The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 6 December 2019, 03:41 AM   #1
Tony64
"TRF" Member

Expensive watches and boats...

It's been said the 2 happiest days in a yachtsman's life are the day he buys the boat .. and the day he sells it.

Anyone feel the same about an expensive watch? I know I do.

Once I've made the decision to part ways, it always feels like such a relief to package it up and ship it off. Almost as exciting as the day it was purchased.

Tony64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2019, 03:47 AM   #2
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
Nope.

(Horrible analogy by the way)

Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2019, 04:14 AM   #3
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Wow, really?

I'm always kind of sad to see a watch go, but I've never really regretted selling one.
Blansky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2019, 05:27 AM   #4
Dsmith1974
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD 40
Can’t think why letting a watch go would be a joyful occasion. Unless it gave me nothing but trouble coupled with poor customer service.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dsmith1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2019, 06:09 AM   #5
Tony64
"TRF" Member

I guess I'm the outlier then. I don't make the decision to buy or sell lightly, but once I have I'm happy to be moving on and never look back.

The more expensive the purchase, the happier I am when it sells. The thought of having substantial money tied up in something I no longer desire is an experience I do not relish.

Appreciate that many of you fine gentlemen feel differently. Wasn't asking you to understand my position, only asking you to share your own, and happy that you did.

Old 6 December 2019, 07:20 AM   #6
Chewbacca
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony64 View Post
I guess I'm the outlier then. I don't make the decision to buy or sell lightly, but once I have I'm happy to be moving on and never look back.

The more expensive the purchase, the happier I am when it sells. The thought of having substantial money tied up in something I no longer desire is an experience I do not relish.

Appreciate that many of you fine gentlemen feel differently. Wasn't asking you to understand my position, only asking you to share your own, and happy that you did.

Fine gentlemen?

Fwiw, I get what you’re getting at and it’s all about context and acquisition vs operating costs.

It can cost 10% - 15% of the yacht’s market value just to dock, maintain, depreciate, hire a captain, stock the bar, etc... per year— regardless of most usage levels.

The watch, hardly anything and can be sold in under an hour.

The yacht can take years to sell. Less if there’s a divorce in the mix.

Old 6 December 2019, 07:25 AM   #7
SunTzu
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513 116234 79280P
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post
The watch, hardly anything and can be sold in under an hour.

The yacht can take years to sell. Less if there’s a divorce in the mix.
My buddy has been trying forever unloading his yacht and no takers. Price drop after price drop and still nothing. He paid to have all the teak stripped and refinished, all the bright work done. It's become a giant headache with the costs. He has a baby and another one on the way so sailing is not high up on the list of activities.

No comparison to a watch.
Old 6 December 2019, 07:29 AM   #8
Tyler681
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex red sub mk v
The reason they say that about boats is because if you don't use them or keep them in the winding box if you like. They become a very expensive liability.
I don't think that a timepiece could could give the same amount of elation as getting shot of a very expensive liability. Imho
Tyler681 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2019, 07:34 AM   #9
Chewbacca
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler681 View Post
The reason they say that about boats is because if you don't use them or keep them in the winding box if you like. They become a very expensive liability.
I don't think that a timepiece could could give the same amount of elation as getting shot of a very expensive liability. Imho
I don't understand this in the context of the OP analogy or fair question.
Old 6 December 2019, 07:42 AM   #10
crew
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pepsi
I’ve owned and sold a lot of boats through the years. I’d guess more than 20.
I can confirm that it was always a happy day when I sold one. Always.
I’ve never sold a watch but I doubt I’d be happy (read that as relieved) if I did.
crew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2019, 08:07 AM   #11
Tyler681
"TRF" Member

Chewbacca
Sorry I am a newbie and haven't quite worked out yet how to apply your quote to this message.
I was only saying that in my experience because of the cost of owning, insuring, mooring, maintainance etc on boats, that when you are not using them they become a very expensive liability.
Unlike keeping a watch that one doesn't wear in a winder. Therefore, I have been happier selling my boats over the years than I would be selling my watch.
No offence meant.
Old 6 December 2019, 08:10 AM   #12
Chewbacca
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler681 View Post
Chewbacca
Sorry I am a newbie and haven't quite worked out yet how to apply your quote to this message.
I was only saying that in my experience because of the cost of owning, insuring, mooring, maintainance etc on boats, that when you are not using them they become a very expensive liability.
Unlike keeping a watch that one doesn't wear in a winder. Therefore, I have been happier selling my boats over the years than I would be selling my watch.
No offence meant.
Absolutely no offence taken and no apology needed or ever required.

Your opinion is as valid as anyones.

Old 6 December 2019, 08:15 AM   #13
Tyler681
"TRF" Member

Old 6 December 2019, 08:28 AM   #14
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
It's rarely if ever happened to me. If I go back in time to when it did, it liken it more to a divorce... kind of bitter sweet.
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2019, 08:42 AM   #15
Tyler681
"TRF" Member

I also have never sold a watch.
However I did swop a 1960's breitling navitimer 806 with my brother for a 1970's fernandes stratocaster some 15 years ago. The strat I gave to my son and everytime I see my brother with the watch on I get that kinda green feeling.
Old 6 December 2019, 08:44 AM   #16
Knappo 1307
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Sea Dweller
Happens to me every time I buy a Panerai....
Knappo 1307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2019, 09:02 AM   #17
bobernet
"TRF" Member

Watch: ALS, AP, PP, Rolex
I’m happy to sell a boat because it means I went back down from 2 boats to 1 again. Otherwise, I like my watches and my boat and am happy to keep both.
bobernet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2019, 09:43 AM   #18
droptopman
"TRF" Member

Watch: SUBS and GMT's!
Boat yes, watch no. Had many boats over the years. Like lighting money on fire.
Ty: By height.
droptopman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2019, 12:37 PM   #19
goin camping
"TRF" Member

No on the watch. Buying, selling or trading a watch is a heavy decision around this ranch.

Even though I may sell a watch to get another. I am always sad to see them go.

Boats. Worked commercial and will NEVER own a boat. I love going out on yours and I will show up early to help you get it ready and stay after to help you clean. I'll even offer fuel money but own? (Say the following like Samuel L. Jackson in Pulp Fiction.)

"Oh hell no!"
goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2019, 01:14 PM   #20
srvrf
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: PP/AP
I’m not sure I’d use that analogy because they just aren’t very similar. If you buy a watch or boat, they both do typically depreciate. I don’t know of any boats analogous to a steel Patek/Rolex/AP that immediately sell for double MSRP. A watch can effortlessly be worn every day, but there aren’t many instances where a boat can be used every day, especially if it has to be winterized and stored. Maintaining a watch is far cheaper and far easier to store than a boat. All of this is why I have owned multiple watches and no boats.

So I think what the OP is saying is that he doesn’t feel comfortable with the amount of money tied up in watches. That’s why he feels relief when he sells. I’ve got a number in my mind that I don’t want to go over when it comes to my watch collection. I could for awhile, but think I’d sell something just to stay under that number.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
srvrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2019, 01:17 PM   #21
2024 Pledge Member

An old sailor never dies, he just gets a little dinghy.

I could see getting down to one watch. Maybe that's the same?
037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2019, 02:04 PM   #22
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

The backwards way it works like the boat metaphor is when a grey dealer gets a SS Professional Rolex at MSRP (happy day) and then sells it at 2x (happier day).

Outside of that I don’t think the boat comparison fits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2019, 02:35 AM   #23
Tony64
"TRF" Member

It seems that my boat example took on water, but it was intended less as a direct metaphor and more as a common feeling of satisfaction when it finally sells.

To clarify further, and perhaps to better explain my point of reference, I wasn't referring to a stainless Rolex submariner, a Patek 5711, or similar "in demand" watch, nor was I referring to a loved watch that you chose to part with for financial circumstance and/or simply to accommodate another purchase.

I'm speaking of that overpriced watch that at one time you just had to have, and now seems almost an albatross taking up valuable space and resource sitting in the watch box. You know the one I'm talking about. You've gotten over it, probably even regret the purchase, and now you just want to move on.

So you placed it up on the "for sale" section, bumped your listing a dozen times, and no bites - not even from scammers wanting to steal your login identity.

Then it happens. The horology gods smile and your watch sells.

Elation.

So perhaps my boat example wasn't a good one but, having experienced the difficulty in selling both, the feeling was not unfamiliar. Unloading a high six figure watch, especially one not in high demand, can present an enormous challenge in finding the right buyer.

Really was just trying to make small talk with this topic, not suggesting a literal comparison of boats to watches.

I'll abandon ship now but I do appreciate all who took the time to participate.

Old 7 December 2019, 02:48 AM   #24
Randy63
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Icon1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony64 View Post
It seems that my boat example took on water, but it was intended less as a direct metaphor and more as a common feeling of satisfaction when it finally sells.

To clarify further, and perhaps to better explain my point of reference, I wasn't referring to a stainless Rolex submariner, a Patek 5711, or similar "in demand" watch, nor was I referring to a loved watch that you chose to part with for financial circumstance and/or simply to accommodate another purchase.

I'm speaking of that overpriced watch that at one time you just had to have, and now seems almost an albatross taking up valuable space and resource sitting in the watch box. You know the one I'm talking about. You've gotten over it, probably even regret the purchase, and now you just want to move on.

So you placed it up on the "for sale" section, bumped your listing a dozen times, and no bites - not even from scammers wanting to steal your login identity.

Then it happens. The horology gods smile and your watch sells.

Elation.

So perhaps my boat example wasn't a good one but, having experienced the difficulty in selling both, the feeling was not unfamiliar. Unloading a high six figure watch, especially one not in high demand, can present an enormous challenge in finding the right buyer.

Really was just trying to make small talk with this topic, not suggesting a literal comparison of boats to watches.

I'll abandon ship now but I do appreciate all who took the time to participate.

This begs the question. What watch were able to unload that gave you such a sense of relief?

Randy
Randy63 is offline   Reply With Quote