The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 27 July 2017, 11:48 AM   #1
Foxman2k
"TRF" Member

Any tips on purchasing 5711 or 12 from AD?

The AD I bought my Rolex SubC also carries PP, but the Nautilus 5711/12 apparently up to 2 years?

I'm in the MA area, anyone have any other ADs or route they might suggest?

And what is the msrp for the 5712?

I'm considering these vs a AP ROO but already have a 15400 and am selling quite a few other watches to help fund this, so feeling like Patek might be the way to go.
Foxman2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2017, 12:26 PM   #2
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxman2k View Post
The AD I bought my Rolex SubC also carries PP, but the Nautilus 5711/12 apparently up to 2 years?

I'm considering these vs a AP ROO but already have a 15400 and am selling quite a few other watches to help fund this, so feeling like Patek might be the way to go.
The 2016 US MSRP is posted on page 3 (post #74) of the sticky thread here:

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthre...=235776&page=3

As far as the 5711/5712 Nautilus, some people have reported success in calling all the US ADs and asking that their names to be added to the waiting list and have received a piece sooner than what their local AD told them. Also ask your local AD, if they would offer a piece sooner if you put down a large deposit on the watch. Some people have reported success with this method as well.
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2017, 03:15 AM   #3
SpeedyTuomas
"TRF" Member

You can put your name on the list and wait (if they are ok with this, some are if you do not have a history with said AD) or buy secondhand/grey with a premium.
SpeedyTuomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2017, 03:41 AM   #4
Defiancekofb
"TRF" Member

Depending where you are on the list it's usually a 10-15 month wait for a 5711 in US ADs. Either Blue or White dials. In Europe I believe it's 3-5 years depending on the connections you have.
Defiancekofb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2017, 03:44 AM   #5
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Well you can try trusted sellers on this site.

Otherwise you need to have your funds ready and put your name on some lists with AD's.

I was fortunate that my AD had one when I was ready.
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2017, 03:58 AM   #6
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
I got my 5712 in 3 months, and 5711 7 months later, but he did it because I also got a 5167R which I could have gotten for cheaper elsewhere, fidelity pays.
I would call all the ad's in the US, might get lucky, in Europe no way, even in CH much harder than before, and most will reserve these pieces in priority for their best clients
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2017, 04:16 AM   #7
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
5712 will be quicker to get, tho this is getting harder to source too, plus it has a more differentiating dial to the bare RO, so would be my pick. Then sell the RO for a ROO.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2017, 08:21 AM   #8
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

Put your name down with your AD, wait 2 years (hopefully less) and enjoy the expectation of the arrival.
Russell996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2017, 11:09 AM   #9
texex91
"TRF" Member

Tip: Pay as little as possible.
texex91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2017, 11:10 AM   #10
Foxman2k
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by texex91 View Post

Foxman2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2017, 04:26 AM   #11
spiker
"TRF" Member

How do you pay as little as possible when all AD's are selling for list? I'm trying to figure out how not to pay the tax!
spiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2017, 05:33 AM   #12
texasmade
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP RO 15400, FOIS
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiker View Post
How do you pay as little as possible when all AD's are selling for list? I'm trying to figure out how not to pay the tax!
Ship it to another state where your AD doesn't have a brick and mortar store.
texasmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2017, 10:07 AM   #13
mps354
2024 Pledge Member

I'd just wait on the list. I think you might get it faster than the estimate, as I believe many potential buyers are on multiple lists
mps354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2017, 10:13 AM   #14
brmeyers
"TRF" Member

Watch: ...Your Thoughts
Some ADs that get less volume and are allocated a couple a year you can luck out.
You really have to call around.
When I got my blue 5711 from an AD it was after calling every single AD in Florida and getting on the list for both a 5711 and a 5167.
Most likely you'll have to wait for at least 6 months to a year or longer for MSRP.
So like the Rolex 116500, this is a watch where the best price will ALWAYS be from an AD.
brmeyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2017, 10:58 AM   #15
masyv6
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by texex91 View Post
I second this advice

Quote:
Ship to a state where the AD isn't located. You'll find many examples of people on this forum doing just that to avoid sales tax.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mps354 View Post
I'd just wait on the list. I think you might get it faster than the estimate, as I believe many potential buyers are on multiple lists
People often have their name on multiple lists and frequently don't have the cash available when their phone does ring.
masyv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2017, 11:11 AM   #16
martinr
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by masyv6 View Post

