The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 14 April 2018, 01:11 AM   #31
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
even the name Big Bang should be easily identifiable.
I suspect it’s a reference to the beginning of our Cosmic Universe, and with JCB’s referring to the screws on the bezel as being chaotic/random orientation, it’s further reinforced in that respect – think of the phrase we’re all probably familiar with, “out of chaos, comes order”.
I thought it just meant its a chick magnet and you will increase your chances of closing the deal with one on your wrist
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2018, 03:55 AM   #32
Royalex
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmoor View Post
Hublot makes an excellent watch. They use cool materials that make them stand out amongs other manufacturers. Never understood why people care that they look similar to another watch brand. I mean it's a watch, how much different can they look? As to the movements, some are not in house manufactured. But some APs aren't either. Please keep in mind with the exception of certain Rolex ss models, resale on most Swiss watches will not be that great. So buy what you like and enjoy. I have Rolex, tag, breitling, hublot and AP in my collection and I enjoy them all!
Agree
Royalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2018, 04:08 AM   #33
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

on a side note i got an email from Harrods today... EVERY Hublot is on sale due to "excess stock". I have never been notified of a high end watch sale ever... that says it all. Discounts are one thing, but a luxury item on sale... thats a really, really bad sign.

High stock of Limited Editions.... you cant be serious
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg Untitled.jpeg (81.2 KB, 456 views)
File Type: jpeg Untitled2.jpeg (76.5 KB, 456 views)
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
Old 18 April 2018, 04:20 AM   #34
dmash
"TRF" Member

Hahahaha, high stock levels on 'limited edition' pieces LOLOL
dmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2018, 04:36 AM   #35
MP5
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

That the most pathetic thing I have ever seen. Its basically saying our LE numbers used to drive scarcity and justify the price needs to be recalculated to Ultra Limited Edition next year.
MP5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2018, 04:49 AM   #36
opawlows
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Tudor/Breit
I had the original Ice Bang years ago but quickly sold it. For me it was a novelty watch. Really wanted one because they seemed to be the "it watch". Bought one without trying it on, which was a big mistake. It never really wore right on my wrist. When I wore it, the ceramic case and rubber strap made me feel like I was wearing a G-shock.
opawlows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2018, 04:59 AM   #37
PJ S
Banned

Ignore the hyperbole, and besides which, high stock levels of LEs is all relative.
Could be the classic drive to increase footfall, by announcing a few (soon to be discontinued) models being offered at a discount.

All watches are a luxury item, by definition, but that’s to miss the obvious, which is that they are nothing more than a mere commodity – a means by which to extract money from consumers, and provide a lifestyle for the brand owner/CEO/etc, as well as employment to their staff.
Any other fanciful notions of what they are is sheer folly!
PJ S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2018, 05:16 AM   #38
PJ S
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP5 View Post
That the most pathetic thing I have ever seen. Its basically saying our LE numbers used to drive scarcity and justify the price needs to be recalculated to Ultra Limited Edition next year.
Unlikely – more likely to be a simple case of overproduction reflecting too ambitious a projected sales figure, or miscalculation as a result of poor market data/indicators.
Old 18 April 2018, 05:19 AM   #39
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Unlikely – more likely to be a simple case of overproduction reflecting too ambitious a projected sales figure, or miscalculation as a result of poor market data/indicators.
i still think its bad. I think when Patek did a price decrease a few years ago it was equally bad so its not just because its Hublot. Calling it a sale makes it worse to me as luxury and sale should really never be in the same sentence. In my view anyway.

I think curbing price increases and holding steady in the short term for a mistake is more sensible than admitting the mistake and cutting prices as then your customers lose confidence in the brand as now their watch retails for significantly less than it did last week.
Old 18 April 2018, 05:46 AM   #40
Wahlberg
"TRF" Member

I wouldn't buy one. I would wear the latest classic fusion though if someone gifted it.

What I do admire is that they keep pushing out watches and nothing stays the same. Doesn't mean they make a lot of good looking watches but they try to mix it up, evolve, change, adjust, ... A lot of brands (not only watches) could learn something from this.
Wahlberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2018, 05:49 AM   #41
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wahlberg View Post
I wouldn't buy one. I would wear the latest classic fusion though if someone gifted it.

What I do admire is that they keep pushing out watches and nothing stays the same. Doesn't mean they make a lot of good looking watches but they try to mix it up, evolve, change, adjust, ... A lot of brands (not only watches) could learn something from this.
i agree with this entirely. They are willing to take risks and that is admirable.
Old 18 April 2018, 06:01 AM   #42
Wesley Crusher
"TRF" Member

Hublot has some really cool materials (e.g., Magic Gold) and I like some of their designs, especially the newer Ferrari Big Bangs, but they do some really weird collabs and their marketing seems questionable.
Wesley Crusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2018, 09:38 AM   #43
lucevan le stelle
"TRF" Member

They take risks because they don't have much choice in my opinion. OK watches, just have not see much overwhelming enthusiasm for them.
lucevan le stelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2018, 10:14 PM   #44
PJ S
Banned

Worth taking the time to read, it may change blinkered viewpoints — http://www.watchprosite.com/page-wf....open_bLoB_s-0/
Old 9 May 2018, 02:26 AM   #45
marc12
Banned

Watch: Blue Steel SD
this is the only Hublot I would consider, it is also a true limited edition

marc12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2018, 05:02 AM   #46
Starwalker
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Daytona - BLACK
Because they appeal to the teenager in me. I like them, but I don’t think they mature well.
Old 9 May 2018, 06:53 AM   #47
PJ S
Banned

Quote:
Worth taking the time to read, it may change blinkered viewpoints…
http://www.watchprosite.com/page-wf....open_bLoB_s-0/ – seeing as the original was deleted and reposted for some unknown reason.
Old 9 May 2018, 07:11 AM   #48
RossHetherington
"TRF" Member

Because 5 minutes after they are release they date badly.
RossHetherington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2018, 01:26 PM   #49
DLRIDES
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Me
I actually like the Fusion line, especially the Classic Ultra Thin. The lack of detail quality is quite evident though.
Old 26 May 2018, 12:39 AM   #50
turbineboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Angelus, AP, Breit
Absolutely nothing about the brand or its product appeals to me. The whole brand is based on "flashy" attention grabbing tactics.
Now I am curious who the brand targets for sales and who actually wears them.
turbineboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2018, 07:32 AM   #51
TheRightWrist
Banned

Watch: Bregeut3357PT
Haters should take a look at the "spirit of big bang". its the new big bang, in a tonneau case, and my favorite part (what kept me from buying one in the past) it has a skeletonized el primero movement!
ive owned almost everything, and i can say without a doubt its the best fitting large watch, for my feeble schoolgirl -like wrists.
TheRightWrist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2018, 08:01 AM   #52
Rsubnodate
"TRF" Member

They don’t hold there value
Rsubnodate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2018, 05:38 PM   #53
PJ S
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rsubnodate View Post
They don’t hold their value
Spoken like a true appreciator of watches and cognoscenti of the hobby!
Tell us, aside from SS Rolex and Patek “sports” watches, which other brands are supreme holders of their MSRP?

Is it Chopard LUC?
Or Girard-Perregaux, perhaps?
What about Piaget?
Roger Dubuis, surely?
Ok then, it must be Vacheron Constantin’s Overseas (all 3 generations)?
Old 26 May 2018, 07:59 PM   #54
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Spoken like a true appreciator of watches and cognoscenti of the hobby!
Tell us, aside from SS Rolex and Patek “sports” watches, which other brands are supreme holders of their MSRP?

Is it Chopard LUC?
Or Girard-Perregaux, perhaps?
What about Piaget?
Roger Dubuis, surely?
Ok then, it must be Vacheron Constantin’s Overseas (all 3 generations)?
dmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2018, 08:33 PM   #55
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rsubnodate View Post
They don’t hold there value
ive sold several Rolex watches and lost money on every single one. Sell a Sky dweller or a BLNR or a SD43 to a secondary dealer in the UK (the above retail capital of the world) and you will get less than MSRP. So they do not hold value as much as the forum would lead you to believe. They might depreciate less, but you still lose money unless you are an established reseller already and can get the going rate for your watch which is almost no one.
Old 26 May 2018, 10:04 PM   #56
MrWeha
"TRF" Member

Rolex are tool watches

Hublot are tool's watches

;)
MrWeha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2018, 02:53 PM   #57
gte217e
"TRF" Member

Hublot is a weird company. MOST of their watches are wacky and weird. I don't care for denim, camoflauge, diamond, and bedazzled watches. The Hublot watches I like are their more subdue lineup.
I have had only a few watches. A Rolex Datejust II, IWC Ingeniuer Chrono, IWC Ingenieur dual time, Rolex Batman GMTII, and Rolex Daytona.
Recently I picked up a Hublot Unico with Magic Gold bezel and matte finish ceramic case.
I wear the Hublot the most. I like the size, the matte finish ceramic case, and the magic gold bezel. I was mostly drawn to the magic gold because I love that it exists.
The Meca 10 movement looks three dimensional when viewed in person and I probably would have gotten that one if I was able to find one at the right price.

Most of the Hublot watches I see on sale or on consignment are the wacky versions with leopard print. For others, as long as you can get a 50 - 60% discount off retail I'd say you are okay and would be able to unload it for what you bought it for or lose a little after wearing it for a few years.

I never wear suits and I'm never around watch people so the watch I choose to wear is the one I enjoy looking at the most. That happens to be this particular Hublot. When I do need to wear a suit, Rolex is the only watch I have that fits under the sleeve.
gte217e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2018, 04:19 PM   #58
eonflux
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet knight View Post
Design too derivative of AP Royal Oak?
Derivative of the AP RO, and of the Patek Nautilus (left case protrusion), and the IWC Ingenieur (Genta, round bezel with holes/screws).
eonflux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2018, 10:14 PM   #59
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eonflux View Post
Derivative of the AP RO, and of the Patek Nautilus (left case protrusion), and the IWC Ingenieur (Genta, round bezel with holes/screws).
I never understood this mentality. It's okay for companies to rip off the design of their competition (Nautilus ripping off the RO) because they hired Genta to do it? So, if Hublot wanted to copy the RO, they just needed to hire Genta to design a derivative of his original work? Then it's okay?

instagram.com/ct_watch_guy
_speedmaster_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2018, 10:57 PM   #60
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by _speedmaster_ View Post
I never understood this mentality. It's okay for companies to rip off the design of their competition (Nautilus ripping off the RO) because they hired Genta to do it? So, if Hublot wanted to copy the RO, they just needed to hire Genta to design a derivative of his original work? Then it's okay?
not to get into anything too deep, but basically Hublot is french for "porthole" so their entire basis for existing is to capitalize on the porthole theme watch. Some companies borrow and cross over in certain areas, and some make their entire basis for existing on something else... i think that is the issue primarily

They don't really have a signature case design they came up with. AFAIK they put rubber on the watch first, so that is their contribution in the original idea field.