The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 8 January 2020, 03:30 PM   #841
Phooi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzikman View Post
I love the Skydweller and think it maybe makes more sense than a datejust currently. But I stay in India and it’s time zone is GMT +5.30 hours! So how do I use the GMT function of the skydweller or any GMT watch for that matter if I am travelling to europe, US,Uk etc.? So I guess the GMT function of the skydweller or any other GMT watch becomes redundant for me in most cases, unless I’m travelling to those select few countries which have similar half hour time zones hence I think it’s better for me to just go for a datejust instead for my next purchase and save some money too

Wish there was a way to work around it. Since I also love the GMT master ii and would love to even add a root beer two tone or the Pepsi someday. And I know most would say it’s not about the function but the love for the watch and most people hardly ever use those added functions. But I’d like to have an option to use those functions and definitely would even use them if I’m paying such obscene amount for these watches!

If anyone has any knowledge about this particular issue, would be nice to know and also your views in general about this situation.

P.S. - currently own a steel sub black dial with date I purchased 2 years back.
For me, the reason I purchased the SkyD was for the annual calendar. The GMT function turned out to be a bonus for me.

Regarding the GMT issue, I don’t think you can resolve a 1/2 hour issue in your case. However, the GMT will still provide the proper hour difference from your home time to your local time. You will only have to remember whether to add or subtract the 1/2 hour.

Ultimately, you have to decide for yourself whether the features of the SkyD or GMTs are of value to you. For me, the SkyD is one of the best deals in watches.
Phooi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2020, 06:21 PM   #842
Hypeunot
"TRF" Member

Watch: this space
My first Rolex with fluted bezel.
And also the first in pm.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sky resized a.jpg (192.2 KB, 858 views)
Hypeunot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2020, 11:31 PM   #843
challer
"TRF" Member

Without a second minute hand, no gmt watch will really help in areas with 30 minute UTC offsets. Some say older Rolex GMTs with many more clicks on the bezel can recognize the offset but I could never distinguish it.
challer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2020, 11:33 PM   #844
challer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsan20 View Post
Why does the inner circle go to 24 is it for military time?
So you can tell if it’s day or night in the remote time zone.
Old 9 January 2020, 01:35 AM   #845
Depewja
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypeunot View Post
My first Rolex with fluted bezel.
And also the first in pm.
Love this one. This WG version made my decision tough back in 2016. Congratulations!
Depewja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2020, 05:06 AM   #846
Muzikman
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub (116610LN)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasTPE View Post
Same here, still drooling over SkyD.

GMT with a rotating bezel should be able to solve your problem~

Sent from my HTC_U-3u using Tapatalk
Oh really? The 1/2 hour time difference can be solved with a rotating bezel? Please let me know how do you think it could be possible because I searched all over the internet and didn’t find any article or video about that. Would be really helpful if you think it could be solved and throw some more light on it
Muzikman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2020, 05:12 AM   #847
Muzikman
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub (116610LN)
Icon10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phooi View Post
For me, the reason I purchased the SkyD was for the annual calendar. The GMT function turned out to be a bonus for me.

Regarding the GMT issue, I don’t think you can resolve a 1/2 hour issue in your case. However, the GMT will still provide the proper hour difference from your home time to your local time. You will only have to remember whether to add or subtract the 1/2 hour.

Ultimately, you have to decide for yourself whether the features of the SkyD or GMTs are of value to you. For me, the SkyD is one of the best deals in watches.
True. I’am drooling over Blue face Steel SkyD and the rose gold GMT master ii pics almost everyday! More so on the SkyD though lol. So might just buy it anyway, if life throws an opportunity 😁
Muzikman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2020, 09:29 AM   #848
JasTPE
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
Quote:
Oh really? The 1/2 hour time difference can be solved with a rotating bezel? Please let me know how do you think it could be possible because I searched all over the internet and didn’t find any article or video about that. Would be really helpful if you think it could be solved and throw some more light on it
I haven't tried it myself, and I don't own a GMT with a 24hr bezel, but if you turn it a quarter of the way between two Hour-indices, that should give you a half an hour shift? Maybe?
Really have to try and see.

JasTPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2020, 11:24 AM   #849
challer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Current GMT no. But older ones had more than enough “clicks.” But I could never read it reliably
Old 9 January 2020, 12:05 PM   #850
Todd Turbo S
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP, Rolex, PAM
Here’s mine, although just sent back to Rolex, Intermittently stops working and loses 1 to 2 hours a day...
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 27F3286E-067F-4FC3-99CB-5C267BE4C8B9.jpeg (116.6 KB, 804 views)
Todd Turbo S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2020, 12:58 PM   #851
JasTPE
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Turbo S View Post
Here’s mine, although just sent back to Rolex, Intermittently stops working and loses 1 to 2 hours a day...
Very nice!

