The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 7 December 2019, 05:09 AM   #1
JParm
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes!
Hodinkee and Leica

Anyone else annoyed by Hodinkee's "My Leica" series? Are we to believe that every writer / editor on their team is in possession of one and uses it to the fullest?

I understand that they're partnered with the Leica but in MY personal opinion, it just all feels a bit hokey. I respect Hodinkee and they're one of my favorite watch sites, but that doesn't mean I have to agree and love everything that they do...and this is one of those things where I just go "yuck" every time I see it.
Old 7 December 2019, 07:13 AM   #2
ashbaug2
Banned

Watch: 126710 BLRO
Hating on Hodinkee seems to be a favorite feature on the forum lately. I've done it a little myself.

I didn't know they were partnered with Leica in any way. FWIW, I don't know of many photographers that fully utilize all of their equipment to its full potential. I also think that Hodinkee's photography of watches is some of the best out there.
ashbaug2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2019, 07:22 AM   #3
herts9
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
If Ben and Jack want to go around using one, I don't see the problem. They've probably earned it. But having it shoved down our throats by thinking they're staff-issued is a bit cringe.
herts9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2019, 07:24 AM   #4
Dr. Robert

Watch: 1655
Does John Mayer use a Leica?
Old 7 December 2019, 07:26 AM   #5
Cru Jones

Hodinkee...........
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2019, 07:27 AM   #6
Noonan
Banned

Watch: 3570.50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Robert View Post
Does John Mayer use a Leica?
If he didn't before, I'm sure he does now!
Noonan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2019, 07:38 AM   #7
Laszlo

Watch: Date & No Date
Hodinkee and Leica

I didn’t know this either (I think it’s cool) but I also just traded up for another Leica... and love it. The M10-P is worth the upgrade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Paul Henreid as Victor Laszlo in Casablanca
Laszlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2019, 08:11 AM   #8
ashbaug2
Banned

Watch: 126710 BLRO
Just went on and read the article. James has referenced his affinity for Leica on The Grey NATO podcast since the very beginning. So yeah, it may be a very corny type of "partnership" that Hodinkee is pushing out, you gotta remember three things: Hodinkee definitely reaches for the hoity-toity atmosphere and Leica is in line with that image; a lot of professional photographers use Leica gear; Hodinkee is, at its base, in it to make money and advertising/"paid partnerships" is an easy way for them. I'm much more comfortable with this avenue than with them being Authorized Dealers of certain watch brands...
ashbaug2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2019, 08:12 AM   #9
watchmavan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Polar 16570
Yeah, I'll stick with my iPhone for pics. The watches cost enough without the millions of extras.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
watchmavan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2019, 08:32 AM   #10
J.P.Jones
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbaug2 View Post
a lot of professional photographers use Leica gear
No, just some, but definitely not “a lot”. In the past Leicas were prized by combat photographers for their compactness, ruggedness and good fast lenses. Capa shot them from Spain to Indochina, Larry Burrows used his in Vietnam. Some Street photographers shot with them for the same reasons. SLRs had completely dominated the 35mm format for decades since, and medium format cameras were preferred for studio and landscape work. Leicas are cool, but they are hardly worth the money, unless you really crave one. I got over my craving.
They will not make you a better photographer...no camera will.
J.P.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2019, 08:34 AM   #11
77T

I get the quality of Leica but the point is how the image will be used. The price of a body+lens exceeds that of a new Daytona for images that are mostly seen on a device screen over the Internet.

Not cost effective IMHO.

Now if I was displaying images on a 4K monitor over 60” - or video - then I get it. Even a pro usually prints in sizes below 16x20 where much less is needed due to post processing.

So the Hodinkee linkage appeals to those who are impressed by a brand name without regard to the utility and cost effectiveness of the purchase.

If you need max resolution then pay an extra $2k for the Hasselblad X1D-50c and get 2x resolution.

