The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 20 April 2018, 12:55 AM   #31
joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
I buy only from a TS, always fully stickered and my name on the card. Overnight delivery on my doorstep.

The highly sought after SS models don't interest me so nowadays
I don't even consider going to an AD anymore, too much BS I don't want to hear.
Old 20 April 2018, 12:56 AM   #32
masyv6
2024 Pledge Member

It depends how much business you plan to do with either seller and how much access you want to the hard-to-get pieces.

Good luck finding a Daytona from a TS at retail. Good luck getting a good deal on a PM watch from an AD.
masyv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2018, 12:58 AM   #33
Token74
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
Buy from grey if you wish. But. Do not post anything in the future about being upset that you can't get on a list for a highly sought after watch!! Reap what you sow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Patek Philippe Nautilus 5990 - AP Royal Oak 15300 - AP Royal Oak 15450 Blue - AP Royal Oak 15450 Silver - AP Royal Oak Offshore 26480 - Royal Oak Offshore 15710 - Rolex Sea Dweller 116600 - Rolex Daytona 116519 - Rolex GMT 126710 BLRO - Omega Speedmaster Reduced - JLC Reverso GMT Moonphase - TAG Microtimer - Dent Pocket Watch - JLC Atmos Phases de lune
Token74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2018, 01:05 AM   #34
MCOSUB
"TRF" Member

Watch: A Few
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyz1245 View Post
In the US the warranty goes with the watch and as such Rolex will honor the warranty for the full 5 years whether you're the first or the 20th owner.

As for the delta between AD and TS only you can decide what thats worth for you. Personally I believe 500-1K is about right depending on the watch.
It seems as though there are just some on here that sleep better at night with their name on the Warranty card even though it shouldnt make a difference one way or the other. If you are keeping the watch forever and pass it down to family, then maybe your name on the card has some sentimental value to the one receiving it?

I have a great relationship with my TS and my AD. It works well for me and they both value my business.
Rolex Deep Blue Deep Sea Dweller 116660
Oris Great Barrier Reef #845/1000
MCOSUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2018, 01:06 AM   #35
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

IMO there is pretty much no spread that makes it worth it to me. Discounted pieces or ones at a premium. They both go together and if you are buying at a discount you are supporting the very same market that charges double retail for popular pieces.

So for me its either support it or don't, so i dont pick and chose when to go to a reseller.

People that use resellers, thats fine with me but i do think everyone is going to have to pick a side and stick with it for the long haul if this watch market continues on in the way it has. AD relationships are important so you need to put every purchase their way for the long term to get popular pieces at retail, or none, and just go grey every time.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2018, 01:19 AM   #36
DESH
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the numbers..
Pick an AD build a relationship, get watches at MSRP. that simple.
Old 20 April 2018, 03:08 AM   #37
JParm
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes!
You can get a brand new, unworn watch from a TS with all the proper documentation...so really the question becomes, is it worth $300-500 to have YOUR name on a card that will never really be seen? Not to me.
Old 20 April 2018, 03:23 AM   #38
Loevhagen
"TRF" Member

10%
Loevhagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2018, 03:31 AM   #39
liuk3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeezy14@hotmail.com View Post
You can get a brand new, unworn watch from a TS with all the proper documentation...so really the question becomes, is it worth $300-500 to have YOUR name on a card that will never really be seen? Not to me.
It is worth it to me since I plan on passing along everything box and papers to my children, and it would be nice for them and future generations to see my name on the original papers. My threshold is probably around a $1500-$2000 differential, but my AD in the past has been able to match or beat TS prices in the past on pieces that I was interested in. I don't know though if this is still the case anymore given the current SS shortages, but worst case scenario, the AD would charge me MSRP while grey sellers are charging a premium. I am fortunate as well in that there are an abundance of ADs in my area.

There is also something to be said about patronizing and supporting your local AD retail establishment where you examine and try on watches. I don't know if it is the best from a karma standpoint to solely use the AD retailer just to look at and try on watches, only to end up purchasing them from someone else online. There is a cost for them to hold the inventory that you examine and touch. If the price is close enough, I'll go AD.

