The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 20 May 2019, 12:06 AM   #151
timepieceluvr
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moggo View Post
So what is this mystical clever approach you speak of? Spend s**tloads on stuff you don’t want?

Please enlighten us less clever ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://www.thenational.ae/business/...smart-1.210612

timepieceluvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2019, 12:17 AM   #152
SlideRacker
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by timepieceluvr View Post
Translation: Do the AD a big personal favor ala Bobby Axelrod from “Billions”.

The bigger question is how far do you really want to go for a watch? Is it worth becoming a professional Power Broker and losing your moral compass?
SlideRacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2019, 12:34 AM   #153
timepieceluvr
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlideRacker View Post
Translation: Do the AD a big personal favor ala Bobby Axelrod from “Billions”.

The bigger question is how far do you really want to go for a watch? Is it worth becoming a professional Power Broker and losing your moral compass?

Really? Moral compass? Let me see if I can help.

Translation:

Be likable
Get to know and understand people
Make friends not acquaintances
Make connections across multiple industries
Be useful don’t be a user
Be generous with your time
Help people

Old 20 May 2019, 12:45 AM   #154
SlideRacker
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Really? Moral compass? Let me see if I can help.

Translation:

Be likable
Get to know and understand people
Make friends not acquaintances
Make connections across multiple industries
Be useful don’t be a user
Be generous with your time
Help people

Please be more specific and give a concrete example of how being a people person landed you a SS.
Old 20 May 2019, 01:00 AM   #155
timepieceluvr
"TRF" Member

Why the AD hate?

Quote:
Please be more specific and give a concrete example of how being a people person landed you a SS.

Sure.

I know a local restaurant owner very well. He opened another restaurant in the market that was impossible to get a reservation at. A friend of mine who owns a local construction company wanted to take his wife there to celebrate their 25th wedding anniversary in 2015. I got them in and my friend treated them like royalty.

My friend who was celebrating his anniversary owns the construction was building a new home for the watch manager at the local Rolex/Patek retailer. I did not know this gentleman. We all met for breakfast one Saturday. The watch managers best buddy who joined us for breakfast as well loves to golf. I know the PGA professional at a local club he always wanted to play but didn’t have a connection at. He had a tee time the following weekend.

The manager at the Rolex/Patek store and I became friendly and I started becoming more interested in watches.

My interest has turned into a passion. My friend has been helpful in getting me a couple very desirable hard to get pieces and I have sent him several very good clients who also did business with him.

No bribery, nobody did anything underhanded.

Connections, friendships and carefully helping people has been very impactful to my life. I could tell dozens of stories like this one. I enjoy helping others. I’ve found that in life if you help enough other people get what they want - You will always get what you do.

Old 20 May 2019, 01:07 AM   #156
SlideRacker
"TRF" Member

OK. Maybe I went a little too far with the moral compass thing but I was not far off with my interpretation of the article you referenced. This is power brokering and if you happen to know the right people in the right places it can work out well. They do you favors and you do them favors. For me it’s just a whole lot easier to pony up a few more grand and get what I want without fanfare. But it’s good to hear success stories.
Old 20 May 2019, 01:13 AM   #157
timepieceluvr
"TRF" Member

Quote:
OK. Maybe I went a little too far with the moral compass thing but I was not far off with my interpretation of the article you referenced. This is power brokering and if you happen to know the right people in the right places it can work out well. They do you favors and you do them favors.

I guess you can call it whatever you like. I think it’s being clever. Knowing the right people doesn’t happen by accident. You have to have a sincere interest in people and being helpful. Anyone can do it.

Old 20 May 2019, 01:20 AM   #158
Moggo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610, SD4K, Exp 1
Why the AD hate?

Quote:
I guess you can call it whatever you like. I think it’s being clever. Knowing the right people doesn’t happen by accident. You have to have a sincere interest in people and being helpful. Anyone can do it.

What if the people you need to know are A**holes?

It’s all back scratching, maybe I should join the Masons

I pick my friends on their value as a human not on what they may be able to offer, maybe I’m not so ‘clever’ but that’s cool with me.

Moggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2019, 01:27 AM   #159
SlideRacker
"TRF" Member

Quote:

There’s another guy in here who I think pulled off something similar. He didn’t go into the level of detail you just did and I had to read between the lines. But I do believe favors were exchanged back and forth. I was recently the beneficiary of favorable connections too and it landed me the watch that’s in my profile you see. But that situation was one time only and not repeatable.
Old 20 May 2019, 01:34 AM   #160
timepieceluvr
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moggo View Post
What if the people you need to know are A**holes?

It’s all back scratching, maybe I should join the Masons

I pick my friends on their value as a human not on what they may be able to offer, maybe I’m not so ‘clever’ but that’s cool with me.

That’s interesting.

I don’t run into any issues like you’re describing. I think everyone has value as a human and I base things on what I can offer others not what they have to offer me.

Old 20 May 2019, 01:35 AM   #161
SlideRacker
"TRF" Member

Duplicate post deleted
Old 20 May 2019, 01:42 AM   #162
Moggo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610, SD4K, Exp 1
Quote:
That’s interesting.

I don’t run into any issues like you’re describing. I think everyone has value as a human and I base things on what I can offer others not what they have to offer me.

You move in different circles to me I guess, lovely watches by the way

Moggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2019, 02:25 AM   #163
TimingIsEverything
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PossumDixon View Post
Let's not BS here, the AD's feed the grey market. So, to say they are there to save us from the grey market is insane. Every grey dealer I have spoken to gets their watches from AD's.

Call me crazy, but a dealer's job is to buy inventory at cost plus from the manufacturer and sell it with a markup that is agreed upon by the manufacturer and his dealer. That's the gig. It's not to then buy said items, and then manipulate the market to make more from the sale. If greys want to come in and buy all the inventory, so be it. Let them. It's really not the AD's concern. They aren't the moral police. They are a seller of Rolex watches. They get their markup, and they sell the watches. They shouldn't care one bit who buys them.

They aren't holding them back from the grey market, they are holding legitimate customers hostage, to pay way more in a backwards way. Rolex won't let you charge over MSRP, so you get way more by using these deceptive practices.

As a customer for a Rolex watch, if I walk in and there are no watches, I'm out of luck. I can live with that. If a grey dealer bought them all, oh well, he beat me to it. I will try again later, if it is that important to me. If I want to buy from a grey, I can but I don't have to. But, don't give me the nonsense that I can't buy a watch that is in inventory because:

1) I won't bundle it with a piece of jewelry, I don't want
2) I won't bundle it with other watches, I don't want
3) I won't buy a PM watch, I don't want

To do that stuff, is manipulating the gain, you have already agreed to make with the manufacturer. If you don't like the Rolex margins, sell another brand. Quite frankly, I can't believe Rolex let's AD's pull this nonsense. It is bad for Rolex's business in my opinion.
Well said, and I agree.
TimingIsEverything is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2019, 02:32 AM   #164
18●20●22●▼●2●4●6
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513
Icon4

Excellent read for a life-long lesson. That link is the best part about this thread on endless debate. Thank you for sharing...

Quote:
18●20●22●▼●2●4●6 is offline   Reply With Quote