The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex Reference Library

Old 9 January 2018, 03:32 PM   #331
scotrick
2018 Pledge Member

Watch: 5500,1601,6605
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporkmaker View Post
My dad's 1983 model which was given to me in '97, it's been my daily wearer for the last 20 years and has only just entered semi-retirement. You can tell how much use it's seen by the wear on the top link.
It looks great, wonderful simple dial with the bulletproof caliber 1520 for power!

Puzzled though to see no "Precision' script on the lower portion of the dial, with input from others with multiple 5500's like that I thought we had bracketed the early to mid 60's for that dial variant.

Any possibility that watch could be from the mid 60's?

Cheers,
Rick
scotrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2018, 06:37 PM   #332
Sporkmaker
"TRF" Member

Watch: peripherally
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotrick View Post
Any possibility that watch could be from the mid 60's?
Funny that you say that, my dad had actually told me that he purchased the watch on a trip to Switzerland in 1965 and that's what I told people for many years. When I had it serviced most recently in 2015 the serial number was on the paperwork upon its return and I found a serial number/date table online, possibly on these forums, which I thought said it was made in '83. I assumed that he had made a mistake and confused the watch with a small rose logo Tudor Prince Oysterdate which he also owned. Maybe it was me who made the mistake after all.....or maybe the service center accidentally swapped paperwork with a second Air King belonging to my next door neighbor I sent in at the same time which as far as I could tell was identical in every way except it did have "Precision" on the dial. I have never had the bracelet off to verify the serial number myself.
Sporkmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2018, 10:20 AM   #333
scotrick
2018 Pledge Member

Interesting Spork, would like to know what year it really is!

Cheers,
Rick
Old 15 January 2018, 10:58 AM   #334
Sporkmaker
"TRF" Member

Watch: peripherally
I'm guessing the papers got switched at the SF service center so mine would be the '65 like my father told me and the neighbor's watch is actually the '83. My neighbor has since passed away and his watch went to one of his sons, who in turn gave it to his wife because the size was smaller than he liked. Mine ran like a champ for nearly 20 years between services, it was on my wrist everywhere from 1997 to 2015 before it started losing an excessive amount of time and the power reserve was reduced to about 12 hours. I actually lost it in a swift moving river once and miraculously found it against all odds.
Sporkmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2018, 12:56 AM   #335
scotrick
2018 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporkmaker View Post
I'm guessing the papers got switched at the SF service center so mine would be the '65 like my father told me and the neighbor's watch is actually the '83. My neighbor has since passed away and his watch went to one of his sons, who in turn gave it to his wife because the size was smaller than he liked. Mine ran like a champ for nearly 20 years between services, it was on my wrist everywhere from 1997 to 2015 before it started losing an excessive amount of time and the power reserve was reduced to about 12 hours. I actually lost it in a swift moving river once and miraculously found it against all odds.
That's a great story - amazing that you could find it in a swift moving river! The watch being a '65 works well with other examples shown in these pages without the Precision script.

Cheers,
Rick
Old 13 February 2018, 04:37 PM   #336
iliketime
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570, 16710
so, i read earlier on it was possible to change dials?
iliketime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2018, 02:49 AM   #337
scotrick
2018 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketime View Post
so, i read earlier on it was possible to change dials?
Yes from the late 50's through the 80's the ref. 5500 used a 1520 or 1530 movement and as far as I know the dials would interchange. As discussed above and in different threads, there are subtleties as to which dial nomenclatures associated with each of these movements and different years of production.

Cheers,
Rick
Old 16 March 2018, 07:57 AM   #338
shaspar
"TRF" Member

Beautiful! What do you think about the Oyster Precision?
shaspar is offline   Reply With Quote