The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 29 March 2018, 04:10 PM   #1
debner4
"TRF" Member

FP Journe Chronometre Bleu— Any regrets?

I am thinking about purchasing an FP Journe Chronometre Bleu as I think it may be perfect for what I want, which is a high-end watch with an interesting dial that I can wear as a dressy casual option above my no date Submariner, but below, or at least different than my Patek 5712. I also really want a manual watch to add to my collection.

It seems the Journe can be dressed up or down, particularly with different straps, and would fit this role in my collection nicely. I am also considering a Patek 5167, but I think I favor the Journe, especially because I already have a 5712A.

I’m curious for those who have purchased the Chronometre Bleu if they later regretted it for any reason or otherwise tired of the dial, etc. Any and all insight is appreciated.
debner4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2018, 04:44 PM   #2
Helmi
"TRF" Member

No regrets at all, perfect watch, very comfy, tantalum is amazing, blue dial is one of the best in business if not THE best. Movement is gorgeous. No comparison between it and the 5167 imho , the CB is miles ahead. It is a little boring to have to wind it every other day but who cares. Go for it you will be happy
Helmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2018, 10:30 PM   #3
jessiethe3rd
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Chronometre Bleu
Following as I am on a list!

All the insight is appreciated! Thanks to the original poster!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 29 March 2018, 11:04 PM   #4
Jay (Eire)
2024 Pledge Member

No regrets. I've said numerous times on the forums that the CB is the most versatile watch I own (although the Nautilus is a close second). It's been my go to travel watch for a number of years, again the Nautilus is second choice.

A large reason I say this is that the CB is the perfect sized watch for me, and so others may not have the same level of enthusiasm.

The other comment I would make is that the CB is a relatively liquid watch in that price bracket. But if you buy at retail you'll lose 20-35% on resale.

Some photos from a recent trip.

Jay (Eire) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2018, 11:21 PM   #5
tonupbklyn
"TRF" Member

if ur able to get ur hands one one, grab it! from what i understand the wait list is significant. and judging by the various forum classifieds, ebay and chrono24, i don't see a lot (any!) floating around in the secondary market.

as far as the watch itself...i don't think it's a comparison to the 5167. not a matter of better or worse, it's just a completely different piece. i think that the two can/should live in the same collection.
tonupbklyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2018, 11:24 PM   #6
jessiethe3rd
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay (Eire) View Post
No regrets. I've said numerous times on the forums that the CB is the most versatile watch I own (although the Nautilus is a close second). It's been my go to travel watch for a number of years, again the Nautilus is second choice.

A large reason I say this is that the CB is the perfect sized watch for me, and so others may not have the same level of enthusiasm.

The other comment I would make is that the CB is a relatively liquid watch in that price bracket. But if you buy at retail you'll lose 20-35% on resale.

I haven’t seen a used go for below $19,500.

8-10% max loss...

Old 29 March 2018, 11:28 PM   #7
Helmi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessiethe3rd View Post

8-10% max loss...

It depends to whom are you selling, if you're selling to a dealer yes 20-30 % loss is expected but selling to end user you will do much better. I have seen some pre-owned examples go at almost retail.
Old 30 March 2018, 12:18 AM   #8
tng11
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Lovely pictures and strap! I'm now really tempted to get the orange strap for summer/casual.
tng11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2018, 12:21 AM   #9
tng11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmi View Post
It depends to whom are you selling, if you're selling to a dealer yes 20-30 % loss is expected but selling to end user you will do much better. I have seen some pre-owned examples go at almost retail.
The last 2 on TRF have gone for very close to retail.

A grey dealer in my city offered me a premium for mine, which is awaiting collection in Geneva. No way I'm letting it go - I've lusted for one for the last 3 years and decided to say screw resale values, and go for what I actually like and want to wear.
Old 30 March 2018, 01:18 AM   #10
KKO
"TRF" Member

Absolutely no regrets :)

1) The color of the dial is very unique. Hard to capture in one photo.

2) best execution of Tantulum watch case I’ve seen

3) That movement

4) abundance of FPJ quick change straps allow the watch to take on many different personalities. These straps also work with other FPJ round case models.

5) something about owning an independent timepiece from a company whose namesake is still in charge.

Also the Aquanaut overlaps more in style/function with a Sub and Nautlius than the CB. Put on an Everest/Rubber B. Strap and even more so.

