The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 25 January 2019, 02:49 PM   #1
lencap
"TRF" Member

Grand Seiko SBGR261G

Greetings -

Being a Grand Seiko fan is a challenge, especially trying to figure out their naming convention. How does SBGR261G help explain a watch? Compared to the Rolex simplicity - DateJust, Day Date, etc. - figuring out a Grand Seiko is a full time job.

Add to that the decision to switch the name of the watch itself and the dial to Grand Seiko from Seiko followed by Grand Seiko makes it even more difficult to follow the line from a historical perspective. Finally, the lack of effective distribution and marketing for the Grand Seiko line until recently adds to the confusion as well. With all of that out of the way, the watch itself is well worth the effort.

The SBGR261G is a "classic" style watch - cream colored dial with wonderfully reflective stick markers for the hours, double indexed at 6, 9 and 12 o'clock, with a date at the 3 marker surrounded by an impeccably framed box that adds to the simplicity and beauty of the dial. The second hand is a full sweeper, blue tinted and adding a fine contrast to the cream dial. The elegant crocodile band is padded with a three fold clasp and push button release. There are many far better descriptions of this watch on the Internet with more detail, and the Grand Seiko site has further information (look at the 2017 models for details).

So why this review? It came about as I was looking for a "dressier" Rolex to change up the look of my DateJust. As I looked into the Rolex choices there wasn't anything like the Grand Seiko.

I find the Grand Seiko requires work to appreciate. At first glance, and even a second, it can appear "bland", nothing special grabs your attention. And then you look more closely and notice the refinement. The dial is simple, precise and polished to a level that needs to be seen to be appreciated. It catches any light and sends it across the dial in unique interesting patterns. The reflections interact with the dial, the hands, the case and the show continues to draw you into it. And then you notice the subtle blue second hand which appears blue, black and many other hues depending on light and location on the dial. There is little lettering on the dial to distract your eye - just enough to get the message across, and nothing else.

The reverse side display is simple and direct. The finishing is fine, but not up the standard of the true "high end" Swiss brands. And that's fine. The Grand Seiko has a fine look and finish, but doesn't strive to detract from the overall "Zen" of the watch by emphasizing one area over another. That's the beauty of the Grand Seiko - balance. Nothing shouts at you, it becomes a harmonious whole. Yet, like the proverbial onion, you can keep looking deeper and deeper and be rewarded by what you find. Call it a relaxing meditation into time. The pure mechanical nature of the watch adds to that feeling. Winding the 70 hour reserve mainspring is a tactile delight. It's not unlike using a classic Leica film camera.

So, if you're looking for a different take on a classic looking timepiece, one filled with subtly and surprises, that takes you into a quiet place where the objective is to enjoy the experience of time as well as the beauty of time, this may be a watch for you.
lencap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2019, 02:23 PM   #2
jag32
Banned

Watch: PP/AP/BP/UN
Photos?
jag32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2019, 09:00 PM   #3
gnuyork
"TRF" Member

Ha ha I totally had to google that reference just to see what watch you are describing here...so I get your point...the watch - looks fantastic! I'd wear it... I do wish that Grand Seiko were a few mm smaller in diameter in general. Most of the dressy watches seem to be about 40mm or so. For me 37-38mm would be ideal.
gnuyork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2019, 01:18 AM   #4
Jostack
"TRF" Member

I would love it if GS would innovate their bracelets. They aren’t bad, but fall short of the level of the watch itself. I find the oyster bracelet on my DJ41 noticeably more comfortable than the two GS bracelets I own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jostack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2019, 02:01 AM   #5
mgsooner
"TRF" Member

Great looking watch. In general, these are the things IMO GS needs to improve on:

-As mentioned above, more dress pieces at or under 39mm.

-Many of their watches are simply too thick. The reference OP started the thread for is a dressy 39.5 mm watch yet is 13 mm thick. That's thicker than my Explorer. Watches like this should at the least be under 12 mm thick.

-More of their references should have lume. I get leaving it off their dressier references, but almost none of their references have lume except for a small number of sports models. They've got a number of GMTs that I really like, but they immediately get disqualified because they don't have lume.

-Better bracelets. It's time.
mgsooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2019, 02:25 AM   #6
joli160
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
GS indices don't need lume, they shine like no other brand
Old 7 August 2019, 11:08 AM   #7
Zman15
Banned

Absolutely beautiful!!
Zman15 is offline   Reply With Quote