The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 26 January 2018, 05:36 AM   #1
JRR
"TRF" Member

Is my AD full of it?

Hi folks. I have unfortunately not been able to be active here for a while. Back in 2016, I searched high and low for an AD that would negotiate substantially. I finally found one, bought my first Rolex, and have been referring many family, friends, and Forum members to them with great success.

Fast forward to yesterday, I contacted the owner with a request for a friend, and below was his reply - which is totally out of character. My question is if there is any truth to his response, or is he full of it, like the "typical" Rolex AD is?

"All Rolex's on serious backorder and allocation. Especially models like the Sky Dweller's. I’m afraid the days of any substantial discounts, even for good customers, is over."
JRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2018, 05:37 AM   #2
tbonesteak
"TRF" Member

Watch: me go broke!
Was your request for a Sky-Dweller? Were you asking for a discount on the Sky-Dweller?
tbonesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2018, 05:40 AM   #3
SeaDweller50
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M 2 liner
No, your AD is not full of it. He’s probably feeling the pinch.
SeaDweller50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2018, 05:42 AM   #4
BristolCavendish
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post
...or is he full of it, like the "typical" Rolex AD is?
Source another AD to confirm any suspicions.
BristolCavendish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2018, 05:43 AM   #5
JRR
"TRF" Member

Yes folks. It was for a Sky Dweller. Please fill me in, as I have not been active here for a while. What is the "pinch"? I recall that he was even able to discount the new Daytona, when the new model was released and in extreme high demand - very difficult to come by.
Old 26 January 2018, 05:49 AM   #6
Swiss Mad!
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Quote:
Hi folks. I have unfortunately not been able to be active here for a while. Back in 2016, I searched high and low for an AD that would negotiate substantially. I finally found one, bought my first Rolex, and have been referring many family, friends, and Forum members to them with great success.

Fast forward to yesterday, I contacted the owner with a request for a friend, and below was his reply - which is totally out of character. My question is if there is any truth to his response, or is he full of it, like the "typical" Rolex AD is?

"All Rolex's on serious backorder and allocation. Especially models like the Sky Dweller's. I’m afraid the days of any substantial discounts, even for good customers, is over."
In November 2017 my cousin got a SS Sub date but had to pay full UK list which is £6250.
Fast forward to December 2017 I got a Sub TT blue from the same AD for £9,150.
UK list for that watch is £9,900 so although not 'massive' still better than a poke in the eye with a s***ty stick..
I think it all depends on the model your after.
SS sports are always going to be difficult/impossible to get a discount on - TT & PM models you should still be able to do a deal.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

instagram: max.parkin
Swiss Mad! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2018, 05:54 AM   #7
SCSportsman
"TRF" Member

Watch: YM, SMP and 50Sub
Just look at the display cases in the stores. Most all are severely lacking in inventory as Rolex has been behind on the supply chain. On top of it, demand is up, which is why you see so many grey market watches selling above MSRP.
SCSportsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2018, 05:56 AM   #8
tbonesteak
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yes folks. It was for a Sky Dweller. Please fill me in, as I have not been active here for a while. What is the "pinch"? I recall that he was even able to discount the new Daytona, when the new model was released and in extreme high demand - very difficult to come by.
I'll say this much; if you sent him a note asking for a discount on a SS Sky-Dweller, he was probably very dismissive.

Very in-demand tough to source watch, blue ones are going for $4-$5k over retail and white/black are between $1500-$3k over retail.

Prob best to just respond kindly and ask him to get on the list.
Old 26 January 2018, 05:56 AM   #9
MTx2
"TRF" Member

If you're seeking a SS Sky Dweller, then he's not full of it. If it's a PM Sky Dweller, then yes he's full of it.
MTx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2018, 05:57 AM   #10
Swiss Mad!
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Quote:
I would guess 'the pinch' is refering to the traditional slow down in January trade felt by your AD following the Christmas rush of the previous December?

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

instagram: max.parkin
Swiss Mad! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2018, 05:57 AM   #11
tbonesteak
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTx2 View Post
If you're seeking a SS Sky Dweller, then he's not full of it. If it's a PM Sky Dweller, then yes he's full of it.
He'd of been happy to negotiate on this.
Old 26 January 2018, 05:59 AM   #12
harvey
"TRF" Member

Why does he need to discount, when there can be a queue around the block to buy it at full price?
harvey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2018, 06:02 AM   #13
jrs146
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Nae Nae
Is my AD full of it?

SkyD discounts are basically not available. Same with the Daytona.

