The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

View Poll Results: Would you buy a Speedmaster
Yay 275 93.54%
Nay 19 6.46%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 294. You may not vote on this poll

Old 22 January 2020, 10:37 PM   #31
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
If it is the standard hesalite moonwatch you are looking at you can do better than $4K from a trusted seller. Should be able to get $3.5K or even lower.
samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2020, 12:44 PM   #32
Singslinger
"TRF" Member

I have one only - the "From the Moon to Mars'' model.

Happy with it but not looking to add any more.
Singslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2020, 01:50 PM   #33
Pantheon
Banned

Watch: VC and AP
Omega makes good watches but they milk the moon watch so much I find it nauseating. Its a good looking and time tested watch design but the marketing is so cringe on top of its 500 versions.
Pantheon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2020, 06:31 PM   #34
mnmallen
"TRF" Member

A different take but I love my Mk 40 triple calandar
mnmallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2020, 10:48 AM   #35
Dave455
"TRF" Member

Well, I’m a diehard Rolex fan. My father owned one, I own several, I love them all, and probably haven’t got the space here to explain why.

And yet, there are some things I believe other manufacturers do better, chronographs being one of them. Don’t get me wrong, the Daytona is a superbly made instrument, but for me it has always been the wrong side of the boundary between tool/instrument watches and luxury/dress watches. It’s definitely the latter.

If it’s a tool / instrument watch you want, you’re probably better off with a Speedmaster. It’s reliable, relatively legible, rugged, and sensibly sized. Sure, from a professional perspective there could be some improvements. Hesalite was o.k. then, you can do better now. (And a direct replacement with sapphire doesn’t really work due to the camber). Legibility could be better, (the minute marks could be bolder) and who uses a tachymetre scale?

But these are small details. Overall it’s a great watch. It works as well now as when it was introduced, and if Omega haven’t altered it a great deal, that’s probably for the best. Many classic functional designs have been ruined by ignorant designers who prioritise ‘style’ over function, but don’t understand the functionality at all. (Ever seen silver hands against a black face? Great in a showroom, invisible in a dark cockpit, but so many supposed pilots watches have them).

As an airline pilot who’s fortunate to fly a variety of aircraft, I favour my Rolex Explorer 2 or Tudor Black Bay GMT when I’m operating long haul, but then my A330 has two very legible chronographs on the instrument panel. If I’m flying a smaller aircraft, and may need a chronograph to time a procedural approach, it’s the Speedmaster on my wrist most times. (Well, maybe shared honours with my Sinn - perhaps an even better tool, but a bit slab sided compared to the Speedmaster!)

So this Rolex owner says go for a Speedmaster, bracelet or strap as you prefer. And don’t worry too much about residual values, it’s only an issue if you sell, and in my experience it’s one to keep!
Dave455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2020, 10:57 PM   #36
sl954
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega SMP300
I have a SMP300, id like to buy a Speedmaster
sl954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2020, 12:37 AM   #37
Arcticsub
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantheon View Post
Omega makes good watches but they milk the moon watch so much I find it nauseating. Its a good looking and time tested watch design but the marketing is so cringe on top of its 500 versions.
How is this is different from the countless Domino's, Saudi/Kuwaiti/Egyptian military forces datejusts out there? Not to mention the seemingly endless variety within the standard DJ lineup.
Arcticsub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2020, 10:48 AM   #38
drjrhc
"TRF" Member

Watch: Calibre 11 Monaco
Quote:
Originally Posted by djgallo View Post
When I think of Omega....I see..

Unlimited limited editions - dilutes the brand

Little to no luxury recognition

Almost all models lose value

Inferior style compared to Rolex

So no, I would not spend my money on a Speedmaster....

What a narrow viewpoint.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
drjrhc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2020, 04:11 PM   #39
Galaga167
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT Master 2
I used to think it was one of the most overrated watches in the world and then I tried one on. They are a masterpiece and will be my next significant watch purchase.
Galaga167 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2020, 02:02 AM   #40
anonymousmoose
"TRF" Member

I should love the speedmaster, it has all the hallmarks of a great watch. It has history, is associated with one of mankind's greatest achievements. Omega is my favourite brand. It just doesn't sing to me, which is such a shame.

I had the speedy reduced and sold it after some time wearing it.

I do love some of speedmaster pro variants, the early snoopy and moon to mars dial. I'm missed out on both.

For me the IWC pilot makes the best looking chronograph
Old 9 February 2020, 03:46 PM   #41
DCheeta
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave455 View Post
Well, I’m a diehard Rolex fan. My father owned one, I own several, I love them all, and probably haven’t got the space here to explain why.

And yet, there are some things I believe other manufacturers do better, chronographs being one of them. Don’t get me wrong, the Daytona is a superbly made instrument, but for me it has always been the wrong side of the boundary between tool/instrument watches and luxury/dress watches. It’s definitely the latter.

