The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 17 February 2011, 05:52 AM   #1
rolexertion

Stolen Rolex

Recently bought a Rolex from a 99.9%+ retailer on the 'bay. Took it to RSC right away for a full service and I'm sure glad I did. It was in their database as as a stolen item. I guess it's on its way home by now. Contacted the seller right away wanting a full refund, so far he's playing the 'need more information' game. What part of 'it's a stolen watch' do not yet get? I think he doesn't want this to blow up into something bigger than it already is.
rolexertion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2011, 05:59 AM   #2
snowbird
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea-Dweller 16600
That's too bad and hope you get your money back soon.

Unfortunately this is always a possibility with a used watch, even the most honest and reputable sellers may not know the full history of a watch.
snowbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2011, 06:02 AM   #3
conrail
"TRF" Member

Wow no way! That database they have sure comes in handy then! I'm sure between ebay, paypal, or your credit card company, you'll be able to work it out.
Old 17 February 2011, 06:03 AM   #4
TimeToGo
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Will you give out the retailer's name?
TimeToGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2011, 06:03 AM   #5
ocwatching
"TRF" Member

first I have heard of the Rolex database at work..
please keep us updated on your resolution with the seller..
if you paid via paypal, it should be an open/shut case.
Thanks!
Old 17 February 2011, 06:06 AM   #6
bewithabob
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona Meteorite
sad indeed, and I hope you get your money back as a happy ending. hopefully the person from whom it was stolen will be happy in the end as well.

116509 Daytona Meteorite, 116520 Daytona Black, 116710 GMTIIC, 16013 DATEJUST,
CARTIER SANTOS 100 W20090X8, IWC Big Pilot, IWC Top Gun

"Everything works out in the end. If it hasn't worked out, it's not the end."
bewithabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2011, 06:13 AM   #7
rolexertion

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeToGo View Post
Will you give out the retailer's name?
If there is full and immediate cooperation, I'm hoping I won't have to. If not, anything is possible. For 24 hours, (not 25, not even 24.5), I will give the benefit of the doubt.

The retailer has already tried telling me he will have to try to get the money back from the people he bought it from. I have told him that's his problem, not mine, and I don't need to hear about it. Just give me back my money.
Old 17 February 2011, 06:18 AM   #8
bewithabob
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona Meteorite
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolexertion View Post
If there is full and immediate cooperation, I'm hoping I won't have to. If not, anything is possible. For 24 hours, (not 25, not even 24.5), I will give the benefit of the doubt.

The retailer has already tried telling me he will have to try to get the money back from the people he bought it from. I have told him that's his problem, not mine, and I don't need to hear about it. Just give me back my money.
I hope you will tell of the retailers name, whether or not they give you full cooperation. I hope you agree that any retailer that knowingly or unknowingly sells stolen merchandise should be exposed. I also wholeheartedly agree with you that it matters not whether the retailer gets his money back from the offending party, only that he agrees to give you the full refund that you deserve.

116509 Daytona Meteorite, 116520 Daytona Black, 116710 GMTIIC, 16013 DATEJUST,
CARTIER SANTOS 100 W20090X8, IWC Big Pilot, IWC Top Gun

"Everything works out in the end. If it hasn't worked out, it's not the end."
bewithabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2011, 06:19 AM   #9
Dr.B
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS White Daytona
I smell something rotten....
I hope you get your money back.
Old 17 February 2011, 06:21 AM   #10
cgjane
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116509 BlackArabic
At least get a document from RSC to back you up with your CC or Paypal.
Old 17 February 2011, 06:22 AM   #11
karmatp
"TRF" Member

That is always a possibility when buying a second hand watch. People always say buy the seller, but even solid sellers may get their hands on a watch that was stolen some time ago down the road.

I have a couple of friends that have their stolen Rolex watches in the database, and they are just waiting for some poor guy who purchased it from a reputable seller to send it into a RSC.

I wish you the best in recovering you money, it's a horrible situation. I am also happy for the poor guy who got his Rolex stolen, how great it must be to get your watch back.
Old 17 February 2011, 06:28 AM   #12
threemonkeys
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMTIIc, AK, LVc
I would contact eBay dispute resolution asap to start a paper trail. They took care of an issue for me very promptly. I would also make sure to only communicate via your eBay account. Between your credit card Paypal and eBay you'll be good. And personally, I think 24 hours is very generous. Keep us posted.
threemonkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2011, 06:33 AM   #13
TimeToGo
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:

You are absolutely correct there!

Last edited by Tools; 18 February 2011 at 02:17 AM..
TimeToGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2011, 06:37 AM   #14
Explorer 2011
"TRF" Member

Watch: Searching
Is there a way to check if a watch is legit, for both the buyer and the seller. It is possible that the seller is innocent in all this, is it not? Or should any reputable seller already be aware of the watch's status?
Explorer 2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2011, 06:39 AM   #15
Frogman4me
Banned

Crazy story, good luck!
Frogman4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2011, 06:40 AM   #16
paulgjohnston

I would have thought that any reputable dealer would check the Rolex register prior to purchasing a watch from a seller to prevent this very thing from happening. Definitely his problem, not yours....
paulgjohnston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2011, 06:40 AM   #17
InVision
Banned

Watch: Outerspace DayDate
This is a scary situation. If the seller makes good quickly I would not publish his/her name. If it is not resolved quickly I would give him/her a 2 day notice that you plan to publish their name. Just my take. IMHO.