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2019, 08:37 AM   #12
77T

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.P.Jones View Post
No, just some, but definitely not “a lot”. In the past Leicas were prized by combat photographers for their compactness, ruggedness and good fast lenses. Capa shot them from Spain to Indochina, Larry Burrows used his in Vietnam. Some Street photographers shot with them for the same reasons. SLRs had completely dominated the 35mm format for decades since, and medium format cameras were preferred for studio and landscape work. Leicas are cool, but they are hardly worth the money, unless you really crave one. I got over my craving.

I agree and will add one more Leica differentiator - they were the first to build a pressure plate in a 35mm format that held the film perfectly flat and lenses that were sharp edge to edge across the entire field.

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2019, 08:42 AM   #13
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
a lot of professional photographers use Leica gear
Leica is still more of a casual camera than a professional one. Even if a pro happens to use a Leica, it's because they either have the time (because manual-focus rangefinders aren't quick to use) or don't need auxiliary equipment (strobes, extensive lens choices, etc.). Very few pros use Leica exclusively.

Product photography is much better accomplished (IMO) with other brands such as Hasselblad/Fuji for medium format or Canon/Nikon/Sony for 35mm.
037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2019, 08:53 AM   #14
Laszlo

Quote:
Hmmm, this sounds exactly like Rolex’s story.

Old 7 December 2019, 08:53 AM   #15
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 037 View Post
Leica is still more of a casual camera than a professional one. Even if a pro happens to use a Leica, it's because they either have the time (because manual-focus rangefinders aren't quick to use) or don't need auxiliary equipment (strobes, extensive lens choices, etc.). Very few pros use Leica exclusively.

Product photography is much better accomplished (IMO) with other brands such as Hasselblad/Fuji for medium format or Canon/Nikon/Sony for 35mm.
Agree.

Horses for courses.

Portrait/wedding photographers used Medium Format, Hasselblad and Mamiya mostly.

Landscape photographers used Large Format- 4x5 to 8x10 and up negs.

Product photographers used a lot of 4x5 large format for the swings and tilt.

Don't forget some of the street photographer/photojournalists types used Leica because they were a rangefinder and didn't make any noise when taking pictures. SLR all make a lot of noise with the mirror slap. And also they used them because 35mm were compact to pack around.

And Leica had beautiful SHARP lenses for a 35mm.

This was all about which negative size worked best for the job. After digital came out then all bets were off most people used 35mm except those needing huge files or swings and tilts. But rangefinders were still good if you wanted a quiet camera.
Blansky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2019, 10:08 AM   #16
Jocke

Watch: A dozen of Rolex's
If you look at Hodinkee'e page at Instagram so did it say: Paid collaboration with leicacameraausa.

Just saying.

What is best a custom Rolex or a Rolex that is stuck in custom?

Buy a professional camera and you´re a professional
photographer, buy a flute and you own a flute.
Jocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2019, 10:47 AM   #17
JParm

Watch: Yes!
Quote:
Just went on and read the article. James has referenced his affinity for Leica on The Grey NATO podcast since the very beginning. So yeah, it may be a very corny type of "partnership" that Hodinkee is pushing out, you gotta remember three things: Hodinkee definitely reaches for the hoity-toity atmosphere and Leica is in line with that image; a lot of professional photographers use Leica gear; Hodinkee is, at its base, in it to make money and advertising/"paid partnerships" is an easy way for them. I'm much more comfortable with this avenue than with them being Authorized Dealers of certain watch brands...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jocke View Post
If you look at Hodinkee'e page at Instagram so did it say: Paid collaboration with leicacameraausa.

Just saying.
My issue isn't James Stacey using it or the fact that it's a sponsored post.

My issue is that this isn't a one-off, it's the 3rd in a series and it looks like Stephen Pulvirent is next (all of whom work at Hodinkee).

Now if you go and say hey, Leica gave us these amazing cameras and look what we've done with them, then cool - shill and sell your co-sponsored product. But when they pose it as if these guys have been using it for their entire lives, it just comes off as unbelievable and sappy.

