The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 19 May 2019, 04:09 AM   #151
dardeca
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, Patek
He wanted the DD, got 20% off on that plus a Daytona at retail. That's a good deal.
dardeca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2019, 04:16 AM   #152
Danny83
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yellow Gold
Congrats !!!!! X3

Well X2 lol
Danny83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2019, 04:21 AM   #153
shaunylw
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jundi3391 View Post
Got the DD for 20% off. Came out to 30k. Easily justified with that Daytona being so high above retail. The 10k profit on it and the 2k profit on the CHNR made the decision easier. Only way I was getting that Daytona without waiting. Walked in the ad and I made him an offer he couldn’t refuse. He had several clients for the Daytona and I needed to put a little pressure on him and I’m hoping to get other sought after pieces. Perhaps it was an investment.

That’s actually pretty fair given the market right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
shaunylw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2019, 04:22 AM   #154
TheRolexKingofLV
"TRF" Member

So the AD made you buy 2 extra watches? Wow you must have wanted that Daytona bad!?
Old 19 May 2019, 04:23 AM   #155
shaunylw
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Keep in mind. This AD now has me first for BLNR and BLRO. It was more of a relationship with my AD. Paying 23-24k for a Daytona is too much. I believe it’s at its peak and will go slightly down years to come.

I agree, it’s at the peak. However, i don’t see the Daytona ever being a watch you are going to pay near retail for. I think if you wanted the Daytona and the DD, it was a super deal. Given that you can get rid of the CHNR very easily.

shaunylw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2019, 04:28 AM   #156
eleven11prints
"TRF" Member

Watch: Last:ALS Datograph
Quote:
Got the DD for 20% off. Came out to 30k. Easily justified with that Daytona being so high above retail. The 10k profit on it and the 2k profit on the CHNR made the decision easier. Only way I was getting that Daytona without waiting. Walked in the ad and I made him an offer he couldn’t refuse. He had several clients for the Daytona and I needed to put a little pressure on him and I’m hoping to get other sought after pieces. Perhaps it was an investment.
Meanwhile I wait for a daytona that has zero “profit” in it for me...
eleven11prints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2019, 04:40 AM   #157
Duey
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Too Many To List
Well you've got the TT up for sale now so just put the Daytona up too and you just got your DD for a song ..... Good Job
Duey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2019, 04:45 AM   #158
marcusp23
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, CHNR an
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoge View Post
haha I'm on the waitlist for that Daytona. Have been for a year LOL

Ouch
marcusp23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2019, 04:51 AM   #159
marcusp23
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, CHNR an
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waxtactic View Post
Talk about mixed emotions here. And OP, please note I am not ragging on you at all, you had a good opportunity & you took it.

SO on one hand I'm stoked for Jundi, on the other hand I'm in complete despair that an AD:

1) Forced the bundle

2) Did not give others a chance to purchase the Root Beer

3) That yet another piece is hitting the grey market (and not by the design of OP)

4) That OP had to buy others to get the watch he originally set out to get

OP wins, AD Rep hits his commission, the rest of you in OH who had hoped to snag something fun are now SOL.

It is sheer madness.

This is a great post and analysis. I feel the same. No issue with the OP for exploiting the system, but I have a big issue with the AD for playing these games.

But I’m also convinced that there are many who are more than happy to play these games. So those of us who have no interest, will not be buying from ADs until things are fixed.

And ultimately, I blame Rolex for this. It is their product, these are their ADs, and they have encouraged this type of AD behavior.
marcusp23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2019, 04:52 AM   #160
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I’m in Cleveland and the AD here don’t really have any watches and when they are in the safe they are usually sold waiting to be picked up. I called the AD and they laughed and said no Daytona’s. I walked in anyways and the salesman said we have one and it’s going to high end client. I told them what I’d buy to bundle the Daytona. They called the client and he don’t pick up the phone. So they moved on and did the deal with me. The AD probably gets 2-4 Daytona’s a year.
Actually I was quite surprised that the AD took that deal....it really isn't enough spend to part with the SS Daytona...until i saw you are in Cleveland and it makes sense. That would never happen in NYC, Miami, LV...would actually be a joke offer there...

Good work.
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2019, 05:01 AM   #161
shapiroeric
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaunylw View Post
That’s actually pretty fair given the market right now.

The words “right now” are key. This whole thing reminds me of Porsche and Ferrari dealers “bundling” other cars to get something everyone wants. It makes sense at the time but in the end you’re better off paying a premium on the one you want and skipping the other stuff....The “line” is always evolving and changing. It’s always what have you done for me lately....

shapiroeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2019, 05:35 AM   #162
Jundi3391
Banned

Ya I wanted the Daytona bad! I couldn’t see my self paying 23-24k for it on grey. So this is the only way it makes sense. I have the CHNR up If anyone is interested. I’m have a lot of offers. I could see letting it go for 16750 firm shipped conus overnight if anybody wants it.
Jundi3391 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2019, 05:41 AM   #163
the_natural
"TRF" Member

Rolex is the new Bitcoin.
the_natural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2019, 05:54 AM   #164
jb335
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Cosmograph Daytona
You did well. I’m surprised the AD didn’t make you take a few dogs. The DD is a bit less mainstream, but that CHNR is hot.

Surprised there isn’t a Ladies DJ in here.
jb335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2019, 05:56 AM   #165
jb335
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Cosmograph Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaunylw View Post
I agree, it’s at the peak. However, i don’t see the Daytona ever being a watch you are going to pay near retail for. I think if you wanted the Daytona and the DD, it was a super deal. Given that you can get rid of the CHNR very easily.

Exactly. This is a good deal for OP.

Anyone that thinks otherwise is just bitter they didn’t have this opportunity...or they keep failing to realize he wants the DD too.

jb335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2019, 05:57 AM   #166
Doood
"TRF" Member

Well done OP. Cleveland rocks!
Doood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2019, 05:59 AM   #167
glamorama
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I paid retail for a Daytona and CHNR
and got 20% on the DD40.

Was it a good deal or bad deal?
Opinions?

Of course very good deal compared to market price
glamorama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2019, 06:04 AM   #168
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cesium137 View Post
You wont make 2k on the chnr. You don’t have the “retail price” reputation.
So true. Its takes a lot of sales to obtain the prices the big players get for resells. Plus, people don't mind getting hosed by a big dealer but they resent it from a private individual. Weird how that works.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2019, 06:13 AM   #169
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
I agree the prices on the Daytona have probably maxed out in the mid twenties. They barely trickle out to ADs and this is the price point. ADs simply cannot sell what they do not have. Since people cannot get them at retail from an AD interest will start to wane, if it hasn't already. You can push a good shortage only so far and eventually it will put the fire out.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2019, 06:23 AM   #170
APPRF
"TRF" Member

Good deal, congrats. Sell DD and keep the CHNR. When you get the BLNR sell it cos the CHNR is better looking in my opinion. If you prefer to keep the BLNR then sell the CHNR cos it will hold its value for sure. Or keep them all and sell the BLNR or BLRO when you get them.
APPRF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2019, 06:26 AM   #171
richard371
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN White
I’m hoping my AD will call me and tell me I need to buy the new Pepsi and Batman to get a black ceramic Daytona haha.
richard371 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2019, 06:54 AM   #172
MariettaMike
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II BLRO
It's a good deal if you are satisfied with the deal. You have three beautiful watches to enjoy or trade/sale. Enjoy wearing these beauties.
MariettaMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2019, 07:00 AM   #173
Timesensitive
"TRF" Member

Watch: WG DD40 Blue Dial
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjin View Post
So much negativity here but if you stand back and look at the figures in black and white, whichever way the OP is on a win win.

As the OP stated, he ACTUALLY wanted a DD and DayC. So all he has to do is sell the CHNR.

If I had been offered this deal, I would of bitten the AD's hand off!

20% discount on a PM with 1 Super Hot and 1 Hot item is a very good deal indeed.

WELL DONE!
This exactly.... Buying completely unwanted pieces would have been different. This sounds like a good deal all around. Nice job.
Timesensitive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2019, 07:42 PM   #174
SamP
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1680/8 & '88 16528
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pay M3 View Post
This! I think about 99% of the people on this forum should have the ability to do the same but why in the world would you.
You think wrong.
You can, he can, I can, many can - but 99% is pushing it.
Why in the world would you post this response?
Regards
SamP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2019, 08:07 PM   #175
desertwanderer
"TRF" Member

Congratulations! beautiful set of watches. I would keep all 3!
desertwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2019, 08:14 PM   #176
BumbleB
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing you
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertwanderer View Post
Congratulations! beautiful set of watches. I would keep all 3!

Agree. If you got all these 3 at AD list price (and 20% off the DD), and you obviously can afford it, why not keep all 3?