I did buy a watch a while ago once from a TS because it was a discontinued model, and I must say it was a little conceptually disturbing wiring thousands of dollars to a total stranger. To me, that is a very real risk in that a deal could potentially go sour online. Fortunately, it was not a sum of money that would have been catastrophic to me if the person absconded with it. In the end, everything turned out great though with the TS transaction.
Old 20 April 2018, 03:37 AM   #40
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
500-1000
Old 20 April 2018, 03:43 AM   #41
Beauregard
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 116719BLRO
20%

If I can't get it at about 20% below retail from a grey market dealer than I'll just go to my AD where I can get it at 5% off retail.
Old 20 April 2018, 03:45 AM   #42
2nastie
"TRF" Member

Watch: Time Only
I think for me it depends on the total value spent as well as the particular watch brand and model. If its a below $7-8k watch, it usually about $1k as a threshold. Sub $15k probably $2k threshold. If it's a Rolex in particular, with resales value high/steady, I tend to opt for a new one from the AD. In addition to that I think it also depends on how long you are keeping the watch. If its short term, get pre-owned/grey so you don't end up taking a big bath on it. If it's long term, get new from the AD.

Comes down to personal preference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by c0de View Post
I am in the same shoes, I am on the hunt for an Explorer 1. Honestly, I was quoted under 6k from my AD before this whole shortage fiasco. At that point trusted sellers were selling mint (used, but mint) for 5.5k.

Today, I'm waiting for my AD to stock so I can pull the trigger, I doubt I'll get the same deal so maybe I can walk out for 6.5k, trusted sellers are selling mint for 6k..
I just picked up an Explorer 1 as well. For this situation, it depends where you are located. In Canada, the MSRP on the Explorer 1 is $7500 CAD or ($5600-5900 USD depending the exchange rate) vs. $6500 USD MSRP in the USA. When comparing my options for grey or slightly used I'm seeing $5,500+ since I have to mainly resort to the US market.

At that point, I can literally get a new watch from the AD for the same price as a preowned one. So I went to the AD picked one up a couple weeks ago.
2nastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2018, 03:52 AM   #43
siempreko
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sometimes
Are you factoring in a discount from the AD? If they are not offering a discount, then find the right AD (go to smaller, family owned AD).

siempreko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2018, 04:01 AM   #44
dave023
"TRF" Member

Watch: Classics
The price of a RSC service is my delta.
dave023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2018, 07:14 AM   #45
jaisonline
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5 digit models
Quote:
Originally Posted by zjd168 View Post
depends on how many watches you plan to purchase in the future. If you just want to have 1 or 2 watches in the foreseeable future then TS is fine. Any saving counts and their services are general good enough.

On the other hand if you want the hot models in the future and seriously building a collection, AD is the way to go. In long term you will spend less.

100% agree.
Additionally, the gray market of late is only helpful for PM and out of production models.
jaisonline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2018, 07:21 AM   #46
Vivalas
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
It would have to be quite a difference for me - I like the security of buying through an AD, my name on the certificate and overall experience.

Total piece of mind. Important to me, not to others though.
Vivalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2018, 07:46 AM   #47
Art 1
Banned

Watch: Rol/Seik/Tud/Omega
$300 to $500 I'm using an AD.
Art 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2018, 08:14 AM   #48
Rocket_Man
"TRF" Member

$500 with my name on the warranty card is where I'll go TS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeToWatch View Post
The WG Oysterflex is a good example of a watch that's better to buy from an AD than a grey. Retail is $28.8k, grey's are selling for around $27.5k BNIB. Even at list, it's worth buying at an AD to have your name on the card and ensure your warranty is honored.

