The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 21 February 2020, 12:46 PM   #1
GreatScott
"TRF" Member

Let’s talk about London

This is for you Londoners. Please do not reply unless you have first hand knowledge.

London seems to be in the news more than other places in regards to watch theft, stabbing an arm to get a watch, etc.

I am interested in what is not said in these stories. Are these people in parts of town that normal tourists never go? Do you think they were doing stupid stuff and not just wearing a watch like normal (bragging, etc.)? Or is theft that just more ramped there than other places?

I have never really felt on edge wearing nice watches wherever I go, but then again I tend to not do stupid stuff or go to places where my general sense of well being might be in jeopardy.

So what is it, what is up with these London stories?

Thanks
Old 21 February 2020, 05:35 PM   #2
rootbeer7
"TRF" Member

I live in London and worked in the centre for nearly 30 years, wearing Rolex and other watches for 25 years, Summer, Winter, on public transport and private car.

Right now and the last couple of years there has been a focus on attacks and social media has amplified this.

Many attacks are planned and targeted, and very often the reporting in the papers is many months after the attack, which leads to others being reported. The last high profile attack where the man had a Breguet taken, was as he left a Breguet watch event at a hotel. I also have friends who’ve been attacked after being followed driving very noticeable vehicles.

The attacks have slowed down as the police were allowed to knock the perpetrators off the motor bikes they were using in many of these attacks, and winter of course causes us to wear long sleeves and therefore more difficult to target.

The Summer also brings Middle Eastern tourists into London who bring with them incredible wealth, cars, and of course jewellery and watches, many in gold that they won’t wear at home. This immediately makes them a target and of course a focus for the reporting of it.

But, this is nothing new. My father got followed out of Town by robbers on a motorbike 25 years ago and attacked as the area we were living in was being targeted, as it was home to many celebrities and wealthy people.

For me, I’m cautious and always aware of my surroundings. Would I stop wearing my watches, absolutely not. Do I check more often who’s around me, yes I do.

There are probably close to 10m of us in London who don’t get attacked.
Old 21 February 2020, 05:46 PM   #3
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
That should about cover it.

Now how about Aberdeen?

Old 21 February 2020, 05:55 PM   #4
rootbeer7
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by directioneng View Post
That should about cover it.