The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 20 May 2019, 03:28 AM   #301
Alimamy
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060;124270
The Barakuda looks great, but I ended up getting over my size hangup and bought a 43mm Bathyscaphe with bracelet. Love the anthracite sunburst dial and the vast dial space.
Alimamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2019, 11:09 AM   #302
Robbyman
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona/Pepsi/Sub
Name down on the ‘Kuda here.
Robbyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2019, 12:06 PM   #303
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbyman View Post
Name down on the ‘Kuda here.
Nice. I keep going back and forth on if me getting the barakuda will be redundant as I have the Milspec. I love the watch, just not sure if it's different enough from the Milspec.

instagram.com/ct_watch_guy
_speedmaster_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2019, 12:58 PM   #304
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by _speedmaster_ View Post
Nice. I keep going back and forth on if me getting the barakuda will be redundant as I have the Milspec. I love the watch, just not sure if it's different enough from the Milspec.
Not much different than your two speedmasters or GMT/sub imho. Still, yo comprendo. Make that call when you have both in hand
Old 21 May 2019, 08:12 PM   #305
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
Not much different than your two speedmasters or GMT/sub imho. Still, yo comprendo. Make that call when you have both in hand
Fair point... and all the rational I needed to convince myself. Haha

Old 21 May 2019, 09:11 PM   #306
Frits1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
True, but different price and value retention do. Speedmaster/Rolex vs Blancpain. Hmm, not a fanboy of any brand but there is a difference. Personaly i dont want to go to heavy in a brand like Blancpain. LE's seems to do better but still. I will stick to my Bathy and Mil-spec for now.
Frits1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2019, 09:46 PM   #307
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frits1980 View Post
True, but different price and value retention do. Speedmaster/Rolex vs Blancpain. Hmm, not a fanboy of any brand but there is a difference. Personaly i dont want to go to heavy in a brand like Blancpain. LE's seems to do better but still. I will stick to my Bathy and Mil-spec for now.
Fair point on value retention. I will say though, other reasons aside, this is why I only really purchase limited editions from brands like Blancpain and JLC. Historically, they do hold their value relatively well, should you ever want to sell it. The no Rads, milspec and BOCs are essentially still worth MSRP (if not a little more).

I'll also say that the contrarian in me is really starting to have a distaste for what is going on in the market with brands like AP, PP and Rolex. The speculation, hype, lists, etc. have made it somewhat unbearable. The same can even be said with recent Speedys now (ST1, ST2, Tokyo 2020 editons, etc).

Old 21 May 2019, 10:27 PM   #308
Frits1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Fair point on value retention. I will say though, other reasons aside, this is why I only really purchase limited editions from brands like Blancpain and JLC. Historically, they do hold their value relatively well, should you ever want to sell it. The no Rads, milspec and BOCs are essentially still worth MSRP (if not a little more).

I'll also say that the contrarian in me is really starting to have a distaste for what is going on in the market with brands like AP, PP and Rolex. The speculation, hype, lists, etc. have made it somewhat unbearable. The same can even be said with recent Speedys now (ST1, ST2, Tokyo 2020 editons, etc).
I get it, especialy with Patek. Would love to own certain models but i can't - no relationship so i have to go grey for sports which i wont. I'm kind of lucky that i have a good relationship with a small non-us Rolex AD so this whole Rolex issue is not effecting me. Basically i have or can get any model i want within reasonable timeframes (months). Maybe thats one of the reasons the brand doesnt realy interest me at the moment. I own a bunch but i'm kind of bored with them.

As for AP, i have the 15400 which i absolutely love so not much else i desire from them. Maybe a RO chrono one day.

At this point i'm looking mostly at Lange. Still a steal if you buy used and a whole different level.
Old 21 May 2019, 11:02 PM   #309
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

Quote:
At this point i'm looking mostly at Lange. Still a steal if you buy used and a whole different level.
Yes, the market frenzy hasn't yet caught on to Lange and Breguet (although that largely has to do with their lack of sport models).

Im relatively young and haven't really had time to nurture an AD relationship, so I'm left outside looking in with regards to the popular brands. But, maybe this is me just saving face, I truly do love what brands like Blancpain are doing (more so than Rolex, PP or AP).

Old 21 May 2019, 11:35 PM   #310
Frits1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yes, the market frenzy hasn't yet caught on to Lange and Breguet (although that largely has to do with their lack of sport models).

Im relatively young and haven't really had time to nurture an AD relationship, so I'm left outside looking in with regards to the popular brands. But, maybe this is me just saving face, I truly do love what brands like Blancpain are doing (more so than Rolex, PP or AP).
I'm getting close to 40 so i'm getting more in to semi-dress now;) But based on your collection i would definitely have a look at the Royal Oak first and if you have the wrist for it - the 15400/15500 instead of a second Blancpain.

I believe with a bit of effort you can still get one (except blue ofcource) within 3/6 months. Its one of those watches where you can actualy see where you're money went. Dial, bracelet, case finishing are top notch.
Old 22 May 2019, 01:34 AM   #311
gretch6364
"TRF" Member

Since people always have to complain about something....we have 45 MM FF and 40 MM FF. When can we get a 42? ;-)
gretch6364 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2019, 02:25 AM   #312
Alimamy
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060;124270
Interesting discussion here. I love hearing the perspective from collectors. I am relatively new to collecting and beginning my career so I appreciate others sharing their perspective on the current offerings and availability.
Alimamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2019, 04:08 AM   #313
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I'm getting close to 40 so i'm getting more in to semi-dress now;) But based on your collection i would definitely have a look at the Royal Oak first and if you have the wrist for it - the 15400/15500 instead of a second Blancpain.

I believe with a bit of effort you can still get one (except blue ofcource) within 3/6 months. Its one of those watches where you can actualy see where you're money went. Dial, bracelet, case finishing are top notch.
No intention to offend, but AP doesn't really appeal to me for some reason.

I think this BP may be my last sport watch for some time, though (if I decide to keep it). I do think I could benefit from a semi-dress watch down the road, and was thinking Urban Jurgensen or Lange

Old 22 May 2019, 12:46 PM   #314
bruinmd
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek/Rolex/GS
Quote:

I think this BP may be my last sport watch for some time, though (if I decide to keep it). I do think I could benefit from a semi-dress watch down the road, and was thinking Urban Jurgensen or Lange
If you get a semi dress/dress watch, Lange all day long.
bruinmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2019, 01:08 PM   #315
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

I am guessing the barakuda will hold its value pretty well all things considered. Strange lack of press though. Did not even garner a hodinkee article and they write up everything.
Old 22 May 2019, 02:56 PM   #316
DoraTheExplorerII
"TRF" Member

Not super exciting but I'm really thinking about getting the new two-handed Villeret extra-plate, very nice and clean with the power reserve in the back and manual wind on top of it all! Comes in steel so should be quite modestly priced.
DoraTheExplorerII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2019, 09:31 PM   #317
Frits1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:

No problem:) Dont know much about Jurugensen to be honest but if i would have to pick my favorite brand it would be Lange. Recently got a mint lange 1 in rose gold for 60% list. Absolutely stunning and for a price some people pay for a SS Rolex Sports on the grey market.
Old 24 May 2019, 08:31 AM   #318
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I am guessing the barakuda will hold its value pretty well all things considered. Strange lack of press though. Did not even garner a hodinkee article and they write up everything.
The Air Command seems to have stolen the spotlight. Not unexpected when you think about the uniqueness and excellent execution.
I think the barakuda will definitely hold its value. 500 pieces is fairly rare, and although Blancpain traditionally don't hold value well in the secondary market, the limited editions do (as referenced by the no rad, OCs and milspec).

The Barakuda also seems to be more universally liked than the milspec or BOCiii. I remember a ton of people hating on the "pokeball" moisture indicator, not really getting the reference. The BOCiii, people thought the world logo was a bit over the top. The Barakuda also puts the date in a proper place, at 3:00. Not jammed in at 4:00 like an afterthought.

Old 24 May 2019, 01:06 PM   #319
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
The Air Command seems to have stolen the spotlight. Not unexpected when you think about the uniqueness and excellent execution.
I think the barakuda will definitely hold its value. 500 pieces is fairly rare, and although Blancpain traditionally don't hold value well in the secondary market, the limited editions do (as referenced by the no rad, OCs and milspec).

The Barakuda also seems to be more universally liked than the milspec or BOCiii. I remember a ton of people hating on the "pokeball" moisture indicator, not really getting the reference. The BOCiii, people thought the world logo was a bit over the top. The Barakuda also puts the date in a proper place, at 3:00. Not jammed in at 4:00 like an afterthought.
I agree on all points. I just like to get a dink article on watches so I can read the comments lol

Part of me thinks the combat swimmer is the sleeper but I’m still most excited about the Barakuda.
Old 24 May 2019, 07:12 PM   #320
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I agree on all points. I just like to get a dink article on watches so I can read the comments lol.
Haha, same here.

Old 27 May 2019, 05:53 PM   #321
Totoro
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega PloProf
I'm really interested in the Fifty fathoms lately. It's on my shortlist of watches to add next. I'm just curious what are typical discounts I can expect from an AD.

I'm considering the grande date. Tried it on a few times already.
IMG_20190518_074707.jpg

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk
Totoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2019, 08:11 PM   #322
endo
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP 15703 & PP 5990
Some more pics from the weekend playing with the prototypes,
there's alot more pics on instagram since it's the easiest way to dump pics off my phone, than trying to link every pic.

Blancpain Fifty Farhoms Nageurs de Combat - (gallery) Click for Instagram Gallery

Blancpain Air Command - Click for Instagram Gallery

And the ones folk are waiting for,

Blancpain Barakuda (with side by side comparison to my milspec) - Click for Instagram Gallery

endo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2019, 11:17 PM   #323
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Thank you for the great shot endo
Old 28 May 2019, 12:29 AM   #324
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

Excellent shots. I may end up really regretting it, but I ended up giving up my Kudu slot. Just thought it was a bit too similar to my Milspec. But I can't wait to see the incomings (I hear the first ones will start coming in Oct).

Old 28 May 2019, 01:39 AM   #325
Baco Noir
"TRF" Member

Watch: this ya'll
The new 45mm Ti BP FF black dial automatic (5015) is the one that has my attention right now. Can’t wait to see one when they hit the street and see what they go for used.
Current Collection: Rolex 116710BLNR & 216570 polar Explorer II; Omega Apollo 8 Speedmaster; Tudor BB Bronze Bucherer Blue Edition; Heuer Heritage Autavia; Nomos Club Sport Neomatik 42; Breitling Aerospace, Avenger Blackbird, & Superocean 44; Seiko Black Monster; Mickey Mouse Timex Electric; and dare I say it...an Apple Watch too
Baco Noir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2019, 04:28 AM   #326
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by endo View Post
Some more pics from the weekend playing with the prototypes,
there's alot more pics on instagram since it's the easiest way to dump pics off my phone, than trying to link every pic.

Blancpain Fifty Farhoms Nageurs de Combat - (gallery) Click for Instagram Gallery

Blancpain Air Command - Click for Instagram Gallery

And the ones folk are waiting for,

Blancpain Barakuda (with side by side comparison to my milspec) - Click for Instagram Gallery

Outstanding! The air command is calling my name but with 6.5 wrist it can’t possibly fit? Damn my girlie wrist
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2019, 04:44 AM   #327
Frits1980
"TRF" Member

How is the bezel action on the new models? It Always kind of bug me on the Bathy and Mil-spec. Doesnt feel solid and there is some give when turning right nor does it center 100%. If Tudor can make it feel rock solid on a 3K black bay Blancpain should have no issue doing the same on their 10K+ pieces.
Old 28 May 2019, 05:41 AM   #328
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap1 View Post
Outstanding! The air command is calling my name but with 6.5 wrist it can’t possibly fit? Damn my girlie wrist
Same. I really, really like the air command, but my wrists can't pull of 42mm. I wish it was smaller, or atleast the lugs were more compact.

Old 29 May 2019, 02:28 PM   #329
SS Oyster
"TRF" Member

I had one, but sold it to fund a Kermit and EXP2 42mm. I have neither any longer.

There have been some issues with bezel delamination, and nothing but bezel replacement once that happens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SS Oyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2019, 09:18 PM   #330
Frits1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Oyster View Post
I had one, but sold it to fund a Kermit and EXP2 42mm. I have neither any longer.

There have been some issues with bezel delamination, and nothing but bezel replacement once that happens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes, i've heard that story as well. Dont think thats the case do with mine. There is simply a bit of give when turning the bezel right on both No problem what so ever but it does make me question Blancpain a bit and its just a bit cheap. If the same on all divers it should have been noticed and fixed.