The same goes for any Rolex...my AD claims Rolex may not honor warranties if your name isn't on the card.
Your AD is lying to you so you will buy from him. Not they kind of AD relationship I'd look for. What else do they lie to you about?
Rocket_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2018, 08:25 AM   #49
Colin G
"TRF" Member

Watch: 216570, 214270
Here in Canada my AD gave me a new Explorer for $500 more than what used are going for. This was in January of 2018.

Up here they seem to go for around $5900 CAD for a used MKI to $6500 CAD for MKII used. New I paid $7000 CAD tax and shipping in so it was a no brainer to buy from the AD and get new with full warranty.

lately I have found my AD can get me a new SS sports model for not much more or the same price as I can find used up here in Canada. I'll never buy used or from a grey market seller. In the USA it is probably different since you have so many more used watches for sale you could find a nice deal but up here pickings are slim.
Colin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2018, 08:26 AM   #50
T01
"TRF" Member

This may be the most subjective topic I've ever seen on this forum.....
T01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2018, 09:29 AM   #51
Brny11
"TRF" Member

Absolutely not. It should be a %. If I can get 5-10% brand new gray, maybe. Anything less, ordering it new. Cool experience through the right AD.

DaytonaC, maybe if I needed it. Explorer, no way.

Brny11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2018, 09:50 AM   #52
Speed
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brny11 View Post
Absolutely not. It should be a %. If I can get 5-10% brand new gray, maybe. Anything less, ordering it new. Cool experience through the right AD.

DaytonaC, maybe if I needed it. Explorer, no way.

Tell us about your coolest AD experience. Would you pay $300-500 out of pocket for whatever it was?
Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2018, 09:55 AM   #53
Aventura
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcjvr View Post
Hi Eveyone,

Looking to pull the trigger on my first ever Rolex. I am loooking at buying the Explorer but have noticed the prices in the grey market from Trusted Sellers are ticking up slowly.

So my question is, how much discount is enough to make you choose a TS over an AD?

If I can only save $300-$500 in the grey market over an AD is that worth it? With an AD you get your name on the warranty card, a brand new watch, all the original documentation (receipt), etc.

But at the same time money is money...and who doesn’t like saving money

Curious to hear everyone’s thoughts

Thanks
Do not think about it. Buy it from an official dealer. You will not regret it!!
Aventura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2018, 10:30 AM   #54
hbombkid
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub 116610
I say my threshold is 500, but definitely depends on your situation and buying habits.

I love trusted sellers, but I wonder for an extreme hard model say Daytona C and a great relationship with them how much of a deal could they give you / would they i.e. how close to MSRP?
hbombkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2018, 10:42 AM   #55
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
i just buy the seller. i prefer trusted sellers to ADs because i dont prefer to pay retail.

i lose out on popular watches now a days but its okay for me. even if it is luxury i want to get a good deal.

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2018, 12:56 PM   #56
porschejeff
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD 228238
$300-$500 is basically the sales tax on a Rolex . For that difference, I would go AD.
porschejeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2018, 01:06 PM   #57
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchwatcher View Post
More than 300-500.
Ditto
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2018, 01:08 PM   #58
Bigblu10
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by porschejeff View Post
$300-$500 is basically the sales tax on a Rolex . For that difference, I would go AD.
Maybe for a steel model, not even close for a PM though!
Bigblu10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2018, 01:29 PM   #59
Hard_Six
"TRF" Member

Watch: those three’s roll
For me its always about saving $$$. The AD experience isn't worth anything more than the watch to me. If I can get what I want from an AD for cheaper than grey, Ill buy from the AD. If not, I'll buy from the grey. Let's not sugar coat it... I'm in this for the watches, not the "Diet Coke".
Hard_Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2018, 01:30 PM   #60
Hard_Six
"TRF" Member

Watch: those three’s roll
Quote:
Originally Posted by Etschell View Post
i just buy the seller. i prefer trusted sellers to ADs because i dont prefer to pay retail.

i lose out on popular watches now a days but its okay for me. even if it is luxury i want to get a good deal.
I agree with this 100%
Hard_Six is offline   Reply With Quote