The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Picture & Video Gallery

Old 18 April 2008, 11:33 PM   #1
frostie
1,000,000th PostMember

Porsche GT2 vs. Corvetter Z06 A very nice review made by autosport.co.uk

Here is the link : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sb4xJ...C5D43&index=23

GMT - Master II C - 116710 LN
frostie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2008, 12:50 AM   #2
DSJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: your step!
Nice review. I'd still rather have 2 Corvettes (1 for track, one for road). Or get the ZR1..
DSJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2008, 01:10 AM   #3
toph
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, Brellum,
Cheers as expected the porsche kills it. thanks Velitsko

"Where no counsel is the people fall, but in the multitude of counselors there is safety."

Member No.# 11795
toph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2008, 01:44 AM   #4
Terry Newton
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex TT GMT II c
Porsche Hands Down! As expected.

Terry Newton

"Z" SS Date Submariner
"Z" TT GMT-Master IIc
Terry Newton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2008, 01:57 AM   #5
doc_colton
"TRF" Member

Why is everyone slaggin' GM? And why didn't they test the Porsche against a ZR1? Don't get me wrong, I love the stuff from Stuttegart and I drive a BMW myself, but I'd like to see Porsche, Ferrari or any of the supercar makers create something with as much performance and looks for the same money as a 'vette. You guys have obviously never put the hammer down on a big block V-8, it's intoxicating, you hit 100 mph and your still in second gear.......
Old 19 April 2008, 02:06 AM   #6
frostie
1,000,000th PostMember

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc_colton View Post
Why is everyone slaggin' GM? And why didn't they test the Porsche against a ZR1? Don't get me wrong, I love the stuff from Stuttegart and I drive a BMW myself, but I'd like to see Porsche, Ferrari or any of the supercar makers create something with as much performance and looks for the same money as a 'vette. You guys have obviously never put the hammer down on a big block V-8, it's intoxicating, you hit 100 mph and your still in second gear.......
It's impossible for a ferrari or porsche to create a car at a similar price of a vette cause ferraris,porsches,lambos are into luxury and the overall prices of the materials used are 3 times the price than the materials that GM is using. Not to mention that most of the technology on ferraris is coming from Formula 1 which means that ferraris or any other european super cars are not fast only on a straight line but through corners too. The technology used in differentials,gearboxes and other is really sophisticated in european super cars. In terms of performance all the mentioned manufacturers have surpassed the vette take for example the enzo, carrera GT etc.

Take a look at the pics of the interior only fine materials are used such as leather carbon fiber etc.

Ferrari F430 similar to a vette but the cost is huge :

Lambo Gallardo similar to a vette's performance :

Porsche Turbo my favourite one :

Corvette Z06 :

Old 19 April 2008, 02:10 AM   #7
cbrenthus
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing my second hand
Porsche GT2: $191,700
Corvette Z06: $78,970

Everybody always wants to rip GM, but, as mentioned, they make a hell of a car for the price. They need to compare the Z06 against a Boxster S or Caymen S, or even base stripped down 911.

Makes me wonder what kind of car GM could prduce for $200K?
cbrenthus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2008, 02:12 AM   #8
frostie
1,000,000th PostMember

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrenthus View Post
Porsche GT2: $191,700
Corvette Z06: $78,970

Everybody always wants to rip GM, but, as mentioned, they make a hell of a car for the price. They need to compare the Z06 against a Boxster S or Caymen S, or even base stripped down 911.

Makes me wonder what kind of car GM could prduce for $200K?
It is indeed a great car in terms of performance i can't argue with that i mean numbers talk here

It's the materials and technology that make european super cars more expensive

Old 19 April 2008, 02:14 AM   #9
cbrenthus
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostie View Post
It's impossible for a ferrari or porsche to create a car at a similar price of a vette cause ferraris,porsches,lambos are into luxury and the overall prices of the materials used are 3 times the price than the materials that GM is using. Not to mention that most of the technology on ferraris is coming from Formula 1 which means that ferraris or any other european super cars are not fast only on a straight line but through corners too. The technology used in differentials,gearboxes and other is really sophisticated in european super cars. In terms of performance all the mentioned manufacturers have surpassed the vette take for example the enzo, carrera GT etc.
That may be true, but personally I love the fact that GM builds an affordable sports car for people that don't need there ass wiped with the finest leather from milk fed calves. I'm not trying to be an ass, but Porsche, Ferrari, Lambo, and others build cars that most people will never be able to own, whereas GM makes a car that performs just as well but is within reach of most people if they truly want it.
Old 19 April 2008, 02:16 AM   #10
cbrenthus
"TRF" Member

Quote:
It is indeed a great car in terms of performance i can't argue with that i mean numbers talk here

It's the materials and technology that make european super cars more expensive
I was quoting you as you were quoting me. I know the materials and tech make the euros moe expensive, however, when it comes to technology, do people realize the new 'vette Z06 has a 427 CI engine that revs to 7000 RPM? There is alot of technology in that engine.
Old 19 April 2008, 02:17 AM   #11
frostie
1,000,000th PostMember

