The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 30 April 2022, 11:15 PM   #31
TK-710
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116600
The difference for me is that I would never wear any jewelry, especially a watch, in yellow gold. Rose gold the chances are slim to almost none. I was never a fan of two tone either. But the Rolex rose gold and two tone rose gold GMT look good to me but I’ve yet to see one in person. This is all based on my skin complexion and my opinion of how gold looks against it. White metals are the only thing that work.
TK-710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2022, 01:48 AM   #32
Big Tex Rolex
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan2009 View Post
The point is that the watch has warmer tone to it instead of looking obnoxiously orange. It makes a difference when you see it in person.
I agree they look different in person … but to me, I have the opposite reaction …

In pictures, they make them look more neutral, more “goldish” … in person they are pinker than in the pictures.

I wore a Rolex Cellini in the AD for an hour, while we were buying my girlfriend’s watch, and I just could not pull the trigger … loved the watch, but it was pink, maybe copper, like a penny, and I just don’t want a pink watch.

At another AD, that has nearly every other brand (individual Boutiques), I put on several A. Lange watches … they are more of a Salmon color.

My AD ranks the watches 1-5 on how pink toned they are, and ranks the A. Lange the least pink of the watches they carry.

Pink is a fair descriptor, but to me they lean more towards the copper they have in them.

All that said, my observations and thoughts aside … the manufacturers are making them for a reason … they obviously sell … and their data must be that people want Rose Gold.

Times have changed … I don’t remember the Pharaohs of Egypt, the Incas, the Aztecs, the Mayans wanting to be buried in Rose Gold !!! Lol
Big Tex Rolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2022, 08:44 AM   #33
edyu
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

I've heard that East Asians love rose gold because Yellow Gold feels older and RG looks better on fair skinned Asians. Not sure how much truth is in that. However as I age I start to like yellow gold especially since my skin tone is now heavily tanned.
edyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2022, 04:45 AM   #34
Boopie
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
“Fashionable” metals can change over time. I’m finally redoing my 1980s kitchen, which has all-brass knobs and latches, etc. Over the years chrome, nickel, oil-rubbed bronze, black, copper, etc. have all had their day in the sun. Wouldn’t you know it, just as I’m about to tear it all out, brass is “in” right now.

Skin can have an undertone that is “cool” or “warm,” which is why silver/white metals work better on some, and gold/yellow metals work better on others. Rose gold can look different based on the alloys etc. (as noted above, more or less “pink”). For me, the white/silver metals looks better. When I tried on a RG DD it unfortunately didn’t look good on my wrist, with my skin tone. RG looks utterly fantastic on others.
Boopie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2022, 01:02 PM   #35
bluestreak
"TRF" Member

I think rose gold looks good on darker skin tones. I also think it’s more understated than yellow gold.
bluestreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2022, 05:45 AM   #36
Aldwyn
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Mast II 116713
I have certainly seen some rose gold watches that looked fantastic. I just wish there more more YG watches available since they match my wedding ring. Or maybe I need to convince my wife that we need white gold or platinum wedding rings. :D

Doing a search on the non-rolex for-sale forum here, filtering for gold in the post as well as being posted in the last 30 days: In the first page, only 2 were YG! There were a few WG, and the rest were rose gold! It just seems to be the market these days.

Rolex, Patek Philippe, Omega, MeisterSinger, Tag Heuer, Vostok, Seiko... and a Disney Mickey Mouse!
Aldwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2022, 06:00 AM   #37
JParm
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluestreak View Post
I think rose gold looks good on darker skin tones. I also think it’s more understated than yellow gold.
100% on this. I don't care if it's trendy or not - it just flat out looks better for me. I tried the YG DD40 on before I got mine and it was LOUD. RG is where it's at for me - love the warmer tones!