The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 6 November 2017, 12:40 AM   #31
douglasf13
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by superstarmar View Post
Ok, I’ve been in several caves ... it was cold from what I remember.
Wore a long sleeve jacket covering my watch . Unless one would plan on
living in a cave I still don’t see the need ... Unless one would be
adamant on a fixed bezel which I am not so it really comes down to
personal preference...

Edit , now it’s a life or death scenario not a cave... ok
Life or death comes suddenly and unexpectedly so it’s really
a mute point ... OP , like the gentlemen said... get what you like
in the end it’s your money and your wrist!!! You have to enjoy
what you purchase...
I’m simply pointing out the reason for the fixed bezel. “Being in” several caves doesn’t sound like you’ve spent days underground. Also, there are expeditions where the sun may not go up or down. There’s a reason he used an Exp II, despite the GMT dial:

Or why he didn’t want his bezel popping off when banging against a rock:
douglasf13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2017, 01:30 AM   #32
F308gt4
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR Modificata
Quote:
Originally Posted by rph08 View Post
If it's between the BLNR and current 42mm Explorer II, then I'd go BLNR every single time. Now, choosing between the polar 16570 and BLNR would be a bit tough for me.
Agree. The 42mm explorer2 just doesn’t do it for me, and I think the orange hand is a bit garish.
F308gt4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2017, 02:07 AM   #33
jstan9
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJaber View Post
Hello,

I've been thinking about adding the Exp II Polar for a while now and right when i was about to pull the trigger i was offered an GMT II BLNR at full retail from an AD and knowing how hard it is to get one I'm kinda learning towards it.

i love both with a slight edge to the Polar as i do lots of hiking, rock climbing and snowmobiling and kinda like the idea of owning a true tool watch but the Batman is such pretty watch. My thinking is since the Batman is very difficult to find maybe i should go with it for now and if it doesn't make me forget the explorer i can always flip it (at no loss???).

What do you guys think?

I had a similar dilemma when I started with Rolex. At the time the polar explorer II was a hot watch (1999/2000) and they couldn’t get one into Tourneau in Manhattan (53 and lex) for almost two years. I upgraded to a SS/PL Yachtmaster and couldn’t have been happier.

But I always longed for the 24 hour complication and the simple elegance of the explorer (and for the record I love the 40mm ex II much more than the new 42mm version with the large orange gmt hand).

Fast forward to 2017. I bought a BLNR Batman that was available, im told, for a few minutes this past June.

Again, I can’t be happier.

Though the Batman is blingier, it’s still a rugged Rolex tool watch. The defining factor for you, I’d suggest, would be aesthetics (which pulls more at your heart) and the bezel.

Both have the 24 bezel but the BLNR rotates. I have found this to be a hidden surprise. Not that it rotates but that I use it so much.

You may not. I didn’t expect to!

Here’s how. I live in the Bay Area. I keep my 24 hour hand set to California (pacific) time.

My partner is in the eastern time zone, three hours ahead. Without manipulating anything I can simply rotate my bezel three clicks/hours ahead and now my gmt hand shows me eastern time at a glance. It’s really useful. The picture attached shows this use-case. It’s 9:15 or so in California and at a glance I see it’s just after noon in the eastern time zone because I have the bezel advanced three clicks, or three hours.

In the end they are both incredible pieces. Both beautiful. Both rugged. You can’t go wrong. I point out the rotating bezel to show you a use-case I hadn’t expected to use and one which I find wonderfully useful and very easy to manage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 6 November 2017, 03:57 AM   #34
MJaber
"TRF" Member

Watch: Romain Gauthier
Thank you all for your thoughtful responses- I honestly love both equally but that might change once I actually have it for a while. My reasoning behind favouring th BLNR is the fact that I can flip it for very minimal loss - I’m not a flipper and have no idea how true this actually is- in the case I can just purchase the Explorer II and call it a day.

As for current collection:
Omega Speednastee Moonwatch(Hesalite)
Rolex Explorer MK 2-this will be gifted to my brother as I had it twice and it n very stuck.
ALS Saxonia Thin 37mm in RG
MJaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2017, 04:27 AM   #35
Uhtred59
"TRF" Member

Watch: 216570
Wow for two similar watches you have recieved a lot of advice. My two cents, having owned a GMT and now an EXP II. I was never afraid to take the GMT into hazardous environments and continue the tradition with the EXP II. As a pretty watch I think the GMT has it, though I find the readability of the new EXP II much better. Though I have the black faced one.
Old 6 November 2017, 04:34 AM   #36
Zestywesley
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstan9 View Post
I had a similar dilemma when I started with Rolex. At the time the polar explorer II was a hot watch (1999/2000) and they couldn’t get one into Tourneau in Manhattan (53 and lex) for almost two years. I upgraded to a SS/PL Yachtmaster and couldn’t have been happier.

But I always longed for the 24 hour complication and the simple elegance of the explorer (and for the record I love the 40mm ex II much more than the new 42mm version with the large orange gmt hand).

Fast forward to 2017. I bought a BLNR Batman that was available, im told, for a few minutes this past June.

Again, I can’t be happier.

Though the Batman is blingier, it’s still a rugged Rolex tool watch. The defining factor for you, I’d suggest, would be aesthetics (which pulls more at your heart) and the bezel.

Both have the 24 bezel but the BLNR rotates. I have found this to be a hidden surprise. Not that it rotates but that I use it so much.

You may not. I didn’t expect to!

Here’s how. I live in the Bay Area. I keep my 24 hour hand set to California (pacific) time.

My partner is in the eastern time zone, three hours ahead. Without manipulating anything I can simply rotate my bezel three clicks/hours ahead and now my gmt hand shows me eastern time at a glance. It’s really useful. The picture attached shows this use-case. It’s 9:15 or so in California and at a glance I see it’s just after noon in the eastern time zone because I have the bezel advanced three clicks, or three hours.

In the end they are both incredible pieces. Both beautiful. Both rugged. You can’t go wrong. I point out the rotating bezel to show you a use-case I hadn’t expected to use and one which I find wonderfully useful and very easy to manage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What a stunning piece, I don't know what's more useful for me though, the timing bezel or GMT function.
Zestywesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2017, 07:02 AM   #37
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJaber View Post
Thank you all for your thoughtful responses- I honestly love both equally but that might change once I actually have it for a while. My reasoning behind favouring th BLNR is the fact that I can flip it for very minimal loss - I’m not a flipper and have no idea how true this actually is- in the case I can just purchase the Explorer II and call it a day.

As for current collection:
Omega Speednastee Moonwatch(Hesalite)
Rolex Explorer MK 2-this will be gifted to my brother as I had it twice and it n very stuck.
ALS Saxonia Thin 37mm in RG
If equal then go for the BLNR which in a few months even in the US might be tough to get hold of, plus it is easy to sell into the Exp2 if that is how things go down.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2017, 07:07 AM   #38
MariettaMike
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II BLRO
I am partial to Explorer II with white face.
MariettaMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2017, 08:29 AM   #39
MariettaMike
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II BLRO
I’m partial...
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 86A1A269-ECB4-473E-85CB-D9CAE3F1BAC8.jpeg (70.2 KB, 318 views)
MariettaMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2017, 08:32 AM   #40
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

I like both but the blnr is a nicer watch...but personally I'd never take these type of watches on harsh activities like mountain climbing...so I guess you'd have to make that call.
sensui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2017, 09:33 AM   #41
No SUBctitute
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I

Why do you keep the 24 hour hand on the time zone you are in? If you set it to EST then you wouldn't even have to move the bezel. Now, if you live in the sewage tunnels under the bay area without any light then the 24 hour hand set to your current time zone would be useful.
No SUBctitute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2017, 09:39 AM   #42
scarlet knight
"TRF" Member

Watch: Good ones
I have both. I wear the Explorer more, but glad I have both.
scarlet knight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2017, 12:21 PM   #43
No SUBctitute
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by superstarmar View Post
Ok, I’ve been in several caves ... it was cold from what I remember.
Wore a long sleeve jacket covering my watch . Unless one would plan on
living in a cave I still don’t see the need ... Unless one would be
adamant on a fixed bezel which I am not so it really comes down to
personal preference...
Why is an Explorer II better in a cave than a GMT for purposes of knowing AM and PM?
Old 6 November 2017, 12:37 PM   #44
douglasf13
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by No SUBctitute View Post
Why is an Explorer II better in a cave than a GMT for purposes of knowing AM and PM?
The turning bezel is less durable and can pop off more easily when banging it around. That's why a lot of cavers, climbers, polar explorers, etc. used them.
douglasf13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2017, 01:48 PM   #45
jstan9
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by No SUBctitute View Post
Why do you keep the 24 hour hand on the time zone you are in? If you set it to EST then you wouldn't even have to move the bezel. Now, if you live in the sewage tunnels under the bay area without any light then the 24 hour hand set to your current time zone would be useful.
Interesting question. My example for the op was that a quick twist of the bezel was useful with a traveling better-half.

When I bought the blnr in June I set the 24 hour hand to Stockholm time so I’d always know at a glance if it was too late to text my relatives in Sweden.

After a few weeks I realized that with travel it’s actually easier to keep the gmt hand set at your anchor or reference time. Then you just jump the hour hand when you travel or rotate the bezel when you want to know at a glance another time zone, either your partner, or a video conference with London, whatever.

There’s no wrong answer, of course, but I’ve found the bezel much more useful than I ever imagined it would be.

Thank you, rolex. This is a superlative machine!

Last edited by jstan9; 6 November 2017 at 01:50 PM.. Reason: Typos
jstan9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2017, 01:53 PM   #46
jstan9
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zestywesley View Post
What a stunning piece, I don't know what's more useful for me though, the timing bezel or GMT function.
I’m with you. I use the timing bezel on my YM a lot. All in All, for me, the gmt is just so damned useful and easy and fun but there are times when wearing my Batman that is wish I had the simple timing bezel of my yachtmaster.
jstan9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2017, 02:15 PM   #47
Seaswirl
"TRF" Member

Sounds like you want the ExpII so that would be my choice. I can’t imagine wanting to rock climb while wearing a good watch let alone one with PCLs.
Seaswirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2017, 02:46 PM   #48
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
I don't like the movement in either of those so not for me.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2017, 08:34 AM   #49
No SUBctitute
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Interesting question. My example for the op was that a quick twist of the bezel was useful with a traveling better-half.

When I bought the blnr in June I set the 24 hour hand to Stockholm time so I’d always know at a glance if it was too late to text my relatives in Sweden.

After a few weeks I realized that with travel it’s actually easier to keep the gmt hand set at your anchor or reference time. Then you just jump the hour hand when you travel or rotate the bezel when you want to know at a glance another time zone, either your partner, or a video conference with London, whatever.

There’s no wrong answer, of course, but I’ve found the bezel much more useful than I ever imagined it would be.

Thank you, rolex. This is a superlative machine!
Hmmmm...okay, just curious. Thanks!
Old 7 November 2017, 08:34 AM   #50
No SUBctitute
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by douglasf13 View Post
The turning bezel is less durable and can pop off more easily when banging it around. That's why a lot of cavers, climbers, polar explorers, etc. used them.
Okay. Thanks!
Old 7 November 2017, 08:39 AM   #51
faz
"TRF" Member

Watch: like'em all
OP, will you really take a EXPII rock climbing??

I had a DateJust that I wore 3 years in a row, and own a TT submariner now that I wore for near 10 years, and did ALL activities with them on, and no problems whatsoever.

Mind you, I am not a rock climber and will never wear a Rolex of any kind on rock climbing activities, but other than that, things like hiking or white water rafting or skiing or ... I wouldn't hesitate to do them with a Datejust on, never mind a sport watch like GMT.