If that is the case, then is being a Leica photographer in a past life a pre-req to work at Hodinkee?? Again, I generally love their content, but this is one that I just smirk at.
Old 7 December 2019, 11:25 AM   #18
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blansky View Post
Portrait/wedding photographers used Medium Format, Hasselblad and Mamiya mostly.
And Leica had beautiful SHARP lenses for a 35mm.
But rangefinders were still good if you wanted a quiet camera.
Very true, and I forgot about Mamiya.

Leica lenses are outstanding. But, they're limiting for professional use. It's funny that they're being promoted by Hodinkee as such. Casual use, sure.

Very quiet. Quiet enough to sneak up on a watch while it's sleeping and take its picture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeezy14@hotmail.com View Post
If that is the case, then is being a Leica photographer in a past life a pre-req to work at Hodinkee?? Again, I generally love their content, but this is one that I just smirk at.
I miss when photography was about the actual photograph and not about the gear used. Before digital cameras, people asked about the photo and credited the photographer. After digital cameras, people ask about the camera thinking the equipment was responsible for the photo. It's bizarre.

I personally don't follow Hodinkee as it's far too commercial for my tastes. Shilling for Leica and other brands reinforces why.
037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2019, 11:33 AM   #19
watchmavan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Polar 16570
Quote:

Much the same argument for Rolex, but still people come.

watchmavan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2019, 11:42 AM   #20
Laszlo

Well, you guys can make your own assessment on Leica, it’s still the finest street camera on the market. It hasn’t made me a better photographer, it’s a tool for better photography.

Old 7 December 2019, 02:00 PM   #21
J.P.Jones
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laszlo View Post
Well, you guys can make your own assessment on Leica, it’s still the finest street camera on the market.
Actually, Ricoh GR is.
Old 7 December 2019, 02:09 PM   #22
mfm22
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer 1
I'll bet my Minolta SRT 101 still work pretty good.
mfm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2019, 02:14 PM   #23
Laszlo

Quote:
Actually, Ricoh GR is.
Dude I’ve been doing this for over 25-years. You have zero clue what you’re talking about. Stop embarrassing yourself.

Old 7 December 2019, 02:31 PM   #24
J.P.Jones
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Dude I’ve been doing this for over 25-years. You have zero clue what you’re talking about. Stop embarrassing yourself.
Ok. What have you been doing for 25 years?
Old 7 December 2019, 02:42 PM   #25
Laszlo

Quote:
Ok. What have you been doing for 25 years?
Not dealing with people like you.

Old 7 December 2019, 02:54 PM   #26
iLLGT2
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP ROO Blue Scuba
If the OP was sponsored by Rolex I'm sure he wouldn't wear proudly, praise and shout Rolex out am I right?

Hodinkee has been like this for years now, time to move along.
iLLGT2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2019, 03:25 PM   #27
J.P.Jones
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfm22 View Post
I'll bet my Minolta SRT 101 still work pretty good.
I'm sure it's excellent. What kind of lens did you use the most? I looked it up, it came either with a 55 or 58 mm.
I'm only asking because not too long ago I bought a 1980s Pentax sir with an oem 50mm f/1.7 lens in a yard sale, for about $7. The lens fits perfectly on the contemporary Pentax K70 digital slr. It's manual, of course.
Old 7 December 2019, 03:43 PM   #28
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
Quote:
Well, you guys can make your own assessment on Leica, it’s still the finest street camera on the market. It hasn’t made me a better photographer, it’s a tool for better photography.

Beautiful pix.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2019, 03:52 PM   #29
Laszlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post
Beautiful pix.
Thanks, Chewy.

Old 7 December 2019, 05:25 PM   #30
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

OK B&W pics, why did you blow out the whites and remove black detail? Looks like someone got far too aggressive with contrast. If you do some adjustment of the levels within the RAW file...

Leica had their analog glory, yet digital is not their forte imho with many others doing very well within that space. We must remember Hodinkee is a business, so partnering commercially benefits both companies. Still won't influence me to buy a Leica digital photography product, yet understand the whole 'who cares about price' it's a Leica thing.

Plus, really, how deep is Leica's glass selection nowadays? How does that compare to what other brands have in native glass quality and selection?
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote