The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

Old 27 March 2016, 01:56 AM   #1
swboss
"TRF" Member

Icon8 Rolex Day Date stem pulled loose

I bought a used day date president from a reputable dealer in the Chicago area two weeks ago. Today, I tried to adjust the time, and the crown/stem pulled all the way out of the watch. I pushed it back in the watch but can no longer set the time, day or date. In fact, when I pull the stem out of the watch the second hand keeps moving. The only thing that I still can do is wind the watch. Does anyone know what would cause this?

I will bring it back to the place where I bought it on Monday. They say it is guaranteed for one year.
Thanks in advance for your reply.
swboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2016, 03:01 AM   #2
Aceldama
"TRF" Member

Watch: Dads Omega Cal 601
I'd stop messing with it and demand a replacement. I'd fight for that rather than a repair. It's only been 2 weeks!
Aceldama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2016, 03:27 AM   #3
swboss
"TRF" Member

Any idea what can cause that? Maybe it's an easy fix.
Old 27 March 2016, 04:02 AM   #4
JP Chestnut
Banned

Watch: Rolex Ref 16600
Quote:
Originally Posted by swboss View Post
Crowns are some of the weakest parts of the watch. Some models, simply stay in with what's effectively a set screw. Should be an easy fix, should you choose to go that way.
JP Chestnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2016, 04:03 AM   #5
handsfull
"TRF" Member

Watch: youlookinat?
Hard to say exactly. The stem wasn't locked into place or the mechanism that locks the stem isn't functioning properly. When you reinserted the stem it sounds like you may have broken something internally.....either way....needs to be brought into a watchmaker.
handsfull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2016, 04:05 AM   #6
swboss
"TRF" Member

Thanks for your reply.
Old 27 March 2016, 04:13 AM   #7
michigan.watches
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swboss View Post
It sounds like one or more of the setting parts is damaged, probably the set lever. Until you have it repaired, put the stem back in and keep the crown screwed down. It's a used watch so things like this are going to happen. Many dealers only check to make sure a watch is keeping time before they resell it and don't actually service it. The solution is simply to replace the damaged part(s). When you take it in, I would request they completely overhaul the movement since tiny fragments of metal from the broken part may now be roaming around inside the movement. They probably won't want to do this but it's in your best interest if you can convince them to do so.
michigan.watches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2016, 04:29 AM   #8
swboss
"TRF" Member

It is guaranteed for one year so I'm sure they don't want me to bring it back over and over. Thanks for the very informative reply.
Old 27 March 2016, 10:57 AM   #9
Love
Banned

Wow that sucks! Id go raise hell

Sent from my 5054N using Tapatalk
Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2016, 06:59 PM   #10
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan.watches View Post
It sounds like one or more of the setting parts is damaged, probably the set lever. Until you have it repaired, put the stem back in and keep the crown screwed down. It's a used watch so things like this are going to happen. Many dealers only check to make sure a watch is keeping time before they resell it and don't actually service it. The solution is simply to replace the damaged part(s). When you take it in, I would request they completely overhaul the movement since tiny fragments of metal from the broken part may now be roaming around inside the movement. They probably won't want to do this but it's in your best interest if you can convince them to do so.
Don't think it is broken. The pull-out piece was probably not screwed tight enough which gave the stem enough play to eventually be pulled out. You can't just shove it back in, the pull-out piece needs to be unscrewed a bit further, then lift the knob up and place the stem back in. Screw the thing tight and you're good to go. 5min of work.
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2016, 02:21 AM   #11
michigan.watches
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SearChart View Post
Don't think it is broken. The pull-out piece was probably not screwed tight enough which gave the stem enough play to eventually be pulled out. You can't just shove it back in, the pull-out piece needs to be unscrewed a bit further, then lift the knob up and place the stem back in. Screw the thing tight and you're good to go. 5min of work.
This will only apply if it's an 1950's-1970's 1803 slow-set model. None of the Day-Date models produced since 1977 use a set with lever screw. The 18038 single-quick, 18238 double-quick, and 118238 double-quick all use a button and spring release for the set lever instead of a screw.
michigan.watches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2016, 03:22 AM   #12
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
This will only apply if it's an 1950's-1970's 1803 slow-set model. None of the Day-Date models produced since 1977 use a set with lever screw. The 18038 single-quick, 18238 double-quick, and 118238 double-quick all use a button and spring release for the set lever instead of a screw.
I see. Then there could indeed be something broken. Still an easy fix though.
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2016, 06:54 AM   #13
swboss
"TRF" Member

I am happy to report that the dealer took care of everything, no charge. Now perfect.
Old 14 April 2016, 08:03 AM   #14
datejust24
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolexssss
good...now lets see that beaut!!
datejust24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2016, 08:13 AM   #15
herts9
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
Did he mention what the issue was?
herts9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2016, 12:05 AM   #16
crowncollection
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I would say dislodged yoke