The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 30 March 2020, 04:21 AM   #31
DayTona78
"TRF" Member

very very good points below. pretty obvious what is going on there and why...

goes to show you how important it is to buy new, or from very established and trusted re-sellers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bay-dweller View Post
I think a more interesting question is why are there so many empty Rolex boxes for sale on ebay and who is buying them?

Something about that doesn't sit well with me.

I also don't like seeing empty Pappy Van Winkle bottles for sale. What are people doing with these things?
DayTona78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2020, 04:37 AM   #32
mmaggi
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phooi View Post
Rolexes have been around a LONG time. Things happen over a long course of time. Rolexes weren’t always so expansive or popular.

Why would you keep the papers for something out of warranty and nobody wanted? For example, the Paul Newman Daytonas weren’t popular in its day. Dealers were trying to give them away. So I bet many of them don’t have papers. In fact, I believe the actual Paul Newman didn’t have papers. Would people still buy that watch?

Other things happen — life. People move, pass on and they lose things. Many Rolexes were purchased by military. Some of them probably couldn’t keep their box and papers. Point is there are a myriad of reasons it could happen.

Now, of course, there are those that keep everything and we’re fortunate to have those historical records and it’s value reflects that. Look at that antiques roadshow guy with the Paul Newman. But that rarity reflects why it’s so valuable.

As to recent watches, I think that’s more likely the current frenzy of FOMO and flipping than anything else. If someone offered you a used real DaytonaC for $15k with no papers, most people would take it.
mmaggi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2020, 04:48 AM   #33
Bebot
"TRF" Member

Watch: U macallit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nav01L View Post
ADs have often kept them to prevent flipping on hot models. That explains part of the younger watches...
Not here in the US. Never heard of it. I bought my first rolex in 1986 and I still have the paper certificate. Not a CREDIT CARD type.

--- __0 __0 __0
----_-\<,_ -\<,
_(_)(_)/_(_)/ (_)
Bebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2020, 05:17 AM   #34
mjr24
Banned

I think the whole practice of AD's holding cards is ridiculous. You guys should not be agreeing to let AD's do this.

Also, warranty cards are not useless pieces of scrap just because the warranty is up. Do you throw away your car title once it's out of warranty?
mjr24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2020, 07:02 AM   #35
Wobbly
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wobbly View Post
Things have changed, but last year in the UK, many AD’s kept the warranty card for a year to prevent flippers.

If you didn’t agree, they wouldn’t sell you the watch. Strange, but true.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric-London View Post
In the UK, the warranty cards were released a few months ago. The AD's here are no longer holding them.
Errrm, that’s why I started with “Things have changed”
Wobbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2020, 07:25 AM   #36
Geckobros
"TRF" Member

I wear what I collect and resale value is of little importance to me. I have watches with boxes/papers and ones without. I bought an older piece somewhat recently from a reputable seller at a steep discounted price due to it not having box/papers. Received the watch and sent it off to RSC. RSC is in the process of a full service. Price paid + full RSC service = amazing price for something I plan to wear.

As to why there are so "many"? Probably due to the average Joe buying and wearing, not caring about resale.
Geckobros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2020, 07:39 AM   #37
ADR1982
"TRF" Member

Cant understand why there are newer models without the cards... they are durable and small.. unlike the 5 digit references. It's like saving someone's business card. That being said I really like the papers on older models, they add some character to the entire package

Sent from my SM-M305F using Tapatalk
ADR1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2020, 07:43 AM   #38
42itus
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116519LN
I purchased a DJ for my mom and she immediately threw the box and card away. I was able to retrieve it but she didn’t think it was a big deal. Strangely enough she keeps all the dust bags that come with her handbags. So TEHO I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
42itus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2020, 08:06 AM   #39
Achtung6
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Diver
I'm going to take a wild stab at this one and say that the warranty cards and certs are all located in the same part of the Bermuda Triangle where the spare key to all used cars ends up.
Achtung6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2020, 08:48 AM   #40
newu5er
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogwldFLTR View Post
Certs past the warranty period up until recently were simply scrap paper without any real value. Only in a greed driven collector's reality does a scrap piece of paper hold value.
The whole watch market in general disagrees that the box and papers have no value and it has been that way since I started collecting more than 25 years ago. Collectors, casual wearers and flippers will pay less for a watch that is missing those items.
newu5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2020, 10:21 AM   #41
aaronch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by newu5er View Post
The whole watch market in general disagrees that the box and papers have no value and it has been that way since I started collecting more than 25 years ago. Collectors, casual wearers and flippers will pay less for a watch that is missing those items.