I was offered a moderate discount on a D-blue. I passed as it’s just too big for me. I’ve been offered what I consider very good discounts on the Hulk and BLNR.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 26 January 2018, 06:03 AM   #14
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

Feel a bit terrible for you buddy.....bad time to come back/wanting to collect Rolex IMO right now in terms of supply and the premiums. But yeah, with how things are recently he's not saying anything out of line....you got people with threads now on waiting lists for stainless submariners.....it's pretty bad and quite frankly getting embarrassing for the brand.
sensui is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2018, 06:04 AM   #15
JRR
"TRF" Member

Thank you all for the input. For those asking, it IS a PM (all gold) model number 326935. I just searched and saw several of them being sold new on the Forums for substantial discounts. Of course these listings are not from an AD though.
Old 26 January 2018, 06:08 AM   #16
tbonesteak
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thank you all for the input. For those asking, it IS a PM (all gold) model number 326935. I just searched and saw several of them being sold new on the Forums for substantial discounts. Of course these listings are not from an AD though.
He wouldn't negotiate that model number? Jeez, that'll be collecting dust in his display
Old 26 January 2018, 06:11 AM   #17
-Ally-
"TRF" Member

Quote:
You would be doing your friend a greater service by pointing him in the direction of the aforementioned sellers, IMHO.
-Ally- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2018, 06:12 AM   #18
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Everose SkyD 326935 = ~20 to 25% discount i think. Talk to Alikara www.rolexforums.com/member.php?u=138560
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2018, 06:13 AM   #19
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by harvey View Post
Why does he need to discount, when there can be a queue around the block to buy it at full price?
Exactly
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2018, 06:14 AM   #20
alex_moreno111
"TRF" Member

The discount is a courtesy. If he gave you discounts in the past be grateful for it and don't expect a discount on every sale. IMO your AD is being nice enough to let you know ahead. AD's margins are way below grey dealers, not to mention all the overhead that goes into being an AD plus not having inventory to sell. I think people tend to forget those little details. That said, Its a beautiful watch and I hope you are able to acquire it soon!
alex_moreno111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2018, 06:21 AM   #21
tbonesteak
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex_moreno111 View Post
The discount is a courtesy. If he gave you discounts in the past be grateful for it and don't expect a discount on every sale. IMO your AD is being nice enough to let you know ahead. AD's margins are way below grey dealers, not to mention all the overhead that goes into being an AD plus not having inventory to sell. I think people tend to forget those little details. That said, Its a beautiful watch and I hope you are able to acquire it soon!
How is that possible if the AD is getting it from the source?

Also, a discount on a PM to me would be expected or I'd negotiate elsewhere.
Old 26 January 2018, 06:24 AM   #22
JRR
"TRF" Member

Right? This watch retails for $48,850.00, and dealer cost is around $30,287.00.
Old 26 January 2018, 06:26 AM   #23
alex_moreno111
"TRF" Member

Are you aware of the wholesale pricing structure? You'd be extremely surprised that AD's don't make much profit from having Rolex. They use it to bring customers so that they can sell higher profit margin items.... And by doing so Rolex basically controls their business. I've had this conversations over wine many years with AD friends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbonesteak View Post
How is that possible if the AD is getting it from the source?

Also, a discount on a PM to me would be expected or I'd negotiate elsewhere.
Old 26 January 2018, 06:33 AM   #24
tbonesteak
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Are you aware of the wholesale pricing structure? You'd be extremely surprised that AD's don't make much profit from having Rolex. They use it to bring customers so that they can sell higher profit margin items.... And by doing so Rolex basically controls their business. I've had this conversations over wine many years with AD friends.
I’d have to vehemently disagree based on every principle of math and supply chain I’ve ever learned about in my life.
Old 26 January 2018, 06:33 AM   #25
peacocknation
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of 'em!
AD told me yesterday that their TT bluesy had been on back order since beginning of October....still 3 weeks away from receiving...

Many empty positions in the display case...Rolex CEO must be enjoying life. :)
peacocknation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2018, 06:37 AM   #26
alex_moreno111
"TRF" Member

More like 31,700.00 give or take. That's the cost of the item alone, add the remaining associated costs to having that item in the showcase. After its sold deduct all those costs and see what the AD is left with. All I'm saying is that the majority of people have no clue of the hardships of an AD. I didn't either til I developed relationships with AD friends like I mentioned before. Don't get me wrong I love a deal too! but those guys don't have it that easy like we might think.

Quote:
Right? This watch retails for $48,850.00, and dealer cost is around $30,287.00.
Old 26 January 2018, 06:39 AM   #27
gegarrenton
"TRF" Member

I find it odd how many people outright expect a discount.
gegarrenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2018, 06:40 AM   #28
alex_moreno111
"TRF" Member

Disagree all you want my friend. I've seen a Rolex invoice. I speak of what Ive experienced. I thought just like you. It almost broke my heart! lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbonesteak View Post
I’d have to vehemently disagree based on every principle of math and supply chain I’ve ever learned about in my life.
Old 26 January 2018, 06:41 AM   #29
Rrpdc
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtx2 View Post
if you're seeking a ss sky dweller, then he's not full of it. If it's a pm sky dweller, then yes he's full of it.
+1
Rrpdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2018, 06:42 AM   #30
JRR
"TRF" Member

Quote:
More like 31,700.00 give or take. That's the cost of the item alone, add the remaining associated costs to having that item in the showcase. After its sold deduct all those costs and see what the AD is left with. All I'm saying is that the majority of people have no clue of the hardships of an AD. I didn't either til I developed relationships with AD friends like I mentioned before. Don't get me wrong I love a deal too! but those guys don't have it that easy like we might think.
Thank you sir. This item is not stocked or in a showcase. It would simply be ordered directly from Rolex NY, and then shipped. A very simple transaction.