If it’s a tool / instrument watch you want, you’re probably better off with a Speedmaster. It’s reliable, relatively legible, rugged, and sensibly sized. Sure, from a professional perspective there could be some improvements. Hesalite was o.k. then, you can do better now. (And a direct replacement with sapphire doesn’t really work due to the camber). Legibility could be better, (the minute marks could be bolder) and who uses a tachymetre scale?

But these are small details. Overall it’s a great watch. It works as well now as when it was introduced, and if Omega haven’t altered it a great deal, that’s probably for the best. Many classic functional designs have been ruined by ignorant designers who prioritise ‘style’ over function, but don’t understand the functionality at all. (Ever seen silver hands against a black face? Great in a showroom, invisible in a dark cockpit, but so many supposed pilots watches have them).

As an airline pilot who’s fortunate to fly a variety of aircraft, I favour my Rolex Explorer 2 or Tudor Black Bay GMT when I’m operating long haul, but then my A330 has two very legible chronographs on the instrument panel. If I’m flying a smaller aircraft, and may need a chronograph to time a procedural approach, it’s the Speedmaster on my wrist most times. (Well, maybe shared honours with my Sinn - perhaps an even better tool, but a bit slab sided compared to the Speedmaster!)

So this Rolex owner says go for a Speedmaster, bracelet or strap as you prefer. And don’t worry too much about residual values, it’s only an issue if you sell, and in my experience it’s one to keep!
Such a fantastic, thoughtful & well-written response. I also happen to agree with you on every point.
DCheeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2020, 10:05 AM   #42
ghcpa9
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex DSSD
A moonwatch is on my radar
ghcpa9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2020, 03:08 PM   #43
kuarian
"TRF" Member

Watch: Grand Seiko SBGH26
I say it's one of the most iconic watches of all time. Also, arguably one of the most versatile and bang-for-the-buck watch out there.
kuarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2020, 07:01 PM   #44
shalako
"TRF" Member

There is so much variation with the Speedmaster, I own these two, this one is beautiful with a White Gold Bezel and of course Moonphase function - which I’ve always thought was the perfect extra complication for the ‘Moon watch’.

More recently I bought this one, incredible dial.

shalako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2020, 02:12 AM   #45
m j b
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕& Ω
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdstr View Post
acquired one a few months back. I love the legibility of it; better to me than the Daytona.
Ditto. I've owned two Daytonas, and I couldn't tell what time it was on either one of them. No such issues with the Speedmaster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalako View Post
There is so much variation with the Speedmaster...
True that. I bought the "sapphire sandwich" which is the Speedy Pro with a sapphire crystal face and display back (hence the nickname). I know that hesalite is "authentic" and all that, but I prefer the scratch resistance and shiny reflections of the sapphire.

Then I went crazy and bought the one below, which I am wearing today. It's all ceramic with the funky skeleton face, also with a display back which is even cooler with this movement, to commemorate the Apollo 8 mission. Yeah, it was too much money, but still cheaper than a Daytona.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSOTM.jpg (256.3 KB, 250 views)
File Type: jpg 20200211_104524.jpg (278.0 KB, 252 views)

Disclaimer: Please note that the avatar is not an accurate representation of how I look. The camera adds 10 pounds...
m j b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2020, 07:49 AM   #46
mmaggi
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymousmoose View Post
I should love the speedmaster, it has all the hallmarks of a great watch. It has history, is associated with one of mankind's greatest achievements. Omega is my favourite brand. It just doesn't sing to me, which is such a shame.

I had the speedy reduced and sold it after some time wearing it.

I do love some of speedmaster pro variants, the early snoopy and moon to mars dial. I'm missed out on both.

For me the IWC pilot makes the best looking chronograph
Don't get me wrong: I like the IWC Pilot Auto-Chrono. Always have. But it doesn't have a tachymetre and that's probably why I'll never own one. Although it's a great choice for most pilots, the ultimate pilot watch is the Speedmaster. It was worn on the moon and used in all NASA missions to the moon.
mmaggi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2020, 02:03 PM   #47
Galaga167
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT Master 2
I may end up selling my Tudor Black Bay blue ETA to partially find a new Omega Speedmaster. However I’m waiting on the new movement which is a certified chronometer and hackable. I think it’s called the 3861.
Galaga167 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2020, 04:25 AM   #48
mmaggi
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaga167 View Post
I may end up selling my Tudor Black Bay blue ETA to partially find a new Omega Speedmaster. However I’m waiting on the new movement which is a certified chronometer and hackable. I think it’s called the 3861.
The 3861 Metas certified movement can be found in this reference 310.20.42.50.01.001

https://www.omegawatches.com/en-us/w...31020425001001
mmaggi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2020, 04:52 AM   #49
Doc Savage
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Submariner 124060
I really enjoyed my Speedmaster. I sold it, among other reasons, because it wore a bit large on my wrist, but it's a fantastic watch.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Speedy on NATO forum size.jpg (97.4 KB, 232 views)

-Edward O. Wilson
Doc Savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2020, 04:16 PM   #50
Wobbly
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singslinger View Post
I have one only - the "From the Moon to Mars'' model.

Happy with it but not looking to add any more.
I have the same model, and like you, I enjoy it, but don’t feel like adding another.
Wobbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2020, 04:44 PM   #51
Joearch
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona + GMT BLNR
I got one 4-5 months ago and sold it a few months later. Did not like the feel during winding. Just not a keeper for me. Had SS bracelet and custom croc strap made but just no wrist time. Preferred a Rolex + Panerai blend. Did like the Speedy look.
Joearch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2020, 05:05 PM   #52
htc8p
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710 ln
the moonwatch is what closed out my collection. it's historic plus i got a real tool watch
htc8p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2020, 05:49 PM   #53
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Savage View Post
I really enjoyed my Speedmaster. I sold it, among other reasons, because it wore a bit large on my wrist, but it's a fantastic watch.
42mm is on the big side for what i prefer... the new release is 39mm and i am looking forward to trying it out.
Old 16 February 2020, 12:52 AM   #54
cgaites
"TRF" Member

If you care about, “perception of luxury” and whatnot, then the Speedy is not the watch for you. It’s look is much more like that of an old time piece of laboratory equipment then a modern luxury watch. It looks great, but in the way a 5513 Sub looks great, and not in the way a 6 digit Sub or GMT looks great. Essential, it is a vintage watch you just happen to be able to buy new today.

Regarding resale, the going rate for a new Speedy from a trusted seller seems to be just a hair under $4K these days. Pretty much any decent condition Speedy will fetch >$3K on the 2nd hand market, and they are quite liquid, so there isn’t a whole lot of risk there. I bought my Speedy in the early 2000s for ~$1K, and today it is probably worth closer to $4K (it is a ref 145.022, not a modern version).
cgaites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2020, 08:19 PM   #55
Sandpit
"TRF" Member

Well, i put my money where my vote went and I picked up a brand new hesalite moonwatch at the weekend. I've never actually spent any time with one that wasn't hidden behind the protective stickers.

I must say I am over the moon with this piece (pun intended). There are so many interesting angles to it and the quality of everything is just outstanding. This now replaces my black Tag Aquaracer as my go to daily.

For anyone on the fence - just do it. Staring at pictures online just doesn't do this watch an justice.

My ONLY slight gripe is the lack of minor adjustment in the clasp - but I can easily rectify that by switching it out for an adjustable one. I will see how my wrist holds up in the summer heat.
Sandpit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2020, 08:22 PM   #56
efthi
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610LV
Iconic piece for every collection, hesalite version as the sapphire doesn’t have the same curvature and visual effect

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
efthi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2020, 08:36 PM   #57
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5205R
Quote:
Originally Posted by djgallo View Post
When I think of Omega....I see..

Unlimited limited editions - dilutes the brand
Little to no luxury recognition
Almost all models lose value
Inferior style compared to Rolex

So no, I would not spend my money on a Speedmaster....
There’s absolutely nothing inferior about Omega compared to Rolex. Not in their movements or build quality. The only problem with Omega is no rap stars wear it as of yet. If that ever happens they’ll grow in popularity to the same level as Rolex. Your statement on little to no luxury recognition is correct. That’s the reason why Rolex is so popular. 95% of Rolex buyers have no idea of the build quality or heritage they only want the recognition of owning a luxury watch. I also agree Omega does go overboard with Limited editions but so do most other brands.

OP any true watch enthusiasts should have a speedmaster in their collection. Just history behind it is enough to justify getting one plus it’s not that expensive. It’s a very cool watch. It’s also a great under the radar watch if you don’t want to draw much attention. Only WIS would know what it was and that has lots of benefits to a watch enthusiast that loves looking at his watch but finds himself in a situation that day when he doesn’t want anyone else looking/noticing it.

Pride goes before destruction, and haughtiness before a fall.

Often times unbelief is disguised as wisdom

Instagram - patton250
Patton250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2020, 10:56 PM   #58
1665fan
"TRF" Member

Do they currently produce a hesalite with sapphire back? So half sandwich lol?
1665fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2020, 11:37 PM   #59
Sandpit
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1665fan View Post
Do they currently produce a hesalite with sapphire back? So half sandwich lol?
They used to. It was nicknamed the Hesalite sandwich. Two models spring to mind are the 3592.50 and the 3572.50.
Sandpit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2020, 11:05 AM   #60
won01419
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by efthi View Post
Iconic piece for every collection, hesalite version as the sapphire doesn’t have the same curvature and visual effect

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
This is an awesome picture. What did you use it to take a pic?
won01419 is offline   Reply With Quote