The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 25 January 2020, 04:49 AM   #1
CPRWATCH
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT Master
Who is John Mayer , I would say that he might be big in the USA ( only because he seems to be named in a number of threads ) but in the rest of the world he is probably an unknown .
CPRWATCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2020, 05:16 AM   #2
904VT
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by doramas View Post
If you believe that America is the world, yes, but if you were more rational, and knew that there are 7.3 billion people in the world, no.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb335 View Post
Fair pint. But this is coming from the USA site for GQ.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPRWATCH View Post
Who is John Mayer , I would say that he might be big in the USA ( only because he seems to be named in a number of threads ) but in the rest of the world he is probably an unknown .
Who is more influential globally then? He may not be known to everyone but it’s tough to name another close.

Tiger Woods is more well known globally, but I’m not sure he would be more influential since not everyone is wearing a 116660ln or 126660 d blue. And he is an enthusiast(not to mention diving enthusiast as well), even though more of a one or two watch kind of guy.

Perhaps Renaldo? Certainly more well known globally, but not many people wearing what he wears or any crazy demand for his watches he owns or has endorsed.

I’m puzzled to name a more influential collector today. Perhaps Charlie Sheen could’ve been argued in the past as well, but he doesn’t get as involved as JM nor has ever written watch articles like JM has for HODINKEE

Peter Stahl is pretty influential, but not too well known outside of a smaller community.
904VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2020, 05:22 AM   #3
doramas
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 904VT View Post
Who is more influential globally then? He may not be known to everyone but it’s tough to name another close.

Tiger Woods is more well known globally, but I’m not sure he would be more influential since not everyone is wearing a 116660ln or 126660 d blue. And he is an enthusiast(not to mention diving enthusiast as well), even though more of a one or two watch kind of guy.

Perhaps Renaldo? Certainly more well known globally, but not many people wearing what he wears or any crazy demand for his watches he owns or has endorsed.

I’m puzzled to name a more influential collector today. Perhaps Charlie Sheen could’ve been argued in the past as well, but he doesn’t get as involved as JM nor has ever written watch articles like JM has for HODINKEE
Close to you, but I repeat, you have to differentiate a country from the world. Some don't know the difference, or they live in a bubble.

Federer or Rafa Nadal are better known worldwide. One wears Rolex and the other Richard Mille
doramas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2020, 06:54 AM   #4
904VT
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doramas View Post
Close to you, but I repeat, you have to differentiate a country from the world. Some don't know the difference, or they live in a bubble.

Federer or Rafa Nadal are better known worldwide. One wears Rolex and the other Richard Mille
I didn’t ask though who was more well known I asked more influential in watch world. I doubt Rafael is influencing many. He wears Richard Millie which is in its own stratosphere. I’d argue Tiger is both more well known and influential globally as well than Roger. And none of them are really huge collectors outside of JM. A simple google search and I’m sure you and many others could easily understand who JM is. Just like any American can easily search Ronaldo if they didn’t already know him. I repeat as you say who is more influential. I understand USA is not the world as well and neither is JM just known only within the US just because you and others aren’t familiar
Old 25 January 2020, 08:12 AM   #5
doramas
Banned

Quote:
I didn’t ask though who was more well known I asked more influential in watch world. I doubt Rafael is influencing many. He wears Richard Millie which is in its own stratosphere. I’d argue Tiger is both more well known and influential globally as well than Roger. And none of them are really huge collectors outside of JM. A simple google search and I’m sure you and many others could easily understand who JM is. Just like any American can easily search Ronaldo if they didn’t already know him. I repeat as you say who is more influential. I understand USA is not the world as well and neither is JM just known only within the US just because you and others aren’t familiar
I think Nadal and Federer are better known in the world, because tennis is more popular than golf. What I have no doubt is that they are more exemplary than Tiger Woods
doramas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2020, 07:22 AM   #6
exador
Banned

Quote:
I’m puzzled to name a more influential collector today.
Ed Sheeran likes watches.