I agree with this, especially in the case of rolexes given how many fakes are out there!

aaronch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2020, 11:05 AM   #42
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluside View Post
The first thing my SO wanted to do when I bought her first Rolex was throw away the box and everything.
That's grounds for divorce! ;-)

My SO knows to keep box/papers.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2020, 11:58 AM   #43
steve099
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116619LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaijin View Post
Perhaps I think that you meant to say Japanese there.

Yes Japanese (Nihonto), apologies if the shortened term I used was offensive.
steve099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2020, 12:04 PM   #44
Onikage
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16628
Some people keep the paperwork out. When it comes time to sell the papers are still out.. somewhere. I know where mine are .. I think.
ROLEXFANBOY P-Club Member #4
Onikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2020, 04:23 PM   #45
Ihatecheese
Banned

It helps to explain that the majority of Rolex owners do not read forums or care about holding in to a receipt years after a purchase. I don't think it is the norm to save receipts for luxury items after the return period, unless you're trying to sell it.

I never used to hold on to that stuff after the warranty expired, until I was enlightened by the online obsession and I thought I might eventually sell something again.
Ihatecheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2020, 04:27 PM   #46
virus
"TRF" Member

I got some of my customers and friends who doesn't even kept the box, and the papers are all inside the boxes. they said its too big and moldy so they threw it away.
virus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2020, 05:30 PM   #47
estrangable
"TRF" Member

i remembered 20 plus years ago when i first got my first pay check doing part time work in uni days... bought my first "proper" watch.. a oris watch that cost me 400 plus usd. The first thing i did when i reached home was to chunk the box and everything. Granted its not a rolex...but it was the most expensive stuff i bought then.
estrangable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2020, 08:39 PM   #48
mikkolopez
"TRF" Member

Am more wary of modern pieces less than 5 year old without papers since people now keep the whole set.

I have even DONE everything,
I just don't REMEMBER everything.
mikkolopez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2020, 09:07 PM   #49
Mac-427
"TRF" Member

I don't collect anymore. When I was a collector I had several models of Rolex, Omega, Breitling and some cheapies. After purchase, all papers and packing materials went back into each watch box and the boxes went into a plastic carton with a snap on lid. I'm not a flipper, but on retirement I sold all my watches except my Ceramic Sub that I wear 24/7. I can't prove it, but I believe my watches sold faster and for more money because I had all the materials, including papers, that they came with.
Mac-427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2020, 09:21 PM   #50
mmaggi
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710
The only papers I have is the 2 year warranty card from the service performed last October. Would be nice to have the original papers but since I'm never selling my 16710 it really doesn't matter to me.
mmaggi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2020, 03:52 AM   #51
Kowaco
"TRF" Member

Watch: G Shock
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronch View Post
Probably been asked a million times before... I see so many rolexs for sale in the second hand market without certs. Is there any reason why this is the case? Most of the explanations seem to be that the owner lost it, but if I bought a 10k+ watch, u betcha life that I would be guarding the cert as much as the watch. And it's not only vintage watches too, I see alot of 1-2 year old watches that are missing certs. Is there something that I'm missing?

Only a few years ago Rolex wasn’t a cult following. If you bought a Rolex a few years ago the box and paper work weren’t really important to the function of the watch, so while many people kept them they would get thrown out during moves, divorces etc It wasn’t something that people valued that much

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Kowaco is offline   Reply With Quote