The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 29 March 2020, 10:29 PM   #1
baradona
"TRF" Member

Demagnetising

Hi

My 116520 Daytona appears to be magnetised - it runs a bit fast, and both moves the needle of a compass (though only a very few degrees), and comes up as magnetised on the Lepsi app.

Given current conditions, I'm not going to be able to get it to a watch shop, so I plan to buy a cheap generic demagnetiser from Amazon.

My question is this. In all of the videos I've watched the watch is demagnetised by placing the watch case-back to the demagnetiser and lifting it away. I don't have a springbar tool, and don't want to remove the bracelet because I am concerned that I will drop a springier and damage the watch case. Is there any reason not to demagnetise the watch dial side down?

Thanks
baradona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2020, 11:46 PM   #2
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by baradona View Post
Hi

My 116520 Daytona appears to be magnetised - it runs a bit fast, and both moves the needle of a compass (though only a very few degrees), and comes up as magnetised on the Lepsi app.

Given current conditions, I'm not going to be able to get it to a watch shop, so I plan to buy a cheap generic demagnetiser from Amazon.

My question is this. In all of the videos I've watched the watch is demagnetised by placing the watch case-back to the demagnetiser and lifting it away. I don't have a springbar tool, and don't want to remove the bracelet because I am concerned that I will drop a springier and damage the watch case. Is there any reason not to demagnetise the watch dial side down?

Thanks
Explain what you mean by a bit fast as its mainly the hairspring that causes most magnetise problems, and seeing that the Daytona uses a hairspring that cannot be magnetised.Now when any watch is magnetised in general they do speed up, but in general not by a few seconds.They could speed up by minutes or more and run very erratic or even stop and refuse to start. Dont forget your own body puts out a magnetic field so if your watch is only running a few seconds fast and running erratic would doubt if its magnetised.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2020, 12:01 AM   #3
baradona
"TRF" Member

Fair comment, and I’m aware of the blue Parachrom hairspring. I’m timing it accurately and will revert, but I think it’s as much as 30 seconds to a minute a day. It had a full Rolex overhaul only a few months ago too.

No question that it moves the needle of a compass though - perhaps that isn’t of concern.
Old 30 March 2020, 01:16 AM   #4
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Magnetizing is the alignment of the electrons, causing a uniform field of flux.

A de-magnitizer simply pushes a stronger magnetic field into this aligned flux and causes it to re-scramble. It doesn't matter where that is coming from, so long as it is sufficiently strong enough to do the job.
Old 30 March 2020, 01:21 AM   #5
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Explain what you mean by a bit fast as its mainly the hairspring that causes most magnetise problems, and seeing that the Daytona uses a hairspring that cannot be magnetised.Now when any watch is magnetised in general they do speed up, but in general not by a few seconds.They could speed up by minutes or more and run very erratic or even stop and refuse to start. Dont forget your own body puts out a magnetic field so if your watch is only running a few seconds fast and running erratic would doubt if its magnetised.
Is it true you can actually upset the fields of a watch if you de-magnetize it when it was not magnetized? I have heard this.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2020, 02:20 AM   #6
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calatrava r View Post
Is it true you can actually upset the fields of a watch if you de-magnetize it when it was not magnetized? I have heard this.
Depends on the type of demagnetiser, but yes one can magnetise a watch with a demagnetiser.
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2020, 02:29 AM   #7
Jocke
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A dozen of Rolex's
Quote:
Originally Posted by SearChart View Post
Depends on the type of demagnetiser, but yes one can magnetise a watch with a demagnetiser.
Correct, if you don't pull the watch off the demagnetizer or releases the button before you pull the watch off it will be magnetized.

What is best a custom Rolex or a Rolex that is stuck in custom?

Buy a professional camera and you´re a professional
photographer, buy a flute and you own a flute.
Jocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2020, 02:55 PM   #8
baradona
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
Magnetizing is the alignment of the electrons, causing a uniform field of flux.

A de-magnitizer simply pushes a stronger magnetic field into this aligned flux and causes it to re-scramble. It doesn't matter where that is coming from, so long as it is sufficiently strong enough to do the job.
That’s what I would have though, thank you.
Old 30 March 2020, 04:28 PM   #9
Ihatecheese
Banned

I have one of these and was optimistically hoping a watch was magnetised as it suddenly was running a bit fast. Unfortunately it wasn't magnetised :( boo.
Ihatecheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2020, 04:31 PM   #10
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
I would not bother.

Based on your description I don't see a problem due to magnetism.

In any event most of the cheap demagnetisers could do more harm than good in the wrong hands.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2020, 09:35 PM   #11
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Quote:
Fair comment, and I’m aware of the blue Parachrom hairspring. I’m timing it accurately and will revert, but I think it’s as much as 30 seconds to a minute a day. It had a full Rolex overhaul only a few months ago too.

No question that it moves the needle of a compass though - perhaps that isn’t of concern.

Yes it happens. Usually for me, running my arm too close to the magnetic strip in the refrigerator door while grabbing the milk. I bough a cheap demagnitizer for like 12 bucks and it gets my 16610 in working order. For what’s its worth, my 16610 runs +2/3 fast each day and closer to +8/10 when magnetized, so it’s not a massive difference as some here have mentioned. But If it was just serviced or recently, your AD can take a look. I had my 16610 serviced and then it started running fast, about 8 months later I brought it in. They looked at it and demagnetized it for me for free. Plus the hairspring on the Daytona should not be an issue, so couldn’t hurt to bring it back in.
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2020, 05:23 PM   #12
baradona
"TRF" Member

So actually the watch isn't running very fast. It does move the compass though. I suppose I'd better live with that!
Old 31 March 2020, 09:30 PM   #13
Panych
"TRF" Member

When demagnetizing, it does not matter how you put the watch on the demagnetizer, dial up or down.
Panych is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2020, 09:53 PM   #14
abrace
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMTII 116710
Quote:
-It had a full Rolex overhaul only a few months ago too.-.
Should have a full 2 year warranty then, send it back as soon as the RSC opens back up and have them fix. 30 seconds a day is not within COSC specs, let alone Rolex superlative chronometer specs...
abrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2020, 01:06 AM   #15
MAINEZX10
"TRF" Member

Sounds like you need to make a trip to RSC
MAINEZX10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2020, 04:01 AM   #16
baradona
"TRF" Member

It would definitely go to Rolex but for the virus. That is why it won’t!
Old 1 April 2020, 04:24 AM   #17
Rado63
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116334
The 116520 would have the 4130 movement which supposedly had the parachrom hairspring since 2000. If that's the case, then the watch shouldn't be effected by magnetism. The 116520 has been around since 2000 so if the watch hasn't been serviced, maybe just time for a service.
Old 1 April 2020, 01:00 PM   #18
robmack
"TRF" Member

Exactly. This ^^^

TT 1973 DJ36 Silver 16013
SS 2019 DJ41 Blue 126334
robmack is offline   Reply With Quote