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/a-...rom-ed-sheeran
exador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2020, 09:13 AM   #7
904VT
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by exador View Post
Very nice collection and taste

He has some true gems in his collection. I’d still give the nod for influence to JM with his contributions on the content side at Hodinkee. Ed’s are more limited. JM did a heck of an article on the Black Bay from an artist’s perspective. Ed Sheeran is a newer collector than JM as well, but I’d put him right up there too. We should mention Eric Clapton as well, but perhaps not as influential as he used to be in the watch industry. Eric Clapton’s Slowhand at 70 performance at Royal Albert Hall was incredible. He performed wearing his 116610LN
Old 25 January 2020, 09:16 AM   #8
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
But, but, but China...lol

Quote:
Very nice collection and taste

He has some true gems in his collection. I’d still give the nod for influence to JM with his contributions on the content side at Hodinkee. Ed’s are more limited. JM did a heck of an article on the Black Bay from an artist’s perspective. Ed Sheeran is a newer collector than JM as well, but I’d put him right up there too. We should mention Eric Clapton as well, but perhaps not as influential as he used to be in the watch industry.
locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2020, 09:30 AM   #9
904VT
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus49 View Post

Old 25 January 2020, 10:12 AM   #10
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus49 View Post
Russia ftw as sooo many 'mericans seem obsessed with them.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2020, 06:12 AM   #11
Bigblu10
Banned

Quote:
He's an unknown here in the USA. Any mediocre musician will millions of dollars can collect high end watches. Big deal. The worship this guy gets is hilarious.
Bigblu10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2020, 06:17 AM   #12
sillo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5 Digit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigblu10 View Post
He's an unknown here in the USA.
I don't feel any particular way about him, but that's just not true. If you asked a bunch of random people on the street who John Mayer is I'd bet a significant portion of the people would know of him.

@TheGMTHand
sillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2020, 06:40 AM   #13
Brew
"TRF" Member

Quote:
He's an unknown here in the USA. Any mediocre musician will millions of dollars can collect high end watches. Big deal. The worship this guy gets is hilarious.

You should get out more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2020, 07:09 AM   #14
KBM
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brew View Post
You should get out more.

KBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2020, 07:14 AM   #15
exador
Banned

I get my collector tips from Bethenny Frankel.

exador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2020, 07:28 AM   #16
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

Lol - Im calling sticker police on her
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2020, 10:59 PM   #17
Rolex_AG
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116500LN
Quote:

she does have some beautiful pieces tho
Rolex_AG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2020, 07:23 AM   #18
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brew View Post
You should get out more.

brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2020, 08:51 AM   #19
RJRJRJ
"TRF" Member

Quote:

He's extremely well known. I don't know where you got your info from. The guy is a legit musician and one of the best guitar players in the world.
RJRJRJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2020, 07:44 AM   #20
Sublovin
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lots
Quote:
You are likely incorrect considering just last year he played shows in New Zealand, Honk Kong, Thailand and South Africa just to make a few.
Old 25 January 2020, 08:24 AM   #21
CPRWATCH
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublovin View Post
You are likely incorrect considering just last year he played shows in New Zealand, Honk Kong, Thailand and South Africa just to make a few.
But in the rest of the world he is still an unknown . I’ve learned from this thread he is a musician, is he a drummer or piano player .
Old 25 January 2020, 08:27 AM   #22
Bigblu10
Banned

Quote:
But in the rest of the world he is still an unknown . I’ve learned from this thread he is a musician, is he a drummer or piano player .
From what I heard he plays the flute.
Bigblu10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2020, 12:36 AM   #23
Oyster Al
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I just spit out my coffee. Can’t stop laughing. Oh man.....
Oyster Al is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2020, 08:36 AM   #24
Sublovin
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lots
Quote:
I guess you are trying to be cute. In 2013 he sold out Wembly stadium and played 6 other European cities, plus 17 in South America.
I’m not promoting his music, just get frustrated when people say nonsensical things without taking 30 seconds to use a search engine
Old 25 January 2020, 08:46 AM   #25
CPRWATCH
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I guess you are trying to be cute. In 2013 he sold out Wembly stadium and played 6 other European cities, plus 17 in South America.
I’m not promoting his music, just get frustrated when people say nonsensical things without taking 30 seconds to use a search engine
Not trying to be cute & your quite obviously a big fan . Mr Mayer has a large following & seems to be a big watch influencer but it really is within the USA .
Old 25 January 2020, 09:25 AM   #26
904VT
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I have to agree with Sublovin. He’s collaborated with Clapton and Eric has called him a master guitarist. If you don’t know who JM is you just don’t know music and it has nothing to do with country. Even if not your style he is widely considered one of the best guitarists in the world today. He was chosen by Bob Weir and other GD members to be the guitarist for Dead and Company. He also has played with Carlos Santana and BB King. Probably someone worth researching.
Old 26 January 2020, 02:52 AM   #27
zengineer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Do they have google where you live?

Sent from my Motorola Bag Phone
zengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2020, 08:23 AM   #28
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zengineer View Post
Do they have google where you live?

Sent from my Motorola Bag Phone
CONGRATULATIONS you win the Internet for the next hour

Sent from my Etch-A-Sketch using Fortran.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote