The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 7 February 2020, 10:43 AM   #31
sillo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5 Digit
Quote:
Originally Posted by swish77 View Post
I can confirm that Rolex Service Centers have new, stricter policies on all of this, whether it's just to get a service estimate (often as a means to authenticate), or just to buy a new bracelet or end links.

In years past, I've simply taken my vintage Rolex into the NYC RSC to buy a part, such as a GMT insert, or end links for a bracelet, which I did successfully for my 6263 a couple of years ago. You also get the benefit of Rolex paperwork on the watch.

Yesterday, I took my "new" DRSD to the NYC RSC with the bracelet but no end links and I asked to buy new 585s. (I already have 585 end links but they're a little nicked up so I wanted fresh ones.) After the watch was examined in the back room for about a half-hour, the service rep came back and said the watch was so rare (his words) that a "special team of vintage experts" would need to open up the watch to determine whether it needed a full service, and the service estimate would be $220. (I'd only get that money back if it was determined the watch needed a service and it would be applied to the cost.)

I told him the watch was running fine and I just needed the end links. He said they'd be happy to sell me the end links but only after the watch was opened up and further examined to determine if it needed a service. I pushed back even more and pointed out that I successfully bought end links for my 6263 bracelet at the same counter not long ago and that the transaction could be verified in their system. He said the policy had changed since then. I said no thanks, and took my DRSD back. Really annoying.
I basically had the same exact experience trying to get a new bezel assembly and crystal for my 16700.

@TheGMTHand
sillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2020, 01:22 AM   #32
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillo View Post
I basically had the same exact experience trying to get a new bezel assembly and crystal for my 16700.
Wow, crazy. The 16700 is a great watch (I have one too), but it's not even really vintage, and not even that old, relatively. Sounds like Rolex now has this BS policy on all of their watches, except presumably not newer watches still under warranty. So frustrating.
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2020, 03:48 AM   #33
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swish77 View Post
Wow, crazy. The 16700 is a great watch (I have one too), but it's not even really vintage, and not even that old, relatively. Sounds like Rolex now has this BS policy on all of their watches, except presumably not newer watches still under warranty. So frustrating.
It's supposedly due to genuine parts ending up on fake watches and making the fakes more difficult to spot, both for RSCs and buyers.

I don't agree with it but can see that standpoint having a valid argument. We're in strange times when it comes to the quality of fake watches and parts getting better by the day, especially in today's overhyped market.

But it genuinely sucks for those of us with genuine watches seeking genuine parts.
037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2020, 08:37 AM   #34
ravenhome777
"TRF" Member

I could imagine how this could get into a grey area quickly. Is RSC going to confiscate franken watches? There are degrees of franken watches. Where do they draw the line 90%? 80%?

Also, what if the RSC makes a mistake and they think something's a fake but it's actually just rare, but genuine?
ravenhome777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2020, 05:53 AM   #35
Abmatt2002
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126300
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeLord2 View Post
I have done this recently with my 1675 Rootbeer from around 1973. It also has a Tiffany stamp, which probably makes it double questionable to the people at Rolex. The watch was purchased by my father who never kept the box or any paperwork. I do want to get it serviced at some point and yes, I have heard horror stories about RSC but I have also heard horror stories about non-RSC places. I thought at least getting it authenticated by Rolex was a good starting place regardless of where I go for the service. They will also provide you with a strict replacement value but not necessarily the actual value. The watch should be appraised by somebody with some knowledge and experience if it is indeed vintage. Larry is right, the service estimate is not provenance now but it will be in the future. They took 4 weeks to authenticate and charged me for it. And no, I didn't get a cool green Rolex bag...
I know at one time Rolex did make watches for Tiffany, with Tiffany on the face. There was a antiques roadshow episode featuring one. Iirc they stopped because people were thinking the watches were a Tiffany brand, not a Rolex.
Abmatt2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2020, 06:56 AM   #36
TimeLord2
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT Master 1675/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abmatt2002 View Post
I know at one time Rolex did make watches for Tiffany, with Tiffany on the face. There was a antiques roadshow episode featuring one. Iirc they stopped because people were thinking the watches were a Tiffany brand, not a Rolex.
Here's Bob's Watches take on the Tiffany & Co thing: https://www.bobswatches.com/rolex-bl...any-dials.html
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Watch_34s.jpg (231.1 KB, 49 views)
TimeLord2 is offline   Reply With Quote