Quote:
That may be true, but personally I love the fact that GM builds an affordable sports car for people that don't need there ass wiped with the finest leather from milk fed calves. I'm not trying to be an ass, but Porsche, Ferrari, Lambo, and others build cars that most people will never be able to own, whereas GM makes a car that performs just as well but is within reach of most people if they truly want it.
Well i think that this has to do with the strategy of the companies and europeans aim at the high end market only. That's why european super cars have generated such a high global awareness cause they are synomym to luxury and performance

Also it makes the owners feel exclusive i mean if you own one you will feel special cause not many people own one

Personally i can't afford a super car hope that one day i will

Old 19 April 2008, 02:19 AM   #12
frostie
1,000,000th PostMember

Quote:
I was quoting you as you were quoting me. I know the materials and tech make the euros moe expensive, however, when it comes to technology, do people realize the new 'vette Z06 has a 427 CI engine that revs to 7000 RPM? There is alot of technology in that engine.
Undeniably it's a great engine i can't argue with that but the engine is not the only thing that makes a car fast you must also have good suspension,gearbox,differential etc.

Last edited by frostie; 19 April 2008 at 02:20 AM.. Reason: Typing Mistake
Old 19 April 2008, 02:20 AM   #13
doc_colton
"TRF" Member

Frostie, that old "straight line" argument may have been true 15 years ago. A ZR1 with a competent driver could hold his own with any of the cars you mentioned on a road course. It's like anything else, if you've got the money and enjoy the exclusivity well then go to Maranello and buy Ferrari. More people are out having fun driving their 'Vettes in real life.
Old 19 April 2008, 02:21 AM   #14
cbrenthus
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Undeniably it's a great engine i can't argue with that but the engine is not the only thing that makes a car fast it's the suspension,gearbox,differential etc.
The suspension and gearbox of the 'vette is also very good, though.

I think the problem with test drivers and vettes is really the interior quality. I'm sure that after getting out of a Euro car, the interior of a vette makes it feel like it was made by Fisher Price. And, right off the bat the tester is prejudiced against the rest of the car assuming that it is just as poor.
Old 19 April 2008, 02:27 AM   #15
frostie
1,000,000th PostMember

Quote:
Frostie, that old "straight line" argument may have been true 15 years ago. A ZR1 with a competent driver could hold his own with any of the cars you mentioned on a road course. It's like anything else, if you've got the money and enjoy the exclusivity well then go to Maranello and buy Ferrari. More people are out having fun driving their 'Vettes in real life.
Well nobody is driving vettes here so i don't know what people would think about this car i am just making a comparison with european super cars that have a similar performance.

On the other hand when it comes to driving skills when it comes to a ferrari or a porsche or any other high end car manufacturer you don't have to be a competent driver. Even the sloppiest driver can get an F430 around the nurburgring for less than a sec from the ferrari car testers because technology helps you to make use of the complete power and doesn't let you crash. If somebody though feels competent or like dying can deactivate the electronics and put the car in a psychopath mode

Old 19 April 2008, 02:29 AM   #16
frostie
1,000,000th PostMember

Quote:
The suspension and gearbox of the 'vette is also very good, though.

I think the problem with test drivers and vettes is really the interior quality. I'm sure that after getting out of a Euro car, the interior of a vette makes it feel like it was made by Fisher Price. And, right off the bat the tester is prejudiced against the rest of the car assuming that it is just as poor.
I remember top gear mentioning that the suspension is awful and that it's really hard to change gears as the gearbox was really stiff but i 've never driven any vette to be honest

I just know more about european super cars cause i see them more often than vettes

Last edited by frostie; 19 April 2008 at 02:31 AM.. Reason: Typing mistake
Old 19 April 2008, 02:41 AM   #17
doc_colton
"TRF" Member

Apples and Oranges
Old 19 April 2008, 02:47 AM   #18
Terry Newton
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I remember top gear mentioning that the suspension is awful and that it's really hard to change gears as the gearbox was really stiff but i 've never driven any vette to be honest

I just know more about european super cars cause i see them more often than vettes
I've driven older Vettes. The suspension used to be horrible. No wonder my spine ruptured all to pieces. I don't know about the newer ones though. Most of my friends are old like me. I need to drive an SUV because I can't get in and out of a car very easily. My spine has four artificial discs and I am permanently damaged goods. I'd still love a Porsche. My wife would help get me in and out. Once you're in, the driving is a piece of cake.

Terry Newton

"Z" SS Date Submariner
"Z" TT GMT-Master IIc
Old 19 April 2008, 05:16 AM   #19
frostie
1,000,000th PostMember

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Newton View Post
I've driven older Vettes. The suspension used to be horrible. No wonder my spine ruptured all to pieces. I don't know about the newer ones though. Most of my friends are old like me. I need to drive an SUV because I can't get in and out of a car very easily. My spine has four artificial discs and I am permanently damaged goods. I'd still love a Porsche. My wife would help get me in and out. Once you're in, the driving is a piece of cake.

Terry Newton
Thanks for the info about the suspension

The mercedes S class and some other topline mercedes have nice massage functions maybe you should go after a Benz

Old 19 April 2008, 06:01 AM   #20
Terry Newton
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks for the info about the suspension

The mercedes S class and some other topline mercedes have nice massage functions maybe you should go after a Benz
I'm comfortable but I sure am not rich. I own a Lexus RX 400h. It is the hybrid SUV and is very comfortable but, like I said, I can only get in a vehicle that is higher off the ground. If I try to get in to a car I can hardly bend to get in and I have to roll to get out. It's part of my spinal disease. It beats pushing up daisies though and I am grateful for whatever God has given me. Life is good

Terry Newton

"Z" SS Date Submariner
"Z" TT GMT-Master IIc
Old 19 April 2008, 06:36 AM   #21
DSJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: your step!
When I was younger, I dreamed of the day I could afford a Ferrari. Now that I approach a period of my life where that might even be in sight, I will do other things with that money, like retire earlier. That said, for $100K, there is NOTHING that can touch a new ZR1. But for $100K, I would rather buy a used 550 Maranello. But for $100K, I would rather buy a "base" Corvette and invest the other $50K. I hate what age and responsibility does to a person. Keep the dream alive, Velitsko!

I also have come to realize that a car is just a car and does not need to be more luxurious than my house...

I think I posted this link before, but here it is again: http://www.roadandtrack.com/article....rticle_id=6172

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKvP5lNPWXo

The guy in the video may be wearing a Daytona?
DSJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2008, 06:48 AM   #22
Terry Newton
"TRF" Member

David:

Ain't it a drag getting old? It's too bad we have to get responsible; where reason wins out over impulses and judgement. I suppose that is what makes the world safer is when we develop a sense of scruples.

Oh well; I wouldn't have it any other way. By the way; Welcome back from Chicago .

Terry Newton

"Z" SS Date Submariner
"Z" TT GMT-Master IIc
Old 19 April 2008, 06:55 AM   #23
Goodwatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: the sunrise...
Quote:
You've hit the nail on the head. I will talk for myself. Some manufacturers need a 5.6 or 6 litre engine to produce the same BHP that other manufacturers squeeze from 3.8 litre. Brute and simple force vs. elegance and high-tech. To each his own but I prefer the latter And I think you can't put hand-built engines, carbon fibre disc brakes, magneto resistant suspension and titanium engine mounts in a car that costs the same as a 'vette. This also is a choice of course. But seeing the 2 year waiting lists for Ferrari's this is no problem.
Old 19 April 2008, 09:24 AM   #24
frostie
1,000,000th PostMember

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSJ View Post
When I was younger, I dreamed of the day I could afford a Ferrari. Now that I approach a period of my life where that might even be in sight, I will do other things with that money, like retire earlier. That said, for $100K, there is NOTHING that can touch a new ZR1. But for $100K, I would rather buy a used 550 Maranello. But for $100K, I would rather buy a "base" Corvette and invest the other $50K. I hate what age and responsibility does to a person. Keep the dream alive, Velitsko!

I also have come to realize that a car is just a car and does not need to be more luxurious than my house...

I think I posted this link before, but here it is again: http://www.roadandtrack.com/article....rticle_id=6172

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKvP5lNPWXo

The guy in the video may be wearing a Daytona?
I gotta keep the dream alive David

Old 19 April 2008, 10:29 PM   #25
frostie
1,000,000th PostMember

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Newton View Post
I'm comfortable but I sure am not rich. I own a Lexus RX 400h. It is the hybrid SUV and is very comfortable but, like I said, I can only get in a vehicle that is higher off the ground. If I try to get in to a car I can hardly bend to get in and I have to roll to get out. It's part of my spinal disease. It beats pushing up daisies though and I am grateful for whatever God has given me. Life is good

Terry Newton
Lexus are really nice cars but not so popular here ( I mean greece)

Old 22 April 2008, 04:49 AM   #26
Ashley
"TRF" Member

Gooooooo Corvette <3 <3 <3
Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2008, 02:38 AM   #27
RogerF
"TRF" Member

Watch: a gonna do?
911s for life!

The GT2 is one fast car, they took everything that makes the Turbo luxurious and threw it out the window

I was recently handed the keys to a GT3 and that was pure sex! The GT3 is light and screams to 8000rpm. 400+HP without a Turbo is something that can be admired.
Old 23 April 2008, 02:47 AM   #28
redshirt1957
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blue YM today!
Driven both. Liked them both. Own both brands. Both are fun.
redshirt1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2008, 08:00 AM   #29
GMTJOHNNY
"TRF" Member

Watch: 2007 DAY DATE 18KT
Guess you know who has my vote...
ROLEX AIR KING 14000 (1991)
ROLEX GMTIIC TT 116713LN (2008)
GMTJOHNNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2008, 09:02 AM   #30
frostie
1,000,000th PostMember