The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 15 December 2023, 02:51 PM   #1
wesdaniel
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Varies
2023 Acquisitions & Dispositions (Pic Heavy)

After doing the same summary last year (2022 Acquisitions & Dispositions), I decided to sit down and look at what's happened (so far) in 2023.

In 2020, I added 11 watches to the collection and moved 3 out. 2021 brought 3 in and 10 out. 2022 brought in 17 watches (ugh) and 5 moved out.

This year was much quieter as there really isn't much left that I want - net results are 4 in and 3 out. So, let's go:

Incoming:

First, in January, was my (almost) birth year 1601. I had been wanting a birth year (1968) Rolex for quite a long time. The full story is in this post. I ultimately sent the watch to Michael at Rolliworks, had a new OEM dial installed, the movement serviced, the case repaired, and found an OEM, period-correct bracelet for it.

In February, I bought this watch. I first found the Millenary line in 2018 and was blown away with its beauty, but struggled to find one at the price point I wanted to pay. I had the opportunity to buy this one at the right price and jumped on it. Sent it in to AP for a service and, 12 weeks later, got one of my grails.

In April, I settled on the Patek that I wanted to replace the 5035r that I reference below. While this one wears smaller than I'd like, I overall love it. It's my only white gold watch and, to me, it represents some of the best in watchmaking.

Finally, in September, I was trying to buy one of my "old" grails (an Omega Globemaster Annual Calendar), but couldn't work out the deal I wanted. I saw this one at a price that seemed almost too good to be true and jumped on it. It's absolutely one of the most fun watches I have and I have no regrets at all about buying it.

Outgoing:

Only three watches left the collection this year.

The Glashutte Original Perpetual Calendar was one that I liked but just never bonded with. Was kind of sad to see it go, but, ultimately, I only need one perpetual calendar and the JLC won out.

Also let go the Tudor Black Bay 58 Bronze. The bronze just never grew on me and, while I really liked the dial color, it ended up being in the bottom tier of my watches, so away it went.

Last one to go was the Patek 5035r. This watch seemed cursed. I ordered the watch and, while I was waiting for it, my mother got quite sick. On the day it arrived, I took a fall down a flight of stairs and did extensive damage to my knee. Then, my mom passed a few days later. So, needless to say, the watch didn't hold good feelings for me. Plus, I wasn't crazy about how small it seemed to wear and the tang buckle.

There are still a few days left in the year, so, we'll see what might happen!
wesdaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2023, 03:42 PM   #2
Carguy87
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: JC 126660
Thanks for sharing Wes! Sorry about your Mom and your tumble but I like the collection updates. That AP is a stunner!!
Tudor: Black Bay GMT Opaline
Carguy87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2023, 12:22 AM   #3
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesdaniel View Post
Last one to go was the Patek 5035r. This watch seemed cursed.... Plus, I wasn't crazy about how small it seemed to wear and the tang buckle.
Ahhh, my first PP was the then-just-released 5035r ($13,500), same config as yours. 36mm was normal back then, and agree the tang is a letdown so get the deployant if you really insist on keeping it (install straps in 'reverse' for better deployant fit imho).

As for being cursed, imho sell it asap as had a timepiece (kinda) like that and let it go. Life got better

PS: Trade the PP in for a M.A.D.1 in Green and in Blue. Collect them all
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2023, 12:42 AM   #4
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
2023 Acquisitions & Dispositions (Pic Heavy)

Nice unique pickups
Old 16 December 2023, 01:12 AM   #5
Steele
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them
Amazing Storys thank you for sharing. Great read
Steele is offline   Reply With Quote