The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 26 August 2021, 11:20 PM   #1
WatchEater666
"TRF" Member

Worldtimer - Service

Looking at picking up a World Timer. It's priced well, seller is solid, etc...

The caveat is that it's definitely accumulated a lot of small scratches etc over the years and probably needs a service.

Does Patek do a good job of preserving case shape? Are they doing laser welding and putting new material back on like Lange does to preserve case shape/avoid losing material over time?

Finally, anyone know if Patek service time quotes are remotely accurate atm?
WatchEater666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2021, 12:39 AM   #2
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
Serious question - why don't you get a Romain Gauthier, MB&F, Gronefeld, etc, instead, since you mentioned in your post these are better for the money?

https://www.rolexforums.com/showpost...6&postcount=53
Ichiran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2021, 01:43 AM   #3
dchang81
2024 Pledge Member

someone sounds butthurt, not sure that's really a serious question
dchang81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2021, 01:46 AM   #4
WatchEater666
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichiran View Post
Serious question - why don't you get a Romain Gauthier, MB&F, Gronefeld, etc, instead, since you mentioned in your post these are better for the money?

I am ordering one of those in Q1 too. Do you need to fill out a Butthurt Report Form because you're a hardcore fanboy? Are you 12?

Like I said in that thread, Patek isn't as good on the finishing side as those brands I posted about in the $50k - $100k range but the World Timer is ~$40K and I think Patek is more competitive there.

I make fun of AP all the time too but own a Millenary. Unlike you, I don't have a weird blind love for a brand. Not sure if you work for Patek or something, given your strange blind infatuation?
Old 27 August 2021, 01:51 AM   #5
2nastie
"TRF" Member

Watch: Time Only
If it goes back to Patek directly, I think they do great job with their servicing and polishing as a package.

On the laser welding point, I don't they will necessarily do it unless the case demands it. They won't just put material back on through a normal polishing procedure.

I believe world timers hover around the ~$40k mark, so if the one you are looking at requires that kind of work, I would suggest you shop around first. I think you could get one in better condition for the same price.
2nastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2021, 01:56 AM   #6
WatchEater666
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nastie View Post
If it goes back to Patek directly, I think they do great job with their servicing and polishing as a package.

On the laser welding point, I don't they will necessarily do it unless the case demands it. They won't just put material back on through a normal polishing procedure.

I believe world timers hover around the ~$40k mark, so if the one you are looking at requires that kind of work, I would suggest you shop around first. I think you could get one in better condition for the same price.
This one is a lot less than $40k. I meant general trading. But thank you for the contribution and guidance. Any idea if Patek quoted times are accurate VS actual? I know some brands are way off here which is what I'm worried about. BTW I'm from YVR too!
Old 27 August 2021, 01:57 AM   #7
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchang81 View Post
someone sounds butthurt, not sure that's really a serious question
Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchEater666 View Post
I am ordering one of those in Q1 too. Do you need to fill out a Butthurt Report Form because you're a hardcore fanboy? Are you 12?

Like I said in that thread, Patek isn't as good on the finishing side as those brands I posted about in the $50k - $100k range but the World Timer is ~$40K and I think Patek is more competitive there.

I make fun of AP all the time too but own a Millenary. Unlike you, I don't have a weird blind love for a brand. Not sure if you work for Patek or something, given your strange blind infatuation?
Butthurt over what?

I'm asking a straightforward question based on your previous stance on Patek.
Old 27 August 2021, 02:02 AM   #8
dchang81
2024 Pledge Member

not speaking for the OP but just because i think another brand is better doesn't mean i don't buy anything else. i still buy rolexes (when they even have anything) even though there's nothing particularly unique about it or exciting about the watchmaking. you just seem to take any complaint or negative statement against patek oddly personally.
Old 27 August 2021, 02:04 AM   #9
dchang81
2024 Pledge Member

several years ago patek was pretty slow with service 6 months or more, AP and rolex were pretty spot on with their estimates of 6 weeks. just sent off a patek and they quote me 4 months, but the AD said that they've been on the slower side don't hold my breath.
Old 27 August 2021, 02:10 AM   #10
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
not speaking for the OP but just because i think another brand is better doesn't mean i don't buy anything else. i still buy rolexes (when they even have anything) even though there's nothing particularly unique about it or exciting about the watchmaking. you just seem to take any complaint or negative statement against patek oddly personally.
If being a Patek fanboy and defending the brand with my own personal ownership experience on its quality is "oddly personal" then so be it.
Old 27 August 2021, 02:13 AM   #11
WatchEater666
"TRF" Member

Quote:
If being a Patek fanboy and defending the brand with my own personal experience on its quality is "oddly personal" then so be it.
lol following people around on a forum outraged that they are buying a Patek after pointing out they are not the apex of modern watchmaking (they are not) is indeed very butthurt.
Old 27 August 2021, 02:13 AM   #12
dchang81
2024 Pledge Member

i'm sorry but you telling him to go buy xyz since he think it's better seems childish. but anyways this internet slapfight is silly.

Last edited by dchang81; 27 August 2021 at 02:18 AM.. Reason: my poor english skills
Old 27 August 2021, 02:17 AM   #13
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
i'm sorry but you telling him to go buy xyz since you think it's better seems childish. but anyways this internet slapfight is silly.
He was the one who thinks xyz is better (the irony), I didn't said so. Check out the link I posted above.
Old 27 August 2021, 07:38 AM   #14
azizu
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 3700/11AJ
Patek service is cool and it is one of their unique propositions. they pride themselves on their commitment to service any Patek even if it was form the year 1839
the laser filling procedure is only done for deep scratches. I have never heard of re-casing or adding material to the case.

Quote:
Patek after pointing out they are not the apex of modern watchmaking (they are not)
They are the apex of watchmaking
Old 27 August 2021, 01:35 PM   #15
melhk
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Because in the other thread it made OP appears like a true WIS who knows what true haute horlogerie is you know. But obviously, at the end of they day, they are like anybody else... but please don't tell them otherwise or you will sound "butthurt", how classy.
melhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2021, 01:50 PM   #16
WatchEater666
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by melhk View Post
Because in the other thread it made OP appears like a true WIS who knows what true haute horlogerie is you know. But obviously, at the end of they day, they are like anybody else... but please don't tell them otherwise or you will sound "butthurt", how classy.
Clearly literacy eludes you, but I don't expect much from a fanboy.

Go and look at the brands I mentioned - all have objectively higher quality finishing. Absolutely ridiculous interior angles and thick anglage on the RG L1 VS anything Patek produces in the same price range.

I didn't say anywhere that nobody should buy a Patek, but that they aren't the absolute best watchmaker ever to walk the earth. I've owned several just like I own an AP and have had a few. Cool watches, yes, but not the absolute best.
Old 27 August 2021, 02:19 PM   #17
Ellz
2024 Pledge Member

I’m with Ichiran :-)))))
Ellz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2021, 02:22 PM   #18
descartes
"TRF" Member

I serviced my 5110 world timer at Patek a few years ago and it took like a year. There’s a thread about my experience on this site and Purists too.
Old 27 August 2021, 02:46 PM   #19
WatchEater666
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by descartes View Post
I serviced my 5110 world timer at Patek a few years ago and it took like a year. There’s a thread about my experience on this site and Purists too.
Thank you, this is exactly what I'm worried about. In that scenario I'd rather just pay a bit more for one in better condition.
Old 27 August 2021, 10:42 PM   #20
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Usually when I sold a PP I had it serviced and lightly polished to avoid these problems. Thus service sealed and a two-year warranty to the new owner so they had no concerns. Perhaps wait for one of those, or get a very good discount considering you'll not have it for many months during service.

Love timepieces and want to become a Watchmaker? Rolex has a sensational school.
www.RolexWatchmakingTrainingCenter.com/

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2021, 11:16 PM   #21
ts3
"TRF" Member

My experience with Henri Stern is limited to one of their watchmakers doing stuff on the side for a preowned dealer on 47th st. Had to be quick as these guys have no time and there were no complaints.

FWIW, the Patek service center in Munich has been spot on in terms of expected vs actual service time. Servicing a 315 powered watch took a little over 2 months a few years ago and just regulating a 324 took about 4 weeks last year.

According to more recent reports Patek does offer laser welding after all. Not sure if Henri Stern would do it or only the mothership in Geneva. Munich were quite reluctant when I inquired a few years ago.
ts3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2021, 12:23 AM   #22
Billfav
"TRF" Member

Service time - last year for me ...

Quote:
This one is a lot less than $40k. I meant general trading. But thank you for the contribution and guidance. Any idea if Patek quoted times are accurate VS actual? I know some brands are way off here which is what I'm worried about. BTW I'm from YVR too!
Sent a 3940PC off for a full service prior to purchase. Turnaround was shockingly about 3 months.
Billfav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2021, 12:15 PM   #23
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by melhk View Post
Seems to be that because I don't see any wrist or collection pics from OP ever, to back his/her ownership experience. He/she seems to have an issue with fanboys in a watch forum and get triggered easily over a fair question
Old 28 August 2021, 01:56 PM   #24
WatchEater666
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Seems to be that because I don't see any wrist or collection pics from OP ever, to back his/her ownership experience. He/she seems to have an issue with fanboys in a watch forum and get triggered easily over a fair question
You’re literally a crayon eater. I posted one of my APs here recently lol