Instagram @fazmoto
faz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2017, 08:51 AM   #52
GMT Aviator
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Ok, so I travel a lot being a pilot and my wife is often in another time zone as well and not the Home reference time. My GMT does exactly what it says on the tin.
I always keep the GMT hand on GMT. Everything related to international flight from a pilots perspective is anchored to GMT. As it happens, I also live in the Grenwich Meridian, so GMT IS my home time. The GMT Master allows me to track the three differing time zones....GMT, my time zone and then my wife’s, simultaneously with just a quick turn of the Bezel.
The Explorer 2 which I also own, is a handsome watch for sure and I love it. Mine is a black dial. It allows the tracking of two time zones only, which for most people is more than enough.
I honestly rely on my GMT Master as my flying ‘tool’ watch. It does this very well.
Outside of my flying environment, I prefer a Datejust 2 the most because of its simple elegance, but my Explorer 2 42mm is my other ‘tool’ watch I wear in the absence of the others. I love the dial in the Explorer and I prefer its GMT hand over the green arrow that’s on my GMT because it’s bold and easier to see.
Given the choice of the BLNR or the Explorer, if I didn’t use a GMT Master like I do mine to track me, my wife and Zulu time frequently, then I would buy the Explorer.
GMT Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2017, 10:28 AM   #53
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
Buy the watch you want, not the one you think is better to own.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2017, 03:01 PM   #54
Travelhomedad
"TRF" Member

Can’t go wrong with either. If you can get a blnr, try it and it will still be easy to let it go.
Travelhomedad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2017, 09:39 PM   #55
RRGHOST1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex TT SubC Blue
Prefer the white Explorer2 to be honest, can never understand the hype around the BLNR
Old 7 November 2017, 10:50 PM   #56
yannis
"TRF" Member

Watch: maniac
Add BLNR now and get the Explorer after that. Nice combo & different dials; the BLNR can be used as your more "dressy" watch. Use a Fenix or any other smart watch for sports. I would not use an Explorer for action because i am the obsessive compulsive disorderly type.

yannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 November 2017, 12:47 AM   #57
chiapy
"TRF" Member

Hi all
First post and this comes at the back of receiving the 16570 polar (random) last of the last model. Got it from Thanh Do aka Takuya who was extremely patient and professional in the deal. A true go-to guy.

Was fretting over the old and the new model but landed on the old version due to it more understated yet a marvel of engineering, running on the venerable 3186. I have the 116710LN for a while. Not exactly the Batman but had all the characteristics. A beauty in it's own right but the bigger, bulkier built at times seems to calling out for attention and I would imagine more so with the Blue-Black ceramic. The 16570 polar in comparison have this rather quite and steady demeanor. Even with the older bracelet and clasp, you know this beauty will take the heat for you. Definitely something to add to the collection if possible. Hard pressed to decided on the 2
chiapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2018, 01:25 PM   #58
Aces Full
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blue Sky-Dweller
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRGHOST1 View Post
Prefer the white Explorer2 to be honest, can never understand the hype around the BLNR
Ditto!!! Batman is too Blingy. Explorer is quietly elegant!!! I was offered the BLNR at MSRP, and chose the Polar Exp II. I have 2 other Rolex's, but wear the Exp II the most!!!
Aces Full is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2018, 01:44 PM   #59
wisguy
"TRF" Member

Very different, mostly comes down for size, I owned the ExpII (5 and 6 digit reference) and have the Batman right now... so you know my vote.
Old 22 April 2018, 01:44 PM   #60
Hard_Six
"TRF" Member

Watch: those three’s roll
Between those two I'd go BLNR but I'm not a huge explorer fan. The PCL's might not make the best match for rock climbing but I'm not sure that BCL's would either. A g-shock would be more appropriate for that type of activity IMO. Either way, I prefer the BLNR. Good luck in your purchase
Hard_Six is offline   Reply With Quote