♛ Milgauss 116400GV ♛ Deepsea D-Blue 116660 ♛ Submariner 114060 ♛ Submariner 116613LN ♛ Exp. II black 216570 ♛ Exp. II white 226570 ♛ Sky Dweller white 326933 ♛ Sky Dweller Blue 326934 ♛ GMT II 116710 black ♛ GMT II 126710BLRO ♛ GMT II 126711CHNR ♛ GMT II 126710BLNR ♛ Daytona 116509 ♛ DD40 228238 H HUBLOT BIG BANG e ceramic C CHANEL J12 3125 AP 3120 MVT
BumbleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2019, 08:14 PM   #177
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by dardeca View Post
He wanted the DD, got 20% off on that plus a Daytona at retail. That's a good deal.
Agree, good deal if he wants the DD40, if not then selling 2 watches to get a SS is too mercenary and too much hassle.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2019, 02:06 AM   #178
Ruddiger
2024 ROLEX DATE-JUST41 Pledge Member

Howdy,

While I suspect I'll get flamed for this, I nonetheless felt compelled to offer my opinion. Certainly your mileage will vary so take this as you wish as we all know what opinions are like, mine included. Please also note that I am not trying to pick a fight with the OP as that's not what makes this forum the wonderful place that it is.

While I totally get the whole "don't hate the player, hate the game" argument that defines the current bubble and the desire to flip for profit, and while I fully recognize that it's a free country and we all can do whatever we wish with the watches we buy, I do have a problem with this sale. Note, however, that my problem is with the AD.

First, shame on Sheiban's. There are reputable ADs in the Cleveland area. Clearly they are NOT one of them. Any dealer that has a watch on hold for another customer, regardless of their high roller status, should honor that commitment.

Reneging on a deal because someone doesn't answer the phone is bush-league plain and simple. As is having a wait list you're happy to disregard when it suits you. Clearly their word means nothing and I hope all of their customers who read this remember that as they have other options in the area.

Secondly, there was ZERO reason to sell two very hot watches that sell themselves at full retail, in order to move a PM watch that they could have sold at a discount regardless, particularly a model that may move slower like a PM DD40. This isn't like bundling a slow selling Yacht Master and a Datejust as a condition of allowing a customer to buy a new Daytona. Note, that too would be unethical, but at least there would be some financial logic behind.

They could have done that discounted deal on the PM model anytime without screwing over existing customers. Nor was there any rush to sell two hot models that they likely get calls for every day. This isn't the case of an AD selling Rolex to greys out the back door. This is an AD selling them out the front door, likely knowing full well what was inevitably going to happen.

Third, for ever person who pats the OP on the back for taking the deal (which arguable isn't that great a deal since he paid full retail for two hot watches that couldn't be sold above retail and got a discount on a slow selling model), please remember threads like this the next time you go into your AD and can't buy the watch you want. This is exactly why things like that happen.

Clearly, the AD had to know this was more than likely a flipping situation, even if it's only one watch that gets flipped. Obviously, they didn't care. Nor did they care about breaking a commitment to the customer the Daytona was on hold for, or for the people on the wait list, all of which were lied to in the interests of a quick and easily had sale.

One can only hope that their Rolex rep, in an environment where AD's are losing the brand for reasons less outrageous than these shady antics, notices this type of behavior by their so called AD. I can only hope their loyal customers do as well as clearly that loyalty is a one way street. On that note kudos to the OP for identifying them by name, although I suspect the AD is less than enthused to have the truth be know in such a public fashion (karma is indeed real).

Finally, to the OP, I wouldn't pat yourself too hard on the back for getting to the front of the line on a BLNR or a BLRO, with a dealer that is all too willing to screw over another high roller who had the misfortune of not answering their phone at an inopportune time. It's like someone bragging about the chastity of their new girlfriend who they happened to seduce while she was working at the strip club.....good luck with that.

Again, it's a free country and people are free to do what they wish. Flipping a watch (or two, or three) for a profit certainly is not a crime. Nor is it a crime for an AD to sell whatever they want to whoever they want. But I don't see it as something that we should celebrate as a great deal, particularly when its this type of speculative euphoria that has made the market, and so many of the recent speculative forum posts, our new unpleasant reality.

Take care and flame away,

Ruddiger
Ruddiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2019, 02:38 AM   #179
Indepth
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruddiger View Post
First, shame on Sheiban's. There are reputable ADs in the Cleveland area. Clearly they are NOT one of them. Any dealer that has a watch on hold for another customer, regardless of their high roller status, should honor that commitment.

Ruddiger

I see you’re a fellow local. What other CLE ADs do you recommend in the area? I’ve only ever dealt with the AD in question here.
Indepth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2019, 02:45 AM   #180
Ruddiger
2024 ROLEX DATE-JUST41 Pledge Member

Howdy,

I'd rather not say publicly as I don't want my previous comments to be misconstrued as trying to promote one AD at the expense of the other.

Take care,

Ruddiger
Ruddiger is offline   Reply With Quote