 PO you are after. If it is the 8500, I wouldn't call the 3135 movement "superior." I am not putting the 3135 down or wanting to turn this into a debate about the movements since that has been done over and over - I just care to say that they are both great in their own right.

2. We spend too much on watches to not love every one we own. If you don't love it, leave it.
Cuts33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2012, 02:05 AM   #21
OTX
"TRF" Member

I would sell the sub. The PO whether the 2500 or 8500 is a very fine watch. Whoever talks shi@ about the PO has never handled one in person. Omega makes a fine watch!. I've owned everything from Rolex to Breitling to Omega and so on and the PO is my favorite watch. Had both the PO 2500 and PO 8500 but ended up selling the PO 8500 because I preferred the look of the PO 2500 more. Now I have the PO 2500 and I love it. Here is a pic of both the POs I owned/have. Good luck.

OTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2012, 02:57 AM   #22
dspd204

Watch: SDDS

My orange PO gets much more wrist time than my SubC.
dspd204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2012, 08:03 AM   #23
bigwatchman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuts33 View Post
A couple comments.

1. I don't think you've specified if it is the 2500 or the 8500 PO you are after. If it is the 8500, I wouldn't call the 3135 movement "superior." I am not putting the 3135 down or wanting to turn this into a debate about the movements since that has been done over and over - I just care to say that they are both great in their own right.

2. We spend too much on watches to not love every one we own. If you don't love it, leave it.
I agree with you about the movement. I understand the new 8500 movement is on par or above the 3135 and can hold its own. As for my preference, they both have their attributes. I really am drawn to the aesthetic details of the 8500. I love the notched bezel, similar in style to the old Rolex Subs of the early years. As for the movements, in my opinion, either would be fine for my needs. As for my price range, the 2500 is probably going to fit better. Since I can get the orange bezel on either movement, it is a win-win either way. The only decision I have to make is would I want to pay more for the 8500 with better movement and the bezel I love. Of course, for the right price and condition, I believe I could be just as happy with the 2500.

As for your second point, I like it a lot... just don't have the love I thought I would. I do believe that I would miss I if I flipped it. I just have been having this itch that I just can't scratch without parting with my most expensive watch... I never said it was the smartest thing to do...
Old 21 December 2012, 09:01 AM   #24
Cuts33
"TRF" Member

[QUOTE=As for your second point, I like it a lot... just don't have the love I thought I would. I do believe that I would miss I if I flipped it. I just have been having this itch that I just can't scratch without parting with my most expensive watch... I never said it was the smartest thing to do...[/QUOTE]

Oh OK. I thought this was more of a situation where you have an expensive piece of art hanging on the wall but absolutely hate it. Every time you walk by you can't stand to look at it but when someone asks why you don't just take it down, the only answer is "because it's expensive."

Sounds silly, but I know some people in that situation.

Since that is clearly not the case here, I'd give it some time then. Maybe sit on it for a little while and see if the PO is still screaming out to you.

The sub isn't going to lose any value in the mean time and the PO isn't going anywhere either.

EDIT:

Another thought - you could always consider selling the F serial for an older model, like an A serial. Perhaps net $1000 and use that towards the purchase of a PO.

Might just be crazy talk I don't know.
Cuts33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2012, 12:02 PM   #25
AK797
Banned

Watch: ing ships roll in
I understand your point, the orange PO if you love it, and I do, youll love it forever and it certainly has more wow and just-makes-you-smile factor than the old Sub so if I were you Id flip now. If you were talking about the new subc then that has the wow factor and Id save up and have both.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2012, 11:49 PM   #26
bigwatchman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aksingh View Post
I understand your point, the orange PO if you love it, and I do, youll love it forever and it certainly has more wow and just-makes-you-smile factor than the old Sub so if I were you Id flip now. If you were talking about the new subc then that has the wow factor and Id save up and have both.
I have the old 14060M. I actually do not care for the new larger cases with, IMHO, disproportionately sized bracelets. Because mine is now discontinued, I am a little hesitant to part with it. It is a full set with all contents from when new. I believe that the orange PO has that WOW factor that will always make an orange loving person smile. I would love to go out and pick up one today... maybe if 2013 looks to be a strong year, maybe that will be on my incoming list. Someday I will have one though... I am sure they are not going anywhere.
Old 23 December 2012, 02:24 AM   #27
AK797
Banned

Watch: ing ships roll in
If I was you Id set a target date of say 3 or 6 months to save and buy the PO. If by then you dont have the cash then Id sell the Sub and get your true love.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2012, 02:44 AM   #28
tudorluv
"TRF" Member

I really like the simpler (non chronograph) 42mm orange bezel and orange numbered dial Planet Ocean on the steel bracelet although the black strap with orange thread is really happening too (a bit too bold for my taste though). Do whatever makes you happy as far as trade vs save for both.
tudorluv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2012, 04:21 AM   #29
bigwatchman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tudorluv View Post
I really like the simpler (non chronograph) 42mm orange bezel and orange numbered dial Planet Ocean on the steel bracelet although the black strap with orange thread is really happening too (a bit too bold for my taste though). Do whatever makes you happy as far as trade vs save for both.
I like both the chrono and the plain orange PO. I will probably end up with the plain PO. Being self employed, I need to wait and see how the housing markets set next year. Many things have to come before acquiring another timepiece... that is unless I part with with something I already have.