You won’t have trouble flipping either the 5167 or CB in the event it’s not for you.
KKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2018, 01:48 AM   #11
debner4
"TRF" Member

Quote:
No regrets at all, perfect watch, very comfy, tantalum is amazing, blue dial is one of the best in business if not THE best. Movement is gorgeous. No comparison between it and the 5167 imho , the CB is miles ahead. It is a little boring to have to wind it every other day but who cares. Go for it you will be happy
How is it to wind? Meaning, is it pleasant or a chore? Some watches like the ALS 1815 are pleasant to wind and have very little resistance whereas others, even in the same brand, like the ALS 1815 Up/Down are a chore.

I've wound the Journe Chronometre Souverain and found it to be in between the two ALS' I mention above. It isn't really a joy, but isn't a chore either. How does the CB compare, if you know?
Old 30 March 2018, 02:01 AM   #12
Jay (Eire)
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by debner4 View Post
How is it to wind? Meaning, is it pleasant or a chore? Some watches like the ALS 1815 are pleasant to wind and have very little resistance whereas others, even in the same brand, like the ALS 1815 Up/Down are a chore.

I've wound the Journe Chronometre Souverain and found it to be in between the two ALS' I mention above. It isn't really a joy, but isn't a chore either. How does the CB compare, if you know?

It's the same as the CS, they share the same movement. I'd describe it as firm.

Old 30 March 2018, 02:04 AM   #13
debner4
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Interesting that you mention using it as a travel watch as I am still in search for a go-to travel watch as my 5712A is sometimes a little too "nice" to travel with and the Rolex Sub is too bulky and ubiquitous to fit every trip (for instance a business trip). I have been thinking hard about a 5164A, but to be honest, although I travel often, I rarely travel more than 3 time zones away, so doing the math on the time back home takes less a second to do in my head-- not exactly a need for me to have a GMT function.

The lack of waterproof rating is a factor (compared to the 5167 or 5164), but not really a deal breaker as I don't usually swim on my work trips.

Do you change straps often? If so, how difficult is it to swap out the pin buckle each time (I know the bands are really easy to swap, but not as sure about the buckle).

Also, which Nautilus do you have?

Thanks in advance!
Old 30 March 2018, 02:07 AM   #14
Jay (Eire)
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

8-10% max loss...

Nobody knows the actual sales price, we only see the ask. I don't think everything, or even the majority, sell for the ask. But that's just my opinion.

Old 30 March 2018, 02:10 AM   #15
Jay (Eire)
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tng11 View Post

A grey dealer in my city offered me a premium for mine, which is awaiting collection in Geneva. No way I'm letting it go - I've lusted for one for the last 3 years and decided to say screw resale values, and go for what I actually like and want to wear.

Don't forget that there has been a little supply shortage on the CB for a while now due to the limited edition production and also an issue with the dial manufacturer. One could expect supply to pick up to regular levels and therefore if this happens it could have a negative impact on the recent price levels. ** Remember two CB's sold at auction last year for $27.5k. That's not normal.

Old 30 March 2018, 07:22 AM   #16
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

Have been thinking more about the CB myself as my wait on the 5711 list seems like it will go on and on. What is list price for a CB from an AD? Any idea on wait list time ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2018, 07:29 AM   #17
Helmi
"TRF" Member

Quote:

The crown is very thin and small compared to rolex watches. This is good from looks and wearing comfort point of view. But from winding point of view it is easy at the start but as the spring gets charged the resistance is built and it gets harder. Still manageable but not the best winding experience in the world. Not a deal breaker by any means
Old 30 March 2018, 07:35 AM   #18
Helmi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR16 View Post
Have been thinking more about the CB myself as my wait on the 5711 list seems like it will go on and on. What is list price for a CB from an AD? Any idea on wait list time ?

The rrp is 21600 CHF and they offer no discounts (my experience). The wait can differ from AD to another but in my case my local ad was not cooperative at all so I contacted fp journe Geneva saloon and they secured one for me in 3-4 months. Free overseas shipping as well. Great people and service.
Old 30 March 2018, 07:38 AM   #19
Helmi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tng11 View Post

If you let it go, you will regret it very much. Don't do that
Old 30 March 2018, 07:40 AM   #20
Helmi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Interesting that you mention using it as a travel watch as I am still in search for a go-to travel watch as my 5712A is sometimes a little too "nice" to travel with and the Rolex Sub is too bulky and ubiquitous to fit every trip (for instance a business trip). I have been thinking hard about a 5164A, but to be honest, although I travel often, I rarely travel more than 3 time zones away, so doing the math on the time back home takes less a second to do in my head-- not exactly a need for me to have a GMT function.

The lack of waterproof rating is a factor (compared to the 5167 or 5164), but not really a deal breaker as I don't usually swim on my work trips.

Do you change straps often? If so, how difficult is it to swap out the pin buckle each time (I know the bands are really easy to swap, but not as sure about the buckle).

Thanks in advance!

I don't see the cb as a travel watch to be honest.yes it is very comfy and easy to read but that job is handled by my 5164 which very few watch can match it's practicality and ease to adjust during traveling.
Old 30 March 2018, 08:42 AM   #21
jessiethe3rd
2024 Pledge Member

I have questions for the owners... this is an exhaustive list so answer what you feel like. Any feedback is greatly appreciated!

Do people compliment the CB (without showing the movement of course!) ?

Does the color change on the case over time?

How often do you wind - 1x a day or every other?

Does it scratch and have you tried polishing the tantalum case?

If you bought in a FP Journe store did they throw in anything extra? I heard the gloves come with but what about a loop?

How often do you wear the CB and how many watches do you have? Do you prefer it over those?

Have you swam with it or got it wet?

How do you store you watch?

Any other babd colors you are considering or any must haves (pictures if you’d like to show)?

How durable is the crystal? Have you nicked or scratched on accident?

What’s the likelihood you’ll sell your watch one day for another piece (if you had to and what if you didn’t need to?)

How has FP Journe been to work with after purchase? Have they followed up with you post purchase? Any event invites?

If you could change anything about the CB what would it be?

Thank you very much!!

Old 30 March 2018, 09:52 AM   #22
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
The rrp is 21600 CHF and they offer no discounts (my experience). The wait can differ from AD to another but in my case my local ad was not cooperative at all so I contacted fp journe Geneva saloon and they secured one for me in 3-4 months. Free overseas shipping as well. Great people and service.

JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2018, 10:21 AM   #23
Peterandwatches
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5167/15400/Sub/JLC
Thinking about adding one in the future too so will be monitoring this thread. It would basically be this or an ALS, if I can mentally justify it.
Peterandwatches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2018, 10:42 AM   #24
Jay (Eire)
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

Thanks in advance!
Over the last three years I think I've taken the CB as the travel watch 90% of the time. I have a number of GMTs and WT watches but I never once have taken them to travel (strange I know). The reason I take the CB is 1) it's versatile, dress up and down, work and pleasure, 2) the first comment is enhanced by easy strap change, 3) it's a very under the radar watch, nobody knows what it is no matter where in the world you are, 4) for me, the size, the fit of the watch on MY wrist make it one of these most comfortable watches I own and 5) that dial just never gets old!

The pin buckle is an easy change. As I mentioned above I often take another strap or two with me when traveling.

Re waterproof, for me not an issue. If I'm near the water I am wearing a Seiko, Swatch or a Garmin.

I have a 5711 White Dial. I was very interested in the Aquanaut travel time, a perfect travel companion perhaps. However it's too big for me.
Old 30 March 2018, 10:44 AM   #25
tonupbklyn
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I have questions for the owners... this is an exhaustive list so answer what you feel like. Any feedback is greatly appreciated!

Do people compliment the CB (without showing the movement of course!) ?

Does the color change on the case over time?

How often do you wind - 1x a day or every other?

Does it scratch and have you tried polishing the tantalum case?

If you bought in a FP Journe store did they throw in anything extra? I heard the gloves come with but what about a loop?

How often do you wear the CB and how many watches do you have? Do you prefer it over those?

Have you swam with it or got it wet?

How do you store you watch?

Any other babd colors you are considering or any must haves (pictures if you’d like to show)?

How durable is the crystal? Have you nicked or scratched on accident?

What’s the likelihood you’ll sell your watch one day for another piece (if you had to and what if you didn’t need to?)

How has FP Journe been to work with after purchase? Have they followed up with you post purchase? Any event invites?

If you could change anything about the CB what would it be?

Thank you very much!!

omg, r u looking for a watch or applying for a home mortgage?!
tonupbklyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2018, 10:48 AM   #26
jessiethe3rd
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonupbklyn View Post
omg, r u looking for a watch or applying for a home mortgage?!

I’m inquisitive... Can’t help it

Old 30 March 2018, 10:58 AM   #27
SROB
"TRF" Member

Bought one and moved on. Thought it was an excellent watch, can't say anything bad about it.

A Lang and Heyne is taking its place.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
SROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2018, 11:21 AM   #28
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
I’m inquisitive... Can’t help it

Attorney? If not you may have missed your calling
Old 30 March 2018, 11:21 AM   #29
tng11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
If you let it go, you will regret it very much. Don't do that
And much thanks to you for giving me the idea to get in touch with the Geneva boutique. It worked out well - I just waited 4 months and a few days after placing my deposit. The AD in my country told me it was a one year wait AND that it was a rule from FPJ I had to buy another FPJ piece before being allowed a CB.
Old 30 March 2018, 11:23 AM   #30
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
I like its playful nature but can't get past the "ghost hands".
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote