The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 21 February 2020, 08:10 AM   #91
SDR581
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR 116610LN DJ41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdoc26 View Post
I really think Rolex should abandon the retail outlet model and open their own website, take orders, assign a priority number and wait time. Take a non-refundable deposit and cut out the middle man. I would feel much better knowing that I was number 3,495 on the list with an expected delivery in 3 years than being insulted by some hourly wage idiot in a wrinkled JC Penney suit laughing at me when I ask about a stainless steel submariner.
+1

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
SDR581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2020, 08:46 AM   #92
RobertB
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116718LN Green
all these AD's hide there stuff in the safe , they will only show it to there good customers that spend 100k a year or more with them or they will sell it behind close doors for more profits ... there is no such thing as waiting list that long.. these AD's are making more profit now then before... selling to grey market dealers
RobertB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2020, 08:51 AM   #93
Rickn
"TRF" Member

Watch: Green Sub
Honestly the current state of affairs with Rolex availability leaves a strong distaste in my mouth. It really imo ruins the joy of collecting when you can’t even try on a watch you want.
Rickn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2020, 09:14 AM   #94
Rags2Rolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub ND/GMT II SS
The real sad story is being a reputable AD and having your inventory hinge on 1 specific brand that can keep your lights on or put your lights out with one Tysonesque Punch. This is almost like a New Yorker Comic Strip come to life scenario!
Rags2Rolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2020, 11:31 AM   #95
mcnealstash
Banned

Watch: 116610LN, 116500LN
Quote:
I really think Rolex should abandon the retail outlet model and open their own website, take orders, assign a priority number and wait time. Take a non-refundable deposit and cut out the middle man. I would feel much better knowing that I was number 3,495 on the list with an expected delivery in 3 years than being insulted by some hourly wage idiot in a wrinkled JC Penney suit laughing at me when I ask about a stainless steel submariner.
Wow-I'm finding it very easy to understand why you haven't gotten any of that sweet, sweet steel yet from the AD

The truth is that Rolex is already scaling back their product being in mom and pop jewelry shops and are only working with the biggest and most reputable jewelers in the world. My local AD got their dealership status revoked in January 2020 and I know that it's happening across the USA -they just weren't big enough and couldn't reinvest the capital Rolex required to create a $500,000 showroom. It's a bummer and will likely lead to them going out of business.

They will never do online business as you describe because they want to make sure their product gets into the hands of celebrities, royalty, athletes, and other VIPs first before it gets into yours. Those individuals will always be given preferential treatment (so long as they don't demand a daytona like an entitled jerk while insulting their JC Penney suits) compared to Joe Schmo.

It is a completely ridiculous idea that somebody who clicked "order now" 1 second faster than another individual is the one who gets a daytona while the other doesn't. Sounds like something foot locker would do for a Jordan release. Rolex is far smarter than that and understands that allocation of coveted pieces to VIPs is free marketing.
mcnealstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2020, 11:36 AM   #96
dchernikoff
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnealstash View Post
Wow-I'm finding it very easy to understand why you haven't gotten any of that sweet, sweet steel yet from the AD

The truth is that Rolex is already scaling back their product being in mom and pop jewelry shops and are only working with the biggest and most reputable jewelers in the world. My local AD got their dealership status revoked in January 2020 and I know that it's happening across the USA -they just weren't big enough and couldn't reinvest the capital Rolex required to create a $500,000 showroom. It's a bummer and will likely lead to them going out of business.

They will never do online business as you describe because they want to make sure their product gets into the hands of celebrities, royalty, athletes, and other VIPs first before it gets into yours. Those individuals will always be given preferential treatment (so long as they don't demand a daytona like an entitled jerk while insulting their JC Penney suits) compared to Joe Schmo.

It is a completely ridiculous idea that somebody who clicked "order now" 1 second faster than another individual is the one who gets a daytona while the other doesn't. Sounds like something foot locker would do for a Jordan release. Rolex is far smarter than that and understands that allocation of coveted pieces to VIPs is free marketing.
I don't see why it's an "either / or" situation. Rolex could set aside an allocation of XX watches to sell/give directly to celebrities, and put the rest on the web page to sell. Easy peasy.

However that hardly is in line with creating a deluxe, prestigious brand, so they're never going to do that. And I hope they don't. What I'd RATHER see is them putting more SS stock in the stores so I can try before I buy! But that ain't gonna happen either!

-Dan
"Wear the watch, don't let the watch wear you!"
dchernikoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2020, 11:39 AM   #97
uhren917
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710 BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchLurv View Post
How do you know this?
I dont for 100% certain, but based on they havent cut employment, their employees and execs probably want to make more money year after year, they need to make more revenue year over year, the chances of them cutting production are about 1%.
uhren917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2020, 11:49 AM   #98
mcnealstash
Banned

Watch: 116610LN, 116500LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by dchernikoff View Post
I don't see why it's an "either / or" situation. Rolex could set aside an allocation of XX watches to sell/give directly to celebrities, and put the rest on the web page to sell. Easy peasy.

However that hardly is in line with creating a deluxe, prestigious brand, so they're never going to do that. And I hope they don't. What I'd RATHER see is them putting more SS stock in the stores so I can try before I buy! But that ain't gonna happen either!

-Dan
Just go to a grey dealer- you should have no trouble trying on all the hot models there.
mcnealstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2020, 12:47 PM   #99
SDREW22
"TRF" Member

Watch: TOG
I stopped at Tourneau in Naples yesterday. The AD side of the store was bare bones. Just like every AD. The other side of the shop was loaded with just about any model you could think of. Used and "pre owned" like new in the box. It was nice seeing a full display case for a change.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
SDREW22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2020, 01:23 PM   #100
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnealstash View Post

Excellent post
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2020, 01:36 PM   #101
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigblu10 View Post
Pams aren't even in the same league as Rolex. Let me know when you see dust on the Pateks, APs and Omegas.

I can do that!

The Mayors in Palm Beach Gardens Florida "replaced" Rolex with Omega about a year ago.

Mayors wouldn't pony up for a new Rolex boutique in that location. Hamilton across the mall did and built a lovely, modern boutiquette for Rolex..

In the months that followed I would stop by that Mayors store periodically and I noticed that none of the Omegas had shifted spots in the case. It was the same ones from day 1. Hmmm...I didn't see dust per se, but it was like they were frozen in time...

Then Mayors added WIS darling Grand Seiko to the mix. Surely that will replace Rolex???

Unfortunately not. The Mayors location at PBG mall has now closed.

The Hamilton? Doing great. Always customers in the Rolex section working with SA's to obtain a Rolex.

A sparsely merchandised Rolex display trumps a fully stocked Omega display every single time.

People have more disposable income than ever, made through streams not possible even 10yrs ago. They want Rolex.
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2020, 02:57 PM   #102
Cwillis0001
"TRF" Member

Watch: Mickey Mouse
Quote:
being insulted by some hourly wage idiot in a wrinkled JC Penney suit laughing at me when I ask about a stainless steel submariner.
That sounds like it's really tough on your ego. I don't have any personal experience in being that fragile, but if you're willing to share I'm likewise willing to listen to your troubles. Let it out.
Cwillis0001 is offline   Reply With Quote