Mike
InVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2011, 06:40 AM   #18
dooder202
Banned

Watch: DateJust
Quote:

Yes you are definitely correct. May I ask if the seller wanted any additional info to back up your sotry about how you took it to RSC and they took it away?

BTW, I'm surious to hear how exactly Rolex told you it was stolen. Did they call you up and say you'll never see the watch again? Did they ask you where you purchased it from? Please tell! How did it go?
dooder202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2011, 06:48 AM   #19
ally
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer II
How easily accesable is the Rolex register?

Could the public check there watch purchases on. In the UK we have a HPI register for cars that will tell you if the car is stolen, finance owed or written off
16610 LV.
ally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2011, 06:53 AM   #20
witch watch
"TRF" Member

Watch: Milgauss GV
Quote:
Originally Posted by dooder202 View Post
BTW, I'm surious to hear how exactly Rolex told you it was stolen. Did they call you up and say you'll never see the watch again? Did they ask you where you purchased it from? Please tell! How did it go?
Same here i'd love to know just what they said, and btw fingers crossed you get your Ł back asap
witch watch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2011, 07:02 AM   #21
GTS Dean
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3570.50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ally View Post
[B]How easily accesable is the Rolex register?

Could the public check there watch purchases on. /B]
I just asked this same question of my AD last week. He said the Service Centers have access to this DB and will NOT divulge the info - even to the very best dealers. If sent for service and determined to be stolen, the Service Centers will either return the stolen piece to its rightful owner, or to the insurance company if they covered the loss. If you buy an unverified Rolex, you either keep it that way and not serviced by the factory, or take your chances on losing your $ and your used Rolex. Not a really pleasant situation to find yourself in.
GTS Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2011, 07:15 AM   #22
mjclark32
"TRF" Member

Watch: IWC, Rolex, AP
Best of luck, hope this gets resolved in your favor
Old 17 February 2011, 07:34 AM   #23
bayerische
"TRF" Member

Watch: Smurf
Wow!

Good to know that register seems to work. Hopefully you'll get your money back. Paying with a CC definitely has it's advantages.
Old 17 February 2011, 07:36 AM   #24
cgjane
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116509 BlackArabic
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTS Dean View Post
I just asked this same question of my AD last week. He said the Service Centers have access to this DB and will NOT divulge the info - even to the very best dealers. If sent for service and determined to be stolen, the Service Centers will either return the stolen piece to its rightful owner, or to the insurance company if they covered the loss. If you buy an unverified Rolex, you either keep it that way and not serviced by the factory, or take your chances on losing your $ and your used Rolex. Not a really pleasant situation to find yourself in.
Wow an AD told you that? Scary thought.
Old 17 February 2011, 07:45 AM   #25
imono
"TRF" Member

Please tell if there is some kind of paper work or letter from RSC or some official documentation to say it is a stolen watch.
I hope it is not just a simple phone call from RSC saying "Your watch is stolen. Goodbye".
imono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2011, 07:47 AM   #26
daytonayacht
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116520/116500LN
sumfing stinks
daytonayacht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2011, 07:48 AM   #27
689maple

Watch: 116718 PP & B Bay
Two things: Basic law that he who deals with the thief loses, not the second guy in line as in your situation. 2. How do you report a stolen Rolex to Rolex?
689maple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2011, 07:52 AM   #28
Hooper
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Quote:
Originally Posted by daytonayacht View Post
sumfing stinks
I tend to agree
Old 17 February 2011, 08:02 AM   #29
rolexertion

Quote:
Originally Posted by dooder202 View Post
Yes you are definitely correct. May I ask if the seller wanted any additional info to back up your sotry about how you took it to RSC and they took it away?

BTW, I'm curious to hear how exactly Rolex told you it was stolen. Did they call you up and say you'll never see the watch again? Did they ask you where you purchased it from? Please tell! How did it go?
I'm a well-known customer to Rolex. They have both my home and office numbers, and my email address, etc., in their files at the CDN head office. They phoned me to politely tell me they had bad news, the watch I had dropped off that day had shown up in their database as stolen. I told them I appreciated their telling me, that I would appreciate it if they ever found one that might be stolen from me in future. They did ask where I had gotten it, I told them on ebay. If they want to know the specifics, I'll be glad to tell them.

Rolex also sent me an email with the S/N and description of the watch and where and when it had been reported stolen, listing their contact information. I copied the email to the seller. There is no excuse for the seller not to correct the situation immediately. He can very quickly and easily contact Rolex directly to get confirmation of my report of the problem.

Rolex always keeps and returns stolen goods to the rightful owner. I see that is a big reason to buy Rolex.
Old 17 February 2011, 08:12 AM   #30
Alan111
"TRF" Member

Holy sh*t! That's nuts!
I would give the eBay seller 24 hours to refund me - no ands, ifs or buts. I also would expose his name, whether or not he rectified the situation. It's always good to warn others of a bad apple.
Alan111 is offline   Reply With Quote