The stopping, is it a common issue? Magnetised? Under warranty I assume.

Old 9 January 2020, 03:35 PM   #852
Todd Turbo S
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Very nice!

The stopping, is it a common issue? Magnetised? Under warranty I assume.

Thanks, no, not common. Not Magnetized. I very rarely wear it, maybe once a month. Initially, thought it might of been my watch winder, but it wasn’t. My AD said it’s the first Sky dweller he’s had to send into Rolex under Warranty.

My AD said it will take a long time before I see the watch returned, as Rolex shut down for a month and there are only 5 Rolex watchmakers that can work on sky dwellers.
Old 9 January 2020, 04:02 PM   #853
JasTPE
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks, no, not common. Not Magnetized. I very rarely wear it, maybe once a month. Initially, thought it might of been my watch winder, but it wasn’t. My AD said it’s the first Sky dweller he’s had to send into Rolex under Warranty.

My AD said it will take a long time before I see the watch returned, as Rolex shut down for a month and there are only 5 Rolex watchmakers that can work on sky dwellers.
Wow, sorry to hear that! Hope you will get it back soon!
I am contemplating on the SkyD, love the functions and the whole design. Most likely will get a TT, but can't decide on dial colour.....

Old 10 January 2020, 12:40 PM   #854
Todd Turbo S
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Wow, sorry to hear that! Hope you will get it back soon!
I am contemplating on the SkyD, love the functions and the whole design. Most likely will get a TT, but can't decide on dial colour.....

You will not regret it. Quite honestly it wasn't even on my radar until my AD called and said she had something special for me to consider.

I haven't tried on any other face colors, but I can tell you the Blue faced SS is "Stunning" in person. It's not too heavy and I have a smaller wrist, still fits like a glove and very comfortable. IMO, very reasonably priced, considering its a complication watch.

I like the fact that you don't see many and I'm told there are only 5 Rolex watch makers certified to work on them, apparently very slow production.

Good luck
Old 10 January 2020, 01:26 PM   #855
JasTPE
"TRF" Member

Quote:
You will not regret it. Quite honestly it wasn't even on my radar until my AD called and said she had something special for me to consider.

I haven't tried on any other face colors, but I can tell you the Blue faced SS is "Stunning" in person. It's not too heavy and I have a smaller wrist, still fits like a glove and very comfortable. IMO, very reasonably priced, considering its a complication watch.

I like the fact that you don't see many and I'm told there are only 5 Rolex watch makers certified to work on them, apparently very slow production.

Good luck
Hey Todd, thanks for sharing your experience! The more I learn about SkyD, the more I love/want this beauty. I passed on a TT white dial. Did not put a deposit down for a black dial which was already available, Now I shall be back on the search again. Still can't decide on the colour!!

Old 11 January 2020, 12:57 PM   #856
Todd Turbo S
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Hey Todd, thanks for sharing your experience! The more I learn about SkyD, the more I love/want this beauty. I passed on a TT white dial. Did not put a deposit down for a black dial which was already available, Now I shall be back on the search again. Still can't decide on the colour!!

You're welcome, you can't go wrong with any of the colored dials, it's a great time piece.
Old 11 January 2020, 01:31 PM   #857
notchview
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD 326933 Black
Quote:

TT with the black dial is amazing, highly recommend. You need to see it in-person, photos online aren't the same.
notchview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2020, 02:29 PM   #858
JasTPE
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by notchview View Post
TT with the black dial is amazing, highly recommend. You need to see it in-person, photos online aren't the same.
There is one at the local boutique, man I need to go and try it on! This is me with the white dial!

Old 12 January 2020, 06:29 PM   #859
usmc_k9_vet
"TRF" Member

Just read through all 858 posts! This is currently my favorite Rolex as I think it looks great with any dial and in any of the metals, although I think the earlier versions in precious metals with the numbers and Roman numerals looked very luxurious and warm! I say all of this not having ever owned a Rolex, but trying to get into my first one. It will likely be an SS model, but like a lot of people out there, I like the blue dial the best, but see it going used for $23k; $9k over MSRP! I won’t spend that kind of money. Tried on a Rolesor with black dial version yesterday at my AD and that may be the ticket. I am a muscular dude, so I like the look of a 42mm+ watch on my wrist; anything smaller in case diameter tends to look a bit too small.

Anyway, thanks everyone for the great pics and info. I hope to be able to post a pic of mine in this thread in the future. I also really like the new Rolesor version of the Sea Dweller that was released in 2019! I wish Rolex would do the YM 42mm in SS on their Oysterflex bracelet too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
usmc_k9_vet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2020, 11:47 PM   #860
archer1021
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them!

archer1021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2020, 03:36 PM   #861
JasTPE
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmc_k9_vet View Post
Just read through all 858 posts! This is currently my favorite Rolex as I think it looks great with any dial and in any of the metals, although I think the earlier versions in precious metals with the numbers and Roman numerals looked very luxurious and warm! I say all of this not having ever owned a Rolex, but trying to get into my first one. It will likely be an SS model, but like a lot of people out there, I like the blue dial the best, but see it going used for $23k; $9k over MSRP! I won’t spend that kind of money. Tried on a Rolesor with black dial version yesterday at my AD and that may be the ticket. I am a muscular dude, so I like the look of a 42mm+ watch on my wrist; anything smaller in case diameter tends to look a bit too small.

Anyway, thanks everyone for the great pics and info. I hope to be able to post a pic of mine in this thread in the future. I also really like the new Rolesor version of the Sea Dweller that was released in 2019! I wish Rolex would do the YM 42mm in SS on their Oysterflex bracelet too!

Have fun hunting!! Look forward to the wrist shots.

Old 21 February 2020, 12:59 PM   #862
SpicyMikey
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyDweller 326933
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuibono View Post
Mine says hello again...

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk
Looming for this exact watch right now. Love it!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
SpicyMikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2020, 10:37 PM   #863
KaVo8
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes, Please!
Quote:

I’ve seen a TT White dial NIB listed in the for sale section here below MSRP by one of the trusted seller. I went with the SS White dial, the white dial looks so dreamy in person. I will post photos once I have a chance. Good luck in your search.

Old 25 February 2020, 10:50 PM   #864
RTG
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sky-Dweller
Third time falling for a Sky-Dweller. By far the most beautiful watch I have ever owned. The rosegold and rhodium constantly change their look depending on lighting. I just stare at this thing for entertainment
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 03087D23-E4A6-4B62-9F96-C48059A5F42E.jpeg (109.4 KB, 514 views)
RTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2020, 10:53 PM   #865
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
I like viewing this thread as I am becoming a fan of the SkyD watch.
Old 25 February 2020, 10:57 PM   #866
SpicyMikey
"TRF" Member

I just got a new sky dweller. I love the complications and how it looks. But I have a question. I notice that when I change the hours alone from position 2, and I passed midnight, the date changes forward appropriately. But if I go backwards past midnight again it does not reverse. Is it supposed to do that or does my watch have a problem? If it's supposed to do that I can't understand the logic. Anybody have any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Old 26 February 2020, 12:05 AM   #867
JasTPE
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaVo8 View Post
I’ve seen a TT White dial NIB listed in the for sale section here below MSRP by one of the trusted seller. I went with the SS White dial, the white dial looks so dreamy in person. I will post photos once I have a chance. Good luck in your search.

Thank Kevin! I would love to take a look!

Congrats on the SS white dial!

JasTPE
Old 26 February 2020, 12:30 AM   #868
jon54
Banned

Good one Sam.
jon54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2020, 12:51 AM   #869
diracpoint
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpicyMikey View Post
I just got a new sky dweller. I love the complications and how it looks. But I have a question. I notice that when I change the hours alone from position 2, and I passed midnight, the date changes forward appropriately. But if I go backwards past midnight again it does not reverse. Is it supposed to do that or does my watch have a problem? If it's supposed to do that I can't understand the logic. Anybody have any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

That’s normal. Unlike GMT Master II, the date doesn’t change backwards with the jumping hour hand. You’ll have to change the date from position 1 of the bezel. And then you’ll have to move the jumping hour hand one full cycle to get the correct am/pm setting.

Due to this I personally find GMT master to be better suited for travel. But, on the other hand, unlike sky-d, it doesn’t have a quick set date.

Enjoy your new watch!
diracpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2020, 01:47 AM   #870
SpicyMikey
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diracpoint View Post
That’s normal. Unlike GMT Master II, the date doesn’t change backwards with the jumping hour hand. You’ll have to change the date from position 1 of the bezel. And then you’ll have to move the jumping hour hand one full cycle to get the correct am/pm setting.

Due to this I personally find GMT master to be better suited for travel. But, on the other hand, unlike sky-d, it doesn’t have a quick set date.

Enjoy your new watch!
Thanks for the quick response and confirmation!   I suspected it was "by design" but seemed weird.   Regarding making a full cycle around the dial; I noticed that myself when the date did not change automatically this morning.  So I guess the rule is that when you change the date manually, it resets the time to 00:00 hrs.

Regardless, love the watch.  I was looking for more of a "dress watch" but wanted to be able to feel comfortable wearing with Jeans and a T shirt as well as a suit.   Thought hard, and in the end decided on a 326933 with a white dial. My fashionista daughters gave me the thumbs up so that's good   It is definitely a large watch but it fits comfortably on my wrist (7 1/4").  Not a problem at all.