People often have their name on multiple lists and frequently don't have the cash available when their phone does ring.
Exactly what happened when I bought a blue dial 5711, the guy that ordered it cancelled and the saleswoman put it in the case and I walked in and whipped out my credit card.
martinr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2017, 11:36 AM   #17
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
I went into the store after a nice lunch to look at Vacheron and a salesperson I knew said check this out and pulled a 5712 out from hiding. It came home with me.
codecow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2017, 11:53 AM   #18
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by codecow View Post
I went into the store after a nice lunch to look at Vacheron and a salesperson I knew said check this out and pulled a 5712 out from hiding. It came home with me.
Those are the best! It pays to stay in contact with the AD often provided you aren't a prick
Old 5 August 2017, 03:43 AM   #19
spiker
"TRF" Member

Well I received an answer from the AD I contacted and they at first wanted a 50% deposit. After a few emails the deposit is down to 25%. They also said that I'm 2nd on the list but they cannot confirm when or how long before the piece comes in. I'm on the fence on whether I should give them the 25% for an indefinite amount of time. The deposit is refundable for any reason though.
Old 6 August 2017, 06:06 AM   #20
SpeedyTuomas
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Well I received an answer from the AD I contacted and they at first wanted a 50% deposit. After a few emails the deposit is down to 25%. They also said that I'm 2nd on the list but they cannot confirm when or how long before the piece comes in. I'm on the fence on whether I should give them the 25% for an indefinite amount of time. The deposit is refundable for any reason though.
Personally I would not be fine with an AD having that kind of sum of my money with no guarantee of ever getting the watch. I am on two lists and have not been required to put down a deposit.
Old 24 August 2017, 08:06 PM   #21
walds11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyTuomas View Post
Personally I would not be fine with an AD having that kind of sum of my money with no guarantee of ever getting the watch. I am on two lists and have not been required to put down a deposit.
As long as it's a legit, long standing AD, I would not have any problems leaving that amount of a refundable deposit. Deposits get preferential treatment over just a name on a list IMO. Money talks, bullsh*t walks
Old 24 August 2017, 09:37 PM   #22
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by walds11 View Post
As long as it's a legit, long standing AD, I would not have any problems leaving that amount of a refundable deposit. Deposits get preferential treatment over just a name on a list IMO. Money talks, bullsh*t walks
For second, I'd place a deposit.
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2017, 09:55 PM   #23
walds11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap1 View Post
For second, I'd place a deposit.
Absolutely
Old 24 August 2017, 09:57 PM   #24
Abdullasaif
"TRF" Member

Watch: bipolar
its 4-6 years here in Dubai so i guess patience is the game or the grey market
Abdullasaif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2017, 10:14 PM   #25
Dlanz
"TRF" Member

Hi,

I was lucky enough to wait a matter of weeks for my 5711 from my AD. I've put this down to quite a bit of luck and also having a good relationship with my AD. You'll stand a better chance, I think, if you stick to local ADs and avoid going down on multiple lists. Patek like to know they are selling to local customers with a genuine passion for the brand, and are not in it for flipping it. Hope that helps.
Dlanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2017, 05:41 AM   #26
spiker
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyTuomas View Post
The AD did say that I didn't have to place a deposit and they would call me if I wanted to see the watch first before I would buy it. But the watch would go to the people that placed a deposit. Kind of stands to reason - so I placed the deposit. Since I'm 2nd on the list I'm hoping that 2 of the 5712's come in at the same time!
Old 25 August 2017, 05:44 AM   #27
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlanz View Post
Hi,

I was lucky enough to wait a matter of weeks for my 5711 from my AD. I've put this down to quite a bit of luck and also having a good relationship with my AD. You'll stand a better chance, I think, if you stick to local ADs and avoid going down on multiple lists. Patek like to know they are selling to local customers with a genuine passion for the brand, and are not in it for flipping it. Hope that helps.
relationships matter in the UK at least, a lot. It took me a while to settle on one AD instead of jumping around to where i could get the best deal. In the end its worth it as you can actually get pieces that you couldn't otherwise and in much quicker timeframes. I waited less than two weeks for my 5712. It was a combination of luck (delivery date) and relationship as I'm sure I'm not the only one who was after one.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2017, 07:00 AM   #28
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
You are in the US, the easiest place to get one, call AD's and see what they say, saying you are ready to pay in full in advance might help a lot
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2017, 04:37 AM   #29
watchuntiltheend
"TRF" Member

try latin america or caribbean..may be they can ship it

Quote:

watchuntiltheend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2017, 12:28 AM   #30
SpeedyTuomas
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by walds11 View Post
I would but that is a personal choice.